PDA

View Full Version : Sweed ready if called upon

Galax Steeler
12-09-2009, 03:54 AM
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Wide receiver Limas Sweed could see extended playing time against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night as Hines Ward is hobbled with a hamstring injury.

Sweed has only one reception for five yards this season, and was inactive for four games. But if the playing time does come on Thursday, he is ready to step up.

I am just ready, I am ready to step in and play, said Sweed. I have been sitting back patiently waiting for the opportunity however it might come. It looks like the opportunity has come and the door is open a little bit. Once I get my chance I will step in and play.
Sweed has had his struggles during the first two seasons of his career with holding on to the ball, but knows the he is capable of getting the job done.

Its an opportunity to step in and play, said Sweed. I know what I can bring to this team. Going out there and making plays, making blocks and helping these guys. I look it as an opportunity for me to go out there and play football to the best of my abilities.

After losing four games its understandable that some players are down, but the feeling in the Steelers locker room is that they arent out of it.

I think we have enough veteran leadership here we can overcome and fight through things like this, said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. We have overcome a lot of things this year, more than just losses, and I think we will be okay.

We have to keep playing football and doing what we do. You see a lot of guys are bummed and down today, but that isnt going to change things and give us a win over the Raiders. Thats behind us. We can be mad and upset, but we have to move forward and thats the Cleveland Browns this week.

Roethlisberger said that mental toughness is a key right now as many players are going through a stretch that they never had to deal with.

Its tough. We havent gone through this, said Roethlisberger. Most of the guys in here havent had this situation before. Its tough and frustrating, but we cant sit around here pouting because its not going to change the outcome of the game we played. We have to move on and look forward to this week.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Its a long tunnel and a small light, but its still flickering down there.

Kickoff for the Steelers game against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, December 20 has been changed to a 4:15 start.

The change was made as part of the NFL Flex Scheduling.

http://news.steelers.com/article/115576/

Jaquila
12-09-2009, 04:41 AM
as far as i remember, he's had a lot of opportunities in the end zone before and he dropped them all so far:banging:

I really hope that thursday wont be like that for him:tt03:

SteelStang
12-09-2009, 06:47 AM
I had high hopes for this kid after his struggles last year, but he just doesn't have it. I watched him quite a bit at camp and he struggled there too. I really hope he can come up with a big play because it would energize the team.

The_WARDen
12-09-2009, 07:01 AM
:rofl::rofl:

That's precious!

Texasteel
12-09-2009, 07:13 AM
I truly hope the kid does well for a variety of reasons. I still think he is a talented WR, but you have to put that talent to work on the field. If he does not do well Thursday, we may not see him again.

Steelers>NFL
12-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I am eating my breakfast, and read the headline. And choked on my food laughing. WTF!
I believe when I see it. But good luck kid!

steelballs
12-09-2009, 07:26 AM
....ready for what??

I was hoping like hell that Limas would be able to make the transition to start as the third WR this year, but he's shown over and over again that he simply can't get the job done.
I would absolutely love to eat my words here, but I don't think that will happen. Sweed WILL get open (never a problem) but when the pressure's on....unfortunately he'll drop the ball.

Texasteel
12-09-2009, 07:31 AM
I am eating my breakfast, and read the headline. And choked on my food laughing. WTF!
I believe when I see it. But good luck kid!

The Surgeon General has concluded that eating while reading this forum can be hazardous to your health.

stlrtruck
12-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Maybe this will be his career changing game and his past will be forgotten.

Either that or he will solidify his position on the team (backup - way backup)

Psyychoward86
12-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Do Sweed and Wallace both play slot? Im assuming wallace gets the start, but being the 3rd receiver will give plenty of opportunities to Sweed.

I got high hopes. 3rd times a charm! :tt:

Gnutella
12-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I remember a bunch of us complaining about Plaxico Burress during his first two seasons for dropping too many passes and not being focused, but he turned out to be a quality WR, off-the-field stupidity notwithstanding. This is only Sweed's second season, and a lot of WRs need at least three before they break out. Besides, did anybody 10 years ago think that Hines Ward would be a borderline Hall-of-Famer?

AllD
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Sweed can't handle the pressure. He needs some major event to cause instant maturity or he is done like fried chicken on the Steelers.

MACH1
12-09-2009, 11:44 AM
One word.........Stickem.

roopdawg
12-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Here's hoping that Lame-arse Sweed has a breakout game!!

TX Steelerfan
12-09-2009, 12:00 PM
If the team concludes that Sweed isn't going to pan out, do we address the WR position in next year's draft? We could certainly use our draft picks for more pressing needs, i.e. secondary, ILB, OL, etc.

For that reason I really hope he sees this is truly his last chance and puts all the drops behind him, and turns the page. Otherwise, he's gone and we'll be looking to the draft for WR depth.

jev7452
12-09-2009, 01:31 PM
:horror: :puke:

kirklandrules
12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Speaking of drops, did anyone see Nate Washington drop a sure touchdown pass this past weekend? He got behind the CB and let the ball go right between his hands. How many times did we see that? Don't knock Sweed because the way I see it, he can drop passes a lot cheaper than Washington. But, in all seriousness, Washington is still dropping passes while considered a veteran and Sweed's potential just might pay off if he can turn it around.

vasteeler
12-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I still have not given up on SWEEEEEED I think he is going to make a great receiver
once he gets his head on straight

Nadroj 20
12-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Speaking of drops, did anyone see Nate Washington drop a sure touchdown pass this past weekend? He got behind the CB and let the ball go right between his hands. How many times did we see that? Don't knock Sweed because the way I see it, he can drop passes a lot cheaper than Washington. But, in all seriousness, Washington is still dropping passes while considered a veteran and Sweed's potential just might pay off if he can turn it around.

Yes i saw this i was watching highlights and said that looks familiar :chuckle:

Psyychoward86
12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
does sweed play slot?

pepsyman1
12-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I remember a bunch of us complaining about Plaxico Burress during his first two seasons for dropping too many passes and not being focused, but he turned out to be a quality WR, off-the-field stupidity notwithstanding. This is only Sweed's second season, and a lot of WRs need at least three before they break out. Besides, did anybody 10 years ago think that Hines Ward would be a borderline Hall-of-Famer?

Um....yeah...lol Hines started 14 games and had over 60 catches, 7 TD's his 2nd year

I expect young wide receivers to struggle with learning the routes, learning the reads of the coverages and knowing how to adjust, I expect them to not put the ball away and fumble too much.....but if they can't CATCH, I don't expect them to suddenly acquire great hands.

Psyychoward86
12-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Um....yeah...lol Hines started 14 games and had over 60 catches, 7 TD's his 2nd year

difference is, Hines is a future HOF contender. We dont need Sweed to be that, but we need him to contribute

stillers4me
12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd take my chances with a gimpy Hines. He doesn't need to run with the ball, just catch it.

Angus Burgher
12-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Well, if he can't run, than the only things Hines will be catching are quick screen passes for 5 to 10 yards. Personally, I wouldn't mind more quick screens to get the job done and eat up time, but Ben's a big play guy, so you don't typically see a lot of that and you have to just let him be who he is, I guess.

As for Sweed... man, I hope to God he pulls a Miles Austin and suddenly becomes our golden boy. He seems to have all the right tools to be a successful WR... he's tall enough, he's fast enough, he can make devestating blocks, and he CAN make leaping catches (he made some great ones in the preseason). If he can just translate that to the real season, he could be great.

So Limas, if Ben throws you the ball tomorrow, I don't care if you need to do a David Tyree Helmet Catch... HANG ONTO THE DAMNED BALL! The team needs a win, and I paid for the NFL Network this season just so I wouldn't miss a Thursday night Steelers game! You owe me a win!!!!!

:tt03:

redst3
12-10-2009, 02:51 AM
Sweed's still around? :coffee:

markymarc
12-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Good to see the Sweed bashing is still in full force :coffee:

revefsreleets
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Good to see the Sweed bashing is still in full force :coffee:

Why? Because he's done so much to prove us all wrong? I mean, Christ, our #1 goes down and he STILL is only peripherally mentioned....he SHOULD be a solid #3 WR at this point (with Ward's injury) and he's still just relegated to a situational role.

The comical thing is that by this point in Zo Jackson's "career" with the Steelers he had actually DONE more and was universally dismissed as a bust.

Sweed has some kind of sacred cow status (that he did nothing to actually earn) the origin of which still eludes me....

MasterOfPuppets
12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Why? Because he's done so much to prove us all wrong? I mean, Christ, our #1 goes down and he STILL is only peripherally mentioned....he SHOULD be a solid #3 WR at this point (with Ward's injury) and he's still just relegated to a situational role.

The comical thing is that by this point in Zo Jackson's "career" with the Steelers he had actually DONE more and was universally dismissed as a bust.

Sweed has some kind of sacred cow status (that he did nothing to actually earn) the origin of which still eludes me....
so then your questioning the steelers coaches and FO decision to keep him on the roster ? aren't you the one always pointing out that they know more than the fans ? :scratchchin: