PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Scary/Horror Movies

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm an avid collector of horror movies and love talking about them. So I thought this thread would be cool to talk about the best ones of all time, as well as new ones that have come out.

My all time fav is the Excorcist, I think it is the precursor for all true horror movies! A couple that I saw recently that I thought was cool was Paranormal Activity and The Fourth Kind, although I know some don't care for those types.

Vincent
12-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Our last two :horror: "performances" :horror: against the Bengals were sufficiently horrifying for me.

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Our last two :horror: "performances" :horror: against the Bengals were sufficiently horrifying for me.

You guys will be fine, you'll make the playoffs!!:thumbsup:Do you have a favorite scary movie?

Vincent
12-04-2009, 09:25 PM
You guys will be fine, you'll make the playoffs!!:thumbsup:Do you have a favorite scary movie?

The obama "administration" for 500 Alex.

tony hipchest
12-04-2009, 09:27 PM
i like them but so many fall short. i love evildead 2 and army of darkness.

theres one that i cant seem to remember or find. its italian and dubbed from the late 80's early 90's called either "premature burial" or "buried alive". it has an excellent scene of bathtub dismemberment and cannibalism plus a great scene of a lady getting her nails ripped out with pliers.

also "the pit and the pendulum" from like '91.

excellent suspense and gore (im more into the gore than the horror, as the horror usually falls flat for me).

im watching "unbreakable" again right now, but i like m night shamalamadingdong movies (especially 6th sense).

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 09:31 PM
i like them but so many fall short. i love evildead 2 and army of darkness.

theres one that i cant seem to remember or find. its italian and dubbed from the late 80's early 90's called either "premature burial" or "buried alive". it has an excellent scene of bathtub dismemberment and cannibalism plus a great scene of a lady getting her nails ripped out with pliers.

also "the pit and the pendulum" from like '91.

excellent suspense and gore (im more into the gore than the horror, as the horror usually falls flat for me).

As a gore fan, have you seen Cannibal Holocaust? In it's day, it was kind of out there. Seems pretty tame watching it now. Hostile was a decent modern day, IMO.

BrandonCarr39
12-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Candyman

Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh

Scream

Scream 2

Dracula(1992 version with Anthony Hopkins and Winona Ryder)

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Candyman

Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh

Scream

Scream 2

Dracula(1992 version with Anthony Hopkins and Winona Ryder)

Yeah, I liked that version of Dracula too, Hopkins was great as usual! I still like him best as Hannibal Lecter!

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 09:41 PM
the omen
salems lot
amnetyville horror (sp)

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
the omen
salems lot
amnetyville horror (sp)

Good picks Master, the Omen is still one of my all time favs!

tony hipchest
12-04-2009, 10:11 PM
As a gore fan, have you seen Cannibal Holocaust? In it's day, it was kind of out there. Seems pretty tame watching it now. Hostile was a decent modern day, IMO.

*awaits vincent to further hijack this thread with political BS because you repeated "gore"*

:coffee:

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 10:13 PM
*awaits vincent to further hijack this thread with political BS because you repeated "gore"*

:coffee:

:popcorn:Yeah, what's the deal with that?

tony hipchest
12-04-2009, 10:18 PM
:popcorn:Yeah, what's the deal with that?

every thread in the "locker room" (that actually isnt an anti-obama thread already) gets hijacked with anti-obama rhetoric and propoganda.

you'll either join in, or just get used to it, if you stick around long enough. :noidea:

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
every thread in the "locker room" (that actually isnt an anti-obama thread already) gets hijacked with anti-obama rhetoric and propoganda.

you'll either join in, or just get used to it, if you stick around long enough. :noidea:

Maybe Vincent is really Sean Hannity?:tap:

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Love Cannibal Holocaust...one of my favorite horror flicks.

Others are:

Suspiria
Inferno
Mother of Tears
Living Dead Series
The Crazies
High Tension
Audition
Zombi
Zombi II
The New York Ripper
The Beyond
Last House on the Left (original)
The Hills Have Eyes (both versions)
The Raven
Carnival of Souls
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
House of Wax, House of Usher, House on Haunted Hill
Comedy of Terrors
Halloween (both versions)
The Wicker Man (1973)
The Curse of the Cat People
Martin
In the Mouth of Madness
City of the Walking Dead
...28 Days Later
The Crying Game :chuckle:

And a ton more that I'm not thinking of right now...love me some horror flicks!

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 10:29 PM
wasn't "martin" a sitcom comedy ? :noidea:

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Love Cannibal Holocaust...one of my favorite horror flicks.

Others are:

Suspiria
Inferno
Mother of Tears
Living Dead Series
The Crazies
High Tension
Audition
Zombi
Zombi II
The New York Ripper
The Beyond
Last House on the Left (original)
The Hills Have Eyes (both versions)
The Raven
Carnival of Souls
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
House of Wax, House of Usher, House on Haunted Hill
Comedy of Terrors
Halloween (both versions)
The Wicker Man (1973)
The Curse of the Cat People
Martin
In the Mouth of Madness
City of the Walking Dead
...28 Days Later
The Crying Game :chuckle:

And a ton more that I'm not thinking of right now...love me some horror flicks!

Damn SCmom, you know your movies. Thats a great list. The Audition is a great Japanese horror film. Very creepy!!!:thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 10:44 PM
wasn't "martin" a sitcom comedy ? :noidea:

LOL...it was, but the movie Martin was directed by Romero and was filmed in Braddock. It's about a crazy dude who drugs women and slices their wrists to drink their blood. Some of his finest work. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Damn SCmom, you know your movies. Thats a great list. The Audition is a great Japanese horror film. Very creepy!!!:thumbsup:

Yeah I fell in love with Miike after seeing that. Ichi the Killer and Zatoichi kick ass too. I loved his short film Imprint from Masters of Horror also...man do I miss that show!

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah I fell in love with Miike after seeing that. Ichi the Killer and Zatoichi kick ass too. I loved his short film Imprint from Masters of Horror also...man do I miss that show!

Hideo Nakata is my favorite Japanese horror director. Have you seen Ringu? One of the best out there!

MACH1
12-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Exorcist is my fav.

I also liked Phantasm and Hellraiser.

And of course can't leave out Army of Darkness. :chuckle:

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Exorcist is my fav.

I also liked Phantasm and Hellraiser.

And of course can't leave out Army of Darkness. :chuckle:

All great ones Mach. I think Excorcist is one that will never be matched!

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Hideo Nakata is my favorite Japanese horror director. Have you seen Ringu? One of the best out there!

Yup, Have both Ringu and Ringu 2. He's slated to direct The Ring 3 in 2011...never realized he directed The Ring 2, might have to actually give that one a shot. I like Kaosu and Sotohiro a lot too.

I had a hard time getting into Japanese horror flicks, but my fiance finally broke me lol. He's got a ton of stuff I haven't even watched yet.

Oh, and I can't believe I left out Del Toro...though they're not gory horror flicks, I love Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage. Cannot wait to see how The Hobbit One and Two come out!

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Yup, Have both Ringu and Ringu 2. He's slated to direct The Ring 3 in 2011...never realized he directed The Ring 2, might have to actually give that one a shot. I like Kaosu and Sotohiro a lot too.

I had a hard time getting into Japanese horror flicks, but my fiance finally broke me lol. He's got a ton of stuff I haven't even watched yet.

I've always thought that even though a lot of the Japanese stuff seems so odd and different, it is actually ahead of the curve most of the time. I've even grown to appreciate the Grudge.

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I've always thought that even though a lot of the Japanese stuff seems so odd and different, it is actually ahead of the curve most of the time. I've even grown to appreciate the Grudge.

Yeah The Grudge is decent...though the Ju-on series blows it out of the water. I don't know how the remakes get to be so mediocre compared to the originals.

Speaking of...if you haven't seen [REC] or Quarantine yet and have the option to see one, pick [REC]...somehow the American remake Quarantine (even though its almost line for line the same film and was made only a year after [REC]) falls way, way short of the original. Great movie though...terrifically scary.

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Cannot wait to see how The Hobbit One and Two come out!
wow...didn't even know they turning those into movies...:thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 11:21 PM
wow...didn't even know they turning those into movies...:thumbsup:

Yup yup...they'll be released in 2011 and 2012...no effing around with a 3-6 year wait in between for Del Toro!

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Yup yup...they'll be released in 2011 and 2012...no effing around with a 3-6 year wait in between for Del Toro!
why in the hell didn't they do the hobbit first ? :noidea:

SteelCityMom
12-04-2009, 11:27 PM
why in the hell didn't they do the hobbit first ? :noidea:

I don't know...good question. Maybe he didn't think it would sell as well or something...ya got me.

UltimateBengal
12-04-2009, 11:30 PM
What did you guys think of Zombie Halloween remakes. Halloween is one of my all time favs, and I thought he did a decent job with the first one. Kinda disappointed with the second.

SteelCityMom
12-05-2009, 11:12 AM
What did you guys think of Zombie Halloween remakes. Halloween is one of my all time favs, and I thought he did a decent job with the first one. Kinda disappointed with the second.

I still like the original better, but I really enjoyed the first remake. Haven't seen the second one yet, but plan on it as soon as it comes out on DVD.

The remake that REALLY disappointed me was Friday the 13th. The original was so good and they just tore it apart and spit it out. I hated that you knew the ending to the original movie at the beginning of the remake. Weak.

Galax Steeler
12-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I liked the first couple of Friday the 13th movies then they started to get stupid.

GoSlash27
12-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Dawn of the Dead (2004) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LUzJAsa-gg)
Zombieland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cIjPOJdFM)
28 Weeks Later (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLQmDBQawE)
Shaun of the Dead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDUv3ZjH2k)
I Am Legend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7CC0kbGj6s)
The Ring (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5CvZGv8yNs)
Gothika (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0e8SfWvXdM)

stillers4me
12-06-2009, 09:22 AM
The Ring scared the crap out of me.

Shellshock
12-06-2009, 03:48 PM
The Thing,both versions.

lambertlunaticfan
12-07-2009, 01:05 AM
I also love a good horror movie.My favorites are-sleepaway camp...all the saw movies.....not a movie but all the faces of death tapes....the original last house on the left.....i spit on your grave is a classic.....not really into any of the nightmare on elm street other than the 1st one and friday the 13th the 1st one.....of course texas chainsaw massacre(again the orginal of course)....and my favorite shows were tails from the crypt were great.So many great ones from my youth i cant remember all of them......:doh:

tony hipchest
12-09-2009, 06:59 PM
no fans of re-animator? thats like an instant classic of gore flicks.

im suprised blair witch project doesnt get more love. i thought the suspense was great (and pretty realistic).

as far as suspense movies, 6th sense will always be one of my favorites.

devilsdancefloor
12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Texas chainsaw massacre

The omen

Hell raiser

devilsdancefloor
12-09-2009, 07:26 PM

im suprised blair witch project doesnt get more love. i thought the suspense was great (and pretty realistic).

reanimator is a classic as well the mid 80's alot of low budget, but good horror flicks

SteelCityMom
12-09-2009, 08:10 PM

Re-Animator is one of my favorites as well, and I'm surprised I forgot it on my list. From Beyond is great too. House of Re-Animator is supposed to be coming out sometime in the near future, and has the same writer and director (and Barbara Crampton is in it as well), so hopefully it will be just as good. :thumbsup:

lambertlunaticfan
12-10-2009, 02:58 AM
Thanks tony-I knew i was forgetting one of my top #5 scary movies.And that would be the blair witch project.The first one only as the other one was stubid.But that first one i really did believe it did happen.I met the whole cast at a signing when the movie came out.And alot of people thought that like i did.In fact one woman i heard her say to them she was glad they survived it and asked,"what happen to the person who did that to them"? The people who did that movie did the best job at selling it as a "true story".I remember before the movie came out they released this short show on tv (i think it was on the old sci-fi channel).And it was a documentary about the story of the movie.And it had news footage broadcast of the story etc.And i was like,they are taking thier footage and showing it as a movie,oh,i got to see this.And then weeks later i figured out it was just a movie.But then so was "jaws" and i could'nt go swimming for months after i saw that movie as a kid.no fans of re-animator? thats like an instant classic of gore flicks.

SteelMember
12-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Interview with the Vampire - as a contemporary, probably my favorite vampire movie.

The Shining - Just has that psycological creepieness like Amityville Horror.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) - I like this version best, but the celebrity look alike scene in the new one was too funny. :chuckle:

The Descent - I thought this was pretty good for a newer movie.

