PDA

View Full Version : Thinning of the "Heard"....

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 09:08 AM
There is one bright spot from a season pretty much already over after 12 games. I noticed yesterday in the gameday thread many people saying things along the line of "Well, I'm hanging up my Steelers gear for the year".

Good riddance.

There are a lot of newer, fickle spoiled fans who haven't really experienced losing, and pretty much all they do is bitch. I have NO problem with them packing it in and heading off to greener pastures. REAL fans need to learn to endure the lean times along with all the winning. It's fine to complain (and Lord knows I'm as unhappy with our recent performance as any member of this board), but it's childish and silly to think that things will always be rosy, EVEN for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers have multiple problems in all 3 facets of the game right now, but they have a recipe for success, a system that breeds excellence, and one down year simply means they need to work harder and get better for next year. And there WILL be a next year.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-07-2009, 09:10 AM
There is one bright spot from a season pretty much already over after 12 games. I noticed yesterday in the gameday thread many people saying things along the line of "Well, I'm hanging up my Steelers gear for the year".

Good riddance.

There are a lot of newer, fickle spoiled fans who haven't really experienced losing, and pretty much all they do is bitch. I have NO problem with them packing it in and heading off to greener pastures. REAL fans need to learn to endure the lean times along with all the winning. It's fine to complain (and Lord knows I'm as unhappy with our recent performance as any member of this board), but it's childish and silly to think that things will always be rosy, EVEN for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers have multiple problems in all 3 facets of the game right now, but they have a recipe for success, a system that breeds excellence, and one down year simply means they need to work harder and get better for next year. And there WILL be a next year.

:thumbsup:

Thank You.

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Oh, and before anyone questions using the word "heard", I did that on purpose....it's a play on words, and means I've heard all the bitching from the fair weather fans...

steelerchad
12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm with you on this. I'm usually pretty depressed on Sunday night and maybe a little Monday morning after a loss. But by lunch time Monday, I've got it in perspective. This surely looks to be a down year. But we're 6-6 which means we are basically an average team. Many teams make it a company standard of being average or below.

Ask yourself, when the last time the Steelers were one of the doormats of the league? When were they so bad they weren't even in playoff contention by Nov.1st? When was the last time they lost more than 11 games in a season?

Answer to all of these is never in your lifetime if you're under age 40. In this time the Steelers have given us more SuperBowls, playoff seasons, and non losing seasons than any other team in the NFL.
I'm thankful for the success we've had and know that we'll get back to the Steelers standards soon.

I'm also not giving up on this team yet. Playoffs are still possible for this year as well and I'll believe until we hit loss #8 that we're officially done.

SCSTILLER
12-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Good post! Remember, Cowher had some terrible years.

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Welp, somebody changed it back to "herd", so....so much for the punning...

Dino 6 Rings
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Nice Hot Shower makes it all ok. Besides, after the game, I turned off all football and got to watch a movie with the family...so like...there is that...

usually after a win I watch highlights and all the other games as well...

Been getting lots of family time in this season LOL!!!

SteelStang
12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I try to always stay away from the boards the day of a game especially after a loss. I need time to cool down and analyze things before I start ranting. I've never been one to post a lot anyway, but win or lose, I'm not going anywhere.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I try to always stay away from the boards the day of a game especially after a loss. I need time to cool down and analyze things before I start ranting. I've never been one to post a lot anyway, but win or lose, I'm not going anywhere.

:drink:

Thats what I'm talking about!!!

X-Terminator
12-07-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm hoping this season clears them out for good. A lot of opposing team fans like to say that the Steelers have the biggest bandwagon in the league. After what I've seen this season, it is very hard to disagree with them.

For those of you who are hanging up your Steelers gear for the season...do us all a favor and don't put it back on. Ever. Find the latest front-runner and jump on their bandwagon. We don't need you.

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm hoping this season clears them out for good. A lot of opposing team fans like to say that the Steelers have the biggest bandwagon in the league. After what I've seen this season, it is very hard to disagree with them.

For those of you who are hanging up your Steelers gear for the season...do us all a favor and don't put it back on. Ever. Find the latest front-runner and jump on their bandwagon. We don't need you.

Man, the Colts and Saints boards must be busy, what with the collapse of both the Steelers AND the Patriots...

It's GOT to be expensive to hop bandwagons, too...buying new jerseys every year and the like...

fansince'76
12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Welp, somebody changed it back to "herd", so....so much for the punning...

Sorry, I changed it back. :doh:

steelballs
12-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Good riddance.

Well said, I'm always amused at the bandwagon bailout after losses. I'll be the first one to complain after a loss, but I've been around for a long time and know that the Steelers will eventually work out the issues and return to the competitive team we all know and love.
If "so-called" fans want to bail, so be it, but I won't be one of them as I've been a Steeler fan for over 40+ years and have been rewarded many times over for my loyalty.

MACH1
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
I made it through the 80's, I think I can make it through this.

And for the one's who can't.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/photos/bridge_jump030722.jpg

KeiselPower99
12-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Good riddance to bandwagon fans. I have a real good friend thats a bandwagon kinda guy. Growing up he was a Dallas fan . Then whe they started for the toilet he become a Titans fan and now he is all over the Colts nuts. I knew this would happen this year if we hit a rough spot.

SteelerFanInCA
12-07-2009, 11:06 AM

I'm right there with you. We also survived the Kordell era. Oh no did I say the "K" word?

MACH1
12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm right there with you. We also survived the Kordell era. Oh no did I say the "K" word?

Gee, Thanks, I had that mentally blocked till now. :flap:

O Sensei
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Yup...those bandwagoners are useless....seat stealing assclowns. Nothing worse than coming back after half and seeing some puke in the seat you worked your ass off for and waited on a damn list to get into.

Unfortunately you don't have to be just under 40 to recall the 5-9 cowher year....those three years in a row, the brister/malone era...I doubt ANY of us go far back enough to recall when they REALLY sucked though, that was before the dawn of time I think.

And then there was the kordell era....is there crying in football????
Hell, they were even competetive with Tomszak under center.

In Ben we trust indeed.

Steeldude
12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
this thread coming from the guy who just posted this comment , "The bottom line is this team is not good enough (at least not right now) to even MAKE the playoffs, let alone win in them. ". i guess he is a packing it in.

O Sensei
12-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm one of those radicals with a "steeler area" in the gameroom...or should I say there is a gameroom in the steeler area of the basement? It's not really a case of hanging it up...it's hung, draped, positioned, encased...it's more of a lifestyle than a decorating scheme....kinda like Fallon was in fever pitch but with better colors, far better franchise. Prized possession? Thats a tough one but I'm still that 8 year old in the lambert jersey from way back when at heart and about 6 years ago I did a design job for him and waived the fee for a signed, game worn jersey and photo. Thanks Mad Jack!

supa_fly_steeler
12-07-2009, 11:39 AM
i love wactching the steelers even if they lose and it's 5:30am
:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

GO STEELERS

hammy36
12-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm with you guys, for sure. I don't post a lot but had to here. I'm 29 (almost 30) and have been a Steelers fan every second of that time. Sometimes they break your heart, that's part of being a fan. Is this season as frustrating as any? Heck yes it is. Am I completely upset after a performance like yesterday? Heck yes I am. Will I continue to fly my flag, wear my gear and hoot and holler during every game? You betcha!! Loving the Steelers isn't just about the winning and the Lombardi's and all that. It's about loving the Steelers! Win or lose, thick or thin, better or worse, in sick times and in health...wait...but you get the picture.

:tt04:

O Sensei
12-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Do you take this franchise to be......

devilsdancefloor
12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
If i can survive the mark malone era i can survive this

psusteelers4life
12-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I never hang up the STEELERS gear I wear it PROUDLY all year long in some sort of fashion same as my PSU Lions stuff. First I love the game of football I miss my days of playing high school football, I know that might sound like something Al Bundy would say but its true.

I was born into a Steeler family 26 yrs ago{and psu} growing up Greg Lloyd was my fav player. I plan my Saturdays and Sundays around watching my teams only way I miss if there is an emergency or wedding I have to be at which i missed a college game this year do to a wedding. I get fired up seeing the Black and Gold take the field gives me goosebumps. I dont miss a game!! I am a lucky man cause my wife doesnt have a problem at all with me being a diehard we have a special bond because of football , same goes with my family.

I know people who call themselves Steeler fans and they dont even watch the game let alone they couldnt tell me who we played that day but they complain if we lose and say they should do this and this and say they love the Steelers, That gets me seeing red, either you are a diehard or not . No matter what I love he Steelers, I might be PO after a loss for a few hours but I could never hate them or say they suck .

Spidey
12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Steelers fan since 1983, been through a lot worse than this, beauty then was, no internet so you didn't get to hear about it, see it and disect it so much!

Steelers fovever!!

stlrtruck
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
I hang up my Steelers gear...

Every time it comes out of the dryer.

Carolina Steelers
12-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Hang up Steelers gear I think not I just picked up a nice warm coat for the Packers game I will be attending in 2 weeks. And I proudly wore my Steelers sweatshirt and hat today grant it I heard from a few people but thats life the good and the bad

SteelerFanInCA
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Just recieved my new Woodley jersey. Breaking it in on Thursday night.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-07-2009, 02:26 PM
No such thing as a bad year.

A poor season equals a good draft slot!!

The_WARDen
12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
No such thing as a bad year.

A poor season equals a good draft slot!!

but that's just it...they never really have poor seasons. Their bad seasons are 6-10.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
but that's just it...they never really have poor seasons. Their bad seasons are 6-10.

The way that I look at it...if we can get Cody, it will take away alot of the sting.

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Steelers fan since 1983, been through a lot worse than this, beauty then was, no internet so you didn't get to hear about it, see it and disect it so much!

Steelers fovever!!

That's a pretty valid point....

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
why does "bitching" as many of you put it = bandwagon hopping. you can't be mad because we play poorly and criticize the coaches and players? and if you do you are not a real steeler fan? i never understood that logic and never will. i'll support and watch the team until the end but that's not gonna stop me from thinking this season is a wash.

I think the season is a wash, too...but there is a VAST difference between just blindly bashing anything bad that happens to the Steelers without exhibiting some knowledge of the complexity of exactly WHY bad things are happening.

For example. We run a pass play with a single back in the backfield. Ben drops back, and the defense blitzes. We have 5 against 6 at the point of attack. The RB ducks to try and take the legs out from under the blitzing LB and misses. Ben is sacked.

80% of the posters on this board will say it was "bad playcalling" or "The offensive line sucks". When in fact, it was the RB's fault for poor technique in pass blocking. I just made that scenario up off the top of my head (and it was very simplistic), but it's pretty indicative of what goes on around here...

stillers4me
12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
If I can stomach Bengals fans, I can handle anything.

GutterflowerSteel
12-07-2009, 05:03 PM
If I can stomach Bengals fans, I can handle anything.
I'm with ya - I have to deal with c0cky Ravens fans around here.

Win, lose or tie - STEELERS FAN til I die :tt02: I watch every game til they walk off the field - and I wear my Steelers gear to work every Football Friday :tt:

HometownGal
12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I said basically the same thing in a thread on Sunday night and got hammered for it (not that I gave a shit. :chuckle:)

I look at it this way and it's very simple. As Steelers fans, we are privileged to be fans of such a dynamic franchise that strives for excellence year in and year out. Since the early 70's, the Steelers have been pretty competitive (other than a bad season here and there) and have given us fans basically everything we could ask for. We have what 15 NFL fanbases have never experienced X 6!!! :tt02::thumbsup: There are hundreds of reasons why I'm honored to be a Steelers fan and one that stands out for me is that when we do have a bad season or a few bad seasons in a row, we know without a shadow of a doubt that we won't be in that valley for long! :tt04:

As most people know - I don't tolerate FWF's or bandwagoners either here at SF or in "real time". If ya can't deal with both the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat - find another team's wagon to hitch yourself to - we don't need you and we don't want you.

solardave
12-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Good riddance.

Well put. I've done my share of Bitchin' on here but anyone who knows me knows I bleed Black and Gold. If the Steelers moved out of Pittsburgh I'd give up football. there is no one else I'd like to root for.Win,lose or draw I'll wear my colors and be proud.

solardave
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
:thumbsup::toofunny:I'm hoping this season clears them out for good. A lot of opposing team fans like to say that the Steelers have the biggest bandwagon in the league. After what I've seen this season, it is very hard to disagree with them.

:thumbsup:

SteelGhost
12-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Good riddance.

I'm with you in this one Rev :thumbsup:

Steeler in Carolina
12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Steeler gear is made to wear year round. I will wear mine whether we go 16-0 or 0-16.

Neat little fact. The Steelers have the longest stretch of not finishing last in their division.

kmsteelerwr15
12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Steeler gear is made to wear year round. I will wear mine whether we go 16-0 or 0-16.

Neat little fact. The Steelers have the longest stretch of not finishing last in their division.

Yeah I'm with you on that. :thumbsup: I always have my gear on whether it be a hat, shirt, jersey, wrist band, or anything else. I where it win or lose because I am not ashamed to be a Steelers fan; I am more thankful in seasons like this because i know that I do not have to worry about consistant seasons like this. :tt04:

xbroughneck
12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
If i can survive the mark malone era i can survive this

Walter Abercrombie for the win. LOL.:tt03:

Yeah...I tollerated the Mike Tomzak years, Merrill Hoge, Louis Lipps years....

Steelers appear to be set at QB, RB, linebacker and strong safety. I can wait for them to put the rest of the pieces together.

Go Steelers.

stillers4me
12-07-2009, 05:44 PM

I will never, ever be a Bungle fan and only wear my team gear when they are winning.

Bungle fans waste alot of money. :chuckle:

43Hitman
12-07-2009, 05:47 PM

:toofunny: I made it too brother! It will be kinda nice to have a bit more elbow room, and most of us old school fans take baths. Still hoping a great ending to this season though. It's not over till it's over.

Galax Steeler
12-08-2009, 04:24 AM

Good riddance.

Well said :tt04:

Rick5895
12-08-2009, 05:23 AM
If we can get through the Cliff Stoudt years we will get through everything. I said it on another thread earlier, we are spoiled but I remember the bad times of the 80's too. Makes us appreciate the best team/organization in pro sports all the more. GO STEELERS!!!!!!

revefsreleets
12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Holy Christ, now you've done it!

You brought up Cliff Stoudt....

The_WARDen
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
you all sound like a bunch of grumpy old men...

:chuckle: