PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays

Dylan
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
In my opinion the Steelers are going to use their first pick this year on a Defensive back...The devensive backs are the strength of the draft this year...while I would love to see theSsteelers get Eric Berry, I dont think that will happen..because the the steelers will have a top 20-25 pick....so I say the Steelers take Taylor Mays out of USC

Mays was considered a top 5 pick a year ago...but has struggled this year. A couple reasons for that is he lost a very good supporting class in Rey Maualuga, Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, etc...(i know, not a good excuse), but losing so many other great players will hurt a player in some way or another. Coming to Pittsburgh, Mays would be around a good supporting cast and would also learn from Polamalu and Lebeau

Mays biggest problem is his coverage...however, he hits like Ryan Clark, maybe even a little harder, and is a freakin speed demon. Also, he has good instincts...but since he is weak in pass coverage, I really believe he will slide to the bottom of the first round this year (excluding combine work out,etc) But the coverage problem doesn't bother me for 2 reasons:
1. Dick Lebeau, nuff said
2. At worst he is a younger more energetic Ryan Clark

Mays will look very good in Black n' Gold....and it would be awesome to see him and former Trojan, Troy Polamalu play side-by-side.

Opinions welcome, offer constructive criticism, i will try to explain if not well you got me....also i do know this is to early to predict a pick, so this is subject to change, but as of now, Mays is the pick

Steelers fan always, no matter what the record:tt04:

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2009, 12:31 AM
so you want a free safety that can't cover but makes big hits....we've got one of those...his name is ryan clark. personaly i'd prefer a FS that actually does what a free safety is supposed to do... help out the cb's in pass defense.. you know...like that reed fella does in bmore. :noidea: at the beginning of the year i would've been and was all for mays, but after watching some usc games this year and actually seeing him take a step backwards in his pass coverage, i don't know if i'd use a 2nd rd pick on him. mays = roy williams

volkmire
12-11-2009, 12:48 AM
I would be very happy if the Steelers could draft Joe Haden, Rolando McClain, or Earl Thomas. Either way, I don't know how you could lose drafting one of these players. Where the Steelers are going to draft, there is a good chance they could get one of these players.

I am a huge fan of Rolando McClain as I can vision him being a potential defensive leader of the Steelers in the future. Not only is he gifted as an athlete, he has a lot of football smarts as well. Barring any serious injuries or whatever else, I can see this guy playing in the NFL for the next decade.

The only question I have about Earl Thomas is if his small frame can hold up for a long time in the NFL. Make no mistake that he is a true football player and he will give it his all on every snap. He does well against the pass and run. I'd be excited to see him teaming up with Polamalu. Imagine how much fear these two would give against the opposing quarterbacks!

Joe Haden will probably be selected very early in the draft. I would not rule it out due to the fact I can't figure why some teams wouldn't draft this player. Also the fact because the Steelers organization is known to trade up and draft a player they love. I suspect his biggest weakness is being confused with certain types of defense he has to play. I think that is coachable and can be corrected.

Taylor Mays would make me nervous if he is drafted by the Steelers because I cannot help but get flashbacks of Anthony Smith.

augustashark
12-11-2009, 02:08 AM
I would be very happy if the Steelers could draft Joe Haden, Rolando McClain, or Earl Thomas. Either way, I don't know how you could lose drafting one of these players. Where the Steelers are going to draft, there is a good chance they could get one of these players.

I am a huge fan of Rolando McClain as I can vision him being a potential defensive leader of the Steelers in the future. Not only is he gifted as an athlete, he has a lot of football smarts as well. Barring any serious injuries or whatever else, I can see this guy playing in the NFL for the next decade.

The only question I have about Earl Thomas is if his small frame can hold up for a long time in the NFL. Make no mistake that he is a true football player and he will give it his all on every snap. He does well against the pass and run. I'd be excited to see him teaming up with Polamalu. Imagine how much fear these two would give against the opposing quarterbacks!

Joe Haden will probably be selected very early in the draft. I would not rule it out due to the fact I can't figure why some teams wouldn't draft this player. Also the fact because the Steelers organization is known to trade up and draft a player they love. I suspect his biggest weakness is being confused with certain types of defense he has to play. I think that is coachable and can be corrected.

Taylor Mays would make me nervous if he is drafted by the Steelers because I cannot help but get flashbacks of Anthony Smith.

I understand that Mays has taken a step back from last year but your take is a little extreme. Anthony Smith??? really? I don't think Smith is even near the talent of Mays. You have to draft smart though, you can't reach for Mays just because of last year and you can't pass on him just because of this year. He will most likely be one of the most talked about guys when it comes to "will he be jr year mays or sr year mays".

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2009, 03:55 AM
I understand that Mays has taken a step back from last year but your take is a little extreme. Anthony Smith??? really? I don't think Smith is even near the talent of Mays. You have to draft smart though, you can't reach for Mays just because of last year and you can't pass on him just because of this year. He will most likely be one of the most talked about guys when it comes to "will he be jr year mays or sr year mays".
but his jr year wasn't all that spectacular.....at least not from a pass defense standpoint. he had 0 interceptions last year, and only has 4 in his college carrear. the guy has the physical tools to be a great safety, but the question is, can he be coached up at the nfl level ? the steelers already have a safety that can play like an extra lber...what they need now is a safety that can make plays in pass defense. a ballhawk like ed reed.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 03:57 AM
but his jr year wasn't all that spectacular.....at least not from a pass defense standpoint. he had 0 interceptions last year, and only has 4 in his college carrear. the guy has the physical tools to be a great safety, but the question is, can he be coached up at the nfl level ? the steelers already have a safety that can play like an extra lber...what they need now is a safety that can make plays in pass defense. a ballhawk like ed reed.

And a CB that can ballhawk too. I HOPE burnett can, but not from what he's shown this year the few times he's been in.

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2009, 05:16 AM
And a CB that can ballhawk too. I HOPE burnett can, but not from what he's shown this year the few times he's been in.
there's not a ton of quality CB's in the draft IMO... outside of haden, i'd guess maybe, 1 other cb might be drafted in the first, and he'll probably end up as a safety.

Texasteel
12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
I like the 3 players the volkmire mentioned but don't think we will get high enough for Haden, or McClain. Thomas is for real IMO. and at 5'11" 195lb. may not be as small as you may think. A couple other player I want to watch from here on is Reshard Jones, and Major Wright.

Still think I like Church and Johnson in the mid rounds as well.

Texasteel
12-11-2009, 08:04 AM
there's not a ton of quality CB's in the draft IMO... outside of haden, i'd guess maybe, 1 other cb might be drafted in the first, and he'll probably end up as a safety.

I think you may right MOP, which make Haden even more attractive if he was available. If the 2nd player you are talking about is Ras-I Dowling I agree he may play the safety position.

Kyle Wilson, and Donovan Warren are two others that may be worth a look.

Dylan
12-11-2009, 09:08 AM
so you want a free safety that can't cover but makes big hits....we've got one of those...his name is ryan clark. personaly i'd prefer a FS that actually does what a free safety is supposed to do... help out the cb's in pass defense.. you know...like that reed fella does in bmore. :noidea: at the beginning of the year i would've been and was all for mays, but after watching some usc games this year and actually seeing him take a step backwards in his pass coverage, i don't know if i'd use a 2nd rd pick on him. mays = roy williams

ok i see where you are coming from, however clark is getting up there in age and safety's start to decline...look at tyson jackson, he had a down year his senior year and was the 3rd pick in the draft by the chiefs....and mays does have the ability to be a great pass defender....he just needs to be coached

Dylan
12-11-2009, 09:12 AM

no offense, but the reason mays really didnt have any interceptions is because teams know he is there and try to avoid him....this year yea he has been horriblem but he has a great attitude and work ethic, so lebeau would teach him well.....

and also man you have to stop ith that ed reed crap...we have a ball hawk in polamalu, we just need another saftey for death/youth that has the potential to be good/maybe even great

revefsreleets
12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
If we wait a round or two, Kurt Coleman is intriguing. He's definitely a FS (although he plays SS now), as at 190, maybe 195 he's too small to play SS. He's almost fast enough to play corner (runs 4.46-4.57 40), but I think he has what it takes to play FS for a team like the Steelers. He hits like a truck, has solid coverage skills, and, most importantly, is a "splash player", makes a big impact when he's on the field.

64 tackles
2.5 for loss
1 sack
4 passes broken up
3 forced fumbles
5 INT's

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I'd love to see the Steelers get Rolando McClain, but I'm not sure he's coming out just yet, but if Bama does beat Texas, I would assume he probably will. Ro would be a great fit for Pittsburgh and would quickly become a leader on and off the field.

supa_fly_steeler
12-11-2009, 01:59 PM
im a defensive back fan, but if bamas mclain is there, take him... he's gonna be an awesome linebacker, i just hope the ratbirds dont select him to replace the murderer or rapist suggs

MDSteel15
12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Please, no bums allowed!

Aussie_steeler
12-15-2009, 01:39 AM
In the 2nd I like Nate Allen and Ras I Dowling at the FS position. Throw in Duanta Williams in the 3rd and I think you could possilby find our FS pick.

I like Morgan Burnett but he may be more of a SS in the pro's. May have said this before but I am really liking the idea of Rennie Curran (LB Georgia) making the conversion to SS. He would be a dynamo at SS and on ST. I really think he has short man syndrome and he really looks like a player when he crosses the whitelines. Cody Grimm at SS is a real sleeper for the late rounds.

MasterOfPuppets
12-15-2009, 02:45 AM
no offense, but the reason mays really didnt have any interceptions is because teams know he is there and try to avoid him....this year yea he has been horriblem but he has a great attitude and work ethic, so lebeau would teach him well.....

and also man you have to stop ith that ed reed crap...we have a ball hawk in polamalu, we just need another saftey for death/youth that has the potential to be good/maybe even great
oh what the hell am i thinkin ? :doh: ...your right...why would a team want a ball hawking free safety in addition to a strong safety ? silly me...:banging:

Dylan
02-18-2010, 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJU64wUPxEA

nice video on mays

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJU64wUPxEA

nice video on mays

He sucks donkey balls, go watch kyle wilson highlights and u will wet yourself.

6MfSrrGZU2k

I hope we take a good look at Kyle Wilson

taztroy43
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
He sucks donkey balls, go watch kyle wilson highlights and u will wet yourself.

6MfSrrGZU2k

I hope we take a good look at Kyle Wilson

LOL i got to see Kyle Wilson live against Fresno State....that guy was the only player on defense that stood out....He's very fast and aggressive!

Chidi29
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Highlight videos for specific players are the worst possible measuring sticks you could use.

You could make Ryan Leaf look like Peyton Manning and Manning look like Leaf if you really wanted to.

Northside Jonny
02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
I must say IMO Mays would be the worst compliment to Troy possible! Troy is our 5th LB. We really need someone that can help take the load off of Troy when it comes to pass coverage. That way he will be able to conserve some energy and not have to be running all over the damn field.

supa_fly_steeler
02-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Steroids. That is all i can say.

Mays is hideous foul creature that is a physical specimens freak. So is Julius Peppers. 1 good year, 1 bad ineffective year, 1 good year, 1 bad year ect ect

Northside Jonny
02-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Steroids. That is all i can say.

Mays is hideous foul creature that is a physical specimens freak. So is Julius Peppers. 1 good year, 1 bad ineffective year, 1 good year, 1 bad year ect ect

LOL:chuckle: Mays will wow teams at the combine but will be a complete bust as a player. Great at workouts but a no show on sundays .

supa_fly_steeler
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
LOL:chuckle: Mays will wow teams at the combine but will be a complete bust as a player. Great at workouts but a no show on sundays .

:sofunny: