PDA

View Full Version : Steelers CB Gay practices again, could play

mesaSteeler
12-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Steelers CB Gay practices again, could play
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_657042.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cornerback William Gay practiced Wednesday for the second consecutive day, and he could play tonight in Cleveland, even though the Steelers listed him as questionable on their injury report.

Even if Gay, who got knocked out of last Sunday's game with a concussion, suits up for the 8:20 p.m. game, he may not start.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said earlier this week that he may make changes to the lineup and that could translate into rookie cornerback Joe Burnett making his first career start.

Burnett played in place of Gay when the latter got hurt last Sunday, and he dropped an interception on the Raiders' final drive.

The missed opportunity loomed large in the Steelers' 27-24 loss, but Burnett and rookie Keenan Lewis have shown Tomlin enough that both could get significant playing time at cornerback against the Browns.

Burnett, a fifth-round draft pick out of Central Florida, watched a replay of his dropped interception the night of the Raiders' game, and he later talked about it with veteran free safety Ryan Clark.

"I beat myself up all night for that," Burnett said. "I hold myself to higher expectations, and as a professional, you've got to be accountable, you've got to make that play. It was a missed opportunity, but as a corner, you have to have a short memory and move on and make the next play."

Hines Ward practiced on a limited basis yesterday, and the Steelers' wide receiver may play tonight against the Cleveland Browns. Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee) has been ruled out. Ward is nursing a minor hamstring pull, and the Steelers listed him as questionable on their injury report. With Ward's availability in question, the Steelers promoted rookie wide receiver Tyler Grisham from the practice squad to their 53-man roster yesterday. The Steelers released quarterback Tyler Palko to make room on the roster for Grisham.

Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch practiced this week, and he likely will be in uniform tonight. Batch, who broke a bone in his left wrist Nov. 22, has been wearing a soft cast. He's listed as probable for the Browns' game, as is starting running back Rashard Mendenhall. Mendenhall was limited in practice Tuesday because of swelling in his ankle. The Steelers' leading rusher was a full participant in practice yesterday.

The Browns could be without several starters tonight, as they try to beat the Steelers in Cleveland for the first time since 2000. Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley (knee), cornerback Eric Wright (hamstring) guard Rex Hadnot (knee) and fullback Lawrence Vickers (hamstring) are listed as questionable. All four practiced on a limited basis yesterday. Wimbley leads the Browns in sacks with 6.5.

The Steelers are close to having a 3,000-yard passer, 1,000-yard rusher and two 1,000-yard receivers for the first time since 2001. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger already has more than 3,000 yards passing, while Santonio Holmes (987 receiving yards) and Ward (922) are close to the 1,000-yard receiving mark. Mendenhall has 887 rushing yards.

DIGITS

31 Browns' NFL rank (out of 32) in passing offense

143.5 Passing yards the Browns average per game.

QUOTABLE

"We knew coming into the season we were going to get everybody's best shot. We had to be prepared for it, and we know that we're going to get Cleveland's best game, and it would definitely make a brighter season over there if they could beat the Pittsburgh Steelers." Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Images and text copyright 2009 by The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.
Reproduction or reuse

Bluedust
12-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Oh god I hope not.

CargoJon
12-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Maybe he could slip in the hallway in the hotel?

FacemeIke
12-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Maybe he could slip in the hallway in the hotel?

Ha! he fell down so many times on Sunday, and was the only player I saw having trouble with footing. I say give Burnett a shot and let Gay take Deshea's spot as the nickle back.

Bluedust
12-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Ha! he fell down so many times on Sunday, and was the only player I saw having trouble with footing. I say give Burnett a shot and let Gay take Deshea's spot as the nickle back.

Yeah, shit you can't get much worse after the embarrassment Gradkowski laid on them, so far Gay hasn't been a solution to any of our problems, so bench him, it's the perfect time to do so.

supa_fly_steeler
12-10-2009, 09:04 AM
bench taylor as well, keenan can play that position, same physique but clearly can actually hold onto the ball.

as for the people posting hate comments, if anything happened to you and you posted here wanting prayers or whatever, i would be the first to laugh. Comments like that arn't socially acceptable, you just look like complete *censored*

Steel_12
12-10-2009, 09:49 AM
He is really having a tough time out there. It's time to make that switch...

vasteeler
12-10-2009, 10:06 AM
its amazing how much just having troy on the field can hide our flaws

markymarc
12-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Okay I am officially confused now. Why all this talk all week about changing personnel and here is William Gay practicing with the first string defense. This better now be more "talk" and then nothing happens on game day. Do the right thing and have Joe Burnett and Ryan Mundy start along with Keenan Lewis seeing major playing time tonight.

stb_steeler
12-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Its really amazing how many possible interceptions that were dropped this year. If all or most of those were caught, games would of been turned around tremendously.
Stone hands Taylor:dang:

Psyychoward86
12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
best thing about Burnett's drop is how wobbly that throw was :chuckle: