PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Arians is toast... Who do you want?

Vincent
12-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Just wishful thinking here. Who would you prefer to see take over this offense?

steelreserve
12-11-2009, 12:49 PM
the guy who always calls all the fleaflickers.

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 12:51 PM
As much as I'm not an Arians fan he is here to stay.

SteelStang
12-11-2009, 12:52 PM
What? No Ron Erhardt????

In all seriousness, I don't know that LeBeau is untouchable either. Injuries? Age? ya, but our defense was not good this year and we know Tomlin loves the tampa two.

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I really hope we stick with our defense. It can be fixed but this not blocking the weak side linebacker stuff is horrible. YOu can see it coming EVERY TIME.

Bobby_Walden
12-11-2009, 12:55 PM
A guy who is smart enough not to go away from what they cannot stop.

stlrtruck
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
As much as I disliked him in Tampa, but saw how his offense performed in Oakland, I'd take Gruden as the OC.

steelreserve
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Or smart enough not to stick with the plan when it's obviously not working.

That's been my main complaint about Arians (and the coaching staff in general, I guess). We start out trying one strategy, and whether it works or not, that's what we get THE WHOLE GAME.

Parker up the middle not working against the Ravens? Let's not use a different back or throw more screen passes -- we need to keep trying Parker up the middle.

Ben holding on to the ball and getting sacked every other play against the Eagles? Let's not call more quick slants -- we need to keep having him drop back and try to throw 40-yard bombs.

Running game erratic sometimes without the fullback? Let's still never use a fullback.

I mean, come on. We're good enough on offense that just running a straight-up game plan works more often than not, but you need more adaptability than that. I am not talking about running the wildcat plus 20 fleaflickers a game here; I just mean, how about learning from your mistakes every now and then.

Sharkissle29
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
As much as I disliked him in Tampa, but saw how his offense performed in Oakland, I'd take Gruden as the OC.

He would give us some fire too

HometownGal
12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
As much as I'm not an Arians fan he is here to stay.

I wouldn't say he is necessarily here to stay, but I do think Tomlin gives him one more season. Arians has health problems, as well, and may just opt to hang it up anyway.

If Arians is canned, I'd like to see the Steelers give Kenny Anderson a shot at the OC slot and then Batch can take over the QB coaching slot.

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't say he is necessarily here to stay, but I do think Tomlin gives him one more season. Arians has health problems, as well, and may just opt to hang it up anyway.

If Arians is canned, I'd like to see the Steelers give Kenny Anderson a shot at the OC slot and then Batch can take over the QB coaching slot.

I agree, I meant I think he'll get one more season. He needs to adjust when the defense lines up on the weak side. He puts no one over there and keeps trying the same formations. Change it up.

I too think Ken Anderson should get a shot and that Batch would make a great coach.:tt02:

Steeldude
12-11-2009, 01:19 PM
joe walton j/k

i don't want anderson. he hasn't done much with BR. i would hate to see what he lacks as a OC.

billick would never come here as OC. rumors are he is headed to notre dame.

charlie weis is interesting.

i doubt the steelers would ask for chan gailey to return.

isn't mike martz a pass happy OC?

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
joe walton j/k

i don't want anderson. he hasn't done much with BR. i would hate to see what he lacks as a OC.

billick would never come here as OC. rumors are he is headed to notre dame.

charlie weis is interesting.

i doubt the steelers would ask for chan gailey to return.

yeah, definately NO Mike Martz.

meelanova
12-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Welp. After seeing who's in the lead right now (Gailey SMH) and the attitude after losses around here, its no wonder why I dont post much.

OK. So supposed Arians does get fired. So what? They'll bring another OCm he'll call a few bad games. And then guess what?

Yep. You guessed it. Y'all will call for his head too.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat

This routine is getting old folks. Say something new for a change. Damn.

MACH1
12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Welp. After seeing who's in the lead right now (Gailey SMH) and the attitude after losses around here, its no wonder why I dont post much.

OK. So supposed Arians does get fired. So what? They'll bring another OCm he'll call a few bad games. And then guess what?

Lather. Rinse. Repeat

Lets just stay with whats obviously not working then.

SteelGhost
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM

I agree. It would be very interesting to have Chucky as Black & Gold's OC for sure, he could re-ignite the fire and passion they lack now under BA. Maybe he can find another OL coach to fine tune it.

SteelCityMom
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Lots of interesting choices here. If I had to pick ONE that I would like to see the most as OC it would be Gailey. Gruden would be an interesting choice too, wouldn't hate seeing him in the B&G.

My gut tells me though that since the Steelers more often than not like to promote from within that Anderson would get a shot at it.

We'll see, something needs to happen though, that's for sure.

T.Richardson
12-11-2009, 02:00 PM
yeah, definately NO Mike Martz.

well..he did take the rams to a superbowl.. and he coached the best offensive team I haver ever seen (Greatest Show on Turf)...

plenewken
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd like to see Gailey and Anderson being considered for the job but I'm not sure Arians will leave. I'd love to see him go but it's not the style of the Rooneys and Tomlin is probably not convinced either.
Now, if a team makes him an offer as HC we should definitely let him go.

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Maybe the brownies will be interested.

BozMan
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
No Chan Gailey.... Still upset after the way he called the 1997 AFC CG against Denver. After all, isn't part of the argument against Arians is that he gets too enamored with the pass that he forgets about a capable running back playing against a bad run defense?

Regarding Charlie Batch... I like the guy, and think he would be a good QB coach in principle. But it's way too soon for that. He is a teammate and friend with too many guys on this roster, including Ben. It's too much of a risk that he would be too friendly and chummy with his former teammates and too much of a player's coach to be effective. A coach can't be your friend, he has to be, well, a coach.

4xSBChamps
12-11-2009, 02:14 PM

..... in this day-and-age of legalized holding masquarading as pass-blocking, flag-throwing happy Officials, and outlawed bump-and-run, are there any O.C. who isn't 'pass-happy'?

:noidea:

Steeldude
12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
..... in this day-and-age of legalized holding masquarading as pass-blocking, flag-throwing happy Officials, and outlawed bump-and-run, are there any O.C. who isn't 'pass-happy'?

:noidea:

i wish they would call it for harrison. they called some weak holds against the steelers last night. well, they are weak when you compare them to the crap the tackles are allowed to do to harrison.

KeiselPower99
12-11-2009, 02:52 PM
No Mike Martz. No Charlie Weis. No Brian Billick. I have a name to put out there. Norm Chow. The former USC and Titan OC. Maybe Jim Zorn. I know it would never happen but I wouldnt mind seeing Russ Grimm come back.

steeltheone
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM
No Chan Gailey.... Still upset after the way he called the 1997 AFC CG against Denver. After all, isn't part of the argument against Arians is that he gets too enamored with the pass that he forgets about a capable running back playing against a bad run defense?

Regarding Charlie Batch... I like the guy, and think he would be a good QB coach in principle. But it's way too soon for that. He is a teammate and friend with too many guys on this roster, including Ben. It's too much of a risk that he would be too friendly and chummy with his former teammates and too much of a player's coach to be effective. A coach can't be your friend, he has to be, well, a coach.

That game cost us another ring in 1997...We would have wiped out GB

Borski
12-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd love to see Chucky as our OC

Psyychoward86
12-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Shanahanahanahaha

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2009, 04:48 PM
what about jim haslett ? :noidea:

Christian Snyder
12-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree. Gruden is who I want to see in that OC job.

Burghfan58
12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Wait till the axe falls on other head coaches at the end of the season and see what assistants are available.

SteelGhost
12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
what about jim haslett ? :noidea:

He was a DC in Pittsburgh, I'm not sure if he can do a good job as OC.

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 05:38 PM

I don't know if Tomlin will give him one more season or not. I hope not. Even if Tomlin wants to I'm not sure Art Rooney will give Arians more time.

pepsyman1
12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I say bring in Chucky! He's knowledgeable, he's got a lot of fire to his personality and I think he would maximize the offensive talent we have. If nothing else I think he would be creative and if something wasn't working, he'd try different things until something clicked...unlike the moron we currently have.

xbroughneck
12-11-2009, 05:44 PM
What do I hear EVERY NFL show say?

The Steelers have gotten away from STEELER football.

Wanna know who played Steeler football?

Bengals and Raiders. Both teams got physical with the Steelers on both sides of the ball..not just defensively.

Man...can we PLEASE fire Arians now?!?

Yeah, he's smarter than me, knows more about scheming against defenses than me...blah blah blah.

In this recesssion...don't let the door hit ya.

Arians has made the Steelers offense SOFT.

devilsdancefloor
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Lather. Rinse. Repeat

Bruce is that you??? Seriously i have suported teh guy until i am blue in the face, but the writing is on the wall. I dont mind the pass pass pass, but the constant 20+ yard throws. check down please or have a route ben can even check down too. with no RB in the game if a WR doesnt get open sack. Seems like ben is ALWAYS waiting on a route to be run even with wallace running 4.3 speed:noidea::noidea:

back to the thread:wink02:

I would like to see Ken Anderson followed closely by Jim Harbaugh :tt04::tt04:

WindyCitySteelerFan
12-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Someone smart enough to know the players strength on the team.. Why have we not seen more of Dixon? Why can't we have ANY trick plays, where's our version of the wild cat? Where's anything?

Its the same old' same old' Run Run Pass..... Run Run Pass... Hmm... No wonder the Browns beat us...

Dodt
12-11-2009, 06:13 PM
anybody think we could snag a coordinator from either texas or bama.

stillers4me
12-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I would think that the FO's phone would be ringing off the hook this morning with interested candidates.

Shellshock
12-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Gruden is a 5mil a year coach, he will never be OC again.

Steeldude
12-12-2009, 06:09 AM
He was a DC in Pittsburgh, I'm not sure if he can do a good job as OC.

and he wasn't a good DC

revefsreleets
12-12-2009, 06:46 AM
There are dozens of fans on this very board who, according to them, could do a better job.

The plus? They'd probably work on the cheap.
The minus? We'll be 0-16 next year and average .15 points a game (Yes, that IS a decimal point)

steeltheone
12-12-2009, 06:48 AM

Exactly...Thats like saying lets bring in Holmgren as OC. Sometimes people dont think?

revefsreleets
12-12-2009, 06:49 AM
. Sometimes people dont think?

Blasphemy against the board braintrust!!!!!!!

Vincent
12-12-2009, 06:51 AM
A friend of mine had an intriguing suggestion - Jim Harbaugh.

Interesting dynamics. He's a firebrand. He runs a successful program. His offense would be complimentary to our defense. He would be a suitable candidate to replace the young man that has run this storied franchise into the rocks. AND, this is the kicker - his brother runs the rats. That would be spectacular.

SteelerFanInATL
12-12-2009, 08:37 AM

"All In The Family", I like that. It would be interesting to see how Ben would respond to Batch as his QB coach.

stlrtruck
12-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Gruden WAS a 5mil a year coach. And while he's admitted he likes the booth, I'm sure he'd love to come back and coach again. Like other HCs that were not meant for the position, some moved back to coordinator positions and had success.

I believe Gruden could come back the NFL as a successful OC. And with the talent we've got on offense, he could inject this offense with a lot of passion and power.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-12-2009, 09:29 AM
had this conversation with another member....through pm.

Here was my response:

In a perfect world...I would take Chan Gailey or Kevin Gilbride, with the edge to Kevin Gilbride. (Because he likes big linemen and a strong running game)

From the college ranks, I would throw Michigan Coach Rich Rodriguez into the mix...(Go ahead and beat me up over this one!!!) He was a solid O-coordinator and when he went to West Virginia as a Head Coach...he turned them into a Big East power, winning the conference championship 4 times in five seasons.

Rodriquez comes with some criticisms... but he implements a no huddle run-oriented version of the spread offense out of the shotgun that might fit Ben and Mendy's strengths perfectly!!!!

markymarc
12-12-2009, 12:22 PM

I think this would be a very good scenario. Let's see what Kenny and Charlie can do for our offense!

Steelboy84
12-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd definitely want someone who believes in a balanced attack. Someone who truly believes in the run. Ben and the receivers will get theirs, so that's no problem. But someone who is tough minded, RUN IT on 3rd and 1 and not 5 wide.

Gruden is a west coast type, so he's out. Whisenhunt is out too (on my wish list).

Mike Martz is more pass happy than Arians and Ben would get killed more than he does now.

MasterOfPuppets
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
A friend of mine had an intriguing suggestion - Jim Harbaugh.

Interesting dynamics. He's a firebrand. He runs a successful program. His offense would be complimentary to our defense. He would be a suitable candidate to replace the young man that has run this storied franchise into the rocks. AND, this is the kicker - his brother runs the rats. That would be spectacular.
when / if harbaugh ever comes to the nfl, i'd think it would be as a head coach ...

STANFORD, Calif. -- Jim Harbaugh wants to put an end to rumors linking him to other jobs, saying he will remain Stanford's football coach.

Athletic director Bob Bowlsby said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Saturday that Harbaugh signed a long-awaited three-year contract extension through the 2014 season "a while ago."

truesteelerfan
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
No more former QB or WR coaches, give me an OL or RB coach and promote them to our OC. They will promote running the ball, but won't force it down the opponets throat when its not working, such as BA has done with the pass.

gameface75
12-13-2009, 11:14 AM

Amen Amen Amen !

CaseyHamburglar
12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
For what its worth, the commentators in the raiders game mentioned how much Bruce and arians understood each other and how they had such a good relationship

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
For what its worth, the commentators in the raiders game mentioned how much Bruce and arians understood each other and how they had such a good relationship

I'm happy that Arians has found his inner self.

:sofunny:

revefsreleets
12-14-2009, 01:52 PM
There are 2,000,000 people who THINK they can do a better job.

In reality, there are probably only a couple dozen people on the PLANET who MIGHT be able to. That's the reality.

Out of all the names bandied around by the disgruntled masses (and I'm ignoring the impossibly stupid mentions, like Shanahan, who is looking for 10 million, NOT ONE!!!!), Kubiak is the only one I find intriguing, and even THAT is probably unrealistic.

7SteelGal43
12-14-2009, 01:56 PM
assuming ?!!

7SteelGal43
12-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I voted other. Who I'd like to see as our OC is Ken Whisenhunt. Hey, I know he's head coaching the AZ Cards, but the thread just said who do you want as OC.

7SteelGal43
12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
OK, here's a more realistic possibility, how 'bout Mike Mularkey ???

Vincent
12-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Kubiak is the only one I find intriguing, and even THAT is probably unrealistic.

Not a bad idea.

revefsreleets
12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Not a bad idea.

IF he's fired....then he'll be available.

BUT, Steelers fans will HATE him!!!!!!

He's 29th in rush yards this year. They are RIDICULOUSLY unbalanced. They have almost as many COMPLETIONS as they have rush ATTEMPTS. It's something like 483 passes to 341 rushes.

The fact that the Texans are in the top 5 in offense almost every year will mean NOTHING to the Steelersfever braintrust. We MUST run the ball! Even if it doesn't work! We MUST!

solardave
12-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Be serious. Gruden would not take a job as an OC.

solardave
12-14-2009, 02:50 PM

Makes sense. Mularkey did pretty good coming up that way.

revefsreleets
12-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Makes sense. Mularkey did pretty good coming up that way.

Mike Mularkey was as reviled and hated as any other Steelers OC....he was considered WAY TOO gadget oriented.

He's already been promoted to HC and is now the OC at Atlanta. Why would he make a lateral move to a team that already dumped him once?

Anderson? What gives ANYONE the idea that Kenny Anderson is qualified to take over as OC? In fact, how do we know HE'S not part of the current problem?

scsteeler
12-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Charlie Batch as the QB coach would be great. Anderson might turn out to be a great OC.

stlrtruck
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Be serious. Gruden would not take a job as an OC.

In my lifetime I've heard a lot of coaches mutter a lot of things that they wouldn't do and low and behold they did it.

