PDA

View Full Version : Should the N.F.L. Bar Runners From Ramming Defenders With Helmets?

mesaSteeler
12-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Should the N.F.L. Bar Runners From Ramming Defenders With Helmets?
By TONI MONKOVIC
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/04/should-the-nfl-bar-runners-from-ramming-defenders-with-helmets/

In Judy Battista’s article in The Times today, she reported on “preliminary conversations about whether to prohibit running backs from lowering their helmets into defenders.”

Interview excerpts:

Viking running back Adrian Peterson
“I think it’s insane to tell a runner you can’t lower your head. We’ve got 11 guys coming at us, ankles and legs, back. You get really beat up. For me, that’s one way I put the boom on them, to try to make those guys think twice before they hit me again.”

The former running back Jerome Bettis
“If you continue to try to limit and control how the game is played from a rules standpoint, then ultimately you affect the game itself. It’s no longer true football.”

Rich McKay, co-chairman of the N.F.L.’s competition committee
“You will hear sometimes people say, ‘You’re going to change the way the game is played.’ All those things are fine and need to be considered, but at the end, player safety has to carry the day. The game will be fine, but you’ve got to be sure you get it right.”

Extra point: Do you agree with Bettis? Would it no longer be football?

fansince'76
12-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree with Bettis. One of the fundamentals of playing the RB position is to get low while running. Seems impossible to do without lowering one's head.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
This has got to stop now.

The game has been pussified enough. No more!

Vincent
12-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I'd love to hear Lambert weigh in on these "issues".

Nadroj 20
12-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Make the game two hand touch....

Come on these player no the risk involved with football and the defenders arent aloud to blast people in the helmet which is fine but imo that really is the best you can do without taking more away from the game...its a contact sport and these guys know what they are involved with

I think playes risk of brain injury can be prevented simply by treating concussions better and not coming back too soon

Edman
12-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Goodell: Hey, we've driven the league down with these hypocritical rules, may as well take the leap.

X-Terminator
12-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, let's do everything in our power to pussify the sport so much that it's barely watchable. Then, when the popularity of the sport plummets, sit back and wonder why it's happening. What's next, putting the NFL on an obscure station that nobody gets? Oh wait, that's already been done...

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 11:18 PM
they should go back to leather helmets....:noidea:

devilsdancefloor
12-04-2009, 11:33 PM
one of the first things i EVER learned when playing football is low man wins. this is insane! Lambert would issue the skirts himself

Galax Steeler
12-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Bettis is correct I think they have placed way to many rules all ready. Football is a sport of contact seems to me they are trying to take the contact out of it.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-05-2009, 07:15 AM
It already isn't football and I feel sorry for those who did not get to witness the real sport.

HometownGal
12-05-2009, 09:06 AM
NO, NO and NO. That is all.

fansince'76
12-05-2009, 09:10 AM
they should go back to leather helmets....:noidea:

Or start wearing these:

http://www.cr8agift.co.uk/images/BALLERINA.jpg

Rich McKay, co-chairman of the N.F.L.’s competition committee
“You will hear sometimes people say, ‘You’re going to change the way the game is played.’ All those things are fine and need to be considered, but at the end, player safety has to carry the day. The game will be fine, but you’ve got to be sure you get it right.”

This is what really bothers me. The league's suits have become so arrogant that they think they can make any change and the game won't suffer. They're going to wind up completely wrecking this league before it's all said and done.

Gnutella
12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
With each new rule like this, I get angrier and angrier at Bill Polian. That stooge has opened Pandora's box. Yet somehow, the Colts are this "paragon of virtue" in the NFL, while the Steelers and Patriots -- REAL football teams that know how to smack you in the mouth -- are labeled "cheaters." It's total bullsh*t.

steelreserve
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey, on the bright side, if they take this type of bullshit too far, maybe next time they have a strike, a league like the UFL actually WILL work.

KeiselPower99
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I want football back.