PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Needs Hypnosis

griffbear
12-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Anybody remember Ben's poor performance in the pre-season after his rookie year? when he was asked about it he basically said "it doesn't matter, i'll play well when it matters."

okay - a lot of great games, heroics, and another superbowl later - there's certainly something to that. but that attitude still bugs me - and i think it's relevant to the team's meltdown this year.

there's sure plenty of blame to go around, but i still see ben playing lackluster ... with no urgency at all - unless it's all on the line at the end. at that point he's as good as they come. the problem is that by that point the defense has been on the field WAY too much, the other team has been building offensive momentum, and we've let them stay in the game long past when it should have been a done deal.

look at the way other great QBs come out on fire from the start ... with urgency ... like they want to start pulling ahead right away. i never feel that way with ben. i know the play calling also changes when it's coming down to the wire, and the defenses play differently as well. and perhaps this criticism is equally applicable to arians. but i still feel like ben only plays 75% through most of the game.

so i propose that ben gets hypnotized so that any time they are ahead by less then 20 points it seems to him they are behind with 2 minutes left.

stillers4me
12-07-2009, 06:07 AM
WTF???

BlastFurnace
12-07-2009, 06:11 AM
Ben needs to stop throwing red zone INT's. It's that simple.

Milkman
12-07-2009, 06:21 AM
Ben needs to stop throwing red zone INT's. It's that simple.

I agree 100%

fansince'76
12-07-2009, 07:40 AM
18-24 for 278 yards. Yeah, he should do WAY better than a 75% completion rate. :rolleyes:

Texasteel
12-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I've heard the defense is on the field to long comment before, and to me it just doesn't hold water. Oakland held the ball 5 and a half minutes longer that Pittsburgh did. I don't think that is a huge difference. I believe in all the losses the time of possession has been very close and in 3 of the games we held the ball longer. The defense has not done a great job at times when we needed them the most, for one reason or another. If being on the field is one of them it's because we are a little thin at some positions and not that the offense is not on the field long enough.

griffbear
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM
18-24 for 278 yards. Yeah, he should do WAY better than a 75% completion rate. :rolleyes:

but you know it's more than just numbers ... except for the big one on the scoreboard. not all yards & completions are the same. i don't care what the stats say - if you can't do any better than 10 points in the first 3 quarters against the raiders,then something
is wrong. you've got to convert those third downs. you've got to score - and mostly TDs - in the red zone. ... all those things they do at the end - they've got to start doing out of the gate.

and ben needs to lead this.

and i also agree that part of this is not throwing interceptions in the red zone. that's just deadly!

MACH1
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Must be Arians fault.:coffee:

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Ben has a tendency to try to carry the entire weight of his team on his back when they underperform. He tries to sometimes do too much.

I brought this up in the gameday thread, but when he played Iowa at Miami, the Hawkeyes had perhaps the best defense in the Country, and they were ranked #3 going into the game (This was in 2002). Ben was DOMINANT. He threw for almost 400 yards, had 2 TD's to 1 INT, and I think the score was something like 30-24 Iowa.

They played AT Iowa the following year, Iowa's defense was even better, and Miami was severely overmatched. Ben tried to do too much to overcome the talent gap. He tossed like 4 INT's. He was a gunslinger. That's what he is. It can't really be fixed, nor should it be...

Steelerfreak58
12-07-2009, 05:50 PM
The team as a WHOLE has a tendency to play down to other teams levels and has done so for a long time. Last year we won the close games this year we are losing them and its making all the difference.

No team has physically BEATEN the Steelers the only team to really have beaten the Steelers are themselves. Yesterday's loss to the Raiders is just another example of coming out and playing down to a really pathetic teams level across the board.

Two chances in the red zone and coming away with zero points?

Marching down field at the end of the game to get a go ahead score only to have the defense flub another one?

Defense giving up 3rd and long this season like its going out of style?

Lots of blame to spread around both offense and defense wise.

Still will be a fan though and watch them religiously as much as I can. Win or Lose Steelers till the day I am off this planet.

Angus Burgher
12-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I think a little too much is being made of the Red Zone INTs. He's only had three of these, one of which was in the Denver game. They won that one, so who cares about that?

I refuse to count the Heath Miller bobble in KC as an interception. The throw was perfect and Miller blew it.

As for the other two... yes, I wish they didn't happen. Yes, we might have won those games if he had scored there or we had at least kicked the field goal. But that's essentially two red zone picks that mattered in 12 games. If you think that those are the reason the Steelers are underpeforming, than you mustn't have been watching the entire game in either case. The Raiders pick didn't even lead to points for the other team. So essentially, all it was, was a missed opportunity.

I understand that the quarterback needs to avoid making mistakes. I do think that there are things Ben needs to work on, this being one of them. On the other hand, a lot is placed on his shoulders when in the red zone. I like Mendy, but he's not always effective when we get down there. I was literally shocked when he ran for that TD on Sunday. So your choice is, let your QB throw it and risk an INT, or let your RB run and probably get tackled for a loss.

Steely McSmash
12-10-2009, 01:00 PM
The team as a WHOLE has a tendency to play down to other teams levels and has done so for a long time. Last year we won the close games this year we are losing them and its making all the difference.

No team has physically BEATEN the Steelers the only team to really have beaten the Steelers are themselves. Yesterday's loss to the Raiders is just another example of coming out and playing down to a really pathetic teams level across the board.

Two chances in the red zone and coming away with zero points?

Marching down field at the end of the game to get a go ahead score only to have the defense flub another one?

Defense giving up 3rd and long this season like its going out of style?

Lots of blame to spread around both offense and defense wise.

Still will be a fan though and watch them religiously as much as I can. Win or Lose Steelers till the day I am off this planet.

The Steelers have been beaten physically plenty of times. Louis Murphy vs the entire backfield last game for example.

Not sure how you can make the call that the team is "playing down" -- what does that even mean? It's something that's always bugged me. "playing down" IMO is the result -- they under achieved based on past performance. It isn't a reason.

Reasons are things like preparation, mental readiness, coaching, play calling, talent, conditioning, quality and amount of practice, leadership, experience, execution, communication.

steeldawg
12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
but you know it's more than just numbers ... except for the big one on the scoreboard. not all yards & completions are the same. i don't care what the stats say - if you can't do any better than 10 points in the first 3 quarters against the raiders,then something
is wrong. you've got to convert those third downs. you've got to score - and mostly TDs - in the red zone. ... all those things they do at the end - they've got to start doing out of the gate.

and ben needs to lead this.

and i also agree that part of this is not throwing interceptions in the red zone. that's just deadly!

Ben is not calling the plays

Angus Burgher
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
TIME OF POSSESSION

Steelers - 30:52
Bengals - 29:08

Steelers - 44:07
Chiefs - 22:25

Steelers - 35:56
Ravens - 32:22

Steelers - 27:11
Raiders - 32:49

the only game we lost TOP was oakland. :popcorn:

No, you don't understand... the offense needs to be on the field for at least 55 minutes a game. After all, they don't get physically worn out... only the defense does.

43Hitman
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
No, you don't understand... the offense needs to be on the field for at least 55 minutes a game. After all, they don't get physically worn out... only the defense does.

:chuckle: :drink:

devilsdancefloor
12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Ben is not calling the plays

Waittttt a minute .... how do you know? i want to know your secret is it that arians glows gold when he calls the plays? Does Ben Glow when he does call the play? PPPLLLLEEEAAAAASEEEE tell me i am dying to know when you nkow who calls the plays.

Texasteel
12-10-2009, 05:39 PM
TIME OF POSSESSION

Steelers - 30:52
Bengals - 29:08

Steelers - 44:07
Chiefs - 22:25

Steelers - 35:56
Ravens - 32:22

Steelers - 27:11
Raiders - 32:49

the only game we lost TOP was oakland. :popcorn:

Jaysee your waisting your time. I posted this over a week ago, and it didn't do a bit of good.

Psyychoward86
12-10-2009, 05:43 PM
so........is he whining that Ben is only allowed to be at his worst in the middle of the game, and not the beginning and end? M'kay..

Psyychoward86
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Anybody remember Ben's poor performance in the pre-season after his rookie year? when he was asked about it he basically said "it doesn't matter, i'll play well when it matters."

okay - a lot of great games, heroics, and another superbowl later - there's certainly something to that. but that attitude still bugs me - and i think it's relevant to the team's meltdown this year.

there's sure plenty of blame to go around, but i still see ben playing lackluster ... with no urgency at all - unless it's all on the line at the end. at that point he's as good as they come. the problem is that by that point the defense has been on the field WAY too much, the other team has been building offensive momentum, and we've let them stay in the game long past when it should have been a done deal.

look at the way other great QBs come out on fire from the start ... with urgency ... like they want to start pulling ahead right away. i never feel that way with ben. i know the play calling also changes when it's coming down to the wire, and the defenses play differently as well. and perhaps this criticism is equally applicable to arians. but i still feel like ben only plays 75% through most of the game.

so i propose that ben gets hypnotized so that any time they are ahead by less then 20 points it seems to him they are behind with 2 minutes left.

and for the record, Ben has the most come from behind 4th quarter/OT victories since 2004 (which is when we drafted him). Sorry he cant do that with a terrible 3rd down defense...

Texasteel
12-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Ben has a tendency to try to carry the entire weight of his team on his back when they underperform. He tries to sometimes do too much.

I brought this up in the gameday thread, but when he played Iowa at Miami, the Hawkeyes had perhaps the best defense in the Country, and they were ranked #3 going into the game (This was in 2002). Ben was DOMINANT. He threw for almost 400 yards, had 2 TD's to 1 INT, and I think the score was something like 30-24 Iowa.

They played AT Iowa the following year, Iowa's defense was even better, and Miami was severely overmatched. Ben tried to do too much to overcome the talent gap. He tossed like 4 INT's. He was a gunslinger. That's what he is. It can't really be fixed, nor should it be...

Revefs, I watched that game. I watched the rerun of that game, twice. That game was not Bens fault. At times it looked like Miami was only using 3 linemen. By the 2nd half Ben was so flustered he could hardly think. However I seem to remember he took the blame for the game even thought it was not his fault.