PDA

View Full Version : The Goodell Perriera Fix on Harrison

Hayeksheroes
12-06-2009, 06:28 PM
James Harrison is unblockable, unless he is held. The officials are not calling the holds. I hate to whine after a loss, but it is too obvious. The fix must be in. Goodell told Perriera to inform the refs to not call holding against Harrison unless it is blatant.

tyler289
12-06-2009, 06:51 PM
You have proof of this?

Hayeksheroes
12-06-2009, 06:57 PM
You have proof of this?

3 hours of tape.

psusteelers4life
12-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Agreed there is a lot of no hold calls...even Danny boy the announcer said today during the game that he sees him getting held a lot and it rarely gets called. I dont know if anyone else caught what he said during the game.

ExtonSteelFan
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
While I understand we cannot control the refs' calls, it's so blatantly obvious that Harrison is held on nearly every play. He's unblockable and the holding is simply not being called.

In the end though, that's not what's loosing these games for the Steelers. Giving up big plays, and not making a play is what's killing us. They are underachieving big time this year. The losses are stacking up now and I'm sure it's starting to wear down on the team a little bit.

I just hope they can finish out strong, playoff's or no playoff's. Lets give it our best shot and win the next 4 games and see what happens.

Hayeksheroes
12-07-2009, 12:27 AM
The Steelers need to win against the Browns. One week at a time.

BlastFurnace
12-07-2009, 12:29 AM
While I understand we cannot control the refs' calls, it's so blatantly obvious that Harrison is held on nearly every play. He's unblockable and the holding is simply not being called.

In the end though, that's not what's loosing these games for the Steelers. Giving up big plays, and not making a play is what's killing us. They are underachieving big time this year. The losses are stacking up now and I'm sure it's starting to wear down on the team a little bit.

I just hope they can finish out strong, playoff's or no playoff's. Lets give it our best shot and win the next 4 games and see what happens.

I completely agree. All this whining about Harrison being held is ridiculous. The other 10 guys on defense are playing horribly to offset any missed calls by the refs.

Hayeksheroes
12-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Yeah, but I look for great performances every season. Look, the Steelers can't win the Superbowl every year. If you measure a season only by that criteria, you are going to be upset at the end of most years. But if you can take away some satisfaction from some part of the team each year, you will be much happier. I always look at if the team is playing up to or beyond its potential, if the O of D are ranked near the top and then individual performances.

Finally, no season is complete unless the Steelers are in the rounding for another Superbowl. That means making the playoffs. That's how I define a good season.

SteelStang
12-07-2009, 08:41 AM
I started a thread about this same thing around week 4 or so. While I don't believe there is any sort of 'law' laid down by the NFL FO, it is clear that Harrison is held on nearly every passing play. I think the league knows they are under pressure because of the so-called 'bad calls' during SB XL when it comes to officiating our games.

Bottom line is that we are losing games for far more reasons than this, but it is important to note.

Gnutella
12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
James Harrison got held all last season, yet the defense still played well and we still won the Super Bowl. It's no excuse. Besides, we don't blame the refs for our plight in Pittsburgh. Blaming the refs is the domain of sore losers.

Hayeksheroes
12-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I am not blaming refs for the loss. I am blaming them for preventing Harrison from being the sack leader.

psusteelers4life
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Like I said before in another thread earlier this year. Harrison is a great player I know he has contain and the edge on the line but whe he rushes he looks like he always bull rushes and never makes a second move. This is why I think he gets held easily like you see like what I call the cloths hang hold around his neck that doesnt get called. If he made a second move like a spin instead of bull rush almost all the time the holds might be more obvious and he might be able to get a better rush. That being said he does have an assignment to carry out being the outside backer in a 3-4 and he does need to contain the edge that may be why he bull rushes most of the time so he doesnt give up contain.

WH
12-07-2009, 01:31 PM
All the bitching I ever did on behalf of James Harrison last year and this year because of holding went out the window when he got flagged for Unsportsmanlike Conduct during the 2nd Bengals game this year that continued their game winning drive.

SteelStang
12-07-2009, 02:23 PM
James Harrison got held all last season, yet the defense still played well and we still won the Super Bowl. It's no excuse. Besides, we don't blame the refs for our plight in Pittsburgh. Blaming the refs is the domain of sore losers.

I don't think anyone is blaming the refs here in this thread. I know I'm not. Bottomline is that he gets held nearly every time he rushes the passer. It has almost become comical.

Stu Pidasso
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Here's a thought: With all the "We have to think of the players SAFETY first in this league" (Goodell quote) James Harrison getting BENT BACKWARDS while being held is really bad on his vertebrae. If they keep not calling the holds, the lineman won't stop holding him. Then he (God forbid) gets a back injury, and we will ALL be crying about "Why oh why oh why didn't they call those holding calls?"