PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin = Barry Switzer?

madtowndrunkard
12-10-2009, 11:17 PM
There are plenty of similarities.

Took over a great team for a HOF coach.

Won a SB in his second season.

Team completely implodes in his 4th season. The writing was on the wall in season 3 though that Switzer was in over his head.

Most consider Switzer's SB trophy to be the property of Jimmy Johnson and the players he coached. One could argue the same with Mike Tomlin and our SB trophy last season. After all that was Bill Cowher's team and staff running Bill Cowher's schemes. This year the offense has clearly taken a different approach and has failed miserably.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of bashing for even bringing this up, but fact of the matter is it's worthy of discussion. Was Mike Tomlin's early success riding on the waves created by Bill Cowher and his staff? Even during Cowhers worst of years he didn't have anywhere near the talent Tomlin has right now.

People bring up the 8-8 season after our 05 SB. The two seasons are not comparable at all....Ben nearly killed him self prior to that season and totally stunk for most of that season and was the primary reason we failed to make the playoffs. Though the team never gave up and finished the season winning 6 of their last 8 games. This year the team has completely fell apart after a solid start and is now arguably the worst team in the league.

With the talent we have you cannot ignore the coaches when looking at blame. We are going down in the history books as the biggest under achievers the NFL has ever seen. You can't blame injuries for losing to the Browns, Raiders, and Chiefs. This season is a total failure on epic proportions.

I seriously do wonder if Mike Tomlin isn't the next Barry Switzer. We'll find out next year. It will be up to Tomlin to prove if he's truly a good coach.

If Tomlin does not fire Arians and the STs' coaches then he's not a good leader...let alone good coach.

Steeler
12-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Mike Tomlin = Barry Switzer?

YES

Vincent
12-10-2009, 11:30 PM
I used to marvel at BS (yes ladies and gentlemen, those are his initials) on the sideline gazing at his surroundings with that vacant expression. I used to yell at the TV "Barry! You're at a football game!! And you're the head coach!". I never got through to him though.

Siffert was another one in Carolina. "George!! Wake up!!. Its over and the people are going home." He used to actually sleep standing up on the sidelines. It was spectacular.

Tomlin is yet another one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2009, 11:33 PM
No, I think Tomlin knew he had the nucleus of a good team and philosopy here, so he didnt blow it up. He didnt impose a 4-3 when he had one of the best 3-4 defenses in football. He didnt mess with the offensive continuity, since he had something relatively successful and progressing.

The thing that will be interesting is if Mike Tomlin believes he has to get back to his coaching roots and look at playing a Tampa-2 defense and having a strong run game (like in Tampa with Dunn and Alstott) and a passing game to compliment it(as with Brad Johnson). I think Tomlin might just decide to now do it his way.

madtowndrunkard
12-10-2009, 11:42 PM
No, I think Tomlin knew he had the nucleus of a good team and philosopy here, so he didnt blow it up. He didnt impose a 4-3 when he had one of the best 3-4 defenses in football. He didnt mess with the offensive continuity, since he had something relatively successful and progressing.

The thing that will be interesting is if Mike Tomlin believes he has to get back to his coaching roots and look at playing a Tampa-2 defense and having a strong run game (like in Tampa with Dunn and Alstott) and a passing game to compliment it(as with Brad Johnson). I think Tomlin might just decide to now do it his way.

Barry Switzer didn't mess with this team either. Switzer was also criticized for being soft and letting his veteran players do what ever they wanted. Switzer let his STs coaches run the show. Switzer was not the leader of his team and wasn't capable of "leading" an NFL team.

Sound familiar?

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Barry Switzer didn't mess with this team either. Switzer was also criticized for being soft and letting his veteran players do what ever they wanted. Switzer let his STs coaches run the show. Switzer was not the leader of his team and wasn't capable of "leading" an NFL team.

Sound familiar?

Nah, I think Tomlin is a man with great leadership qualities, but there is no manual for NFL head coach. I think he is learning that he cant always trust his men to be professionals and take care of business. He is gonna have to find some that will take care of business.

Tomlin promised changes this past week and nothing changed. I think if he further adopts that philosophy in the offseason he will continue to see a downward slide. The man needed to walk the talk.

SteelCityMom
12-10-2009, 11:50 PM
I for one, think it's a little too early to start proclaiming these things. Give the guy a fair shake and let's see how he goes about fixing a bad season.

Edman
12-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Unless Tomlin puts something together in the next year and years afterwards and makes us forget this shitpile of a season, yes he is a Barry Switzer.

SteelerEmpire
12-11-2009, 12:01 AM
The Steeler's head coaches don't get "fired", they only "retire". Better get used to Tomlin, he's only 37.

Glace
12-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I still have faith in Tomlin....it has just unfortunately come to a time when we will find out what he's really made of.

Stang909
12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
The Steeler's head coaches don't get "fired", they only "retire". Better get used to Tomlin, he's only 37.

You sound like a Browns fan, one bad season and already want the coaches head.

SteelerEmpire
12-11-2009, 12:07 AM
You sound like a Browns fan, one bad season and already want the coaches head.

No. I'm not saying I want the Tomlin's head... I'm saying that those that do need to get used to him... he's not going anywhere any time soon...

BlastFurnace
I for one, think it's a little too early to start proclaiming these things. Give the guy a fair shake and let's see how he goes about fixing a bad season.

While I agree with you for the most part....Tomlin must stop with his empty promises of change if he isn't going to make any. He said last week that there would be lineup changes and they were barely noticable.

tony hipchest
post #1,2,3, & 8 are pure shit.

*FLUSH*

and if the authors of said posts dont like it, they can take it up with the receptionist on the way out.

(someone hand me a plunger, please)

X-Terminator
12-11-2009, 12:09 AM
The fact that this is even a question shows, once again, the fickle nature of Steelers fans.

Listen up, people - if the Rooneys didn't fire Cowher after 3 consecutive non-playoff seasons from 1998-2000 or after the 2003 season, which was their 4th non-playoff season in 6 years, then they sure as hell aren't going to fire Tomlin after one bad season coming off a Super Bowl championship. It's NOT how they do business, and it's freaking ridiculous and foolish to even entertain the thought.

EDIT: Here you go, Tony:

http://z.about.com/d/homerepair/1/0/q/-/-/-/flange_plunger.jpg

pepsyman1
12-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I still have faith in Tomlin....it has just unfortunately come to a time when we will find out what he's really made of.

I agree. I think Tomlin is a talented guy and knows his stuff. I'm hoping he takes a good long look at all of this and decides it's time to remake the focus of this team and put people in place to make it happen. He no longer has to worry about breaking up what is already working.

Steeler
12-11-2009, 12:15 AM
We shall see.

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 12:35 AM
The fact that this is even a question shows, once again, the fickle nature of Steelers fans.

Listen up, people - if the Rooneys didn't fire Cowher after 3 consecutive non-playoff seasons from 1998-2000 or after the 2003 season, which was their 4th non-playoff season in 6 years, then they sure as hell aren't going to fire Tomlin after one bad season coming off a Super Bowl championship. It's NOT how they do business, and it's freaking ridiculous and foolish to even entertain the thought.

EDIT: Here you go, Tony:

http://z.about.com/d/homerepair/1/0/q/-/-/-/flange_plunger.jpg

:toofunny: thank you kind sir!

thats one of those heavy duty ones. how did you know a cheapie wooden handle, pink rubber plunger wouldnt suffice?

could it be that this clogged turd stinks from outside? :chuckle:

ricksteelers55
12-11-2009, 12:42 AM
There are plenty of similarities.

Won a SB in his second season.

Team completely implodes in his 4th season. The writing was on the wall in season 3 though that Switzer was in over his head.

Most consider Switzer's SB trophy to be the property of Jimmy Johnson and the players he coached. One could argue the same with Mike Tomlin and our SB trophy last season. After all that was Bill Cowher's team and staff running Bill Cowher's schemes. This year the offense has clearly taken a different approach and has failed miserably.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of bashing for even bringing this up, but fact of the matter is it's worthy of discussion. Was Mike Tomlin's early success riding on the waves created by Bill Cowher and his staff? Even during Cowhers worst of years he didn't have anywhere near the talent Tomlin has right now.

People bring up the 8-8 season after our 05 SB. The two seasons are not comparable at all....Ben nearly killed him self prior to that season and totally stunk for most of that season and was the primary reason we failed to make the playoffs. Though the team never gave up and finished the season winning 6 of their last 8 games. This year the team has completely fell apart after a solid start and is now arguably the worst team in the league.

With the talent we have you cannot ignore the coaches when looking at blame. We are going down in the history books as the biggest under achievers the NFL has ever seen. You can't blame injuries for losing to the Browns, Raiders, and Chiefs. This season is a total failure on epic proportions.

I seriously do wonder if Mike Tomlin isn't the next Barry Switzer. We'll find out next year. It will be up to Tomlin to prove if he's truly a good coach.

If Tomlin does not fire Arians and the STs' coaches then he's not a good leader...let alone good coach.

Let me guess...might also have been Tomlin's fault in 2006 when Cowher was our coach and we finished 8-8 with some ugly loss like one against the Raiders ?

This is happening to every teams somewhere sometimes but to call out the coach you have to be crazy.We won the SB last year and people are already asking him to get fired ? I just dont believe it that guy was a hero a couple of months ago....some people here simply bi-polar.

The good thing is this season will help fix the problems that we still had last year....but come on be realistic Tomlin isnt going anywhere for a while unless he wants to do so.

micahn31
12-11-2009, 01:40 AM
tomlin is a good guy...he knows his stuff and i think his philosophies are good. if he gets back to our "grand dads" steelers i think everything will be fine. next season should be better hopefully Arians and the ST coach will be gone so we can stop this "air it out all the time" offense and the worst ST play ive ever seen. maybe some good defensive back drafting this spring will fix the meltdowns

Preacher
12-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Jeez.

we plug in two new guys in the defense this year, also lose possibly the greatest safety playing the game today, if not one of the greatest safeties to EVER play the game.

We lose another lineman in training camp. Our starting RB is injured again and we plug in the second guy who is going to turn in a 1000 yard season in a shortened season for him.

We have a QB who is playing under a cloud of suspicion and offseason woe.

Amongst all that, we falter, after having two playoffs years and a SB, following the same pattern the Steelers have followed over the last decade.

And yet, Tomlin sucks?

Um... The Bengals bandwagon is southwest about 6 hours, depending on how you drive.

X-Terminator
12-11-2009, 02:32 AM
:toofunny: thank you kind sir!

thats one of those heavy duty ones. how did you know a cheapie wooden handle, pink rubber plunger wouldnt suffice?

could it be that this clogged turd stinks from outside? :chuckle:

Well, did you just want the job done, or did you want the job done right? :chuckle:

Preacher
12-11-2009, 02:33 AM
Well, did you just want the job done, or did you want the job done right? :chuckle:

What in the world you doing up this late? (I'm on west coast time)

vasteeler
12-11-2009, 05:43 AM
wow i knew i shouldnt have come here this morning some of you guys just dont have a clue

plenewken
12-11-2009, 06:37 AM
Mike Tomlin = Barry Switzer?

Hmmm, I start to think you might have a point here.

And for the record, in 2006 we finished the season with 4 wins out of 5 games. Ain't gonna happen this year. I see us losing 2 out of the last 3 games, closing the 2nd half of the season with 7 losses and 1 win.

What's worse than putrid? I can't find a word.

HometownGal
12-11-2009, 06:46 AM
wow i knew i shouldnt have come here this morning some of you guys just dont have a clue

I'm kind of feeling the same way. :horror:

We're in a rut for a lot of reasons and hopefully in the offseason (and draft) some changes can be made to right this once very strong ship. I have complete faith in Mike Tomlin as our HC and one bad season isn't going to deter that faith.

Thank God some of you weren't even a twinkle in your Daddy's eye during Noll's first few seasons.

X-Terminator
12-11-2009, 06:46 AM
What in the world you doing up this late? (I'm on west coast time)

I'm working the midnight shift right now - that's the only time you'll ever see me on the board at 3:30am on a weekday.

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 06:58 AM

We're in a rut for a lot of reasons and hopefully in the offseason (and draft) some changes can be made to right this once very strong ship. I have complete faith in Mike Tomlin as our HC and one bad season isn't going to deter that faith.

Thank God some of you weren't even a twinkle in your Daddy's eye during Noll's first few seasons.

I watched every one of Noll's seasons thank you very much. I even watched the two season before Noll.

Noll inherited a very bad team and had to rebuild from scratch. Tomlin inherited a very good team, won the super bowl with it, and then let it disintegrate in the worst collapse of a Steelers team I've ever seen.

The situations are not comparable. The jury is still out on Tomlin.

HometownGal
12-11-2009, 07:05 AM
I watched every one of Noll's seasons thank you very much. I even watched the two season before Noll.

Noll inherited a very bad team and had to rebuild from scratch. Tomlin inherited a very good team, won the super bowl with it, and then let it disintegrate in the worst collapse of a Steelers team I've ever seen.

The situations are not comparable. The jury is still out on Tomlin.

Geez mesa - no need to get all snarky here. Pardon me if I didn't readily know your age.

Do you really think today's Steelers fans would be patient with the team and its coach even in its rebuilding mode? We just may have the opportunity to see for ourselves in the coming season(s).

Your jury may still be out on Tomlin, but mine isn't.

solardave
12-11-2009, 07:14 AM
Nah, I think Tomlin is a man with great leadership qualities, but there is no manual for NFL head coach. I think he is learning that he cant always trust his men to be professionals and take care of business. He is gonna have to find some that will take care of business.

Tomlin promised changes this past week and nothing changed. I think if he further adopts that philosophy in the offseason he will continue to see a downward slide. The man needed to walk the talk.

I saw Joe Burnett in plenty last night. I wouldn't call that sweeping changes but it's a start. I like Tomlin and think he deserves his chance. The Steelers have only had 3 coaches in the last 4 decades. I don't think he gets fired after the season but I don't think he gets an extension either. Changes need to come. I agree he needs to back up what he is saying.

xfl2001fan
12-11-2009, 07:15 AM
PANIC (I don't have Tony Hippie's flair for it)! too many articles/posts along these lines.

DoubleSh0t
12-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Wow, I thought thought Eagles fans were bad. This is just pathetic. 1 lousy season and all of the sudden we need to fire our HC and start over?

Good luck with that. If you want to blow it up, fine, but don't expect another championship for 10-20 years.

Shellshock
12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Fear is a great motivator and the team must not fear him.

drucifer
12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
Reading some of these "fire Tomlin" posts is like watching a cartoon mechanic, yanking random crap from under the hood.

The_WARDen
12-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Personally, I enjoy reading all the idiotic threads like this one. It replaces the comic section from the newspaper for me.

:popcorn:

drizze99
12-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves..... amazing how many have short term memory loss. Even the great Cohwer's team faltered after SB40.

I still have faith in Tomlin and soon enough he'll make a lot of so-called Steeler fans eat crow!

Barry Switzer..... seriously?

d2609j
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I will be the first to admit, I was in Grimms corner when the steelers were last hiring. But Tomlin has changed my opinion. Winning will do that. Just like losing will bring the backlash. There is no doubt he has to shake up his staff. I truely hope it starts at the OC.

vasteeler
12-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Switzer?:doh:
where do they come from:noidea:

Steeler
12-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Jeez.

we plug in two new guys in the defense this year, also lose possibly the greatest safety playing the game today, if not one of the greatest safeties to EVER play the game.

We lose another lineman in training camp. Our starting RB is injured again and we plug in the second guy who is going to turn in a 1000 yard season in a shortened season for him.

We have a QB who is playing under a cloud of suspicion and offseason woe.

Amongst all that, we falter, after having two playoffs years and a SB, following the same pattern the Steelers have followed over the last decade.

And yet, Tomlin sucks?

Um... The Bengals bandwagon is southwest about 6 hours, depending on how you drive.

How many injuries did the Browns, Raiders and Chiefs have?

Tomlin quote after the game last night: "I liked the fight in the group". HUH???? He is as delusional as some on this forum.

Kvnfaber
12-11-2009, 09:09 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/fire-smoke-girl-12.jpg

steelpride12
12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Well these threads will be on here all offseason....sighhh

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Neither Cowher nor Johnson are Hall of Fame caliber coaches.

stb_steeler
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Exactly HometownGal. If some of the so called fans were around the Noll era they would see first hand it wasnt always cookies an cream. If some were around that at that time they'd understand it like we do.

smokin3000gt
12-11-2009, 03:30 PM

For a good reason.

AllD
12-11-2009, 03:44 PM

Tampa did win a Super Bowl with that scheme. They didn;t do much before or since either.

Rinkleroot
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
How do the Steelers lose to the Brown's, Mike Tomlin that's how!!

brick
12-11-2009, 04:52 PM
thank you.

and last time i checked, we MISSED the playoffs in cowher's last season. so obviously even though the personnel were there, the team wasn't clicking. tomlin came in and turned that around in one season, and then won a SB in his second. yea he inherited that team, but people are willing to write him off after one bad season, coming off a SB? it's amazing how quickly people jump to conclusions, just have to read at some tomlin threads after the SB last season. get real guys, have some faith in your team.