PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall

Carolina Steelers
12-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Do you guys think hes our RB of the future? I like what he has shown but sometimes he doesnt get enough touches. Parker will be gone he'll want to much money and Moore isnt the answer. I still would like a power back. I miss Bettis

casteeler
12-10-2009, 10:45 PM
toby gerhart .... pleeeeease?

supa_fly_steeler
12-10-2009, 10:46 PM
what the ****?

barring any injuries.... of course

Rick5895
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I think Mendy is our RB of the present and future. There needs to be a comitment to the run, which we don't have and a good oline surge. he didn't have either tonight. Or most nights for that matter.

Nadroj 20
12-10-2009, 10:47 PM

Whats wrong with mendenhall? why would you want to draft a RB first round which is more then likely where gerhart would go?

D line or secondary with the first pick or im pretty upset.

Shoes
12-10-2009, 10:48 PM
..............he sucks too :chuckle:

T.Richardson
12-10-2009, 10:50 PM
I like him, but i hate the "he didnt get enough carries" comments. he averaged 3 yards a carry on 15 carries. In hindsight, there should have been more passing plays.

Vincent
There is nothing "wrong" with Mendenhall. He is a warrior. He is being wasted by a pathetic OC. And the HC is standing by blinded by headlights.

This offense has as much talent as I have seen in half a century. Unfortunately it is in the hands of tools.

43Hitman
I had a feeling we were in trouble when on our first 3rd and 1 we went in a shotgun formation and got sacked. Then did the same thing the next drive, but this time they figured Ben didn't need a protector in the back field. Piss poor in my opinion all the way around. It seemed we made no adjustments, and that is amateurish.

Atranox
What in the hell, are you kidding me? Mendenhall has been the ONE bright spot on our offense. It's nice seeing a RB back there who can break tackles. He's had no blocking to work with during the past few games and virtually no touches - but he's looked good. He did miss a few reads tonight...but lets keep things in perspective - this is also his first year starting.

Plus, he's excellent at pass blocking and a pretty good receiver (minus his awful drop tonight).

Nighthawk
12-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Do you guys think hes our RB of the future? I like what he has shown but sometimes he doesnt get enough touches. Parker will be gone he'll want to much money and Moore isnt the answer. I still would like a power back. I miss Bettis

Yes I do, but it's hard to run when you can't get holes opened up.. That being said as our O-Line has improved, I still think it's our biggest weakness on the offensive side. I don't know if it's a coaching or the personnel on the line...

SteelerEmpire
The same O-line that allowed the QB to be sacked "8 times" (by the cleveland browns) also did not allow Mendenhall to do anything...

casteeler
Whats wrong with mendenhall? why would you want to draft a RB first round which is more then likely where gerhart would go?

D line or secondary with the first pick or im pretty upset.

that was a key drop plus parker SUCKS it's time for some downhill running since bwn has 2 seconds to throw the ball

Steelerroy
I think Mendy is a stud but for some reason Tomlin and especially that jackass Arians refuse to use him.From all I've seen he can run,block and has good hands(i know he dropped one tonight but he tried to run before catching) why would we want anyone else.You can't teach those cut moves he has.

TX Steelerfan
12-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm confident Mendenhall can be our all-purpose back. He was a good pass catcher at Illinois. The key is figuring out how to use him as a feature back, regardless of down, and still limit his carries to keep him fresh.

Steeler
12-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Parker is crap and Mendy is good, good not great. I like Redman.

Nadroj 20
12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
that was a key drop plus parker SUCKS it's time for some downhill running since bwn has 2 seconds to throw the ball

Ok one drop and you dont like parker in a solid backup role and we also have moore :doh: once again IMO we have other needs to be addressed

steelerchad
12-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Mendy has been the most pleasant surprise of all this year. He put a running game back in our arsenal. He didn't play in 3 games and still has about 1000 yards this year with 3 games to go. His per carry avg. is around 5 per, which is near the top in the league. Except Chris Johnson who has a 6+ unbelieveable. He dropped an easy pass tonight, it was a mental drop, ran before he caught it. But so did Heath and he's paid to catch and has the best hands on the team.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-10-2009, 11:03 PM
I think that Mendenhall and Moore are a very good tandem. Willie is probably out of here and equally writing his ticket out of football. I don't see him being effective anywhere else in the NFL world of "What have you done for me lately". The offense needs to decide on what its identity is going to be. I don't think that you can have a power back as your feature guy and try to throw the ball all over the place. We were more effective when we were able to throw the ball off of play action and change the pace by going no huddle from time to time. Right now we don't control the clock and we see where that has put us. It puts one hell of a strain on the defense. You want to unleash "hell", give those guys some rest on the sidelines. There is no way that you can play an aggressive type of defense and be on the field series after series because you've gone 3 and out with your back against the wall in your own territory.

GodofGridiron
12-10-2009, 11:05 PM
The same O-line that allowed the QB to be sacked "8 times" (by the cleveland browns) also did not allow Mendenhall to do anything...

Surely u cant put on the responsibility of those sacks on the O line....There was a few times Ben had time to check down on every receiver and then some. You cant expect these lineman to hold of rushers for 5 secs. Ben makes a lotta huge plays by buying time but he also takes a lotta punishment and sacks because of his propensity to try and make big plays. Him holding the ball as long as he does makes the O Line look much worse than they really are. They arent the best, but they sure arent even close to being the worst.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Mendenhall will be the starter next season and Moore the 3rd down back, but in reality....the Steelers dont run the ball that much anyways to really invest a lot in a RB. These Steelers are a passing team.

pepsyman1
12-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Generally, I like Mendi. My only concern is that sometimes he seems to dance a little to much and start running sideways and he's not quite fast enough to get around the corner. He'll break free, but never quite get any real yardage out of it. I'd rather see him just drop his shoulder and pound it at that point. Part of that is the fact that he's not getting much lead blocking. (can anyone say "WHERE'S THE FULLBACK?) I think if he gets some blocking and the opportunity to run downhill he'll be fine.

SteelerEmpire
12-10-2009, 11:10 PM
I think the cold kind of got to Mendenhall as well.... he was not making good decisions in his running directions tonight...

Bluedust
12-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Mendy's been impressive, I have no worries over him.

Well I did with his fumbles, but he hasn't fumbled lately, so it looks like at least someone was working on improving.

Preacher
12-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Can anyone tell me, When mendy is basically getting the same YPC AND long vs. stuffed runs as Willie P. Why Mendy is a star and Willie P. sucks? Oh that's right, because we don't like a style.

Hilarious.

On to reality. Willie P. will probably be gone. We just don't keep backs headed into their thirties unless their name is Jerome Bettis. So Mendy HAS TO be the future.

As to the coaching... Aren't you all happy Dick LeBeau was able to carry the ENTIRE COACHING STAFF TO THE SB LAST YEAR? (sarcasm).

BlastFurnace
12-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I had a feeling we were in trouble when on our first 3rd and 1 we went in a shotgun formation and got sacked. Then did the same thing the next drive, but this time they figured Ben didn't need a protector in the back field. Piss poor in my opinion all the way around. It seemed we made no adjustments, and that is amateurish.

Exactly!

BlockMonsta
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Fire BA, go back to the days of #35 leading #36.

BlastFurnace
12-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Can anyone tell me, When mendy is basically getting the same YPC AND long vs. stuffed runs as Willie P. Why Mendy is a star and Willie P. sucks? Oh that's right, because we don't like a style.

Hilarious.

On to reality. Willie P. will probably be gone. We just don't keep backs headed into their thirties unless their name is Jerome Bettis. So Mendy HAS TO be the future.

As to the coaching... Aren't you all happy Dick LeBeau was able to carry the ENTIRE COACHING STAFF TO THE SB LAST YEAR? (sarcasm).

I felt Willie should have been playing more, but oh well.

SteelerFanInStl
12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Surely u cant put on the responsibility of those sacks on the O line....There was a few times Ben had time to check down on every receiver and then some. You cant expect these lineman to hold of rushers for 5 secs. Ben makes a lotta huge plays by buying time but he also takes a lotta punishment and sacks because of his propensity to try and make big plays. Him holding the ball as long as he does makes the O Line look much worse than they really are. They arent the best, but they sure arent even close to being the worst.

They share the blame for the sacks along with the WRs who couldn't seem to get open. The OL is also responsible for not being able to run the ball against a terrible Browns run D that was missing Rogers.

GodofGridiron
12-10-2009, 11:25 PM

Hilarious.

Willie has one attribute and one attribute only Preacher..speed. Nothing else. Mendy can make the first tackler miss and he can elude with spin moves and get that extra yard or two. Willie goes down with minimum contact from the defender.

Steelerroy
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I love Willie but Mendy is clearly the better back.Parker can't break tackles and can't catch.I still would like to keep him but I don't think we will.It's obvious he's lost some burst.To bad because he is a good guy and loves being a Steeler.

Angus Burgher
12-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm starting to think that no runningback will ever truly be successful in Pittsburgh. We can barely run the ball against the Browns. I'm not sure if it's bad run blocking or just bad running, but we suck at it. Mendy's had a few big games, but only two of them were really noteworthy.

pepsyman1
12-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm starting to think that no runningback will ever truly be successful in Pittsburgh. We can barely run the ball against the Browns. I'm not sure if it's bad run blocking or just bad running, but we suck at it. Mendy's had a few big games, but only two of them were really noteworthy.

They won't be successful if there isn't a change in philosophy and coaching. At different points this season we've seen the line play well against good teams....at times we've seen us run the ball well...but nothing is consistent and Arians has never had a history anywhere of having a good running game. Barry Sanders wouldn't run well in this scheme. Give me a fullback and an OC that can do different things out of formations that don't telegraph the play please.

Angus Burgher
12-11-2009, 12:46 AM
They won't be successful if there isn't a change in philosophy and coaching. At different points this season we've seen the line play well against good teams....at times we've seen us run the ball well...but nothing is consistent and Arians has never had a history anywhere of having a good running game. Barry Sanders wouldn't run well in this scheme. Give me a fullback and an OC that can do different things out of formations that don't telegraph the play please.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I was watching Chris Johnson run the other day and thought "Damn, I like Mendy but we could have had THIS guy!" Then I considered that, with our Offensive Line and predictable schemes, he wouldn't be half as effective if we had picked him over Mendy.

BTW, I absolutely HATE Chris Johnson but I won't deny that he's one of the best runningbacks in the game.

Steelersfan4life0655
12-11-2009, 01:02 AM
I am excited for Mendenhall for the future! He was the one postive to this years team! He perfected that spin move that gives him the extra yardage!!

micahn31
12-11-2009, 01:29 AM
i like Mendenhall, although i think he trys to dance out of situations too much... i wish he would just put his head down and try to run someone over. im all for toby gerhart, im hoping he has a bad combine workout so he drops to late 3rd or early 4th round so we can have a chance at him after we get some faster corners or a replacement for Hampton... i think Mendenhall could be the future we just need to get rid of bruce arians he is killing us

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Is anyone sick of running the stupid slant route and passing on 3rd and 1??? I am. Mendenhall is going to be good. WE DON"T USE HIM ENOUGH. Who cares if he didn't get good "average" yardage. Thats why you run it to ware down the defense. If wed become a running team again maybe we could be better.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 03:03 AM
Willie has one attribute and one attribute only Preacher..speed. Nothing else. Mendy can make the first tackler miss and he can elude with spin moves and get that extra yard or two. Willie goes down with minimum contact from the defender.

I have heard that a lot... but when I watch the games, I have seen Willie break a number of tackles. I think what people focused on, was Willie being met in teh backfield and not breaking those tackles. But the Bus couldn't do that either.

Galax Steeler
12-11-2009, 03:50 AM
It all starts up front with the offensive line a blocking. When Willie had his good years is when we had blocking up front the same is for Mendenhall we have to block. Mendenhall has another dimention then what Willie had he can break a tackle and get the extra yards.

micahn31
12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Is anyone sick of running the stupid slant route and passing on 3rd and 1??? I am. Mendenhall is going to be good. WE DON"T USE HIM ENOUGH. Who cares if he didn't get good "average" yardage. Thats why you run it to ware down the defense. If wed become a running team again maybe we could be better.

hell yeah especially last night when the ball was just bouncing off the recievers
hands cause it was so cold.

plenewken
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM

Without a FB, Mendy will have a hard time running in the middle and Parker, forget about it.

Corey120120
12-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Fire BA, go back to the days of #35 leading #36.

Exactlly idk wat they dont get:thumbsup:

Corey120120
12-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Arians sucks, sometimes i think he just wants ben to look good. THROWING ON 3 AND 1 DOESNT WORK. hes trying to make ben look like Peyton Manning. And ben is out of shape bad. Mendi is good he can run it good, not like " The Bus" but still good. Arians needs to go and the O line needs a better coach and also the special teams. I mean its bad when your Punter tackles the person, i no he was a LB but still.

Milkman
12-11-2009, 10:52 AM

that would be awesome!

Sharkissle29
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Mendenhall seems to be the only one who cares on this team, the way he fights

BIGWILL90
12-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Without a FB, Mendy will have a hard time running in the middle and Parker, forget about it.

+1. we need a FB, we have always run well with one. Bring someone into fullback or put carey davis or david johnson in there.

supa_fly_steeler
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM

maybe this year, we can have gerhart in the 1st round, then 2 years later, we can have ryan williams as a first round pick.

them im sure your happy, wasting two picks on the same type of player.

AvoidLLoyd95
12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I think that he needs to stop using that spin move so much, he uses it EVERY time he touches the ball. Use it to elude tacklers in the open field, not in the middle of the pile. I like him, but I would like to see him just square it up and hit the hole straight on, not after a spin.