PDA

View Full Version : Seattle cares more about Gay Rights than the Super Bowl

Steeltown Dre
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
You don't even see much about the Seahawks on the "home" page of their abc network TV station: http://www.kirotv.com/index.html

The only article is about ticket scalping further down the page. But what headline pops out at you? The fact that they passed a Gay Rights Bill. :dang:

As opposed to Black and Gold, the Seahawks represent all the colors of the rainbow:

Senate Passes Gay Rights Bill

POSTED: 8:21 am PST January 27, 2006
UPDATED: 12:16 pm PST January 27, 2006

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- A gay civil rights measure passed the state Senate on Friday, a major victory for gay rights activists who have watched the measure fail in the Legislature for nearly 30 years.

The bill passed on a 25-23 vote, with a lone Republican joining majority Democrats.

The measure adds "sexual orientation" to a state law that bans discrimination in housing, employment and insurance. Sixteen states have passed similar laws for gays and lesbians; six of those states have passed laws for transgendered people.

Sen. Bill Finkbeiner, R-Kirkland, was the lone Republican to endorse the measure, a year after it lost by just one vote in the Senate. Two Senate Democrats voted against the measure.

Because the bill was amended this week in the Senate, it now goes back to the House, which has said it would agree with the changes. It could be on Gov. Chris Gregoire's desk by the end of the day, and the Democratic governor is expected to sign it into law.

The measure passed the House last week on a 60-37 vote, with six Republicans joining 54 Democrats in supporting the bill.

http://www.kirotv.com/politics/6497240/detail.html

seahawksfan
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
So what. This is germaine to the SB? When you go back and see Brokeback Mountain again..for the 4th time, tells us why this is so freekin' important to the SB.

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Haha what idiots those people are... I mean seriously, what kind of state gives rights to all of its citizens. Jesus!:dang:

Go steelers

Steeltown Dre
01-27-2006, 04:23 PM
So what. This is germaine to the SB? When you go back and see Brokeback Mountain again..for the 4th time, tells us why this is so freekin' important to the SB.

Wow - 126 posts in 4.5 days. Your job must be real challenging. :rolleyes:

The point is that even their homepage barely has any coverage of the team - you have to dig into the sports section to find mention of it.

Good for you guys though - I'm glad you are finally getting the opportunity to play some meaningful playoff games on national TV.

I'll tip my coffee to your great, passionate city with it's throbbing fan base and it's gay rights movement.

BlackNGold203
01-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Haha what idiots those people are... I mean seriously, what kind of state gives rights to all of its citizens. Jesus!:dang:

Go steelers

LMAO

I spoke to a co-worker in Seattle today...they think the Seahawks are a "nice story"...look...its just not a football town like da burg is...come to think of it....there is no other football town like Pittsburgh....

smashmouth
01-27-2006, 04:27 PM
WHO CARES!!!! GO STEELERS!

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't know. I have family in Seattle, and actually went to the Seahawks/Colts game on Christmas eve this year. They aint joking around out there. The 12th Man is legit, seahawks gear is everywhere, everyone was talking football. I even got booed while walking through pike place market wearing my Ward jersey. Seattle is a legit city with legit fans... I heard the univ. of wash. recorded a sizemic reading of 3.0 from the noise the crowd created on NFC Championship game.

BlackNGold203
01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I don't know. I have family in Seattle, and actually went to the Seahawks/Colts game on Christmas eve this year. They aint joking around out there. The 12th Man is legit, seahawks gear is everywhere, everyone was talking football. I even got booed while walking through pike place market wearing my Ward jersey. Seattle is a legit city with legit fans... I heard the univ. of wash. recorded a sizemic reading of 3.0 from the noise the crowd created on NFC Championship game.

WOW...

I stand corrected....

seahawksfan
01-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Wow - 126 posts in 4.5 days. Your job must be real challenging. :rolleyes:

It is...I'm a semi-retired software guy with a ton of stock options allowing me the time to spend bandwidth here with you.

The point is that even their homepage barely has any coverage of the team - you have to dig into the sports section to find mention of it.

True, I think Pittsburgh, more than any other city with the possible exception of Chicago, goes gaga in every way possible. I admire that very much.

Good for you guys though - I'm glad you are finally getting the opportunity to play some meaningful playoff games on national TV.

Me too.

I'll tip my coffee to your great, passionate city with it's throbbing fan base and it's gay rights movement.

LOL. Sounds like you would fit right in...:sissies:

Steeltown Dre
01-27-2006, 04:47 PM
You obviously didn't read this great and simply hilarious article:

http://post-gazette.com/pg/06025/643760.stm

Seattle fans slow to show Seahawks colors
Wednesday, January 25, 2006

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

CROSSING PUGET SOUND, Wash. -- The Puyallup slides across the sun-splashed water, bearing west toward Bainbridge Island with the snow-capped Olympic Mountains in the background framing a postcard panorama, and there's only one well-worn Seahawks piece of clothing aboard the whole ferry.

Hundreds of people and cars, and the only noticeable affectation of clothing in support of the Super Bowl-bound Seahawks adorns the head of high-school student Tim Hemphill.

"I started wearing it around midway through the season," Hemphill, 18, said yesterday while commuting home from his Seattle magnet school. "For two reasons: It was a good year, and my hair started getting long."

Welcome to the Emerald City, where for too many of a franchise's 30 years the locals paid no attention to that team behind the curtain.

Yet here are the Seahawks (16-2), heading to Detroit and Super Bowl XL to confront the Steelers (14-5). And people like Hemphill find themselves digging through closets and finding team colors from another century. "Old style," he called his wool cap in the original franchise colors of light blue and Kelly green. "Very old."

Since Seattle's NFL inaugural season in 1976, 23 different teams have reached the Super Bowl, while the Seahawks wallowed among the Browns, Cardinals, Chiefs, Colts, Jaguars, Jets, Lions and Saints -- the old guard left out.

The Seahawks got close only once, making the conference championship in 1983 when they were still members of the AFC (they moved in 2002). Then, last Sunday they walloped Carolina by 34-14 in the NFC Championship Game. That victory and the franchise's winningest season yet caught folks napping. Yes, consider it Sleeping in Seattle.

If locals aren't scouring for their old-school Seahawks gear, they've been buying out stores since Sunday.

"They've been bad for so long," Tom Gobeille, 46, tried to explain. He's a Bellevue, Wash., man and, befitting this area, the CEO of a computer networking company. He already has decided to give his 50 employees off Feb. 6, the day after the Super Bowl. He just returned home from a business-pleasure trip to Denver, where he skied Beaver Creek while wearing his son's metallic blue, slate gray and lime green jersey with the No. 96 of defensive end Grant Wistrom -- "The stuff people got when the Seahawks had hope, when the fans were going nuts [in the early- to mid-1980s], the sweatshirts have worn out, the Koozies have worn out. ..." The latter, of course, being the brand name for those can-holding coolers.

Gobeille was a season-ticket hold "for just ever," he said. "Seventeen rows up, 50-yard line. Great seats. I didn't want to go to the games, but then I couldn't give them away." So he gave them up altogether, much like folks gave up on the football club that rewarded them with just two winning seasons -- 9-7 each, at that -- and a single, one-and-done playoff appearance between 1989 and 2000.

Back-to-back NFC West titles and 10-6 records gave way to first-round playoff knockouts, so the Mike Holmgren era didn't offer much more to an already transient populace. If anything, Seattle sports fans would drift a mite, toward the NBA SuperSonics when they won a championship, in 1979, then toward the Mariners in the go-go Ken Griffey 1990s. A fancy Safeco Field further enraptured the baseball audience. Qwest Field arose next door to full, loud houses, prompting the Seahawks to retire in a Sunday pregame ceremony the No. 12 -- in honor of the 12th "player" -- and fly that flag from the stadium rooftop and the city's trademark Space Needle.

Then the Seahawks went out and won on the single-biggest day in Seattle's young sports history.

Fans poured into trendy Pioneer Square. Up First Avenue, near the Lusty Lady strip club where the sign proclaimed "DePants the Panthers. . . Have an Erotic Day." McCormick & Schmick ran out of food to feed the post-victory crowds, leaving them to imbibe more.

Still, in the two days to follow, there is little outward sign that sunny, 50-plus-degree Seattle is frothing with football anticipation. There are no flags on vehicles. There are no banners hanging from storefronts or lamp posts. There are a few signs in windows, most of them hand drawn. And Seahawks paraphernalia, the new style? Hardly seen.

In a noon hour spent around Westlake Center, the monorail stop and retail middle of downtown Seattle, only one Seahawks sweatshirt was spotted among thousands of people. Why is that?

"I don't know," offered pan flutist Cesar Espinosa, a native South American wearing a CCCP Russian soccer top and finishing a rousing rendition of "Hey Jude." "I guess ... I don't know. That's weird."

In fact, there was twice as much Steelers paraphernalia: two stocking caps atop the heads of Jessi Luber and Daniela Romallo, who were set to move back today to Luber's native Ohio Valley. Luber, from Cadiz, Ohio, said of Seahawks followers, "They're not as loyal as the Steeler fans are."

Down Pine Street four blocks, at the famed Pike Place Market, only four pieces of Seahawks clothing were spotted, and half of those were worn by men behind fish counters. At City Fish Co., Arno Wespested, 29, of Bothell, Wash., in new-style Seahawks blue cap and sweatshirt atop his waders, excused the Seahawks faithful by saying, "They're still in a daze. Give them a couple days to sober up and get their gear on."

"I'm still drunk," interjected brother Leif Wespested, 26, from behind the counter.

"Hey, don't forget the Sea Trout," older-brother Arno added, pointing to his display case. There lay a trout wearing a blue mini Seahawks helmet. "He's the 12th-man trout. And the only one small enough to fit in the helmet."

A few seconds later, Arno Wespested admitted, "We're a bandwagon town."

Indeed, this is a place where the outdoor activities mostly consist of hiking, running, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, hunting, sailing, rowing, running and sipping a House Blend along a sidewalk. This is the town that brought the world the first Starbuck's -- 1971, across from the Market overlooking the Sound -- and coffee bars on almost every downtown block. This is a corner of America where eastern-outpost Washington State and the local University of Washington, nicknamed "U-Dub," were the first sports-team loves.

Super Seahawks? A pleasant diversion, like a sale at Nordy's (Nordstrom's) or rising Microsoft stock.

The Puyallup left Bainbridge Island and pushed south toward majestic Mt. Rainier -- "in all her glory," Audrey Koreman noted. The ferry made a sharp left toward Seattle and the Cascade Range to the east as Koreman and her husband, Bill, spoke from their 32-year experience of retiring to the island after living in Sikesville, Md. "It does seem strange" to have the Seahawks in the Super Bowl, Bill Koreman said, flashing a smile. "But it's a great change."

Nearby, a man sat underneath a Dallas Cowboys cap.

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 04:50 PM
That is a pittsburgh news paper... it may be a LITTLE bias in our favor... but what a bunch of morons out there in the pacific nw

ZornToLargent
01-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I think one thing that may have something to do with this is that in the city of Seattle particularly, there are more transplants almost than natives to the area. Trust me....all of us natives...especially in the South Sound are incredibly f*cking pumped about this. The 12th man didn't register a 3 point on the richter scale at Qwest field and cause the most turnovers in the NFL for nothing….we did it because we know now that we have a kick ass winning team and we are really f*cking pumped about it.

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 05:23 PM
I think one thing that may have something to do with this is that in the city of Seattle particularly, there are more transplants almost than natives to the area. Trust me....all of us natives...especially in the South Sound are incredibly f*cking pumped about this. The 12th man didn't register a 3 point on the richter scale at Qwest field and cause the most turnovers in the NFL for nothing?.we did it because we know now that we have a kick ass winning team and we are really f*cking pumped about it.

How can you say seattle doesnt have devoted fans after reading that? Im telling you, I have been there before, seattle has bad ass fans that bleed blue and green. The city in general is a lot cleaner, more educated, and a lot more fun than Pittsburgh. Give them the respect they deserve...

Go Steelers.

Hasselbeck better watch his knees, KVO is coming for him just like he did Carson Palmer!!!

ZornToLargent
01-27-2006, 05:28 PM
How can you say seattle doesnt have devoted fans after reading that? Im telling you, I have been there before, seattle has bad ass fans that bleed blue and green. The city in general is a lot cleaner, more educated, and a lot more fun than Pittsburgh. Give them the respect they deserve...

Go Steelers.

Hasselbeck better watch his knees, KVO is coming for him just like he did Carson Palmer!!!
Don't get me wrong...we have incredibly devoted fans. Just not every single person in the city is...well because a lot of people who live in Seattle...are still homers from where ever they came form before Seattle. That's all. LIke the rest of the country...when we win the SB next week....everyone will know we are for real.

