PDA

View Full Version : With Troy we are 12-0

MarsRover
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Wait what??! Here me out here.....

Our defense is not the problem.......specifically.

After last game I told myself, "the defense sh*t the bed." But in reality, that's not the case. You have to be more specific.

Is our linebacking core the problem? Nope. The D-Line? Hardly. We are generating sacks and our rush defense is #1 in the NFL. Yes a 6-6 team at #1.

So that of course leaves the secondary. Pass defense we are #17 in the NFL. Last year we were....wait for it.... #1.

Here's an interesting stat...we haven't lost a game by more than 6 points all season. I guess what I'm truly starting to believe is that sans-Troy we are an average ballclub....and with him we are an elite team. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with Troy playing a full game we are 4-0 and without we are 2-6.

Look at the games troy didn't play the entire game that we lost.
17-14 L
23-20 L
27-24 OT L
20-17 OT L
27-24 L

Yes we lost by 3 points every single time. That's just 15 pts in 5 games. So sick. Being that TP is a game-changer...and make no mistake he is....we could easily be 12-0. Hell 11-1, 10-2, 9-3.....anything but 6-6.

Hopefully we have resolved our special teams problems.
Hopefully we get through the Browns tomorrow night (can't believe I just said that)
Hopefully we get Troy back for Green Bay

If these things happen....we can realistically go 10-6 and have a chance for that wild card....and we will have Troy....and we will have momentum with the 4 game winning streak going into the playoffs where what happened in the season doesn't matter anymore....then we can win that 7th Lombardi. :)

I think this is that recipe for hell that Tomlin spoke of.

Have a little faith Steeler Nation....or a lot! :tt03:

Riddles of Steel
12-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry, Troy isn't the miracle answer to all our problems. Don't forget we have had a couple of missed field goals. The offense could have put up more points. The offense shouldn't have turned it over a few times. The defense could have had some easy picks. The special teams could have stopped somebody on kickoffs and punts...

There are WAY too many facets of what has gone wrong this season. You can't single this down to one player being the difference in all these games.

Troy is a beast...no doubt about it. He adds a dimension to this team that no other team in the NFL has. We've definitely missed him and his playmaking abilities this season.

But you just can't blame the losses on Troy not being in the lineup.

Steelers>NFL
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
The Kansas City game was definately not lost because Troy was not in the game.
It was the offense not able to get in the endzone and put the game away.
This has been another problem all season long.

KeiselPower99
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
With Troy I think we would be 10-2 right now. Offense sputters once it hits the redzone and the early season ST problems didnt help.At this point its all couldve wouldve shouldves. Like I said in another thread talk is cheap.

pepsyman1
12-09-2009, 02:21 PM
The defense has had it struggles all year including going back to the Superbowl win. This was a team known for not giving up 4th quarter leads for many years and that hasn't been the case for quite awhile. Troy being out just makes it worse. For whatever reason, Dick LeBeau hasn't been as aggressive late in games and without Troy we get even more passive (we've been stuck playing basically a prevent defense in the 4th qtr most of the year) Troy being in the lineup helps a huge amount, but that isn't the whole answer.

MarsRover
12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Sorry, Troy isn't the miracle answer to all our problems. Don't forget we have had a couple of missed field goals. The offense could have put up more points. The offense shouldn't have turned it over a few times. The defense could have had some easy picks. The special teams could have stopped somebody on kickoffs and punts...

There are WAY too many facets of what has gone wrong this season. You can't single this down to one player being the difference in all these games.

Troy is a beast...no doubt about it. He adds a dimension to this team that no other team in the NFL has. We've definitely missed him and his playmaking abilities this season.

But you just can't blame the losses on Troy not being in the lineup.

No he doesn't solve all of our problems...but with him in the game we have that dominant defense. We would potentially be able to overcome a sputtering red-zone offense, or poor special teams plays. Countless times the defense has all but carried this team. That hasn't been the case this season. The point is we are losing by 3 points every game. Every game is so close...with just a tiny edge, we can win those games. Troy gives that tiny edge and then some.

MarsRover
12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
The defense has had it struggles all year including going back to the Superbowl win. This was a team known for not giving up 4th quarter leads for many years and that hasn't been the case for quite awhile. Troy being out just makes it worse. For whatever reason, Dick LeBeau hasn't been as aggressive late in games and without Troy we get even more passive (we've been stuck playing basically a prevent defense in the 4th qtr most of the year) Troy being in the lineup helps a huge amount, but that isn't the whole answer.

I will never understand the use of prevent defense. I guess that's why I'm not a coach. All I have ever seen of the prevent is agony. Prevent....yeah, prevents you from winning.

vasteeler
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
No he doesn't solve all of our problems...but with him in the game we have that dominant defense. We would potentially be able to overcome a sputtering red-zone offense, or poor special teams plays. Countless times the defense has all but carried this team. That hasn't been the case this season. The point is we are losing by 3 points every game. Every game is so close...with just a tiny edge, we can win those games. Troy gives that tiny edge and then some.

Great point:thumbsup:

The_WARDen
12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
except aren't they 4-1 in games that he's played?

Steelers>NFL
12-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Quit letting the games be close and start blowing the other teams the he!! out of the water.
Steeler football is always about keeping it close. Let them "hang around". Play down to competition.
Play up to competition.
Time to get an attitude and put some mercy on others.

CargoJon
12-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Our CB's suck. Troy makes up for it because he is so damn good. End of story. There were guys playing CB in that Raiders game that I had to look up because I didn't know who in the hell they were. And I'm a somewhat fanatic fan.

smokin3000gt
12-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Don't forget about Aaron Smith. It all goes hand in hand. There have been many times we were chasing the QB around only to have him escape by a mere .0532 seconds. Some of the sacks in those situations would have been game changers. Same thing could be said if one or two of the blatant holds on harrison were called. It's not ALL troy although nobody can deny his impact on the field.

Anytime you have a caliber player like Troy out it's felt but I'd like to think our entire franchise isn't built around any single player.

smokin3000gt
12-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I will never understand the use of prevent defense. I guess that's why I'm not a coach. All I have ever seen of the prevent is agony. Prevent....yeah, prevents you from winning.

The prevent defense brings me great pain also..

SteelC7
12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
well troy prob wont be back this season so instead of 10-6 WITH him, wat do u think well do WITHOUT him?

LVSteelersfan
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Don't forget about Aaron Smith. It all goes hand in hand. There have been many times we were chasing the QB around only to have him escape by a mere .0532 seconds. Some of the sacks in those situations would have been game changers. Same thing could be said if one or two of the blatant holds on harrison were called. It's not ALL troy although nobody can deny his impact on the field.

Anytime you have a caliber player like Troy out it's felt but I'd like to think our entire franchise isn't built around any single player.

I realize that Harrison gets held all the time. But GET ANOTHER MOVE JAMES. It is the same old thing over and over and over. The other teams watch film. They know how to play him. Fake that move to the outside and do a Freeney spin or something. That will keep them honest plus the refs will have to call the holding that would be caused by it. It drives me crazy watching Harrison get shoved past the QB over and over and over. WRs do double moves. Why can't LBs? :chuckle:

smokin3000gt
12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
well troy prob wont be back this season so instead of 10-6 WITH him, wat do u think well do WITHOUT him?

I don't know. You will have to ask Zollllttaaaarrrr like the rest of the fortune tellers on this site.

http://dvice.com/assets_c/2009/10/zoltarcostume-thumb-330x495-27476.jpg

If we lose Thurs. troy probably won't play for the rest of the season because we're done. But if we win and we're still in the playoff hunt, do you really think a healthy troy is going to sit on the sidelines with only his hoodie? I doubt it.

Steel-Bryan
12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
4-1, if you count the bengals game in which he only played 1 1/2 quarters

Christian Snyder
12-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I think had Troy played all year thus far we would be 11-1. :tt04:

Every game is so close...with just a tiny edge, we can win those games. Troy gives that tiny edge and then some. You stole the words right out of my mouth.:wink02:

St33lersguy
12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
He does have a point. The defense is clearly not the same without Troy and the defense has played better (paticularly the 4th quarter) with him in. We certainly don't let Bruce Gradkowski get 21 points in the 4th quarter with Troy in. Troy is also apparently the only DB who can catch an interception, and some of those DBs have been making some crucial drops of INTs. 10-2 or 11-1, only because with NFL parody I doubt three teams don't somehow lose a fluky game for 12 games

tmacsteelerfan
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
With Troy we are much better than 6-6 for sure.

GBMelBlount
12-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I just don't see the fire I saw last year.

Last year we won four games with 4th quarter clutch comebacks. This year we have lost 5 games we were winning in the 4th quarter.

The problem isn't just Troy, we are winning into the 4th quarter without him.

We have the personnel to win.

The problem is they don't want it bad enough.

CargoJon
12-10-2009, 08:30 AM
I just don't see the fire I saw last year.

Last year we won four games with 4th quarter clutch comebacks. This year we have lost 5 games we were winning in the 4th quarter.

The problem isn't just Troy, we are winning into the 4th quarter without him.

We have the personnel to win.

The problem is they don't want it bad enough.
The problem is we don't finish.

Think of the AFCCG last year. We were up by a couple of points and the Ravens had the ball in the 4th Qtr. What happened? pick-6 Troy. What if that game had been week 11 this year and Troy's not playing? Baltimore makes that drive, scores, and we lose. That's what's been happening this year.