PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Draft

plark
01-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Who do you think the steelers will pick up in the next draft?

BlackNGold203
01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
LOL...let me get through the Super Bowl first...LOL

Brady12
01-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Just so you know, 7 + 86 x 43 = 3999. But I guess if we want, we can round up to 40, and that = Super Bowl 40.. How that worked out is crazy!

Anyways, where will the Steelers draft, 31 or 32? I can't think of anyone who will be there right now, maybe they will take... Antonio Cromartie? If he's around. I really have no idea..

plark
01-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Just so you know, 7 + 86 x 43 = 3999. But I guess if we want, we can round up to 40, and that = Super Bowl 40.. How that worked out is crazy!

Anyways, where will the Steelers draft, 31 or 32? I can't think of anyone who will be there right now, maybe they will take... Antonio Cromartie? If he's around. I really have no idea..

You acutally took time out of your schedule to figure out what 7 + 86 x 43 is?

Dook
01-27-2006, 02:24 PM
I rank the needs in this order:

#1 WR
Randel El is likely gone. Hines is still the #1 WR with Wilson as our #2. Quincy Morgan or Nate Washington should compete for the slot and #3 WR spot but I'd love to see us get Martin Nance or Hank Baskett so we can begin developing for the future. Also, what if Hines gets hurt?

#2 RB
Duce may be gone but I think we give him a chance next year to see if he can produce and we still have Willie Parker. Verron is probably never going to be more than a #3 so I'd like to see us get another big back like Cedric Hume if he's available.

#3 OL
Hartings may or may not retire. He's still capable but he will need to restructure if he stays because his $7m isn't going to allow us to pay others. His backup, Kemo, may get the start but I would get the best talent available.

#4 LB
I just don't think the talent available is better than what we have but we need to look for added depth. Porter gets $5m next year and we just can't keep paying him that kind of money. I really think that we will have no choice but to let him go after next year.

#5 QB
Need a #3.

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 03:21 PM

#1 WR
Randel El is likely gone. Hines is still the #1 WR with Wilson as our #2. Quincy Morgan or Nate Washington should compete for the slot and #3 WR spot but I'd love to see us get Martin Nance or Hank Baskett so we can begin developing for the future. Also, what if Hines gets hurt?

#2 RB
Duce may be gone but I think we give him a chance next year to see if he can produce and we still have Willie Parker. Verron is probably never going to be more than a #3 so I'd like to see us get another big back like Cedric Hume if he's available.

#3 OL
Hartings may or may not retire. He's still capable but he will need to restructure if he stays because his $7m isn't going to allow us to pay others. His backup, Kemo, may get the start but I would get the best talent available.

#4 LB
I just don't think the talent available is better than what we have but we need to look for added depth. Porter gets $5m next year and we just can't keep paying him that kind of money. I really think that we will have no choice but to let him go after next year.

#5 QB
Need a #3.

i pretty much agree... these are the players i like for the steelers at those positions...

WR- Mike Hass- Oregon State, Steve Breaston, Michigan (what a returner... simply said, he could take place of Randle El easily)
RB- DonTrell Moore, New Mexico, Wali Lundy, Virginia (he's a scorer)
OL- Donovan Raiola C Wisconsin, Greg Eslinger C Minnesota, Matt Lentz G Michigan, Ryan O'Callaghan T Cal
LB- DeMeco Ryans Bama, Nick Reid Kansas, Will Derting Wash st.
QB- Kellen Clemens Oregon, Brodie Croyle Bama, Bruce Gradkowski Toledo

SteelerDan43
01-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Demarco Ryans is the second rated outside linebacker, no way the Steelers have a shot at him...

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 03:33 PM
i think they def do... because i dont see alot of teams out there that will go for him, because he is not as fast to the ball like some of the other lb's and he is bigger... almost inside lb size... plus i have a feelin his times arent goin to be crazy so some teams might be alil hesitant, so he could drop... if u noticed if ne1 was watchin ne of the senior bowl practices on espn the past week... u heard alot about aj hawk, chad greenway, but not a whole lot of Ryans... and i like it that way cause he is a playmaker, that could fall just becuase he isnt noticed and because the combine hasnt happened just yet

SteelerDan43
01-27-2006, 03:37 PM
I dont see us taking another linebacker in the 1st round and I dont think he will be there at the last pick in the second round... I would much rather see a wide reciever or a running back taken in the first

RoethlisBURGHer
01-27-2006, 03:38 PM
No clue,but picking 31st or 32nd makes it tough to really get the big names.If we could trade up,I'd love to get LenDale White from USC,he's the type of runner The Bus was back in the day...if there isn't a hole,make your own and rumble 25-30 yards downfield.

MichiSteeler
01-27-2006, 03:41 PM
I'd like to see us either take a big back, by trading up and getting LenDale hopefully. Or a defensive end, like Elvis Dumerville, or the best DE available.

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 03:52 PM
im not sure but from wat i have heard bout dumerville he is way too small to play in a 3-4... hes like a dwight freeney type player

BlackNGold203
01-27-2006, 03:58 PM
with Parker coming off a 1200 yd year... I doubt they go RB in the 1st round...
I gotta believe they will look at OL or WR...
Isn't Breaston a local kid???

MNsteelers
01-27-2006, 04:04 PM

#1 WR

Nate Washington was on the practice squad until Q got hurt? What makes you think he will instantly compete for a third WR spot?

While Mel Kiper was bashing him pretty good, the Steelers have an excellent chance to land Derek Hagan of ASU. He didn't work out incredibly well during the Senior Bowl, but his on-the-field results shouldn't be ignored. I am also a fan of Avant out of Michigan in maybe the second or third round if the No. 1 goes elsewhere.

#2 RB

Good call. Haynes isn't more than a 3, and will likely be out of Pittsburgh next year. Duce is more valuable to us on the roster than off it (cutting him would bring a decent sized cap hit against us) and since the odds of LenDale White falling to 31 or 32 are about as strong as Mike Martz winning the next four Super Bowls, you can bet Duce will be around next year. Get a good third down back somewhere in this draft.

#3 OL

Kemo is not the backup center, it's Chukky Okobi, who signed an extension two years ago that is going to pay him starting center money next year. It's up to Hartings, but the Steelers organization insured the chance of him retiring this off season. Okobi is their guy if Hartings can't go.

#4 LB

What??? LET JOEY PORTER GO?!? Are you serious? This is one of the weaker linebacker drafts in recent memory, and Joey Porter is one of the best in the game at his position. The last thing the Steelers are doing is cutting Joey Porter after next season and draft a rookie to start in a year. Depth is a factor at this position, as both James Harrison and Andre Frazier were hurt at different times this season.

#5 QB
Need a #3.

Ehh...who cares? Just keep Brian St. Pierre or his younger equivilant close by for the No. 3 QB. Maddox is going to go after this season, and Batch filled in well this season (all things considered).

MNsteelers
01-27-2006, 04:06 PM
im not sure but from wat i have heard bout dumerville he is way too small to play in a 3-4... hes like a dwight freeney type player

Yes, Dumervil is entirely too small to play DE in the 3-4. Hell, he's not even big enough to play OLB in the 3-4. The only chance he would have in this defense would be ILB, and that's not a position worthy of taking someone who would have to make a huge adjustment before he'd be ready to go. Dumervil will be taken by a team playing Cover 2.

MNsteelers
01-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Looking back at the last few drafts, DE is the one position the Steelers haven't successfully addressed. The big thing with a DE in a 3-4 is he has to be big. Aaron Smith, Kimo VonOelhoffen, you're talking 6-foot-5, 270 pounds. It's no coincidence both Kimo and Smitty were D-tackles in college, and VO was a tackle in Cincinnati before he came to Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh wants to start shoring up some depth at DE, especially in this year's draft (since there's no chance in hell a freak like Mario Williams falls that far), they're going to look for a guy with great size, strength, and the ability to tie up blockers and are tough at the point of attack. The DE in the 3-4 doesn't rush the passer, he holds up the linemen to let the linebackers run free. Size, wingspan, off-the-ball quickness....that's what they're looking for.

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 04:15 PM
i look for de next year... there are alot more de's that suit the 3-4 coming out next year

smashmouth
01-27-2006, 04:23 PM
They need to get a power inside short yardage back. Another free saefty or corner with speed and hard hitting to free up Troy on defense schemes. OL for insurance in case of injury.

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 04:32 PM
i thought free safety as well... sign chris hope to a 1 yr contract and then get rid of him after the next draft pick gets the defense and gets a year in system

JerseySTEEL
01-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Wow u guys need to do some research before u make such bad team needs lists lol.

The real team needs are.

1.DE:Von and kesial will be FA's this year, and Von will be turning 32. If we draft a DE in the 1st it helps us in not having to pay a WR big money for a 1st round selction.

