sportscenter just showed this. i thought it was pretty cool:

age of their 1st sb-23

ben went to to college in miami and played prefessionally in pittsburgh
dan went to college in pittsburgh and played for miami

marino wore unlucky #13
ben wears lucky #7

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
I was listening to mike and mike this morning and they commented on this as well with Mel Kiper. The similarities are uncanny at this point in their careers.

3 to be 4
01-26-2006, 06:51 PM
lets hope the parallels stop there for Bens sake. I mean, theres a "big game" coming up, right?

RoethlisBURGHer
01-26-2006, 06:57 PM
I don't mind the comparison,it would be great if Ben got all those records.But I'd rather have Ben winning Super Bowls.And Marino would give up ALL of his records for just one Super Bowl ring (won,not bought).

Suitanim
01-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Nobody has posted this yet? Dan giving Ben advice?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5278896

Marino to Big Ben: Enjoy the moment
/ Associated Press
Posted: 23 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) - He was a kid when he made it to the Super Bowl, his right arm gunning the Miami Dolphins all the way to California for a date with the San Francisco 49ers.

Championship games

Dan Marino figured every year would end with the big game, even after the Dolphins lost 38-16 in the 1985 Super Bowl. He was only 23. He had plenty of time.

Year after year passed. There were no more Super Bowl appearances.

Now here comes Ben Roethlisberger, hoping to become the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl when his Steelers play Seattle on Feb. 5. Marino had those hopes once, now he has a few words of wisdom for Big Ben: Enjoy the moment.

"My advice would be to have fun with it," Marino said Wednesday during a break in taping for HBO's "Inside the NFL." "Don't take it for granted. After I lost that game, I felt, 'OK we lost the Super Bowl, but we'll be back next year, we'll have more opportunities.'

"But I never got back."

Marino spent 17 seasons in the league and is still the youngest quarterback to start a Super Bowl at 23 years, 127 days old. Roethlisberger will be 23 years, 340 days old on game day, the second-youngest to make it.

The memories of the game are hazy for Marino, inducted into the Hall of Fame last year. He was coming off a record-setting 1984 season in which he was the NFL Most Valuable Player and threw for 5,084 yards and 48 touchdown passes.

Everything started well enough against San Francisco. The Dolphins had a 10-7 lead heading into the second quarter. Then everything unraveled. Joe Montana took apart the Dolphins defense, and the 49ers dominated.

With no running game, Marino put everything on his shoulders. It hardly mattered. He finished 29-of-50 for 318 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.

"I remember when the game was over, I wished it was like a baseball playoff series: If we could play again tomorrow I think we'd win," Marino said.

Then again, there are many things he wants to forget.

"It's hard for me to remember back," Marino said. "If we would have won the game, I would remember a lot more of my Super Bowl experience. The fact that we lost, sometimes you don't necessarily want to remember all of it."

Roethlisberger has a better supporting cast. The Steelers are a running team primarily, a luxury Marino never had when he was with the Dolphins. Plus, the Pittsburgh defense is much better than the one Marino had in the Super Bowl.

Marino also believes all the playoff success Roethlisberger has had will help take the pressure off him in the big game.

"First of all, the quarterback position - you get in the Super Bowl and you get a lot of the attention because of that. The fact that he is so young and he's already played in five playoff games, two AFC championship games ... I think he'll handle it fine," Marino said.

Though Marino has to try and stay neutral, he has a soft spot for Pittsburgh. Marino grew up there and played at the University of Pittsburgh before the Dolphins drafted him in the first round in 1983.

"I grew up watching Joe Greene and Franco (Harris) and (Terry) Bradshaw and Chuck Noll. It's my hometown, it's where I grew up, I have a lot of friends and people there," Marino said. "You'd like to see them do well but I want to see a good football game."

How does he believe that will unfold? Marino expects the Steelers to employ the same game plan they used in making it to the Super Bowl: having Roethlisberger come out throwing. He also believes the Seahawks need to establish Shaun Alexander early to take the pressure off Matt Hasselbeck.

But one thing is clear: the Steelers appear to have found their star quarterback. Only time will tell whether he makes it to more Super Bowls than Marino.

"The Steelers, they got lucky to be able to get a guy who's going to be a franchise quarterback for them for the next 10 or 15 years," Marino said. "That's what you need in this league to be consistent and have a chance to win championships."

tony hipchest
01-26-2006, 07:17 PM
lets hope the parallels stop there for Bens sake. I mean, theres a "big game" coming up, right?

lol. thats why i thought the 13 vs. 7 non parallel was poignant.

tony hipchest
01-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Nobody has posted this yet? Dan giving Ben advice?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5278896

Marino to Big Ben: Enjoy the moment
/ Associated Press
Posted: 23 hours ago

" i dont think that will help ben. after all i bet hasselbeck is talking to trent dilfer right now, and we all know how much better sb winning qb's are than those who never win one. [sarcasm]

seahawksfan
01-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Both will go into the 2006 season having lost in the SB. :grin:

seahawksfan
01-26-2006, 07:47 PM
i dont think that will help ben. after all i bet hasselbeck is talking to trent dilfer right now, and we all know how much better sb winning qb's are than those who never win one. [sarcasm]

One left the SB game a winner. That's all that matters. One game, one winner. More talent? Not necessarily, just a winner.

shevdog
01-26-2006, 08:01 PM
What irony. Now I wonder where Big Ben went to high school? I know Dan Marino went to Central Catholic (around the burgh).

3 to be 4
01-26-2006, 08:13 PM
i dont think that will help ben. after all i bet hasselbeck is talking to trent dilfer right now, and we all know how much better sb winning qb's are than those who never win one. [sarcasm]

who said Dilfer was better than Marino? You see, thats what Marino apologists do.
If you point out that Marino is not one of the top 5 QB's of all time because of how poorly he played in the biggest games of his life, they say you are saying that every QB who ever won a SB was better. its ok to be the #11 or so QB of all time. it really is.
but because of his failures id still take
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Staubach
Bradshaw
Graham
Starr
Favre
Brady
Aikman

over him. i make the next 5 the great stat guys who didnt win
Tarkenton
Fouts
Marino
Manning
Moon

hardwork
01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
who said Dilfer was better than Marino? You see, thats what Marino apologists do.
If you point out that Marino is not one of the top 5 QB's of all time because of how poorly he played in the biggest games of his life, they say you are saying that every QB who ever won a SB was better. its ok to be the #11 or so QB of all time. it really is.
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Staubach
Bradshaw
Graham
Starr
Favre
Brady
Aikman

I wouldn't take Bradshaw. You could have put a lot of QBs in for Terry Bradshaw and they all could have done what he did. Just look at the team he had around him.

3 to be 4
01-26-2006, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't take Bradshaw. You could have put a lot of QBs in for Terry Bradshaw and they all could have done what he did. Just look at the team he had around him.

i cant agree with that. It was Bradshaw who came through and played his best games when it mattered most. I dont see Marino,Manning, or Moon winning all those games.

hardwork
01-26-2006, 09:39 PM
i cant agree with that. It was Bradshaw who came through and played his best games when it mattered most. I dont see Marino,Manning, or Moon winning all those games.

Let me make this clearer. I like Bradshaw. I enjoyed watching him play. But he was not a QB who could have carried a lesser team on his back. Nor could you have built a team or a system around him. He was plugged into one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. You could have plugged in several QBs into that team and still come up with a string of SB victories. IMO

3 to be 4
01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Let me make this clearer. I like Bradshaw. I enjoyed watching him play. But he was not a QB who could have carried a lesser team on his back. Nor could you have built a team or a system around him. He was plugged into one of the best teams in the history of the NFL. You could have plugged in several QBs into that team and still come up with a string of SB victories. IMO

how many are several? not easy to win to win a string of Super Bowls. Who is on that list?

SteelCurtain
01-26-2006, 10:36 PM
I feel very badly for Marino never winning a Super Bowl, best quarterback ever and he will never get the recognition for it. But in reality it's his own fault for not trying to get traded. If he would have went to the Steelers, we might be still be tryin to get that one for the thumb, but it would be the other thumb because the other hand would be filled

hardwork
01-26-2006, 10:54 PM
how many are several? not easy to win to win a string of Super Bowls. Who is on that list?

Oh I haven't thought about a list. Since we were talking about Grogan I would say he could have. I would say many of the better then average QBs with a good gun could have taken that Steeler team to the SB, and won. I don't think they would have needed a QB from the elite list.

seahawksfan
01-27-2006, 12:22 AM
I think Bradshaw was a good fit; Mr Rooney loved the guy and Chuck Noll didn't suffer too much...

seahawksfan
01-27-2006, 12:23 AM
I feel very badly for Marino never winning a Super Bowl, best quarterback ever and he will never get the recognition for it. But in reality it's his own fault for not trying to get traded. If he would have went to the Steelers, we might be still be tryin to get that one for the thumb, but it would be the other thumb because the other hand would be filled

I feel the same way about Fran Tarkenton. I loved his game...the original scrambler.

SteelerFanInATL
01-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Here is something for thought, how much has Marino's mentoring helped Ben on the field this year

bigbensgirl7
01-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Here is something for thought, how much has Marino's mentoring helped Ben on the field this year
I think it did help Ben a little. THey became pretty close in the offseason from what I have read, and I think it's good for a young qb to have someone like Marino to learn from.

TexaSteeler
01-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't mind the comparison,it would be great if Ben got all those records.But I'd rather have Ben winning Super Bowls.And Marino would give up ALL of his records for just one Super Bowl ring (won,not bought).

If Ben got all those records, that would mean they had no running game. I would rather his stats reflected Troy Aikmen's.

TexaSteeler
01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Montana
Unitas
Elway
Staubach
Bradshaw
Graham
Starr
Favre
Brady
Aikman

over him. i make the next 5 the great stat guys who didnt win