PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who saw #85?

xbroughneck
12-07-2009, 06:32 PM
David Johnson may end up being the best blocking FB/TE we have on the roster. Most of the best runs against the Raiders came from the traditional I/ offset I formation that had Johnson blocking for Mendy.

David actually looked like he knew what a fullback was suppose to do.

IMHO that 7th round pick gets props for a game well played.

When the Steelers ran from the single back set the Raiders nailed Mendy often.

Not so much when DJ was blocking.

Spaeth who?

:thumbsup:

pepsyman1
12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
I agree...I was at the game and was not only surprised when I saw us set up with a fullback, but he looked much more effective than Carrey Davis or Spaeth.

Speaking of Davis, did anyone notice the incredibly lame kickoff return he made after the one short kickoff the Raiders had. He looked so lost and confused with a ball in his hands it made me shudder. The stats gave him credit for 13 yards, I didn't actually think he had cracked 10...lol

xbroughneck
12-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Speaking of Davis, did anyone notice the incredibly lame kickoff return he made after the one short kickoff the Raiders had. He looked so lost and confused with a ball in his hands it made me shudder. The stats gave him credit for 13 yards, I didn't actually think he had cracked 10...lol

Maybe I'm thinking about another play, but didn't he fall over another Steeler on that kickoff?

supa_fly_steeler
12-07-2009, 06:45 PM
i like the dude, keep him on the roster plz Steeler FO

43Hitman
12-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Maybe I'm thinking about another play, but didn't he fall over another Steeler on that kickoff?

Yep, he sure did. I sure wish I knew why Tomlin likes this guy so much.

pepsyman1
12-07-2009, 07:09 PM

YES!!!! LOL How sad was that?....it looked like he had NO IDEA where to go and ran straight at some of his team mates instead of looking for an opening to move forward.

BlockMonsta
12-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Ever consider the fact that he is not a KR?

xbroughneck
12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Ever consider the fact that he is not a KR?

yes, but he's also a running back. You would think he would know how to run with the rock in any situation. Yeah, he's a fullback, but was he a fullback in college? He looked lost.

Anyway, off topic. I think Johnson has the potential to be our best Fullback. That's all I want to discuss.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Johnson fits the mould best for Arians type of offense. A TE/Hback that can block or catch the football. He's been impressing since training camp.

Steeldude
12-08-2009, 01:54 AM
i was hoping summers would fill that role.

next year's RB lineup will probably be mendenhall, moore, johnson, summers, davis.

solardave
12-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Yep, he sure did. I sure wish I knew why Tomlin likes this guy so much.

He must have a sparkling personality. I've been thinking the same thing.And for the record,Spaeth can't block at all. I think he's gone after the season.

Galax Steeler
12-08-2009, 04:40 AM

next year's RB lineup will probably be mendenhall, moore, johnson, summers, davis.

I like it but would like to replace Davis with someone else.

GoSlash27
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
David actually looked like he knew what a fullback was suppose to do.
I must admit I never even noticed. I'll have to look for him in the future.

Steelers>NFL
12-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Don't count out Justin Vincent. He seems like he could be on the team next season.
Depending if Fast Willie is here or gone.

SteelerFanInStl
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM
He must have a sparkling personality. I've been thinking the same thing.And for the record,Spaeth can't block at all. I think he's gone after the season.

Let's hope so. Spaeth is a waste of a roster spot.

steelwalls
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Had high hopes for Spaeth, but he's not do us any good at this point.

43Hitman
12-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Had high hopes for Spaeth, but he's not do us any good at this point.

Yeah, aside from his first year when he caught a few TD's, he hasn't done diddly pooh.

markymarc
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I have been very impressed with David Johnson. Great draft pick by the FO! Hopefully he can move up to the #2 TE spot next season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-08-2009, 11:21 PM
im lovin' me some Johnson. I wonder where this leaves Summers and McHugh (both on IR arent they?)

McHugh signed a 2 year contract and this is the final year of Spaeth's contract. I think Miller, McHugh and Johnson are the TE's next year.

As for Summers, he gets another chance to prove he can play FB and maybe take some carries as a RB in training camp. Mendenhall, Moore, Summers, Rookie draft pick and Logan are in at RB next season is my prediction.

Steelers>NFL
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
McHugh signed a 2 year contract and this is the final year of Spaeth's contract. I think Miller, McHugh and Johnson are the TE's next year.

As for Summers, he gets another chance to prove he can play FB and maybe take some carries as a RB in training camp. Mendenhall, Moore, Summers, Rookie draft pick and Logan are in at RB next season is my prediction.
Justin Vincent! No need to waste draft pick on another RB.

WH
12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Johnson fits the mould best for Arians type of offense. A TE/Hback that can block or catch the football. He's been impressing since training camp.
You should call Bruce and tell him that....

Fullback a dirty word
Arians claims there is no fullback in his offense and never will be. The coordinator could be a little sensitive to the criticism often aimed his way for not using a fullback the way they did under previous coordinators, especially when they had Dan Kreider.

"There's not a fullback on the roster," Arians said. "There's a running back who plays fullback, a tight end who plays fullback. I don't have a fullback. There's no fullback in my offense, there's never going to be one."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09251/996270-66.stm

Having a fullback, that has proven in more than just one game, is something Bruce doesn't like. He prefers Matt Spaeth, 6'7 230 lbs of wastes space.

Psyychoward86
12-09-2009, 04:01 PM

i'd like that, as long as Summers pans out

markymarc
12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I think Miller, McHugh and Johnson are the TE's next year.

As for Summers, he gets another chance to prove he can play FB and maybe take some carries as a RB in training camp.

I would love to see Miller, Johnson and McHugh as our TEs. Also, I still believe in Summers. It can't be easy trying to learn the FB spot when all you played is RB in college. I also think Summers should be given a shot to line up as RB a few times.