PDA

View Full Version : Just Curious - Question for Steeler Fans:

Bobby_Walden
12-11-2009, 07:54 AM
3rd and 1.

1) Do you want to see the team: Shotgun, no RB's, 4 and 5 wide ?

OR

2) Do you want to see the team: Fullback, Halfback and 1TE and 2 WR ?

I vote #2.

Which do you like for 3rd and 1.

It's my opinion #1 is not Steeler ball. It's not winning ball either.
When you don't run - you don't set the tone as a physical team. You don't wear out the other defense over the game. You lengthen the game, making more opportunities for turnovers. You don't ice the other offense.

I really liked the 05 offense that mixed it up well. But, were a running team.

My opinion.

What's yours ?

HometownGal
12-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Fullback, Halfback and 1TE and 2 WR ?

Most definitely. As is well known around here, I've supported Arians all season long (well - up until last night's debacle) but I have always been totally opposed to his no fullback in the backfield theory.

plenewken
12-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Most definitely. As is well known around here, I've supported Arians all season long (well - up until last night's debacle) but I have always been totally opposed to his no fullback in the backfield theory.

Now you're talkin' .................

Christian Snyder
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
3rd and 1.

OR

I vote #2.

When you don't run - you don't set the tone as a physical team. You don't wear out the other defense over the game. You lengthen the game, making more opportunities for turnovers. You don't ice the other offense.

My opinion.

What's yours ?
I would've rather seen #2... I've been angry ever since we became a passing team... I always liked it when we were a RUNNING team.:headbutt:

ljk2442
12-11-2009, 09:06 AM
There is no reason to go 5 wide on anything shorter than 3rd and 3... IMO.. who are we... Identity crisis! I disagree... I love seeing ben sling it... but he can do soo.. at such a better rate when we have the run game... Mendenhall can pound the rock.. let him do it.. open holes.. I miss the old PLAY ACTION deep ball to Burress back in 04-05 bens rookie year and our superbowl year. We have the WR's that can get open, PLAY ACTION, use the run to set ben up... hes deadly in that offense

The_WARDen
12-11-2009, 09:19 AM
3rd and 1.

OR

I vote #2.

My opinion.

What's yours ?

on their 3rd position they did run it on 3rd and 2. Mendenhall came up short...leading to the 4th and inches QB sneak.

So, running on 3rd and short wasn't working either..

Atranox
12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm fine with us being a passing team. The best teams in the league right now have one thing in common - they're all passing teams.

However, being a pass-first offense doesn't mean that you need to totally ignore the run. On 3rd and short, there's no excuse not to have your RB & FB in the game. A run up the middle should work 9/10 times. Hell, even if we ARE going to pass, at least put people in the backfield to make it LOOK like we might run. Lining up 5-wide on 3rd and short is absolutely pathetically stupid.

Rick5895
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I like the FB RB TE 2 WR sets, but I also like, in passing situations, TE 3 WR and RB, Still gives the play fake option and also gives the screen to the mix.

SteelStang
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Guys (and Gals), it isn't about the formations or the style, it's the play-calling, lack of creativity, and constantly out-thinking yourself. There is a reason BA was fired from a previous OC job people.....

And while I cannot ignore execution as a problem, especially last night, BA and the offensive coaching staff are the ones who put the game plan and adjustments together so the blame still falls on them.

4xSBChamps
12-11-2009, 09:28 AM
even-though the game has evolved over the last 30 years into pass-n-tab, sooner-or-later, 'FOOTBALL' is about moving the man directly across from you out of the way, and gaining crucial yardage when the game is on the line:
put the biggest, nastiest players in the backfield, and hammer the oppostion into dust, eliminating their will-to-win

KeiselPower99
12-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I like the fact they can throw the ball at will. But really think they need to get back to being a I formation 2 back smash you in the face kinda team. Or at least get that attitude back.

12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I personally prefer option #2, but if you are going to go 4 wides or an empty set, how about running some short routes, instead of everybody running 15 yard patterns. How about getting the ball out on time, instead of holding it, always trying to get the big play. It is not against the rules to get the ball out quickly to the hot read, and move the chains.

stb_steeler
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm fine with us being a passing team. The best teams in the league right now have one thing in common - they're all passing teams.

However, being a pass-first offense doesn't mean that you need to totally ignore the run. On 3rd and short, there's no excuse not to have your RB & FB in the game. A run up the middle should work 9/10 times. Hell, even if we ARE going to pass, at least put people in the backfield to make it LOOK like we might run. Lining up 5-wide on 3rd and short is absolutely pathetically stupid.

If you look at some of the teams that pass all the time and dont run the ball much, they dont seem to be able to run the ball as affective when they need to.