PDA

View Full Version : Offensive game plan....

California-Steel
12-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Was HORRIBLE!!!!! We could not put one TD on the board with man to man all game.

What a joke. Our playbook looks like a high school playbook. I apologize to all the good high schools out there.

BleedBlacknGold0
12-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Just wait for people to come on this thread saying it has nothing to do with Arians or the offensive game planning.

Man coverage all day and not one shot deep to wallace? Call me one of those Madden idiots but even I think that would have been a sure call

MillerMania83
12-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Man, I couldn't agree more....The play calling for the Steelers is HORRIBLE, it really is....I've been saying it for a couple of years now, I HATE BA, his logic and calls just are beyond me sometimes, the calls are just basically STUPID SO MANY TIMES, they really are....If Tomlin really wants to show that things are gonna change and this kind of play will not be tolerated, BA should be the first to go and tomorrow morning can't be soon enough for me (and many others)....The calls are so predictable or just "bland", there's no surprise factor AT ALL with BA, NONE....What the he!! ever happened to a trick play or somethin' to try and just get somethin' going or do something to surprise the D when things aren;t going well....They probably have run maybe 2 or 3 "trick" plays in like 3 yrs (half back passes I believe)....Man, the days with Randle El, and Mularky and Wisenhunt, say what ya want, but the guys would at least try somethin' different when things just weren't workin', NOT BA, same 'ole same 'ole, and really, it's PATHETIC to watch....Season is over, actually they are an embarassment, to see a last years champs fall so far and look so bad is just UNBELIEVABLE....I bleed balck and gold, and I'll still wear my stuff and hang my banners, but man, this is just so tough to swallow and accept....I can't believe I'm making the trip out next week for the GB game and it's gonna mean absolutely zip, never would have thought that when I made the plans....There is always next year, hopefully with a bunch of guys who can actually make some plays and a new OC who will call them.

Vincent
12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Blow the OC and his "staff" up. Hopefully collateral damage will get the HC as well.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2009, 11:30 PM
It's time to fire Arians. I've seen the light....I've seen the light.

psusteelers4life
12-10-2009, 11:30 PM
on the last play 4th and 6 and they call a play where the receivers run 10 to 12 yard routes?? that boggles my mind I know you need yardage but...

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Where is Mike Mularkey?

California-Steel
12-10-2009, 11:31 PM
When you have a team playing man up you have multiple ways of beating it. Not only in the passing game but the run game as well.

You can kill it with draws, and or sweeps. Hell the screen will work as well. If we has some imagination we could have run some pass options with Dixon. H-E-L-L, try something, anything.

Why was Sweed not used to get a miss match on a saftey or linebacker. We could have even put him in the back field then motioned him out to get a miss match. What do I know I only coach little kids. Guess those 6 big points prove me wrong.:noidea:

Rick5895
12-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I am sure there are people on this that will say it was the D's fault because the Browns scored a TD. The offensive game plan had no continuity. We won the SB last season because of our D, making plays when they had to, this season we have struggled to do that defensively. I must say, this offense , with all the weapons should be putting 27-30 points on the board / game, we don't we just allowed the worst team in football to hold us to 6 friggin points. * sacks against us. Awful O Line play and quite frankly awful offensive coaching, which is becoming the norm. !0 points after 3 quarters against the Raiders. 500 yards vs Chiefs 24 points. Our red zone O sucks although we weren't there tonight.
I know HTG and some of the others will crucify me for this but the ST coach and Arians have to go. They are horrible. Players don't or didn't execute much tonight on O, but there is a problem with scheme.
After the first half I actually thought we might win, but with the way things are going 6-10 and a top half draft pick are looking good right now. Yes I am pissed, and I see no silver lining in this mess. At leas tthere is an excuse on d for the sometimes not good showing, NO SMITH OR TROY> NO excuse on O for this.

steelbad@50
12-10-2009, 11:35 PM
offensive game plan simply sucked, why do you throw the ball on a 3rd and one early on in the 1st qtr, why:doh: just pathetic.

Steelerroy
12-10-2009, 11:36 PM
I follow this sight and read most of the posts everyday but I hardly ever post because I can't stand Arians and I just don't wanna get into a pissing match about it.I'm sorry to people that don't feel the same way but I just can't take it anymore!! ARIANS HAS TO GO!!! Come on,he didn't try to run near enough and threw the ball WAY to much in that kind of weather!! That's ridiculous! Where was the fullback?! 8 sacks and almost no use of a FB to block for Mendy or to pass block! Someone has to tell Ben to throw it away sometimes and that falls on Arians and Tomlin!! We don't play in a dome!! Run the ball when you need to and pass when you can!! Enough with trying to be the Patriots!! It's clear that ,that is what Tomlin and Arians want to be.Sucks!!

FacemeIke
12-10-2009, 11:37 PM
I can understand not throwing deep because of the wind issues, but there are other ways to beat that defense, which by the way was missing a lot of its starters. I've never been much of an Arians fan, but I stuck by him this year until now. He has to go. Where what the GD urgency on the offense? Every play was being snapped with just a few seconds on the clock.

Oh just thought of the other thing that bothered me. First drive 3rd and 1, we go with bunch formation and 4 wideouts and throw the ball. 2nd drive 3rd and 3, 5 wideouts and no blockers in the backfield with Ben. Why are we tipping our hand so much that we are going to be throwing the ball on 3rd and short? The D doesnt have to even worry about the run in those situation. I bet we run the ball the least amount in the league on 3rd and 3 or less.

kpm1118
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Arians needs to go but the O-line is a siv. How many times did they leave Mendenhall in to block on 3rd down.....which should be the only down he is in by the way. Where was Parker.....speed would have been great tonight to try and get outside. Arians needs to go, Colon needs to go, Gay needs to go, I'm not high on Carter either.....simply wussed out tonight. I never thought I would say that about a Steeler team but they played like they wanted to get back on the warm bus......god this sucks!

FacemeIke
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I must say, this offense , with all the weapons should be putting 27-30 points on the board / game, we don't we just allowed the worst team in football to hold us to 6 friggin points. * sacks against us. Awful O Line play and quite frankly awful offensive coaching, which is becoming the norm. !0 points after 3 quarters against the Raiders. 500 yards vs Chiefs 24 points. Our red zone O sucks although we weren't there tonight.
I know HTG and some of the others will crucify me for this but the ST coach and Arians have to go. They are horrible. Players don't or didn't execute much tonight on O, but there is a problem with scheme.

I agree 100%, and I know we'll hear everyone defending Arians, but a decent OC could get a ton of point out of the talent we have on offense. We have a top 5 qb in the league, 2 solid RBs, a great 3rd down back, 2 super bowl mvps at wideout who are also great blockers, a speedster rookie in the slot, a top 2 TE in the league and an improving OLine. To Arians supporters please tell me how we are not more successful on offense with this talent?

MillerMania83
12-10-2009, 11:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing about Dixon, at least get the kid in there with his legs and try somethin' with him, I mean CMON, TRY F'N SOMETHIN'....But nah, BA keeps calling his BS plays that didn't even come close to working, and now the defending champs are setting records for losing and are practically a laughing stock, and as a Steeler fan, that just kills me....Even the guys on ESPN right now can't believe that performance they just witnessed from the Steelers, honestly, HEADS SHOULD ROLL....And just a comment on the D, WOW, where has that killer instinct gone (#43 in there or not, we always HAD pride), and I've always been a HUGE James Farrior fan, but man, the last few weeks, the dude looks SLOW, time to move on ya know.

mesaSteeler
12-10-2009, 11:46 PM
It's time to fire Arians. I've seen the light....I've seen the light.

Welcome to our side.

Bobby_Walden
12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Yup. He rots.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-10-2009, 11:53 PM
3rd down - very disappointing...

First Half:
3rd and 1 - sack
3rd and 3 - sack
3rd and 1 - no gain
3rd and 7 - sack
3rd and 5 - incomplete
3rd and 19 - sack

Second Half
3rd and 1 - Run for 4 yards (first down)
3rd and 4 - incomplete
3rd and 7 - sack
3rd and 6 - incomplete
3rd and 8 - incomplete (holding)
3rd and 18 - incomplete
3rd and 1 - Run for 5 yards (first down)
3rd and 6 - complete for 7 yards (first down)
3rd and 19 - complete for 13 yards

MillerMania83
12-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Arians needs to go but the O-line is a siv. How many times did they leave Mendenhall in to block on 3rd down.....which should be the only down he is in by the way. Where was Parker.....speed would have been great tonight to try and get outside. Arians needs to go, Colon needs to go, Gay needs to go, I'm not high on Carter either.....simply wussed out tonight. I never thought I would say that about a Steeler team but they played like they wanted to get back on the warm bus......god this sucks!

Have to agree also, Fast Willie I thought should have been in there more....With the conditions tonight, I thought we could have used Willie a ton more, trying to get to the edge to bust one, hitting one of those seems and taking it to the house, dumping a few screens off to him with all of the pressure they were sending Ben's way, thought #39 could have been a HUGE player in this game, but umm, NOPE, never really seen him after his 1 series of plays.

California-Steel
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
For the people talking about using FP more tonight, have it correct. Have you seen other teams and how they use their dual backs? For some reason there is no imagination at all with this team.

Not one roll out.
Not one true screen
Not one sweep
Heath should of had 15 catches tonight.

That was just patchetic.

eafratitpm3
12-10-2009, 11:59 PM
I thought that the play that Mendenhall dropped would have been a great opportunity for FWP to be in there. I don't know if it was just me or did Ben have about 10-12 yds of open running room there to easily get the first down.

Vincent
12-11-2009, 12:00 AM
We had one?

California-Steel
12-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Another thing I did not understand is that your small WR were getting man handled all day. Why not put in some big boys? Sweed is 6' friggin 4". Also what happened to the two TE sets? LB's can't cover TE's, just ask Timmons and Farrior.

Does BA even look at the other OC on the other side and say hey that was a great play, maybe I do something like that?

IDIOT!!

pepsyman1
12-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Well, it's obvious that our OC isn't making best use of the talent we have. He's been summarized as saying he wants to have an offense like the Steelers of the late 70's when we had a great mix and could either run or pass based on what would work best....but he DOESN'T make the adjustments to do that. Us older fans remember when we had Rocky Bleier AND Franco in the backfield at the same time along with Bennie Cunningham, Stallworth and Swann. We always had options and didn't telegraph what we were gonna do with what formation we were in.

How cool would it be to see Mendi and FWP in the backfield at the same time? Power and speed...better potential blocking for WHOEVER ends up with the ball. Options to either side. THEN the passing game would REALLY open up. This guy just doesn't seem to have the gameplan or the ability to adjust once he sees what the defense is doing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Come on guys, the coaches had a fantastic plan and the players didnt execute. These guys won the Super Bowl last year with the same team and gameplan...........oh, I guess there were a lot more defensive TD's scored in key games. :doh:

Woodley vs Baltimore, and Townsend vs Dallas, then Troy vs Baltimore in the AFCC, and that little 100yd run by Harrison in the Super Bowl.

WHY DIDNT WE GAMEPLAN MORE DEFENSIVE TD'S SCORED THIS SEASON?!?!?!?!? :banging:

pepsyman1
12-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Come on guys, the coaches had a fantastic plan and the players didnt execute. These guys won the Super Bowl last year with the same team and gameplan...........oh, I guess there were a lot more defensive TD's scored in key games. :doh:

Woodley vs Baltimore, and Townsend vs Dallas, then Troy vs Baltimore in the AFCC, and that little 100yd run by Harrison in the Super Bowl.

WHY DIDNT WE GAMEPLAN MORE DEFENSIVE TD'S SCORED THIS SEASON?!?!?!?!? :banging:

LOL...we didn't want to take a chance on Troy getting hurt on a runback!

NJarhead
12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
For the people talking about using FP more tonight, have it correct. Have you seen other teams and how they use their dual backs? For some reason there is no imagination at all with this team.

Not one roll out.
Not one true screen
Not one sweep
Heath should of had 15 catches tonight.

That was just patchetic.

When you watch FB, do actually digest what you see? :noidea:

AllD
12-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I say empty the bench and see who wants to play and who wants to be waived.