Go 'Hawks!!!

Steeltown Dre
01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
You are talking like registering this 3.0 on the richter is some kind of miracle.

I've been to several stadiums that shake like crazy when the home team scores a touchdown. Most memorable is RFK where the entire upper deck and pressboxes would literally sway and shake. Do some research, you'll find it in articles.

I'm sure if they had a register at the stadium it would have registered the same if not more. So that isn't anything special, it does not impress me.

Your team was favored to make it to the Superbowl this season, I'd hope the fans at the stadium are cheering and making noise.

The point is, like many of your own locals have stated, your city for the most part is bandwagon fans. They break out the merchandise and the noise when the team is doing good. When it is not, you are no where to be found. I'm sure some are, so I don't disagree with you there, I'm saying for the most part.

In fact, since 92, I bet you weren't around much:

RECORDS OF NFL TEAMS (1992-present)

Team W L T Pct. Division Titles
Pittsburgh 141 82 1 .632 8
Green Bay 141 83 0 .629 6
Denver 138 86 0 .616 3
Kansas City 132 92 0 .589 4
Miami 129 95 0 .576 3
Minnesota 129 95 0 .576 4
San Francisco 129 95 0 .576 6
Philadelphia 125 98 1 .560 4
New England 124 100 0 .554 7
Dallas 123 101 0 .549 6
Indianapolis 122 102 0 .545 4
Tennessee 120 104 0 .536 3
Jacksonville 94 82 0 .534 2
Buffalo 116 108 0 .518 2
New York Giants 112 111 1 .502 2
Tampa Bay 112 112 0 .500 2
Baltimore 78 81 1 .491 1
Seattle 108 116 0 .482 2
Oakland 107 117 0 .478 3
St. Louis 107 117 0 .478 3
Carolina 82 94 0 .466 2
San Diego 103 121 0 .460 3
Atlanta 101 122 1 .453 2
New York Jets 99 125 0 .442 2
Washington 98 125 1 .440 1
New Orleans 97 127 0 .433 1
Chicago 96 128 0 .429 2
Detroit 91 133 0 .406 1
Cleveland 66 110 0 .375 0
Arizona 79 145 0 .353 0
Cincinnati 79 145 0 .353 1
Houston 18 46 0 .281 0

Ambridge
01-27-2006, 05:45 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Billdemart/seattleqbs.jpg

Since you brought up Brokeback Mountain

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Dilfer isnt even a seahawk anymore... that is f*ckin gay. I wonder who the homo was that took the time to make that shit?

Go steelers! In cower we trust

seahawksfan
01-27-2006, 05:55 PM
You obviously didn't read this great and simply hilarious article:

http://post-gazette.com/pg/06025/643760.stm
[/B]

All I can offer in response to the article is that it simply defies reality. A snapshot taken from passengers on a ferry run does not reflect how enthusiastic this city and region is about the Seahawks getting to the SB. The reason why #12 was retired by the Seahawks in 1984 is because they wanted to honor the fans for their undebatable support of the team. The support has continued through some dire times when the Seahawks had ownership woes. The key measure is how fans support their team when times are tough, not when they're great. Our fans have been incredibly loyal, even to a fault. Not unlike Steeler fans. This is the major reason for my hanging out at this forum. You guys are passionate about your team. I respect that as I hope you respect my support for the Seahawks. I'm not a homer whereby I'm blind (that will come next week when the smack starts!) to the fact that either team has a great shot at winning the SB. If you want to take something from the article, understand that this region is incredibly verdant and offers many year-round recreational opportunities. It's a great place to live and visit. The next time the Steelers come out you guys should come and suport your team. I'll buy you a beer.

Ambridge
01-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Dilfer isnt even a seahawk anymore... that is f*ckin gay. I wonder who the homo was that took the time to make that shit?

Go steelers! In cower we trust

Get a sense of humor Francis!! :rolleyes:
Everyone's aware Dilfer is no longer in Seattle and that picture has been making the message board rounds the last past week.

seahawksfan
01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/Billdemart/seattleqbs.jpg

Since you brought up Brokeback Mountain

This is hilarious. IROTFLMAO. You have way to much time on your hands. Man, you're the first Steeler fan to reveal how really attractive you find our past and current QB's. I hope the last, too. LOL.

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Hasselbeck has nice fasique... perfectly built for the quarterback position...

Go Steelers!:bouncy: cant wait for feb 5th:bouncy:

Ambridge
01-27-2006, 06:06 PM
This is hilarious. IROTFLMAO. You have way to much time on your hands. Man, you're the first Steeler fan to reveal how really attractive you find our past and current QB's. I hope the last, too. LOL.

It's all in good fun.

seahawksfan
01-27-2006, 06:09 PM
It's all in good fun.

I agree. :cheers:

u-cant-pinch-a-lofa
01-27-2006, 06:09 PM
I live in a small college town, Ellensburg, WA, and after all of us here changed our skivies at the end of the panthers game in disbelief, the town was booming everywhere with fireworks and screams. If you can imagine a 30 yr build up of emotion when they are finally going to the super bowl exploding at once across the state. So this whole "seahawk fans are few and far between and have no passion like us purist steeler fans" needs to be put to rest people. You have no idea what it's like to wait this long; granted it really almost makes hawk fans more passionate about this years super bowl...it's our first one ever!

steelermaniac
01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
I live in a small college town, Ellensburg, WA,

Go Wildcats!!!!

u-cant-pinch-a-lofa
01-27-2006, 06:21 PM
knowledgable steeler friend:busted:

shevdog
01-27-2006, 07:59 PM
In western PA, football is life, so of course we've got it plastered everywhere you turn. The effects can even be strongly felt 300 miles away over here in the Philly area.

Seattle just ain't a football town. That's fine. I love Seattle for creating one of my great addictions... Star Bucks!

Thank you Seattle!

VegasStlrFan
01-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Sure Seahawk mainia is running wild right now and on Feb 6th it'll be the suicide rate running wild!

3 to be 4
01-27-2006, 11:05 PM
You don't even see much about the Seahawks on the "home" page of their abc network TV station: http://www.kirotv.com/index.html

The only article is about ticket scalping further down the page. But what headline pops out at you? The fact that they passed a Gay Rights Bill. :dang:

As opposed to Black and Gold, the Seahawks represent all the colors of the rainbow:

Senate Passes Gay Rights Bill

POSTED: 8:21 am PST January 27, 2006
UPDATED: 12:16 pm PST January 27, 2006

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- A gay civil rights measure passed the state Senate on Friday, a major victory for gay rights activists who have watched the measure fail in the Legislature for nearly 30 years.

The bill passed on a 25-23 vote, with a lone Republican joining majority Democrats.

The measure adds "sexual orientation" to a state law that bans discrimination in housing, employment and insurance. Sixteen states have passed similar laws for gays and lesbians; six of those states have passed laws for transgendered people.

Sen. Bill Finkbeiner, R-Kirkland, was the lone Republican to endorse the measure, a year after it lost by just one vote in the Senate. Two Senate Democrats voted against the measure.

Because the bill was amended this week in the Senate, it now goes back to the House, which has said it would agree with the changes. It could be on Gov. Chris Gregoire's desk by the end of the day, and the Democratic governor is expected to sign it into law.

The measure passed the House last week on a 60-37 vote, with six Republicans joining 54 Democrats in supporting the bill.

http://www.kirotv.com/politics/6497240/detail.html

I guess this gives new meaning to the term "Smashmouth"

3 to be 4
01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I live in a small college town, Ellensburg, WA, and after all of us here changed our skivies at the end of the panthers game in disbelief, the town was booming everywhere with fireworks and screams. If you can imagine a 30 yr build up of emotion when they are finally going to the super bowl exploding at once across the state. So this whole "seahawk fans are few and far between and have no passion like us purist steeler fans" needs to be put to rest people. You have no idea what it's like to wait this long; granted it really almost makes hawk fans more passionate about this years super bowl...it's our first one ever!

30 year build up. passion. exploding. Yup. Sounds Gay to me.

3 to be 4
01-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Don't get me wrong...we have incredibly devoted fans. Just not every single person in the city is...well because a lot of people who live in Seattle...are still homers from where ever they came form before Seattle. That's all. LIke the rest of the country...when we win the SB next week....everyone will know we are for real.

Go 'Hawks!!!

hom-ers. bad ass. obsessed with cleanliness. bleeding. educated.

Yup. Sounds Gay to me.

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 06:07 AM
maybe.......I....went too far.