PDA

View Full Version : What Was Once A Promising Season...

TX Steelerfan
12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
......has come crashing down.

For a team that came into the season not only as defending champs, but defending champs who won despite having the toughest schedule in generations....

a team that lost only a handfuls of starters on both sides and seemingly replaced them with equal or better players, or players who at least showed promise (Foote replaced by Timmons, McFadden by Gay, Stapleton by Essex).....

a team that came in with a regular season schedule that at the very least would give them a pretty easy road to the division crown ....

a team that early in the season beat the seemingly toughest opponents on the schedule (Tennessee, San Diego, Minnesota) and played lights out against a surprising Denver team.....

a team who could always count on it's defense to bail out an underperforming offense.....

I would have to say that this has been one of the most disappointing seasons ever.

There has not been a game where all 3 phases have performed well. Our usually stout D has given up too many late game points. Our ST's may not rank near the top, but at least they usually don't give up big plays. Our offense has suffered from poor 3rd down play and red zone failures all year long.

I'll still wave my Terrible Towel. I'll still watch the games. I'll still wear my jerseys. But I cannot help but feel the 2009 Steelers have let Steeler Nation down.

stillers4me
12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
The loss of Aaron Smith and Troy is just too much for this once unstoppable defense. Other teams lose players to injury and go sign rent-a-players.

There's no such thing as a rent-a-Troy.

CaseyHamburglar
12-06-2009, 04:50 PM
The injury bug has struck with a vengeance.

GodofGridiron
12-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Bens agent needs to ensure that no one from EA sports calls about a Madden cover photo ever.........NO STEELER player for that matter.

HTF does Larry Fitz escape the curse ? Explain that ish to me.

Texasteel
12-06-2009, 04:55 PM
The loss of Aaron Smith and Troy is just too much for this once unstoppable defense. Other teams lose players to injury and go sign rent-a-players.

There's no such thing as a rent-a-Troy.

Not sure which hurt worse, remember this exact thing happened the last time Smith went down. Both together was a definite killer.

AllD
12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe Tomlin overemphacized that it was a new team and season.

The scary part is Ward will probably come back for one more season barring injury, then he is due for retirement. Our defense got old in one season.

Could take two seasons to come back from a disappointment like this.

SteelerEmpire
12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Did you see the way the Raider's were moving the ball against the defense ?? ... Just a pitiful ending....

stillers4me
12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Did you see the way the Raider's were moving the ball against the defense ?? ... Just a pitiful ending....

Aaron Smith in the front and Troy in the secondary. There ya go.

wootawnee
12-06-2009, 05:33 PM
The o-line played with no heart in the redzone.........They need some fire and No mountain climb with out showing heart and looks like they blew it.........

MillerMania83
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
......has come crashing down.

For a team that came into the season not only as defending champs, but defending champs who won despite having the toughest schedule in generations....

a team that lost only a handfuls of starters on both sides and seemingly replaced them with equal or better players, or players who at least showed promise (Foote replaced by Timmons, McFadden by Gay, Stapleton by Essex).....

a team that came in with a regular season schedule that at the very least would give them a pretty easy road to the division crown ....

a team that early in the season beat the seemingly toughest opponents on the schedule (Tennessee, San Diego, Minnesota) and played lights out against a surprising Denver team.....

a team who could always count on it's defense to bail out an underperforming offense.....

I would have to say that this has been one of the most disappointing seasons ever.

There has not been a game where all 3 phases have performed well. Our usually stout D has given up too many late game points. Our ST's may not rank near the top, but at least they usually don't give up big plays. Our offense has suffered from poor 3rd down play and red zone failures all year long.

I'll still wave my Terrible Towel. I'll still watch the games. I'll still wear my jerseys. But I cannot help but feel the 2009 Steelers have let Steeler Nation down.

AMEN....Totally feel the same way.

SteelCityMom
12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
This happens too. News flash, Steeler fans: We can't win the superbowl every year. :noidea:
We'll have to sign up some new depth on defense for next year and have another go at it.

:jawdrop:

What a novel idea Slash lol.

You'd think the sky just came crashing down.

I look at it this way though, at least there won't be nearly as many overly expectant fans hanging around next year.

stillers4me
12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
This happens too. News flash, Steeler fans: We can't win the superbowl every year. :noidea:
We'll have to sign up some new depth on defense for next year and have another go at it.

