View Full Version : Players standing up for coordinator LeBeau

mesaSteeler
12-10-2009, 06:31 AM
Players standing up for coordinator LeBeau
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_657040.html#
By Mark Kaboly
Daily News Sports Editor
Thursday, December 10, 2009

If you are one of the many who have come to the conclusion that 72-year-old defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is the root of all the problems experienced by the once-dominant Steelers defense, veteran team captain James Farrior has a message for you.

"Those are people who really don't know football, don't really know our defense ...," he said.

LeBeau has come under scrutiny lately after his once impenetrable defense has blown five fourth-quarter leads that led to losses.

That criticism was ratcheted up this past week after his defense permitted an Oakland offense that had scored 10 touchdowns all season, to put up three in a matter of eight minutes last week, including the game-winner in the final seconds.

"Last year, they were praising him as the best defensive coordinator ever," defensive tackle Chris Hoke said. "Now, we are not making the plays at the end of the game, and all of a sudden, coach LeBeau is losing a step. That is totally ridiculous. Coach LeBeau still is very much with it."

Safety Troy Polamalu could be a big reason why LeBeau has come under scrutiny.

The Steelers are 4-1 in games the All-Pro has started. Polamalu hasn't been on the field for any of the late-game collapses.

Polamalu labels the blame being place on LeBeau, the oldest coach in the NFL, as fans just being fickle.

"I always think about Presidents and policies," Polamalu said. "I always think there must be a lot more that he knows about the situation than I know. That is definitely the case here."

LeBeau has enjoyed unparalleled success with the Steelers.

In his seven years spread over two stints as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, his unit has finished in the top five in total defense six times, including the top spot three times.

And he has basically done it with the same core group of people.

Half of the 25 defensive players currently on the roster never have played under a different defensive coordinator than LeBeau. Only eight have played for a different coordinator while with the Steelers.

That has made some, if not all, loyal to LeBeau.

Some of his players wore a replica of LeBeau's No. 44 Detroit Lions jersey before a New Year's Day game in 2006 and again before the Hall of Fame Game two years ago in Canton, Ohio.

"He is one of a kind," safety Tyrone Carter said. "He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league. I don't think anybody can second guess what he has done. As players, we still believe in him. It is up to us to execute."

The players feel it is as simple as making plays and executing what LeBeau calls to turn things around.

"We are the ones out there who have to make plays," cornerback Ike Taylor said. "Regardless of what they want to say about coach LeBeau, it still comes down to the players on the field making plays."

Despite the turmoil, the Steelers still are one of the top defenses in the league. They rank fifth in total defense, but that pales in comparison to the defense from a year ago, when they came within 4 rushing yards per game allowed of being No. 1 across the board.

There has been some changeover from that team.

Polamalu has missed seven games, Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Smith was lost for the year after Week 5 and cornerback Bryant McFadden signed with Arizona in the offseason.

Still, the team has total confidence in LeBeau.

"You don't do this as long as he has because you are not good at it," safety Ryan Clark said. "We need to play better. It's not his fault. It's not his fault at all."

Polamalu added: "I don't think anybody knows the game as much as coach LeBeau. I don't know if anybody knows the game three-quarters as much as coach LeBeau."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-10-2009, 07:02 AM
The bottom line is that the players have to make plays and they have to keep to their responsibilities - see special teams. They are all not Troy and need to do what they are supposed to do. When they aren't then the scheme has to changed to try to get pressure on the QB, etc., and then you potentially have problems, and that seems to be what is happening. A lot of the ST guys are flying down out of control and out of their lanes and that makes creases. Most of our pressure comes from the outside forcing the QB up, but the down guys aren't getting a ton of pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket. They are getting washed to one side or the other creating lanes. DB's are trying to do too much but having to cover longer, which you can't do. There aren't too many burners back there, and when they are in trail and a QB has time, it's pretty much over at that point. Stay aggressive, but play smart and they will be fine.

The_WARDen
12-10-2009, 07:24 AM
You know what would back up LeBeau? NOT playing with their heads up their arses!

gmfibes
12-10-2009, 07:46 AM
If our corners, who are highly paid "professional" athletes could only CATCH the ball, we would not have lost the KC and Oakland games....and would not be in a 4 game losing streak!

The_WARDen
12-10-2009, 08:03 AM
If our corners, who are highly paid "professional" athletes could only CATCH the ball, we would not have lost the KC and Oakland games....and would not be in a 4 game losing streak!

what does their pay have to do with anything?
:noidea:

KeiselPower99
12-10-2009, 08:28 AM
LeBeau isnt the problem. Its the lack of playmakers in the secondary for the majority of this season.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-10-2009, 08:43 AM
The offense is to blame not the Defense. How many 3 and outs per game do we see? How many of those are passing series over run series so the time on the clock doesn't run leaving the Defense more exposed?

There is plenty of blame to go around this year that is for sure but the offense has done very little these past 2 years to help the defense out. Go back to the game last year against Dallas when in the 1st 1/2 the Defense was giving the offense oppertunity after oppertunity and they couldn't take the game over until the final drive and then the Defense provided us the win. This year the Defense is worn down and it is high time the offense pick them up.

Who isn's scoring in the redzone this year? It aint the Defense it's the offense. Take a long hard look at it and I think you will see the Offense has not done enough to put games away early (other than the San Diego Game) and that has as much to do with our losses as anything. Fire B.A. and his questionable play calling!!!

The_WARDen
12-10-2009, 08:49 AM
The offense is to blame not the Defense. How many 3 and outs per game do we see? How many of those are passing series over run series so the time on the clock doesn't run leaving the Defense more exposed?

There is plenty of blame to go around this year that is for sure but the offense has done very little these past 2 years to help the defense out. Go back to the game last year against Dallas when in the 1st 1/2 the Defense was giving the offense oppertunity after oppertunity and they couldn't take the game over until the final drive and then the Defense provided us the win. This year the Defense is worn down and it is high time the offense pick them up.

Who isn's scoring in the redzone this year? It aint the Defense it's the offense. Take a long hard look at it and I think you will see the Offense has not done enough to put games away early (other than the San Diego Game) and that has as much to do with our losses as anything. Fire B.A. and his questionable play calling!!!

:yawn:

X-Terminator
12-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Yep, another one blaming the offense for the defense not doing their job when it counts.

Tedious.

Nadroj 20
12-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Yep, another one blaming the offense for the defense not doing their job when it counts.

Tedious.

I know it makes no sense i just do not understand that logic.

Fire Haley
12-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Hypocrites - yeah, blame everything on Arians for the offense, yet close your eyes when it's LeBeau's defense losing games.

See, LeBeau is untouchable - we'll just blame everything on Gay - it's easier to sleep at night that way.

Bottom line - Troy IS the defense, but even then our scheme was exposed by the Cardinals in the SB.
Pass deep over the middle when the pass rush is out of gas in hte 4th qtr - now everybody's doing it.

markymarc
12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Well if the defensive players would be doing their job, they wouldn't have to come out and stick up for LeBeau. The defense has been horrible the past 4 weeks. There are only a few options on the defensive problems and they are:

1. Dick LeBeau is not doing a good job of coaching right now
2. The players are not doing their job
3. Dick and the players are not doing their jobs

The Steelers defense deserves all of the criticism it has been receiving the past few weeks!

AllD
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
LeBeau isnt the problem. Its the lack of playmakers in the secondary for the majority of this season.

Exactly, LeBeau is the exception. In fact, if LeBeau put on a uniform he could probably cover better than what we got out there now. He has 65 career interceptions whereas anybody not named Polamalu or Fox have a big fat ZERO. Our CBs to interceptions are like Sweed is to touchdowns.

Angus Burgher
12-10-2009, 02:09 PM
And here's where I have to wonder about some fans.

If the offense screws up, BLAME ARIANS!!! FIRE HIM!!!

If special teams screws up, BLAME LEGASHESKY!!! FIRE HIM!!!

If the defense screws up, it's all the player's fault. Oh, and it's also part Arians fault, because if the offense was on the field longer, then the defense wouldn't have so many chances to blow it.

Don't get me wrong. LeBeau is a genius. The man is amazing and he is a better coach than those other two guys (Legashesky in particular, has no business coaching in the NFL). However, when your defense keeps making the same mistakes and is unable to play well with the absense of two players, everyone should be held accountable. The players are blowing it, and LeBeau, his defensive backs coaches and Tomlin, for whatever reason can't seem to put the pieces together to complete a game. If they continue to follow the same pattern and expect different results with the questionable talent they have on the defensive roster, I don't know how you can expect different results.

HAWK
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
I can't believe this. People are so full of ****.

Hopefully, LeBeau doesn't say eff it and retire.

Angus Burgher
12-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't want him to retire either. I just feel that everyone involved needs to be held accountable. The loss of one player shouldn't collapse your entire secondary. If it does, then you have problems you need to address, and that starts with the coaching staff.

I think LeBeau should stick around for as long as he wants to but I think Tomlin and him need to hire some better position coaches to give him a fresh perspective.

MasterOfPuppets
12-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Tedious. well if the offense had just scored 40 points in every game, they would be undefeated...:tap:

HAWK
12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Sure....and if we hadn't kicked FGs and instead scored TDs we wouldn't be having this conversation. However, the defense should ALWAYS stop the opponents from scoring too. So that kind of argument is a dance in futility.

Hayeksheroes
12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Special teams - 2 losses attributed to them.
Offense not showing up - 1 loss
Defense no showing up - 2 losses
Jeff Reed not showing up - 1 loss
Dick LeBeau not showing up - 0 Losses.

There you have it. Expert analysis boys and girls. I've distributed the losses all around. Looks like its a team thing.

HometownGal
12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
:yawn:

:yawn: and double :yawn:

It is up to us to execute."

There's that funny little word again. This time, coming from a member of the D unit under scrutiny. Gee - who would have thunk it? :noidea:

Dick Lebeau is, has been and always will be one of the greatest - if not THE greatest - DC's in the history of the NFL. On top of that, he's the true definition of a Pittsburgh Steeler and one helluva good man. :drink:

HometownGal
12-10-2009, 06:41 PM
And here's where I have to wonder about some fans.

If the offense screws up, BLAME ARIANS!!! FIRE HIM!!!

If special teams screws up, BLAME LEGASHESKY!!! FIRE HIM!!!

If the defense screws up, it's all the player's fault. Oh, and it's also part Arians fault, because if the offense was on the field longer, then the defense wouldn't have so many chances to blow it.

Don't get me wrong. LeBeau is a genius. The man is amazing and he is a better coach than those other two guys (Legashesky in particular, has no business coaching in the NFL). However, when your defense keeps making the same mistakes and is unable to play well with the absense of two players, everyone should be held accountable. The players are blowing it, and LeBeau, his defensive backs coaches and Tomlin, for whatever reason can't seem to put the pieces together to complete a game. If they continue to follow the same pattern and expect different results with the questionable talent they have on the defensive roster, I don't know how you can expect different results.

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit:

Excellent post, Angus and right on the money.

tony hipchest
12-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Bottom line - Troy IS the defense, but even then our scheme was exposed by the Cardinals in the SB.
Pass deep over the middle when the pass rush is out of gas in hte 4th qtr - now everybody's doing it.i think this is spot on. teams have no reason to even attempt a run in the 4th quarter. it negates our outstanding rush defense, and it completely tires out the entire unit.