PDA

View Full Version : Lack of offseason acquisitions hurting the team

Hayeksheroes
12-07-2009, 01:55 AM
The Steelers did not shore up a position that has been hurting them for years, cornerback. I thought McFadden was a above average, Gay's play has been subpar. The cornerbacks, whose main job is to cover receivers, have not had one pick all year. This is embarrassing. In fact, the Steelers secondary has near last in the league in picks over the past several years. Why the idea of challenging the receiver for the ball is not being taught in practice is beyond me.

Such a glaring statistic should have raised alarm bells at the FO. The Steelers should have brought in a veteran. Instead they decided to start a second year corner and bring in rookies. This oversight has lead to the 4th qtrs. collapses. I hope the Steelers can learn from their mistakes.

Preacher
12-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Oh come on. In the offseason everyone was touting Gay as being as good as if not better than McFadden.

We had to spend money on the O line, sign draft picks, get Heath back, resign Harrison and STILL worry about having enough money to re-sign skippy, Big snack, and at that point, it was thought WIllie P. as well.

solardave
12-07-2009, 04:15 AM
Oh come on. In the offseason everyone was touting Gay as being as good as if not better than McFadden.

We had to spend money on the O line, sign draft picks, get Heath back, resign Harrison and STILL worry about having enough money to re-sign skippy, Big snack, and at that point, it was thought WIllie P. as well.

I thought Gay would be fine too. I was wrong. I think Corner will be a position to address in the draft but we've done fine for years not signing high dollar free agents. Look around the league at all these guys collecting millions (IE Haynesworth) standing on the sidelines hurt.

Galax Steeler
12-07-2009, 04:41 AM
It is time to get a corner or even a safety this year in the draft. our corners are getting burnt alot It also seems like Clark is not playing like he has been in the past. I don't know maybe it is just me.:noidea:

BlastFurnace
12-07-2009, 06:22 AM
It is time to get a corner or even a safety this year in the draft. our corners are getting burnt alot It also seems like Clark is not playing like he has been in the past. I don't know maybe it is just me.:noidea:

While I agree that we need to draft a corner, history shows that very few rookies play their rookie year at all. Drafting a rookie next year won't help us next year.

AllD
12-07-2009, 06:35 AM

Clark's last big hit is what slowed him down. He also might be sensing his mortality or the fact that this team was going nowhere since the begiinning, so why push yourself more than you must.

stillers4me
12-07-2009, 06:46 AM
sigh..........Clark will be fine. Ask Troy who he wants out there with him. Clark is one of the reasons Troy can do Troy stuff. They are the dynamic duo when on the field together.

Anybody remember what it was like when he was out for the season? I don't think it was pretty..

steeltheone
12-07-2009, 06:47 AM
We have that 4 pack of 33 year olds in the front of the D that need addressed also.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-07-2009, 07:11 AM

We picked up two Corners in the last draft...We dont know their true value yet and need to be patiant. However,depth at both safety positions is a must . This years draft class is loaded with quality safeties.

Rick5895
12-07-2009, 07:16 AM
The Steelers did not shore up a position that has been hurting them for years, cornerback. I thought McFadden was a above average, Gay's play has been subpar. The cornerbacks, whose main job is to cover receivers, have not had one pick all year. This is embarrassing. In fact, the Steelers secondary has near last in the league in picks over the past several years. Why the idea of challenging the receiver for the ball is not being taught in practice is beyond me.

Such a glaring statistic should have raised alarm bells at the FO. The Steelers should have brought in a veteran. Instead they decided to start a second year corner and bring in rookies. This oversight has lead to the 4th qtrs. collapses. I hope the Steelers can learn from their mistakes.

Gay has not been good this season, but that WASN"T expected. Burnetts drop yesterday aside, I think he will be a good corner so will Lewis. It usually takes a year to learn the D. Troy didn't play alot his rookie season either. There have been a number of pics dropped this season, pics if made we wouldn't be lamenting this "lost "season. We aren't closing out games on O. This whole team has a lack of focus. Bringing in other plays as free agents won't stop that.
IN the draft we need to draft another D L and a safety, a LB. I will agree, the D is getting older and that catches up to you.

Steeldude
12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Gay has not been good this season, but that WASN"T expected

but is statistically playing better than taylor. that's what was really unexpected.