PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Report Card: Game 13 vs. Browns

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Steelers Report Card: Game 13 vs. Browns
GERRY DULAC grades the Steelers' effort in their 13-6 loss to the Browns yesterday:
Friday, December 11, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quarterback - F

It was a miserable start for Ben Roethlisberger, who completed only four of seven passes for 27 yards and was sacked five times before the final series of the first half. All told, he was sacked a season-high eight times. One of the few bright spots came when he managed to get a field goal at the end of the first half by completing three of five passes for 43 yards. He was 18 of 32 for 201 yards.

Running Backs - D

The Steelers made no attempt to control the ball on the ground against the Browns, who allow an average of 152 yards rushing per game. Rashard Mendenhall carried just eight times for 28 yards in the first half, only 12 carries for 40 yards after three quarters and finished with 53 yards. He also had a 17-yard catch-and-run, but he dropped a wide-open pass on third down.

Wide Receiver - C-

Santonio Holmes surpassed 1,000 receiving yards for the season on a 24-yard catch that helped set up a late field goal in the first half, but it was drops in the red zone by Hines Ward and Heath Miller that prevented a possible touchdown. Holmes finished with six catches for 93 yards. Miller had five catches for 59 yards, but he had two drops. Ward had four catches playing with a bad hamstring.

Offensive Line F

Could it get any worse? The Browns had eight sacks, their most in seven years, after getting just 24 in their first 12 games. They had five in the first half, including three on third down in the first quarter when the line failed to make protection changes. And the Steelers had only 44 yards rushing in the first half against the league's 29th-ranked rush defense.

Defensive Line - F

The Steelers gave up 171 yards rushing, the most this season, and had problems again with Joshua Cribbs in the wildcat formation. The Browns rushed for 104 in the first half, including a 37-yarder by Cribbs out of the wildcat. On top of that, Jerome Harrison's 10-yard touchdown run to the corner was the first rushing touchdown by a Browns running back this season.

Linebackers - F

James Farrior missed a big tackle on a 37-yard run by Cribbs, then five plays later took a bad angle and was beat to the corner on Harrison's 10-yard touchdown run. And where was James Harrison, who was blocked out of the play on several big plays? LaMarr Woodley atoned for a facemask penalty with his seventh sack in five games and a batted pass on the same series.

Defensive Backs - D

For a change, the defense kept the big passing plays to a minimum. The longest was a 37-yarder to rookie Mohamed Massaquoi, and the victim was Ike Taylor, who rotated only one series with Joe Burnett. The catch-and-run on third-and-13 set up the Browns' second field goal. Brady Quinn had 81 yards passing in the first half, but finished 6 of 19 for 90 yards.

Special Teams - F

Cribbs had a 55-yard punt return in the first quarter -- longest against the Steelers this season -- that led to a field goal. Tyrone Carter's holding penalty negated a fumble recovery at midfield on a Daniel Sepulveda punt. Mewelde Moore was used as the kick returner because Mike Tomlin wanted a sure-handed receiver in the wind, but he fumbled two attempts that cost the offense field position.

Coaching - F

Tomlin's threat to make changes amounted to playing CB Burnett for a couple of series, which just produced another undesirable pattern of behavior. He didn't even use Burnett after Taylor got beat for another long pass. To run just 12 times in the first half and only 15 times in three quarters against one of the league's worst rush defenses -- and with 45 mph wind gusts -- was inexcusable.

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com.

Steelers' Cumulative Grade Point Average see link
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/pdf/200912/20091211_reportcard.pdf

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09345/1020215-66.stm#ixzz0ZNmhyHE6

Steeldude
12-11-2009, 08:24 AM
tomlin is all talk. anyone get the feeling he is just a good talker? says things you want to hear.

GodofGridiron
12-11-2009, 08:38 AM
tomlin is all talk. anyone get the feeling he is just a good talker? says things you want to hear.

Damn will you ease up.....Mike coached these guys well enough for 2 playoff runs, one resulting in a world championship. Not many teams have a shot at a world championship. And WTF is the deal when your starting pro bowl safety and def end miss a bulk of the season with injuries...the games they did play in (in theyre entirety) we were undefeated. Injuries derailed this season much more than coaching or lack of.

Madden curse is real.

Steeldude
12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
BR still has the same weakness. press the WRs and blitz. BR can't read fast enough.

this is not to say BR is a horrible QB, but are you people finally understanding why brady and manning are ranked ahead of BR?

Steeldude
12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Damn will you ease up.....Mike coached these guys well enough for 2 playoff runs, one resulting in a world championship. Not many teams have a shot at a world championship. And WTF is the deal when your starting pro bowl safety and def end miss a bulk of the season with injuries...the games they did play in (in theyre entirety) we were undefeated. Injuries derailed this season much more than coaching or lack of.

Madden curse is real.

oh so he wasn't all talk? he unleashed hell? he benched some players? talk is cheap.

"Injuries derailed this season much more than coaching or lack of"

so losing a safety a few games and losing the left end caused the defending SB champs to lose to the 3 worst teams in the NFL?

i am not saying it's all tomlin's fault. i realize players and the other coaches are at fault too.

steeltheone
12-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Farrior is not what he used to be. Needs replaced.

Corey120120
12-11-2009, 09:25 AM
take the song people= shit and put steelers where people is.

verks36
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Farrior is not what he used to be. Needs replaced.

sad but soo true

TX Steelerfan
12-11-2009, 09:44 AM
"F"'s all around, except for Woodley and Holmes.

TX Steelerfan
12-11-2009, 09:48 AM
take the song people= shit and put steelers where people is.
I'd say the Steelers "left behind" any and all hopes of a playoff run after the Oakland game, and have left Steeler Nation feeling "sic" enough to just want to take this entire season and "spit it out". Someone remind me of the great Steeler teams of the past "before I forget" how seemingly "diluted" this 2009 version is.

The 2009 Steelers: A "Disasterpiece".

casteeler
12-11-2009, 10:55 AM
th real steelers didn't even show up last night! Mike Tomlin can't bluff his way out pf this one. everyone saying "don't fire tomlin he's given us 2 great years" b.s, he faced ploblems failed miserably to fix the problems and allowed bruce arians to run the offense even after seeing him run the same tired plays that didn't work. The first half of last nights game saw ben sacked 5 times so at the half mike& bruce made some second half adjustments to save the season.... right? I witnessed 3 more sacks 1 field goal and no T.D all we needed was one the worst teams in the leauge managed more than that in the fourth quarter alone.Now unless you guys wanna see a repeat of this we need a change. I wonder if Bill Cower was watching last night.... hint hint!

Angus Burgher
12-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Mike Tomlin was right about one thing. After the Super Bowl, he promised that the 2009 Steelers team would have its own identity, and not be concerned with whatever happened in 2008 or before.

That was very true. I guess we didn't realize at the time that would be a negative thing.

steelreserve
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
F's all around. Exactly what they deserved for that stink bomb of a performance.

The_WARDen
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
th real steelers didn't even show up last night! Mike Tomlin can't bluff his way out pf this one. everyone saying "don't fire tomlin he's given us 2 great years" b.s, he faced ploblems failed miserably to fix the problems and allowed bruce arians to run the offense even after seeing him run the same tired plays that didn't work. The first half of last nights game saw ben sacked 5 times so at the half mike& bruce made some second half adjustments to save the season.... right? I witnessed 3 more sacks 1 field goal and no T.D all we needed was one the worst teams in the leauge managed more than that in the fourth quarter alone.Now unless you guys wanna see a repeat of this we need a change. I wonder if Bill Cower was watching last night.... hint hint!

hahahahhah

:rofl::rofl:

Keep'em coming...seriously, this is great stuff!

Rinkleroot
12-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Yep, I'm tired of his spouting off, Steelers are done with this hack at the helm.

GodofGridiron
12-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Yep, I'm tired of his spouting off, Steelers are done with this hack at the helm.

LOL....seriously.........u think last year was a fluke then ......right ? What injuries did we incur on this team last year ? You can think its a fluke.......fire Tomlin after the season and every football expert and GM will call you a fool.

U dont fire a coach that leads u to two consecutive playoffs, one resulting in a world title in the second year, after one bad season with the injuries we have.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 08:15 PM
The only place I would disagree is with the DB's and LB's.

I think their grades oughta be reversed.

Of course, that isn't saying much.