PDA

View Full Version : Here's your opportunity SWEEED

Merchant
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Ward is out for thursday. You were the top receiver taken in the '08 draft, and have been warming the bench having been outshined by a 3rd round pick. THE TIME NOW IS NOW SWEED. THE TIME IS NOW!!!

Nadroj 20
12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I would LOVE to see him step up and have a nice game. Going against the Browns should be a good way to build his confidence and hopefully he does.

Angus Burgher
12-07-2009, 01:03 PM
If they give him a shot, I hope he comes up big.

Wow, wouldn't that turn everything on its head if Sweed somehow turned out to be the guy that saved the season?

Merchant
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Wow, wouldn't that turn everything on its head if Sweed somehow turned out to be the guy that saved the season?

That doesn't really make sense considering offense hasn't really been the problem in our losses. But yes, it would be nice to see him have a big game, and it's possible against the Browns if Ben gives him the opportunities to do it.

SteelerEmpire
12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
There's absolutely no reason this kid should not be ready after being with the Steelers all these years... If he does not have some kind of good performance before the end of the year he will most likely be cut "this" off season.

Angus Burgher
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
That doesn't really make sense considering offense hasn't really been the problem in our losses. But yes, it would be nice to see him have a big game, and it's possible against the Browns if Ben gives him the opportunities to do it.

Oh, I agree with you there... the defense has been the problem. But if the offense puts up seven damn near everytime it gets on the field, then they don't have to worry about how many times the D blows it.

scsteeler
12-07-2009, 01:18 PM

The offense has not been what has hurt us the most it has been the defense so unless Sweed is going to play DB it won't matter how many we put up the defense has to shut down those comeback drives that we seem to have been allowing lately.

SteelStang
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Heck with Sweed. Get Heath involved with the passing game again.

Merchant
12-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Heck with Sweed. Get Heath involved with the passing game again.

HEATH DROPPED A BALL YESTERDAY!! BENCH HIM!!

lol j/k. no reason why they both can't have a big game. plenty of catches for everybody this thursday!!

maybe even Ike Taylor or Joe Burnett will catch a ball for once!!

scsteeler
12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Oh, I agree with you there... the defense has been the problem. But if the offense puts up seven damn near everytime it gets on the field, then they don't have to worry about how many times the D blows it.

Yes they will have to worry, look long and hard at the games we have lost and all have some common things the Defense when it counts in the 4th quarter and 3rd down can not stop anyone which is total opposite of what we did last year and the secondary was the best in the NFL at covering receivers.

SteelStang
12-07-2009, 01:25 PM
HEATH DROPPED A BALL YESTERDAY!! BENCH HIM!!

lol j/k. no reason why they both can't have a big game. plenty of catches for everybody this thursday!!

maybe even Ike Taylor or Joe Burnett will catch a ball for once!!

I'll agree with Joe, but I have NO confidence in Ike catching a ball...

I think we have become so used to HM catching balls that when he drops one it is headline news.

Spidey
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes they will have to worry, look long and hard at the games we have lost and all have some common things the Defense when it counts in the 4th quarter and 3rd down can not stop anyone which is total opposite of what we did last year and the secondary was the best in the NFL at covering receivers.

The defense was the sole reason for the win over the Vikes, and that's just one instance!

Okay, this last loss was as much on the defense as the offense!

But I'd say it's a lack of offensive production that has thwarted us more than the defense. This defense led us to the Superbowl title last season!!!

We're mssing our best defensive secondary player and arguably our best down lineman!

What starters were missing from the offensive lineup yesterday?

The offensive output first half yesterday was a mere 10 points, the offense tuned the ball over on downs inside the ten and the offense through an interception in the EZ.

A decent offensive co-ordinator with this talent would have had the game sewn up by half-time!:banging:

stlrtruck
12-07-2009, 01:45 PM
This may be his last opportunity to prove he deserves to be in the black and gold.

MACH1
12-07-2009, 01:46 PM
The defense was the sole reason for the win over the Vikes, and that's just one instance!

Okay, this last loss was as much on the defense as the offense!

But I'd say it's a lack of offensive production that has thwarted us more than the defense. This defense led us to the Superbowl title last season!!!

We're mssing our best defensive secondary player and arguably our best down lineman!

What starters were missing from the offensive lineup yesterday?

The offensive output first half yesterday was a mere 10 points, the offense tuned the ball over on downs inside the ten and the offense through an interception in the EZ.

A decent offensive co-ordinator with this talent would have had the game sewn up by half-time!:banging:

Didn't you hear. It's not the coaches, it the lack of execution. :rolleyes:

7willBheaven
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Ward is out for thursday. You were the top receiver taken in the '08 draft, and have been warming the bench having been outshined by a 3rd round pick. THE TIME NOW IS NOW SWEED. THE TIME IS NOW!!!

Actually Sweed wasnt the top WR taken in that draft. There were like 7-8 taken before him in that round alone!

Merchant
12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Actually Sweed wasnt the top WR taken in that draft. There were like 7-8 taken before him in that round alone!

No. We took mendenhall with our first round pick. and sweed with our 2nd round pick. and sweed was the 1st WR taken in that draft.

You're thinking of this past draft when heyward bey, crabtree, maclin, britt, nicks, were taken.

Nadroj 20
12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
No. We took mendenhall with our first round pick. and sweed with our 2nd round pick. and sweed was the 1st WR taken in that draft.

You're thinking of this past draft when heyward bey, crabtree, maclin, britt, nicks, were taken.

Donnie Avery (33rd), Devin Thomas (34th), Jordy Nelson (36th), James Hardy (41st), Eddie Royal (42nd), Jerome Simpson (46th), Desean Jackson (49th), and Malcom Kelly (51st) were all taken before Sweed at 53rd

http://football.about.com/od/nfldrafthistory/a/2008draftresult.htm

Merchant
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Donnie Avery (33rd), Devin Thomas (34th), Jordy Nelson (36th), James Hardy (41st), Eddie Royal (42nd), Jerome Simpson (46th), Desean Jackson (49th), and Malcom Kelly (51st) were all taken before Sweed at 53rd

Wow. Really? I was so sure...

MY WORLD HAS COME CRASHING DOWN!!

lol

BigBen'sSwagger
12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Amen Spidey

BTW did you see who dropped the Hail Mary in the endzone???

Yep Limas Sweed.

I hope he turns it around but he hasn't caught a thing yet, but I am still hoping.

stlrtruck
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I hope he turns it around but he hasn't caught a thing yet, but I am still hoping.

I heard he caught a cold last year, but don't have the official word.

revefsreleets
12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
This IS Sweed's chance to shine. I have heard SO MUCH pro-Sweed propaganda, that I expect nothing less than a 10 catch, 200 yard, 3 D performance. He WILL be playing a depleted Browns secondary that wasn't very good to begin with, a team with almost no pass rush, so Ben should have all day back there to find his tall WR.

Seriously? If they throw the ball Sweed's way 5 times, I'd be happy with catches. That's all I ask....

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM

:rofl: No, you must have been thinking of another draft. :chuckle: Nice pickup.

Bubby Blister
12-07-2009, 03:23 PM
If he had a great game against the Browns would it really mean anything? Put me in there, I'll come up with some big plays against them!

ricardisimo
12-07-2009, 03:28 PM

I was wondering when someone was going to point that out. For whatever it's worth, only two or three of the other WRs picked picked that year have done significantly better that Sweed. There's a reason no wideouts were picked in the first round that year.

Who am I kidding, though? If any of those other guys have caught 14 catches they've already doubled Sweed's output... that would qualify as "significantly better", I'd say.

Godfather
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Is Ward's streak over if he doesn't play, or can you miss a game and pick up where you left off?

BlockMonsta
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
For as much as I would like for Sweed to suceed, I would like to the see the two rookie corners do well and take "lack of big play" Willam Gay's spot.

btaylor179
12-07-2009, 04:33 PM
limus shouldve caught the ball at the end of the game...the ball hit his hands and youre taught that whenever the ball touches your hands you are supoose to catch it....really felt he could've and should've caught the hail mary.....

Steelerfreak58
12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
For as much as I would like for Sweed to suceed, I would like to the see the two rookie corners do well and take "lack of big play" Willam Gay's spot.

You mean like Burnett dropping a hand gift wrapped interception that a kid in Pee Wee league could have caught and ended the game with Jokeland with a win? Yeah big play maker....

Steelerfreak58
12-07-2009, 04:36 PM
limus shouldve caught the ball at the end of the game...the ball hit his hands and youre taught that whenever the ball touches your hands you are supoose to catch it....really felt he could've and should've caught the hail mary.....

Relying on a desperation end of the game Hail Mary to win against Jokeland is something that really shouldn't even have to be discussed.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Yep

BlockMonsta
12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
You mean like Burnett dropping a hand gift wrapped interception that a kid in Pee Wee league could have caught and ended the game with Jokeland with a win? Yeah big play maker....

When did I say Burnett droped the ball? I think I said something more along the lines of "lack of big play" WILLIAM GAY.

43Hitman
12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
You guys do know what the term "Hail Mary" means right? In case you don't, it means to throw it up and pray that it gets caught in the endzone for a last second win. Next question, when is the last time a 'Hail Mary" was actually successful? To even suggest that somehow this loss is Sweed's fault because of a non Hail Mary catch is juvenile and only shows a complete lack of fundamental football knowledge. I guess I was one of only a select few that actually got to see our defense implode in the last 2 minutes again.

pepsyman1
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
You guys do know what the term "Hail Mary" means right? In case you don't, it means to throw it up and pray that it gets caught in the endzone for a last second win. Next question, when is the last time a 'Hail Mary" was actually successful? To even suggest that somehow this loss is Sweed's fault because of a non Hail Mary catch is juvenile and only shows a complete lack of fundamental football knowledge. I guess I was one of only a select few that actually got to see our defense implode in the last 2 minutes again.

I would never try to blame this horrid loss on Sweed....but considering that this is a thread about Sweed getting a chance to step up, I'm not expecting much....The "Hail Mary" play was just another example of opportunities that keep slipping through his hands. Not his fault that we lost, be he had a legitimate shot at being the days hero on that play. He jumped up higher and had an unmolested shot at the ball and it went right through his hands. There are some receivers that have an innate focus on the ball and they seem to be able to grab anything they can get their hands on (Swann anyone?) Sweed just doesn't seem to have it.

xbroughneck
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Was someone saying his drop cost the game? That would be crazy.

But he did drop the pass that hit him in both his hands. It didn't cost the game, but it sure as hell would have won it.:coffee: It would have been an excellent chance for him to get out of the dog house.

People would have been talking about the miraculous Sweed catch for the rest of the year. Oh well. As you said, it shouldn't have come down to his missed opportunity.

43Hitman
12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Was someone saying his drop cost the game? That would be crazy.

But he did drop the pass that hit him in both his hands. It didn't cost the game, but it sure as hell would have won it.:coffee: It would have been an excellent chance for him to get out of the dog house.

People would have been talking about the miraculous Sweed catch for the rest of the year. Oh well. As you said, it shouldn't have come down to his missed opportunity.

I agree with that, he would have been the hero for sure. Those things are rarely caught though.

T&B fan
12-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Is Ward's streak over if he doesn't play, or can you miss a game and pick up where you left off?

I'm sure it picks up .he has missed games in the past ...

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I know I will be wearing my Sweed jersey this Thursday. I really feel for him.

Merchant
12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
I think they just need to give him ONE easy high-percentage catch to start with. Like a hitch or a 5 yard hook. Let him get some confidence. Then we'll see what the kid can do.

devilsdancefloor
12-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I know I will be wearing my Sweed jersey this Thursday. I really feel for him.

:iagree:

i think he needs to just play and get his feet (what big feet he has) under him. Alot of times i wonder if he is worried about those boats geting in in the back of the ez and the sidelines. HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!! Cmon sweeddddddddd!!

Angus Burgher
12-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, there's no way you can blame Sweed for the Oakland loss. Well, you can, but that would be really foolish. Still, I wonder why he was even on the field. Was that the only time they put him into that game? I didn't remember seeing him at any other point.

ricardisimo
12-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah, there's no way you can blame Sweed for the Oakland loss. Well, you can, but that would be really foolish. Still, I wonder why he was even on the field. Was that the only time they put him into that game? I didn't remember seeing him at any other point.

Huh? It was a Hail Mary... those tend to involve all of your wideouts.

pepsyman1
12-08-2009, 01:30 AM

He's usually in on special terms for kick coverage, I've never seen him anywhere close to a tackle. I was at Sunday's game and saw him on the field a number of times.

Galax Steeler
12-08-2009, 04:09 AM
I just wonder how many looks he will get from Ben I would say that Holmes, Wallace and Miller will get the majority of balls. Sweed might get a couple or three thrown his way.

revefsreleets
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
They actually MADE Sweed jerseys?

Merchant
12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
LOL.. I lost a little more hope for Sweed when I read this by Andy Benoit...

"Those of you who heard the CBS on-field microphones pick up Ben Roethlisberger’s voice just before the Steelers’ last-second heave learned everything you need to know about disappointing wide receiver Limas Sweed. Breaking the huddle, Sweed mistakenly ran to line up on the left. Roethlisberger could be heard shouting, “Oh, come on man, not right now!” as he pointed for Sweed to go to the right."

Angus Burgher
12-08-2009, 01:11 PM
LOL.. I lost a little more hope for Sweed when I read this by Andy Benoit...

"Those of you who heard the CBS on-field microphones pick up Ben Roethlisberger’s voice just before the Steelers’ last-second heave learned everything you need to know about disappointing wide receiver Limas Sweed. Breaking the huddle, Sweed mistakenly ran to line up on the left. Roethlisberger could be heard shouting, “Oh, come on man, not right now!” as he pointed for Sweed to go to the right."

:doh:

43Hitman
12-08-2009, 02:27 PM
They actually MADE Sweed jerseys?

Well since they make Ginn jersey's, it's only fair.:coffee:

steel striker
12-08-2009, 04:54 PM
I hope stonehands can make some plays for us becaue, we need someone to step up.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Time for Rush Hard Menden Haul to get some looks let's RUN the ball like there is no tomorrow.