Rod wright DT form texas,FSU DT Broderick Bunkley,Miami DT Orien Harris- All these guys have what it takes to switch from DT to DE in our 3-4 defensive scheme.

2.OC:The running agme is our bread a butter, and we can't over look someone syaing he might retire, and if we can win this superbowl we could see 2-3 retireing on our squad.Hartings aslo has a big cap numebr and with us 4 million over we might have to drop him.

Nick mangold in roudn 3 would be perfect, i wa shigh on mike degory earlier but mangold has come on in the senior bowl practice's.

3.WR:EL, morey, and morgan will be FA's.Wr's we don't go for ealry 2-4 rounders.

MRob has showen great skills as aWR in pratcice so far and could get him late.Maruce stovall also maybe our buy with his blocking skills and size.

4.RB:With duce unable to stay healthy, haynes a FA , parker a good starter but needs help and Bettis retiring we need soem depth and only reason why Rb is this high is BC its our focal point.

Mike Bell is a greta fit in our shcmee and w ecould steal in very late.

5.CB: Townsend,taylor will be Fa's but taylor is a RFA so we keep him but williw williams is older then disco and we need depth.i say we will go int he 2nd round for a CB liek we have doen 2 years ina row now.

i love cedric griffin from texas in th2 2nd.

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 04:41 PM
I want Lendale White... i just dont know if he will fall to the 31st/32nd pick for us to get

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 04:43 PM
from wat i have heard from watchin the senior bowl practice 2day, michael robinson is very inconsistent catching the ball, and he might have a better chance as a safety in the nfl...

JerseySTEEL
01-27-2006, 06:33 PM
I want Lendale White... i just dont know if he will fall to the 31st/32nd pick for us to get

White is the only Rb i can see us drfating int he 1st, but after the rosebowl i can't seee him droppign past to us.

JerseySTEEL
01-27-2006, 06:35 PM
from wat i have heard from watchin the senior bowl practice 2day, michael robinson is very inconsistent catching the ball, and he might have a better chance as a safety in the nfl...

don't know what channel u are watching but i have hared he's been surprising at Wr and could be a great fit at Wr.

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 07:21 PM
here is espn's senior bowl thoughts on each player...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/insider/news/story?id=2307236&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft06%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d2307236

JerseySTEEL
01-27-2006, 07:24 PM
go here for senior bowl stuff.

Nfldraftcountdown.com

Tha rock
01-27-2006, 07:32 PM
i think
RB
wr
LB

shevdog
01-27-2006, 07:50 PM
[quote=Brady12]Just so you know, 7 + 86 x 43 = 3999. But I guess if we want, we can round up to 40, and that = Super Bowl 40.. How that worked out is crazy! /quote]

:rofl:That's too much!

blitzburghXL
01-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I think we need to think about Steelers football... I doubt we'll take a WR in the 1st round. We need a RB first, then a CB, then a WR.

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 08:29 PM
I think the wr class this year is deep... but the steelers wont even need a wr if they dont get rid of el which is still up in the air. I would love to see the steelers take a lineman on either side of the ball. every1 knows that the steelers dont really need anybody at this junction, they need to get more depth and i think that either a safety or a lineman is the best way to go for the steelers in the way of depth, in this draft... next year there will be more 3-4 type de's and a running back by the name of bush from louisville, so i dont think they will go there unless lendale falls this far... which wont happen cause he will be the 3rd back taken and he wont slip past carolina. Laurence Maroney might move up the board to late first round, but i dont think he is a good fit for the steelers.

louisvillecards
01-27-2006, 09:38 PM
elvis dumerville this years sack leader

SteelersNation7
01-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Guys just today I heard one running back has been real impressive with a good burst of speed. This running back is projected as a possible late 1st round pick (29 or lowere) maybe a early second at worst.....Darius Norwood I believe out of Ol Miss. What about him. I must confess although I live in SEC Country...I still dont know much about him, but he's drawing attention.
What's your thoughts on him?

nu4everfan15
01-27-2006, 11:33 PM
ive thought that ole miss had one of the best backfields (rb wise) in the nation last year, but they never showed me anything so i dunno if it was because of the oline or wat, but i would have to watch him some more... cant wait for the game 2marrow... i hate not havin college football nemore

JerseySTEEL
01-28-2006, 02:45 AM
Sry to let ya know but your a little back on news bush from louisville is staying in school lol. but yes the only rb we draft in the 1st would be white, De is the spot we go in the 1st.