PDA

View Full Version : Ah.. look whose come crawling back :)

Merchant
12-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Yes my friends. That was the ratbirds getting smoked by the packers. If we win thursday, we will have the same record as the Jags for the last wildcard spot. I'm not saying that we're gonna get it. I'm just saying that IT AIN'T OVER TILL IT'S OVER.

Welcome back those of you who thought the season was over.. Welcome Back

SteelerEmpire
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Its a fight til the end....

mwittman5
12-08-2009, 12:18 AM
we'd be 7-6, jags are 7-5. If the Jags lose and we win we have the same record. But ya i agree the season is still alive. If we beat the ravens and dolphins then they are done and we just need the jets to lose once (they play indy and cincy) , and either denver or the jags to lose twice. Denver plays indy and philly, jags still play miami, indy, new england

Merchant
12-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I meant same number of wins, my bad. And with the jags still playing Indy, and @ New England, not to mention a miami team that just beat new england, there's hope that they might even finish 8-8 or 9-7

mwittman5
12-08-2009, 12:25 AM
I meant same number of wins, my bad. And with the jags still playing Indy, and @ New England, not to mention a miami team that just beat new england, there's hope that they might even finish 8-8 or 9-7

agreed, and steelers own the tie breaker with denver and denver still plays @ indy and @ philly and maybe they'll lose to the raiders too :applaudit: . Steelers just need to win out and they should get in, easier said than done i know but if troy comes back after this week its on :tt03:

CanadianSteel
12-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I will take a win to start, one at a time to get our confidence back. I cant belive I am actually a little nervous about the upcoming browns game.... gulp ... cant say that too often.

ricardisimo
12-08-2009, 01:48 AM
I'm not a superstitious fellow, but I'm hoping nobody here jinxes the Browns game by calling it a gimme... but who are we kidding? It's a gimme. Nothing cures what ails you quite like the Browns.

On the flip side, nothing would answer questions regarding the character of this team and its needs quite like a loss to the Browns. One way or the other things would be clarified.

ricardisimo
12-08-2009, 03:08 AM
As bad as it looks right now (and it looks bad), here's the exceedingly thin silver lining...

There are five teams in front of us right now: Denver, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Miami, and the Jets. Let's break it down, with the starting premise here being that the Steelers need to win out, finishing at 10-6.

Denver (8-4) looks like it is headed for 10-6, what with Indy and NE on it's remaining schedule; we hold the first tiebreak against them (head-to-head).
Jacksonville (7-5) looks a lot weaker than their record, and will finish 9-7 at best, with games against Miami, NE and Indy coming up.
Baltimore (6-6) and Miami (6-6) are both on our schedule, with the same record, so if we win out...
Which leaves the Jets, an odd team, to say the least. Their defense is playing great, and I personally think they could have added by subtraction if Sanchez had been knocked out longer (way too many INTs and rookie mistakes), but with or without him I don't see them beating Indy, and probably not Atlanta nor Cincy, which probably puts them somewhere around 8-8, realistically.

So there you have it. Waaaayyy too many ifs to be betting the farm, but certainly further proof that it ain't over 'til it's over... or at least not until we lose to the Brownies.

wootawnee
12-08-2009, 03:59 AM
As bad as it looks right now (and it looks bad), here's the exceedingly thin silver lining...

There are five teams in front of us right now: Denver, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Miami, and the Jets. Let's break it down, with the starting premise here being that the Steelers need to win out, finishing at 10-6.

Denver (8-4) looks like it is headed for 10-6, what with Indy and NE on it's remaining schedule; we hold the first tiebreak against them (head-to-head).
Jacksonville (7-5) looks a lot weaker than their record, and will finish 9-7 at best, with games against Miami, NE and Indy coming up.
Baltimore (6-6) and Miami (6-6) are both on our schedule, with the same record, so if we win out...
Which leaves the Jets, an odd team, to say the least. Their defense is playing great, and I personally think they could have added by subtraction if Sanchez had been knocked out longer (way too many INTs and rookie mistakes), but with or without him I don't see them beating Indy, and probably not Atlanta nor Cincy, which probably puts them somewhere around 8-8, realistically.

So there you have it. Waaaayyy too many ifs to be betting the farm, but certainly further proof that it ain't over 'til it's over... or at least not until we lose to the Brownies.

Dude it does not matter if we cannot play like a championship team..........We will just be playoff fodder.........Guys gotta step up and take it to the next level........
We look about as good as a heel team right now.......4 in a row unbeleivable......

Galax Steeler
12-08-2009, 04:50 AM
I am not giving up but we have to start playing some Steeler football. If we can do that then lets see where that will take us.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Dude it does not matter if we cannot play like a championship team..........We will just be playoff fodder.........Guys gotta step up and take it to the next level........
We look about as good as a heel team right now.......4 in a row unbeleivable......

I can guarentee you..the Bengals do NOT want to see us in the playoffs.

plenewken
12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
not to mention a miami team that just beat new england, there's hope that they might even finish 8-8 or 9-7

We're playing Miami too, and in Miami. So if you see the Jags losing to them, how could you see us winning there, from what we've shown lately? To me, it's wishful thinking, nothing else. As much as I'd love the Steelers to make the playoffs, realistically, the probability isn't high.

Texasteel
12-08-2009, 08:04 AM
We get pissed if we feel the team is giving up. We fans shouldn't give up either.

One game at a time guys.

Steelers Since '75
12-08-2009, 08:06 AM
We're playing Miami too, and in Miami. So if you see the Jags losing to them, how could you see us winning there, from what we've shown lately? To me, it's wishful thinking, nothing else. As much as I'd love the Steelers to make the playoffs, realistically, the probability isn't high.

Because we haven't been beaten by another team... we have beaten ourselves in every game, except maybe the second Bengals matchup! No one wants to see the Steelers make the playoffs... the Steelers D puts a hurt on other teams even if the secondary is very weak. Also, let's not forget who we are talking about... the Steelers are nasty come playoff time...

Crow-Magnon
12-08-2009, 08:21 AM

True, for your team and mine. Ravens get smoked by the Packers and the Steelers lose at home to the Raiders. Unless something DRASTIC happens in the locker room and on the field in the next four weeks, neither of our teams deserve to be in the playoffs, and if they do squeak in, it'll be one and done.

stlrtruck
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
Look at what the cardinals did last year. All they did was 'barely' made it in to the playoffs and once the post-season started, they were able to overcome a lot of obstacles and destroy teams that should have overwhelmed them.

As the old cliche goes. It doesn't matter how you make the playoffs, just that you do. Then it's a new season!

plenewken
12-08-2009, 09:04 AM
well there is about a 50/50 chance that one of them, the jags or broncos go 2-2. and if we handle our business we'd be in. it's not that bad of a probability but if we lose this thursday all this thinking is all for not and the season is officially over.

I think, after losing 4 in a row, us winning 4 in a row is a much lower probability than the Broncos and Jags going 2-2. I'm just saying.
At this point, I'll take 1 game at a time, and like you said, if we don't win in Cleveland Thursday, forget about the playoffs

Riddles of Steel
12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Yep...one game at a time.

We are still in control of our own destiny, but we'll need a little bit of help at this point.

Merchant
12-08-2009, 11:33 AM

If we get our sh1t together and play the way we did against Denver, with Troy back. Miami's gonna get steam rolled.

but that's a big IF

Dino 6 Rings
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Just beat the freaking Browns this week...nothing else really matters at all.

PalmerSteel
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
after a 4 game losing streak, its all wihsfull thinking, but thanks for breaking it down.
also, on the breakdown, just keep note of the "probable losses" against indy. in a week, they will probably have the conference wrapped up and they WILL sit key players, at least part of the remaining games.

Merchant
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM
after a 4 game losing streak, its all wihsfull thinking, but thanks for breaking it down.
also, on the breakdown, just keep note of the "probable losses" against indy. in a week, they will probably have the conference wrapped up and they WILL sit key players, at least part of the remaining games.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about too. Hopefully they play Manning for atleast the first half. Then hopefully Sorgi or whoever their 2nd qb is goes off LOL.

mwittman5
12-08-2009, 12:38 PM

They wont rest manning til the last game, they wont rest him before that because they get a playoff bye and 2 weeks off is enough time off. So only the jets may play them while manning rests but the jets also play atlanta and cincy. Cincy is fighting for the 2nd seed

Nadroj 20
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm not a superstitious fellow, but I'm hoping nobody here jinxes the Browns game by calling it a gimme... but who are we kidding? It's a gimme. Nothing cures what ails you quite like the Browns.

On the flip side, nothing would answer questions regarding the character of this team and its needs quite like a loss to the Browns. One way or the other things would be clarified.

Raiders and Cheifs were "gimmes" as well......i think we'll win but we have to play well and as of right now no game is a gimme for them.

Dino 6 Rings
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM
crawling back...

right now we are nothing but a wounded footsoldiers on the fields of battle. We are bleeding from our guts, wounded and torn with limbs broken and shattered. No one has come along yet to put the blade between our shoulders to put us out of our misery...so now...maybe...maybe we can rise from the ashes, grab our gear and weapons and struggle on to the front hacking and slashing as we go to face insurmountable odds against unseen foes that even if we destroy and beat, the victory will not be ours unless others, who we have no control over win specific battles across the nation against our other enemies that stand between us and glory for the ages...

So yeah...there is a sliver of hope.

stb_steeler
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM

Thats exactly what Indy is going to do, so hopefully Jax still wont win that one.

Bluedust
12-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Because we haven't been beaten by another team... we have beaten ourselves in every game, except maybe the second Bengals matchup! No one wants to see the Steelers make the playoffs... the Steelers D puts a hurt on other teams even if the secondary is very weak. Also, let's not forget who we are talking about... the Steelers are nasty come playoff time...

They were nasty in 2005, I'm assuming the 2007 first round loss to the Jags just slipped your mind. :noidea:

In any case, I don't remember anyone at all saying there's 0% chance to still make it in. We're just being realistic.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't see Indy sitting peyton with a perfect season on the line.

Remember also that Hines is out this week so we will see more of either Rush Hard runs...or Limas Sweed. If we see the first then we will have a great shot, but more of the 2nd and well we can always hope.

We also lost to the chefs and raiders in less than a month, given up 4 special teams returns, and our offensive coordinator is out thinking himself. OYI!!!

AllD
12-08-2009, 03:25 PM
We have Hail Mary Sweed starting, so what are our chances??? Who knows what coaching is going to spit out. Sure we still have a chance to make the playoffs, but even if we did do you think the team would put anything productive on the field the way they have been trending?

I have a better chance of being struck by lightning while scratching off a $1million lottery ticket than this team doing anything in the post-season of merit.

Tomlin would have to do what needs to be done and what has not been done all season. If he does anything he is going to do it in increments instead of something radical due to time constraints. There, I just unleashed my "hell".

43Hitman
12-08-2009, 03:31 PM
We get pissed if we feel the team is giving up. We fans shouldn't give up either.

One game at a time guys.

Very well said my friend! Very well said. :drink:

Ravnet
12-08-2009, 04:34 PM
If Pittsburgh can beat Green Bay, then wild card race comes down to Ravens/Steelers in Pittsburgh, which will mean nothing as neither team is good enough to win the Super Bowl, so any efforts right now are pretty much futile unless the two squads drastically improve in the next few games.

I mean I could definitely see either the Ravens or Steelers winning a game in the playoffs, but winning three on the road and then the Super Bowl? Neither team is good enough.

markymarc
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Keep the faith until we are eliminated :tt02: Anything can happen, but it better start on a good note by destroying the Brownies on Thursday night!

BozMan
12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I can guarentee you..the Bengals do NOT want to see us in the playoffs.

Before this weekend's disaster, there were Pats* fans nervous about seeing us in the playoffs (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/091204) as well:

Steelers (6-5): Favorable schedule (Oakland, at Cleveland, Green Bay, Baltimore, at Miami) coupled with a tough defense, a good coach, a solid running game and a proven quarterback. They have all the makings of "The Team That Might Peak At The Perfect Time." As a Pats fan, I do not want to see these guys coming to Foxborough in January as a 5-seed.

(Was that enough of a reverse jinx for you? Should I keep going? Screw it.)

Anyway, all of this talk gets so frustrating. If we had won just ONE of the many winnable games we have blown, we wouldn't be in such a desperate spot.

I'd rather be one and done than sit out the playoffs.