28 Days Later - Love these new virus based zombie movies. This has to be my favorite. I think it has a lot to do with the cinamatography (jump cuts, shakey camera etc.)

Gotta ask, The birds is a classic that always seems to highly rated by folks. Maybe it's because of the era, but I just don't like that movie. :noidea: Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy some Hitchc0ck movies: Psycho, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, but this movie is almost as much of a love triangle, as it is horror... And the ending... Talk about leaving it open for a sequel. geez.

SteelCityMom
12-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Gotta ask, The birds is a classic that always seems to highly rated by folks. Maybe it's because of the era, but I just don't like that movie. :noidea: Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy some Hitchc0ck movies: Psycho, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, but this movie is almost as much of a love triangle, as it is horror... And the ending... Talk about leaving it open for a sequel. geez.

I like The Birds, and am a huge Hitchc0ck fan, but it's not one of my favorites. It is based on some real reports of strange bird behavior, so that makes it a bit scarier IMO.

According to Nature on 27 October 2008, the behavior of the birds in the film may have been based on a real incident caused by poisoning with domoic acid. This chemical is produced when plankton are exposed to urea, a chemical which can leak out of septic tanks and is naturally present in human urine. Contamination can pass up the food chain, resulting in neurotoxic effects to predatory animals.

On 18 August 1961, residents in the town of Capitola, California, awoke to find sooty shearwaters slamming into their rooftops, and their streets covered with dead birds. News reports suggested domoic acid poisoning (amnesic shellfish poisoning) as the cause. According to a local newspaper, the Santa Cruz Sentinel, Alfred Hitch**** requested news copy in 1961 to use as "research material for his latest thriller".

There was a sequel, a tv movie in '94 called The Birds II: Lands End (and Tippi Hedren was one of the stars...out of spite for Hitchc0ck, even though she knew it would be very sub-par in comparison to the original). It was really crappy.

Keep an eye out for the remake too that stars George Clooney and Naomi Watts (slated for 2011).

Marnie is probably my favorite Hitchc0ck film, and one I'd like to see redone, since he was limited in what he could do with the story line for the time. Rope, Lifeboat, Dial M For Murder and The Lady Vanishes all come in a close second for me...but I love nearly everything he's ever done.

SteelMember
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Hitchc0ck is a master at building tension. Where nowadays tension is built through a the soundtrack or through fear of the unknown, he shows you what's coming before the character knows. In the movie, the Birds, and example would be the scene with the number of crows continually becoming greater on the swing set using cuts back and forth from the characters perspective. Your like, whoa! What the...

There are good parts to it, and maybe if it would have been tied up better I would appreciate it more.

SteelCityMom
12-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Hitchc0ck is a master at building tension. Where nowadays tension is built through a the soundtrack or through fear of the unknown, he shows you what's coming before the character knows. In the movie, the Birds, and example would be the scene with the number of crows continually becoming greater on the swing set using cuts back and forth from the characters perspective. Your like, whoa! What the...

There are good parts to it, and maybe if it would have been tied up better I would appreciate it more.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Though sometimes I like a movie where the situation doesn't (or can't) get resolved. It's more true to life that way sometimes.

I remember fearing for my life once because of that movie though lol. I was 11 (almost 12) and we were on vacation in Florida and my friend and I were down at the beach and had some popcorn...suddenly a couple seagulls took notice of us, then a few more, then 10 more and then we were surrounded by about 20-30 seagulls all inching their way closer to us. Man, we ran like there was no tomorrow. All I could think about was the scene with Tippi Hedren at the end of the movie, and her trapped in that room with all those birds.

It's hard to see a huge flock of birds and NOT think of that movie (for me anyway).

UltimateBengal
01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I recently saw 2 movies that I'm sure a lot of you have already seen, I've gotten behind on my movie watching. Case 39 and Paranormal Activity. I really liked Case 39 with Renee Zellwegger. There have been a lot of "bad seed" movies, but I thought this one was very good. The little girl is creepy! I didn't think I'd like Paranormal Activity because those kind of movies are usually poorly done. But, I ended up really enjoying it and watching intently to find out what happened next. I liked the the last few minutes when the women zones out! What did you guys think of these movies?