News flash: nobody expects to win superbowls every year. We do expect to be able beat the worst teams in the league.

dislocatedday
12-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I really thought entering the season that the Steelers would be a better team than last year....with a chance to dominate this season if the o-line could step up their game. Well, the o-line has improved......... but I never realized how much Troy covers up weaknesses elsewhere in the secondary until he went down this season...........or just how the special teams play would degrade. It's just hard for me to fathom how poor the secondary looks right now. The Steelers still excel at stopping the run obviously and I have no worries there. For next year, I hope the Steelers can improve the secondary and get back to their winning ways. The team is not going to go into re-building mode.....they are strong in a lot of areas. Just shore up the secondary and special teams and this team can start winning consistently again.

Kittyfish
12-06-2009, 05:44 PM
News flash: nobody expects to win superbowls every year. We do expect to be able beat the worst teams in the league. I was just coming to post the exact same thing but you beat me to it. I am a fan today and I'll be a fan tomorrow when I'll wear my Steeler gear with pride, but I don't think I'm "jumping the bandwagon" when I'm stunned and disappointed that we lost to the Chiefs, Raiders, etc. At this rate, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if we lose to the Browns on Thursday. I wouldn't mind losing so much if we weren't losing to seemingly inferior teams in the last few moments of play - we're better than that, or at least I thought we were.

Edman
12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
No one should expect the Steelers to win Super Bowls every year. But I think it's realistic enough to expect them to defend their titles better.

stillers4me
12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I was just coming to post the exact same thing but you beat me to it. I am a fan today and I'll be a fan tomorrow when I'll wear my Steeler gear with pride, but I don't think I'm "jumping the bandwagon" when I'm stunned and disappointed that we lost to the Chiefs, Raiders, etc. At this rate, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if we lose to the Browns on Thursday. I wouldn't mind losing so much if we weren't losing to seemingly inferior teams in the last few moments of play - we're better than that, or at least I thought we were.

What she said. :drink:

Angina
12-06-2009, 07:00 PM
:jawdrop:

What a novel idea Slash lol.

You'd think the sky just came crashing down.

I look at it this way though, at least there won't be nearly as many overly expectant fans hanging around next year.

Emotions are high immediately after a loss. Steeler love runs deep within its fandom and disappointment hurts the heart until perspective is regained. Venting is to be expected.

If you don't like it, don't read the threads. You're bright enough to know which threads are whiny in nature -- just move along. Why do people like you feel the need to bait these people? It only extends the thread and creates animosity.

X-Terminator
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Emotions are high immediately after a loss. Steeler love runs deep within its fandom and disappointment hurts the heart until perspective is regained. Venting is to be expected.

If you don't like it, don't read the threads. You're bright enough to know which threads are whiny in nature -- just move along. Why do people like you feel the need to bait these people? It only extends the thread and creates animosity.

They need to get themselves under control first and not clutter up this board with whiny dreck. In other words, let them vent somewhere else. This place is NOT a sounding board for overly emotional fans. It makes it very difficult for those of us who, while passionate fans in our own right, to participate in any kind of discussion. It's not my or anyone else's fault that they can't keep their emotions in check.

TackleMeBen
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
They need to get themselves under control first and not clutter up this board with whiny dreck. In other words, let them vent somewhere else. This place is NOT a sounding board for overly emotional fans. It makes it very difficult for those of us who, while passionate fans in our own right, to participate in any kind of discussion. It's not my or anyone else's fault that they can't keep their emotions in check.
maybe they need to have a forum for venting after a loss....

yes, i am mad we lost, but there is nothing i can do about it, since i wasnt out on the field playing.we just have to move on, and whatever the problem is have faith in coach tomlin that he can get it fixed.

Angina
12-06-2009, 11:43 PM

If you'd read my post, you would have seen that nowhere in it did I advocate for venting. I stated that I understood why some people did it, not that I approved or encouraged it.

What I did say was don't respond to it, especially with insults that will only invite further posting by the offending individual, thus increasing the "whine factor" of the thread you're trying to conduct your discussion in.

And if you simply can't resist insulting and engaging them -- do it off the thread in a private message.

Angus Burgher
12-07-2009, 01:41 AM
News flash: nobody expects to win superbowls every year. We do expect to be able beat the worst teams in the league.

THANK YOU!

This is what I've been saying all season long. Sure, I wanted the Steelers to repeat. But I'm a realist and I know that the chances of that happening are very slim. However, I did expect them to at least make the playoffs, or at the VERY least, not lose to awful teams. Losing to the Bears and the Bengals (twice) was bad. Going down the the Ravens hurt too, but at least some excuses could be made there. But the Chiefs and the Raiders are a pair of crap teams that NO ONE should lose to. If you lose to one of them - and especially if you lose to both - you're in serious trouble.