PDA

View Full Version : Ward out for week 14?

Shoes
12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4722075

PITTSBURGH -- Not only are the Steelers frustrated with their season-high four-game losing streak, but the defending champs are also ailing.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin said Monday that team captain and veteran receiver Hines Ward is "very questionable" with a hamstring injury for Thursday's game against the Cleveland Browns. Ward was injured late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 27-24 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

"We'll see where it goes, but it's not favorable for him," Tomlin said.

Starting cornerback William Gay also suffered a concussion and will go through a battery of tests. Considering the short week, it's likely Gay won't see the field on Thursday. Rookie cornerback Joe Burnett would start in Gay's place, according to Tomlin, along with fellow rookie Keenan Lewis seeing some playing time.

Tomlin added that, for the first time this season, the coaching staff is looking to make significant changes in the starting lineup in all three phases in an effort to end the losing streak. Pittsburgh (6-6) has to run the table in the final four games to keep its playoff hopes alive.

Tomlin isn't worried about how veterans on his team will respond if changes are made.

"They're pros," Tomlin said. "I think they understand it, and I think to a degree they'll agree with me. That's the nature of this thing. We can't stay status quo in terms of how we approach this thing and expect guys' behavior or the outcome to change. That's unrealistic.

"That's hoping and this is not a hope business. I'm not a hope-mentality person."

In other injury news, Steelers Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (knee) also is not expected to play Thursday. Starting running back Rashard Mendenhall (ankle) will be limited in practice this week but is expected to play.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

Dino 6 Rings
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Good god...we better beat the fcking browns. I don't care if we are 2-14 (well yeah I do but....) we better beat the god awful Browns...

SteelCityMom
12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I wonder if the locker room is split as to whether Ward should play or not.

Sorry...kidding, someone had to say it though.

In theory they SHOULD play just fine against the Browns w/o Ward...in the reality of this season though, who knows.

Crow-Magnon
12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Good god...we better beat the fcking browns. I don't care if we are 2-14 (well yeah I do but....) we better beat the god awful Browns...

If the Steelers lose to Cleveland Thursday, this site is going make Chernobyl look like a backyard BBQ! :banging:

Seriously........Cleveland? I'd crap a brick if that happens.

SteelerEmpire
12-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Well Gay is out... he has been performing as a pretty substantial weak link on the defense any way. If we can pull thurs. game off and get Troy back at Green Bay and begin firing on all cylinders, that's are only chance to survive for that last spot in the playoffs.
But after the last for game losses, I'm already prepared for the worse...

Shoes
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
More play time for Sweed and Mike Wallace. Hope it goes well for Sweed.

Spidey
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Tomlin added that, for the first time this season, the coaching staff is looking to make significant changes in the starting lineup in all three phases in an effort to end the losing streak.

No Farrior on third down, Woodley sharing time outside . . . . I hope so!

SteelerEmpire
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM

In theory they SHOULD play just fine against the Browns w/o Ward...in the reality of this season though, who knows.

As long as our opponents can throw against this team... anything can happen in the remaining games.... Just approach the remaining games realistically by not getting our hopes up....

devilsdancefloor
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Tomlin added that, for the first time this season, the coaching staff is looking to make significant changes in the starting lineup in all three phases in an effort to end the losing streak.

No Farrior on third down, Woodley sharing time outside . . . . I hope so!

ok i will bite who is gonna share time with Woodley??? Also why would we take out our linebacker who gets everyone lined up? and who has the radio in his helmet??:doh::doh:

Angus Burgher
12-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Let's not overlook the fact that Brady Quinn threw for 3 touchdowns yesterday against a San Diego Chargers team that's playing a lot better football than we are.

Nothing is certain anymore, folks. If we can lose to the Chiefs and the Raiders, we can lose to the Browns. I'm not saying that we WILL, I'm just saying that I don't think I can muster another "We'll blow them out 42-10" any longer. I wouldn't be surprised if, again, this comes down to the 4th quarter. I just hope that if it does, we finally come out on top.

BlastFurnace
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM

LOL...I bet Ben has played with a pulled hammy

psusteelers4life
I will say I am looking forward to see how Burnett and Lewis play on Thursday. Not to be negative cause thats not me but the Browns will come out fired up I'm sure in their eyes they can see a wounded Steelers team they think they can steal a win from. I hope I am wrong. We need to find some heart and get it going!!:tt04:

casteeler
i would rather sit ward against cleveland and put troy in for one a couple of def series just for pass protection . If the steelers don't get some identity back before green bay it's time to start talking about a penguins repeat

stb_steeler
12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
If the Steelers lose to Cleveland Thursday, this site is going make Chernobyl look like a backyard BBQ! :banging:

Well Raiders arent no better than brownies rite now .

Fire Haley
12-07-2009, 02:32 PM
So, has Ben called him a wuss yet?

AlleghanyAdams87
12-07-2009, 02:46 PM
Anyone who thinks Woodley should sit needs to go rewatch some games this year. Stats aren't everything. Watch the games people.

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, this is Sweed's chance to shine.

Contrary to popular belief, I DO NOT want him to fail. I just think it is now inevitable...

The_WARDen
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Does Ward know that this game is like a playoff game? It's pretty much a must win..
I mean, Ben needs his receiver out there....this has to be disappointing to him.

:popcorn:

Steelers>NFL
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
The Steelers let the Browns "hang around" in their first meeting.
So anything is possible.......................................... ...............................

Edman
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
If the Steelers can lose to the Chiefs and Raiders. They can lose to the Browns. This is not that kind of team this year folks. We beat half-decent teams and lose to bad teams.

Anyway, I've already lost hope for this season and currently tracking the Steelers current draft position. If the Steelers lose to the Browns, well, you just toss what is left of the season into the shredder.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
ok i will bite who is gonna share time with Woodley??? Also why would we take out our linebacker who gets everyone lined up? and who has the radio in his helmet??:doh::doh:

Maybe Timmons ends up sharing time with Woodley and Fox plays inside. As for Farrior, he hasnt looked that good recently and I again would not doubt that Fox plays in the nickle instead of Farrior.

Man, I wish we drafted Jasper Brinkley when he was still sitting around in the 5th.

AllD
12-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Ward probably said "F It!" and sitting on a hammy is a good excuse. The coaching staff and players really effed up a good opportunity this year. Could have made history, instead they made a mockery of defending a title for The City of Champions.

A win somewhere a few weeks ago would have helped, but this team was playing on reputation since game 1.

Whoever hits the field from here is playing for their job. I just hope we don't lose Ward whether it be to retirement or asking for a trade.

You already know Sweed doesn't have the guts to come out and play in the NFL. He has no poise or maturity and should be arrested for stealing every time he receives a game check.

btaylor179
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
yea i agree......we lost to the chiefs and raiders.....losing to the browns wouldn't surprise me at all

btaylor179
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
yea don't know why sweed is still on the team....

solardave
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM

If we've proven nothing else this year we have proof that any team can beat our team. We are the poster children for the "on any given Sunday" slogan.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-07-2009, 09:14 PM
yea don't know why sweed is still on the team....

Because he is a second round draft pick in the second year of his career who's yet to receive a fair chance to shine?:noidea: