PDA

View Full Version : Question on Dick Lebeau???

Steeldude
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
now don't get upset. finish reading it all before making an absurd rah-rah fan comment.

is it time for lebeau to retire? now i am not advocating he should retire. nor am i saying he is a horrible DC. sometimes it's just time to retire or perhaps take some time off. it was time for noll to go, right? i didn't really want him to go, but i think he realized it was just his time. when you do something for so long you can become tired, burned-out, relaxed, complacent, bored or any number of other things.

now let me repeat so the angry lemmings don't get upset. i am not saying lebeau should leave or that he sucks or that the steelers should ask him to leave. he is still head and shoulders above many, many DCs in the NFL.

retiring doesn't mean you aren't good at what you do. now if he does retire, who replaces him?

i would just like to read some opinions from other fans on the issue.

fansince'76
12-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I would think Keith Butler would be next in line for the job, personally. LeBeau can't coach forever.

HometownGal
12-07-2009, 08:47 AM
I'd hate to see Papa Lebeau retire, but I know it's coming somewhere down the road, as it's only common sense that at some point it's going to happen. I believe he stayed this season in the hope of winning another Super Bowl, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen as it stands right now so he just might step down after this season. As far as his replacement goes - the Steelers usually promote from within so I'd have to agree with Gary here that it most likely would be Butler.

O Sensei
12-07-2009, 08:51 AM
The problem is his defenses are consistently on the plus side of the effective meter and at the risk of being a bandwagon guy if the secondary catches half of the relatively routine INT opps they have had....we are quite likely looking at a very different record. Burnett dropped another yesterday that probably would have sealed victory. So the concept which hasn't really changed much and all of you with a working knowledge of this 3-4 know what that concept is....is certainly sound, so blaming this collapse on lebeau isn't very realistic. The players have been put into position to succeed they are too often just NPI....dropping the ball.

O Sensei
12-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Sorry I didn't answer the question...I'd have to agree, Butler is the next in line when DL decides to go. It's almost unthinkable but how would you like to be the guy that tells the father of the 3-4 zone blitz it's time to hang it up? Damn DBs.

public - enemy
12-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Lebeau is not the problem. Th problem is weak corners and our secondary is awful.

scsteeler
12-07-2009, 09:13 AM
At some point Lebeau will retire. I would like for it to be when he decides that its time.

Secondary is just playing horrible and drafting a quality Corner is crucial this upcoming draft. Our loses this year have come mostly in the 4th with the defense giving up big play after big play to allow the other team to win.

KeiselPower99
12-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Butler will probably get the job when LeBeau retires. I dont see us drafting a CB in the next draft because we drafted 2 this past year. Yes I know they suck because they havent seen the field and all that junk. Ya gotta give em a year in our system.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
He cant coach forever and his retirement isnt that far off, but I think he comes back next year. Tough to leave on such a bad note as what might be an 8-8 season.

Everybody is complaining about the secondary, but I still believe all football starts up front. There isnt enough consistent pressure on the QB and Gradkowski seemed to have a lot of time to throw the ball for the most part. Being old, injured and thin on the D line hurts more than the absence of Polamalu IMO.

BlastFurnace
12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Ya gotta give em a year in our system.

I have a hard time believing that Lewis or Burnett could play any worse than Gay has this year.

The Steelers secondary is not deep at all this season and the veterans....Deshea, Carter, Ratliff (when he was here) did not get the job done at all. I hope they give these two young corners some time these next 4 games. There is nothing else to play for.

SteelCityMom
12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree that Butler would probably take over, he knows the system much better than any outsider would.

I don't necessarily think that Lebeau SHOULD retire because the secondary has been struggling this year, but I wouldn't blame him if he did either. I think we all know that it's coming sometime in the future, and it will probably be sooner than later. I'm definitely proud of all the success he's helped bring this team over the years though.

KeiselPower99
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I have a hard time believing that Lewis or Burnett could play any worse than Gay has this year.

The Steelers secondary is not deep at all this season and the veterans....Deshea, Carter, Ratliff (when he was here) did not get the job done at all. I hope they give these two young corners some time these next 4 games. There is nothing else to play for.

I do agee with ya on that one. Gay has looked horrible at times and Burnett or Lewis would have to play better then he has.

Rick5895
12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I cant see Gay playing on Thursday, so I guess we will see about either Burnet or Lewis. I also think Butler would do a good job, as would John Mitchell our DL coach (who also is our ASST> HC)
I for one hope Lebeau stays one more season.

supa_fly_steeler
12-07-2009, 12:54 PM
john mitchell plans to retire at the end of the 2010 season.

O Sensei
12-07-2009, 01:04 PM
He cant coach forever and his retirement isnt that far off, but I think he comes back next year. Tough to leave on such a bad note as what might be an 8-8 season.

Everybody is complaining about the secondary, but I still believe all football starts up front. There isnt enough consistent pressure on the QB and Gradkowski seemed to have a lot of time to throw the ball for the most part. Being old, injured and thin on the D line hurts more than the absence of Polamalu IMO.

The thing is though the D line is mostly there to occupy, the linebackers and designed rushers would be the ones NOT getting the pressure. Any pressure put on the qb by the three man line is gravy, thats where Aaron is so missed because he and Big Snack would often occupy two guys apiece. I'm actaully surprised how active Diesel HAS BEEN with the pressures. I realize age is maybe somewhat of a factor but I think the drop off in talent from Troy to whomever else is so dramatic that lebeau is unable to use a lot of what he normally does. the whole defense is predicated on keeping the opps in front of you between the twentys, limiting YAC and creating questions in the QBs and offensive minds overall as to where the pressure will come from, when it will come and troy is as integral a part of that as anyone, that said...they sure as hell should be good enough to shut down the raiders and a journeyman qb.

O Sensei
12-07-2009, 01:10 PM
john mitchell plans to retire at the end of the 2010 season.

Man I just happened to meet him the other night just by happenstance. Very classy, intelligent guy. Had no idea he had been in the game as long as he has been. Coached under Bryant and Holtz over the course of his career, played at 'bama, all american DE. Lovely wife, very statuesque.

Steelboy84
12-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Lebeau is not the problem. Th problem is weak corners and our secondary is awful.

:thumbsup:

Steelerfreak58
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
There is nothing else to play for.

Pride and finishing off 10-6 instead of 6-10....

Although I do agree get those young guys some experience. Gay has just not been doing well.

stillers4me
12-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Dick LeBeau will retire when he thinks he can no longer contribute anything else.

If nothing else, I think this season will light a fire under him to right a sinking ship before he sails off himself. I don't see him retiring anytime soon.

steelerchad
12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
I hate to say one player is so important. But Troy is Lebeau's wild card. He can do it all. Play the run, defend the pass, Blitz, and actually catch the ball. Without this versatility this defense is too vanilla. Not enough big plays to get off the field.
Look at our record with and without him this year.
1-6 without him
5-0 with him

Nighthawk
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I think when he feels like he's ready then it'll be time... It'll be sad but that's probably how it will be. I could see him doing it after this season - depending on his thoughts if we can get back to the big game or not..

Steeldude
12-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Look at our record with and without him this year.
1-6 without him
5-0 with him

and it's horrible if that is truly the reason. i think the problem is much more than polamalu missing. the steelers should easily handle the chiefs and raiders without polamalu.

WH
12-08-2009, 03:16 AM
So is his new nickname Lebeau-pa?

vasteeler
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
and it's horrible if that is truly the reason. i think the problem is much more than polamalu missing. the steelers should easily handle the chiefs and raiders without polamalu.

i agree there is no way missing troy is the sole reason for our defensive struggles

markymarc
12-08-2009, 09:02 PM
It will be a very sad day when LeBeau decides to retire. Once that does happen we will see what Keith Butler can do for the defense.