PDA

View Full Version : The real reason we're struggling on D

steelerchad
12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
No turnovers.

This team is very similar to last years team with a couple of small exceptions. TO's will turn a close game to you favor almost every time and our D isn't coming up with them this year.

We're on pace to turn over the ball on offense slightly more than last year. We ended last year with 25 TO's on offense, but got 29 TO's on D for a +4. Many of those were the end of game big situation INT or Fumble to lock down the game for us. This year it's not happening.

Through 12 games our O has turned it over 21 times, but our D has only gotten 16 in return or -5 so far for the season. I think this is a big reason the D is struggling down the stretch. TO's get you off the field. Our D has always allowed teams to move the ball between the 20's. We would dare you to try to move the ball down field with 12 play drives knowing somebody would make a big play. Strip, INT, Sack, and in the end you would end up with no points for all your hard work. Our D was also able to clamp down and hold teams to 3 when they got into the red zone. This seems to be a glaring weakness especially in the 4th.

I can't help think our D is missing it's TO machine in Troy.

stb_steeler
12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Lets not forget all the possible interceptions the D dropped.

HometownGal
12-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Nice post sb and while I agree that Troy is definitely the master at forcing turnovers on this D unit, the other guys need to step up not only their play in his absence, but go for the ball a helluva lot more than they have been doing. I hope our secondary brought their Biletnikoff special with them to Cleveland. :chuckle:

Milkman
12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
I agree 100%.
Our defense plays well in most phases "except" getting turnovers this year.

Maybe I'll send a truckload of apple "turnovers" to get them started. :tt04:

Christian Snyder
12-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree 100%. nuff' said.

steelerchad
12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
another game with no turnovers.
A bad weather game to boot and we can't get the worst offense in the league to even cough up 1 TO.

Steelerfreak58
12-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Sorry but the D gave up big 3rd and longs all season when it was critical. The offense sucked balls but the D was pretty bad when it counted.

Rick5895
12-10-2009, 10:41 PM
How in the hell can you blame the D for this one. WE SCORED 6 POINTS AGAIST THE BRWONS> THIS ONE IS ON THE O>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlastFurnace
12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
The entire team has been awful this season....Offense, Defense, Special Teams.