PDA

View Full Version : What Does Tomlin Say Now?

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately, Coach T has blown his wad already. There's nothing left to say. He's damaged his creditibilty by making these Patton-esque speeches that have no effect.

Clearly, MAJOR painful changes HAVE to be made now. The talk must be through action now - words are lost on this team. BA, Ligasheky, Zierlien, etc... :mad:

MACH1
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
He said we sucked in all three phases of the game.

Bobby_Walden
12-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I agree with you. Talk is cheap, he got exposed. Never make noise and puff up if you don't mean it.

He would have been better off making changes and sitting guys and saying nothing.

He just learned a valuable lesson.

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:46 PM

And we did...I like Tomlin and I expect that he will be here for a long time. He will learn from this and hopefully has the support to make the coaching and player changes necessary to right the ship.

Vincent
12-10-2009, 11:47 PM
Unfortunately, Coach T has blown his wad already. There's nothing left to say.

Before he says anything he needs to wipe the snot off his face.

SteelerEmpire
12-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Nothing much to say now except.... "it's over ".....

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Before he says anything he needs to wipe the snot off his face.

:chuckle: ...and then knock the snot outta a few peeps in that locker room.

Shea
12-10-2009, 11:51 PM

Yes he did.

And I also noticed that his eyes had a saddness and fatigue about them that I've never seen before.

People can say the team has lost heart, but I'm not seeing it in Tomlin.

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:51 PM

It appears that it was over weeks ago...we just didn't know it yet. The team has playing poorly most of this season. The Denver game (maybe the Titans) was the only game that looked at all like a Superbowl Champ!

FacemeIke
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
What was he supposed to say 3 weeks ago? He said what he thought would fire the team up. Now I dont think theres much left to say other then we are playing for next season. I'm not sure where we improve exactly on the field other then getting our reserve secondary guys more field time. I think where we really make strides in improving is on the sidelines replacing some deadweight.

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Yes he did.

And I also noticed that his eyes had a saddness and fatigue about them that I've never seen before.

People can say the team has lost heart, but I'm not seeing it in Tomlin.

No, Mike hasn't lost heart. But, does the team believe in him, his coaches, and their decisions?

Psyychoward86
12-10-2009, 11:53 PM
i dont blame him for his "unleash hell" speech. That's the first time he EVER implied that something WILL happen. He had to try pushing that type of philosophy into his players. I cant blame him for that

eafratitpm3
12-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Now hold on guys/gals I saw some changes this evening, let me elaborate:

1. We gave up 7 sacks to the worst D in the league, actually second worst, I think we have taken over last place officially with this performance.
2. He had 6 different guys returning punts and kickoffs.
3. Our Offense was changed to score ZERO Touchdowns.
4. We changed the Browns rushing TD's to 1 for the whole FFFing year.
5. We officially changed not having any heart.
6. We actually checked the ball down to the back one time, even though the Cleveland defense had their ears pinned back.
7. We changed our STs, Jeff Reed was 2-2.
8. We changed our chance of defending our SB crown.
9. WOW! Now that I look back on it we did do a lot of changing.
10. OH, I almost forgot we changed the Cleveland Browns (the only AFC team that was officially eliminated from playoff contention BEFORE the game) record to 2-11.

I guess that wasn't the kind of changes I was thinking about when Tomlin said he was making changes this week. That's two weeks in a row that I thought he meant one thing but it turns out he meant something totally different. I just can't get a read on this Coach.

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:54 PM
What was he supposed to say 3 weeks ago? He said what he thought would fire the team up. Now I dont think theres much left to say other then we are playing for next season. I'm not sure where we improve exactly on the field other then getting our reserve secondary guys more field time. I think where we really make strides in improving is on the sidelines replacing some deadweight.

#1 - motivational talk is better left in the locker room & practice field
#2 - talk is cheap...I don't think that some of the players are buying into some of the decisions made by the coaching staff and have lost some confidence in the "plan"

Glace
12-10-2009, 11:56 PM
What does Tomlin say now?

Well...he says "uhh" a lot....a LOT. Even in the middle of sentences...sometimes every other word.

Just picking Coach T...It's just funny.

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:56 PM
i dont blame him for his "unleash hell" speech. That's the first time he EVER implied that something WILL happen. He had to try pushing that type of philosophy into his players. I cant blame him for that

I understand and agree. But, those speeches are for high schoolers. These guys need to be motivated by sitting the bench if they can't get the job done. Of course, that threat lost steam. Now what?

murghkhor
12-10-2009, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Be4X3rLUE

SteeleReign
12-10-2009, 11:58 PM
What does Tomlin say now?

Well...he says "uhh" a lot....a LOT. Even in the middle of sentences...sometimes every other word.

Just picking Coach T...It's just funny.

Haha...yeah, he does. But, I admire that because I think he's carefully measuring his words so that he doesn't say something he shouldn't......sorta like...."we're gonna unleash............well, nevermind

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Be4X3rLUE

Well, he certainly meant it...but his players didn't get on board...

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 12:01 AM
im sure he will say we lost to a really good team with a great coach....

:doh:

"we will go back to the drawing board"

"still 3 games to be played"

"these men will not give up"

"come out fighting like their jobs and pride is on the line"

"we are not a cold weather team, and its about time the rooneys consider a dome and artificial turf"

"some cheerleaders may help energize the crowd"

"arians has no clue about what steelers football is all about"

*oops... scratch the last one (or 3... or 2 of the 3)*

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:03 AM
im sure he will say we lost to a really good team with a great coach....

"we will go back to the drawing board"

"still 3 games to be played"

"these men will not give up"

"come out fighting like their jobs and pride is on the line"

"arians has no clue about what steelers football is all about"

*oops... scratch the last one*

:toofunny:

MaidenIndiana
12-11-2009, 12:04 AM
What does he say now?.....Hopefully it's something to the effect that everybody,including coaches, are playing for their freaking jobs next year!:banging:

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
"Back to the lab"

FacemeIke
12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
#1 - motivational talk is better left in the locker room & practice field
#2 - talk is cheap...I don't think that some of the players are buying into some of the decisions made by the coaching staff and have lost some confidence in the "plan"

You might be onto something with #2. I havent agreed with some of the moves and the one I disagreed with the most was release A. Harrison to bring back Woods for 1 week only to move Woods back to the PS again. Thats all I could think about when that fumble was taken away from the holding penalty. If the poor decision to cut Harrison isnt made then maybe there is no holding penalty and maybe we recover the fumble and its a different game. Butterfly effect from one poor decision to cut him.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I understand and agree. But, those speeches are for high schoolers. These guys need to be motivated by sitting the bench if they can't get the job done. Of course, that threat lost steam. Now what?

I agree that he needed to say something to motivate the players. Some say that it should be done in the locker room. Don't be that naive to think that it has not been said. There is nothing high school about what he did. Publicly calling out your team to respond is not a bad thing. Sitting guys is not bad either, but who do you have left? You need to win a game. Play the guys that give you the best chance of doing that, which is what he did. I did not see too many new faces out there tonight.

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:15 AM
What does he say now?.....Hopefully it's something to the effect that everybody,including coaches, are playing for their freaking jobs next year!:banging:

How 'bout next WEEK!:mad:

Stang909
12-11-2009, 12:19 AM

No there are still 3 more games this year. Sure there are no playoffs this year but it would sure be nice to see the Steelers go out fighting and playing with some heart.

Now its all about PRIDE. That should be all he needs to say.

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I agree that he needed to say something to motivate the players. Some say that it should be done in the locker room. Don't be that naive to think that it has not been said. There is nothing high school about what he did. Publicly calling out your team to respond is not a bad thing. Sitting guys is not bad either, but who do you have left? You need to win a game. Play the guys that give you the best chance of doing that, which is what he did. I did not see too many new faces out there tonight.

Those speeches work for teams that understand and agree with the plan. Clearly, there are some/many that don't on this team. Again, I don't agree that those speeches have any measurable affect on a professional athlete. How many of those speeches have you heard Beli-cheat give? Dungy?

Also, you say to "play the guys that give us the best chance to win." Then, you say that you didn't see too many new faces tonight........uhhh.....we lost......so, maybe he didn't put the best players out there....

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:21 AM
No there are still 3 more games this year. Sure there are no playoffs this year but it would sure be nice to see the Steelers go out fighting and playing with some heart.

Now its all about PRIDE. That should be all he needs to say.

Sorry...that's BS....every game we played from week 1 should have been about pride! Their back's were against the wall and there was no pride, no heart....

Stang909
12-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Sorry...that's BS....every game we played from week 1 should have been about pride! Their back's were against the wall and there was no pride, no heart....

How can you say BS. These are grown men getting their asses handed to them. There is nothing left for them this season but to regain PRIDE.

Steeler
12-11-2009, 12:26 AM
This team has no haert and I can't ever remember that being the case with the Steelers. We are like the Lions out there. Sorry, worse than the Lions. We are the worst team in the NFL.

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:27 AM
How can you say BS. These are grown men getting their asses handed to them. There is nothing left for them this season but to regain PRIDE.

Really? Do you think Tomlin telling the players that "it's all about pride now" is gonna make a difference?! If that is what it takes to get this team motivated we are in bigger trouble that I thought!

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:29 AM
This team has no haert and I can't ever remember that being the case with the Steelers. We are like the Lions out there. Sorry, worse than the Lions. We are the worst team in the NFL.

You may want to cut back on the hyperbole a tad...:wink02:

stillers4me
12-11-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't know what else could possibly motivate them more. We were playing for the season and against a 1-11 team. The Browns no less.

As shitty as we fans feel, I sure hope they feel even worse. If that's waht it take, so be it.

Stang909
12-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Really? Do you think Tomlin telling the players that "it's all about pride now" is gonna make a difference?! If that is what it takes to get this team motivated we are in bigger trouble that I thought!

I'm not saying it will make a difference, not much will make a difference with this team, but that is all he needs to say. Obviously nothing else has worked with them. The chance to squeak into the playoffs sure didn't motivate them so maybe its time to get personal.

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm not saying it will make a difference, not much will make a difference with this team, but that is all he needs to say. Obviously nothing else has worked with them. The chance to squeak into the playoffs sure didn't motivate them so maybe its time to get personal.

Honestly...I think he needs to walk into practice and not say a damn word....walk around the room and stare at each player with the most pissed off look he can muster - maybe study Cowher a little first. Then grab a few playbooks, rip a couple nameplates off of some doors (you guess which ones) and storm outta the locker room.

Talk is dead.

Stang909
12-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Honestly...I think he needs to walk into practice and not say a damn word....walk around the room and stare at each player with the most pissed off look he can muster - maybe study Cowher a little first. Then grab a few playbooks, rip a couple nameplates off of some doors (you guess which ones) and storm outta the locker room.

Talk is dead.

You don't talk and it does get the point across that he is disappointed, but I don't think thats what we need, the players already know that. If he doesn't talk, IMO, it shows that he gave up on them.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Those speeches work for teams that understand and agree with the plan. Clearly, there are some/many that don't on this team. Again, I don't agree that those speeches have any measurable affect on a professional athlete. How many of those speeches have you heard Beli-cheat give? Dungy?

Also, you say to "play the guys that give us the best chance to win." Then, you say that you didn't see too many new faces tonight........uhhh.....we lost......so, maybe he didn't put the best players out there....

So who were the best players that should have been out there? I'm not too sure that Beli-cheat and Dungy had 5-game losing streaks after winning a Super Bowl. I'm just saying that in a short week, who are you going to put out there, and when is the right situation to get them out there? Your defense is already beat up and there is not much depth. Offensively, receivers can't break man coverage, so is the answer Limas Sweed? Cmon. You'll see more of those new faces now because there's not too much left to play for other than spoiler for a few others and to see what you may have as depth.

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:39 AM
You don't talk and it does get the point across that he is disappointed, but I don't think thats what we need, the players already know that. If he doesn't talk, IMO, it shows that he gave up on them.

???? You ever notice Cowher's glare? I think the point got across loud and clear. Heck! My mom scared me more when she didn't talk because I KNEW she was REALLY pissed off!!

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:40 AM
So who were the best players that should have been out there? I'm not too sure that Beli-cheat and Dungy had 5-game losing streaks after winning a Super Bowl. I'm just saying that in a short week, who are you going to put out there, and when is the right situation to get them out there? Your defense is already beat up and there is not much depth. Offensively, receivers can't break man coverage, so is the answer Limas Sweed? Cmon. You'll see more of those new faces now because there's not too much left to play for other than spoiler for a few others and to see what you may have as depth.

I agree with you. But, my point is that Tomlin made the comment & then didn't follow through. I think that hurts his credibility to a degree.

Stang909
12-11-2009, 12:42 AM
???? You ever notice Cowher's glare? I think the point got across loud and clear. Heck! My mom scared me more when she didn't talk because I KNEW she was REALLY pissed off!!

Well I hope they would know already know that he is pissed off. If they don't there is no hope. Remember Cowher's glare was always followed by spit (lol) and someone getting chewed out. Plus that chin could reach out and punch you.

SteeleReign
12-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Well I hope they would know already know that he is pissed off. If they don't there is no hope. Remember Cowher's glare was always followed by spit (lol) and someone getting chewed out. Plus that chin could reach out and punch you.

:thumbsup: Very true...maybe Tomlin needs a chin implant...:chuckle:

Stang909
12-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Ok just saw this on Santonio Holmes' facebook

Tonight was a tough loss! Pain runs deep but Pride last forever! Gotta continue to fight like the champs we are! (From holmes channel on http://mogotxt.com )

So maybe playing for pride will have some effect.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-11-2009, 01:05 AM
I agree with you. But, my point is that Tomlin made the comment & then didn't follow through. I think that hurts his credibility to a degree.

I hear what you are saying, and I know that we as Steelers fans hate to see what has happened to this team. It is something that we are not used to, but it happens. I think his credibility only takes a hit with the fans, because fans have all the answers (fire this person, sit these guys, etc., and the list goes on and on). We also have the best coaching job in the world. We get to coach from our recliners and from the stands. I think that the guys in the locker room know that they have a good coach, and he's a competitor. He's not Bill Cowher and he is not going to be. We will, however see how and if they bounce back after this season after whatever changes they make. When you go from the penthouse to the outhouse, let's see how you pick yourself back up. That is a good measure for coach. Some nay-sayers are those same people who were totally up in arms when Tomlin was hired, but praised him and were on the wagon when they won the Super Bowl, but have secretly waited for something like this to happen to say, "I told you so". Well, let's wait and see. There is a reason why we've only had 3 head coaches over the last 40+ years, and those guys had their bad seasons too. This team has always played best when they have had a chip on their shoulder. They have not played well after winning Super Bowls. Unfortunately it is a cycle for this team. It's a heck of a lot tougher playing as the hunted than as the hunter, and they have lost their edge. Hopefully we can find some success here in these last few games.

stlrtruck
12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Tomlin needs to show up at his next press conference with duct tape over his mouth! And sit there while reporters throw question after question at him - and DO NOT remove the duct tape!

The_WARDen
12-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok just saw this on Santonio Holmes' facebook

Tonight was a tough loss! Pain runs deep but Pride last forever! Gotta continue to fight like the champs we are! (From holmes channel on http://mogotxt.com )

So maybe playing for pride will have some effect.

yeah, the #21 pick instead of the #11 pick.