PDA

View Full Version : Keyaron Fox

public - enemy
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm a big JFarrior fan, but I would like to see what Fox has. Farrior has noticebly lost a step.

SteeleReign
12-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Interesting point, but our losses (other than the blown coverage on Brian Leonard v. Cincy) aren't directly attributable to Farrior. JF is still leading the team in tackles & is a top-notch LB in the league. If the secondary would do it's part, there would be no reason to cast the spotlight on Farrior.

Steelers>NFL
12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Interesting point, but our losses (other than the blown coverage on Brian Leonard v. Cincy) aren't directly attributable to Farrior. JF is still leading the team in tackles & is a top-notch LB in the league. If the secondary would do it's part, there would be no reason to cast the spotlight on Farrior.
Farrior was the one who covered Ray Rice last week on 4th & 5.
That was a major mismatch.
Should have been Timmons on Rice.

steelerchad
12-07-2009, 09:26 AM

I guess you forgot about him not being able to cover rice on a 5 yard in route on 4th and 5. I understand Rice is a good receiver out of the backfield but he took that for 40 yards at a crucial time in the game. If we make a play there, it's game over.

Plays are not being made on defense period.

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Farrior has 80 tackles....Harrison is a distant 2nd with 67. He'll end up with close to 100 tackles this year. He's not "noticeably slowed" at all. He fell down on that long pass to Rice, which happens.

However, I'd like to see the Steelers involved some of their back-ups a little more from here on out. We've lost 4 straight, so what's the worst that could happen, we lose more games?

The bottom line is this team is not good enough (at least not right now) to even MAKE the playoffs, let alone win in them. We've just dropped two straight to NFL bottom-feeders. At some point we've got to look to the future, and evaluating some of our other players in real games will help in making decisions in the off-season for next year.

I'd like to see more of Hood, more of Fox, more from the young CB's, more of Sweed, and maybe even some more of Dixon at QB.

BlastFurnace
12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Farrior has 80 tackles....Harrison is a distant 2nd with 67. He'll end up with close to 100 tackles this year. He's not "noticeably slowed" at all. He fell down on that long pass to Rice, which happens.

However, I'd like to see the Steelers involved some of their back-ups a little more from here on out. We've lost 4 straight, so what's the worst that could happen, we lose more games?

The bottom line is this team is not good enough (at least not right now) to even MAKE the playoffs, let alone win in them. We've just dropped two straight to NFL bottom-feeders. At some point we've got to look to the future, and evaluating some of our other players in real games will help in making decisions in the off-season for next year.

I'd like to see more of Hood, more of Fox, more from the young CB's, more of Sweed, and maybe even some more of Dixon at QB.

I agree. I hope they don't put Deshea at the other CB spot when Gay is out. I want to see what Burnett or Lewis can do. I would also like to see Mundy starting in place of Carter. Heck, let's get some Sonny Harris time in instead of Kirsche or Eason.

What I think could benefit us as well is to get Sweed some touches. I'm not talking to take over for either Ward or Holmes, but if we can get him some more game time...perhaps build some confidence...who knows for next year.

SteeleReign
12-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I guess you forgot about him not being able to cover rice on a 5 yard in route on 4th and 5. I understand Rice is a good receiver out of the backfield but he took that for 40 yards at a crucial time in the game. If we make a play there, it's game over.

Plays are not being made on defense period.

No, I hadn't forgotten that. But, there were a number of missed tackles on that play & in the entire game. You can't expect Farrior or any LB to cover Ray Rice one-on-one without some over-the-top help. The fact is, had a DB stepped up & made a tackle that play goes for 15 rather than 50. Our defensive philosophy is "bend but don't break" & "don't give up the big play"...it takes all 11 players to accomplish that.

jjpro11
12-07-2009, 06:39 PM
that 4th down play pissed me off. the Steelers should have called a time out when they motioned Rice out to WR.. i don't know what they were thinking letting Farrior play him man-to-man in the open field. everyone in the stadium knew Rice was getting the ball. whether you like it or not, he has turned into a very good RB and already one of the best pass catching RBs in the league.. him vs any linebacker is a mismatch. that was the perfect play call and it got us.

Fire Haley
12-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Bench Timmons and play Fox - I agree.

The thing about Timmons is he looks good when he's fresh and gets a clean lane to rush - but put a hand on him and he disappears.

His "speed" that was supposed to help our pass defense is worthless because he looks like a chicken with it's head cut off out there - he's never in the right position and just "waves" at a lot of passes going over and around him. Give Fox a try.

And of course there's a thread discussing all this

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=43800

but you had to start this crappy thread.

SteeleReign
12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
that 4th down play pissed me off. the Steelers should have called a time out when they motioned Rice out to WR.. i don't know what they were thinking letting Farrior play him man-to-man in the open field. everyone in the stadium knew Rice was getting the ball. whether you like it or not, he has turned into a very good RB and already one of the best pass catching RBs in the league.. him vs any linebacker is a mismatch. that was the perfect play call and it got us.

Yep. Maybe some of this is attributable to Tomlin being a young coach. Young players make mistakes, so do young coaches. Time management, in-game adjustments, when to kick a long field goal, personnel decisions, etc are all things that young coaches learn through experience & time.

Tomlin will learn some of those things as time goes on.

stillers4me
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Yep. Maybe some of this is attributable to Tomlin being a young coach. Young players make mistakes, so do young coaches. Time management, in-game adjustments, when to kick a long field goal, personnel decisions, etc are all things that young coaches learn through experience & time.

Tomlin will learn some of those things as time goes on.

Sometimes people forget that he is only in his 3rd year as head coach, and that each year brings with it new challenges. This year, it was coming off a superbowl win. Not many coaches have that challenge ever in their career, let alone so early.

Next time will be better. :thumbsup:

steeltheone
12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Agreed that Farrior has lost a step. he can't cover anybody. Still a good player but not near one of the best in the league anymore! We can't bench Timmons he is our future. Farrior is on the downhill slide. We need to know if we have his replacement .

devilsdancefloor
12-07-2009, 07:55 PM
well potsie is a great LBer no if ands or buts, but the writing is on the wall. last year he covers Rice & Leonard (4-10 1st cini game) and they do not get the first down. He has lost something i dont know if he is getting tired or lost that magical step. I do agree fox should play maybe on 3rd downs :noidea: and we need to draft a ILB so he can be taught by one of the best. timmons has played like a beast when his ankle hasnt bothered him. to be honest i think our LBers have played very well.