I certainly believe that Gruden would take an OC position should the right situation arise, regardless of his latest comments that he wants to stay in the booth.

ricardisimo
12-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd rather we not take other teams' cast-offs, nor our own, for that matter. Promoting from within has normally proved to be fruitful for this team, so Anderson or Fichtner are distinct possibilities.

Why not give some young hotshot from the college ranks a try? The OC at Boise State (http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=54307&SPID=4061&DB_OEM_ID=9900&ATCLID=578847&Q_SEASON=2009), or the guy at Nevada (http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=56207&SPID=4082&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10000&ATCLID=549131&Q_SEASON=2009) - both seem to have stepped in and gotten results right away, and they certainly like to run, which should make many of us happy.

Asserting that we run all of our OCs out of town with pitchforks does not make it true, folks. A lot of the guys being discussed were run right out of town and into head-coaching positions with other teams. I'm not sure just how universally reviled they could have been while still landing cherry jobs elsewhere.

I'm assuming that what's really happening is that someone, somewhere, at some point in time - probably after a particularly bad showing - demanded the heads of Gailey, Mularkey, Whiz, et al. That means, of course, that all Steelers fans everywhere always revile their current OC. If you don't believe this or even understand it, then clearly you are lacking in the sort of near-omniscient cognitive abilities that a highly select few in this forum possess. You're just going to have to take it on faith.

revefsreleets
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd rather we not take other teams' cast-offs, nor our own, for that matter. Promoting from within has normally proved to be fruitful for this team, so Anderson or Fichtner are distinct possibilities.

Why not give some young hotshot from the college ranks a try? The OC at Boise State (http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=54307&SPID=4061&DB_OEM_ID=9900&ATCLID=578847&Q_SEASON=2009), or the guy at Nevada (http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=56207&SPID=4082&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10000&ATCLID=549131&Q_SEASON=2009) - both seem to have stepped in and gotten results right away, and they certainly like to run, which should make many of us happy.

Asserting that we run all of our OCs out of town with pitchforks does not make it true, folks. A lot of the guys being discussed were run right out of town and into head-coaching positions with other teams. I'm not sure just how universally reviled they could have been while still landing cherry jobs elsewhere.

I'm assuming that what's really happening is that someone, somewhere, at some point in time - probably after a particularly bad showing - demanded the heads of Gailey, Mularkey, Whiz, et al. That means, of course, that all Steelers fans everywhere always revile their current OC. If you don't believe this or even understand it, then clearly you are lacking in the sort of near-omniscient cognitive abilities that a highly select few in this forum possess. You're just going to have to take it on faith.

Whoosh!

The whole point is that NO OC's have ever been run out of town by the fans. Nobody in the Steelers FO really gives a shit about the displays of general ignorance from their fan base...

fansince'76
12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Whoosh!

The whole point is that NO OC's have ever been run out of town by the fans. Nobody in the Steelers FO really gives a shit about the displays of general ignorance from their fan base...

Wrong!

Everyone knows that the Steelers' FO pays attention to everything posted on this board, and moreover, they act on it!

Glad to see things are changing, but I wish these threads would have been allowed to stay up 8 games ago, someone in the Steeler organization may have done something earlier about Arians.

I guess because most people are by nature REACTIVE and do not understand individuals with the intelligence to be PROACTIVE when assessing and discussing our beloved Steelers.

In the future, perhaps Hometown Gal can allow all opinions posted whether they are negative or positive. Wearing rose coloured glasses and being a Steelers fan may be enjoyable for some, I prefer to unveil major problems before they happen.

Again, and hopefully for the last time, I say Bruce Arians go back to CLEVELAND!

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

SteelMember
12-15-2009, 01:03 PM
No Mike Martz. No Charlie Weis. No Brian Billick. I have a name to put out there. Norm Chow. The former USC and Titan OC. Maybe Jim Zorn. I know it would never happen but I wouldnt mind seeing Russ Grimm come back.

I think Jim Zorn would be a good OC. That was his real job in Washington to begin with... until he was setup for failure by spreading him too thin, because the FO didn't land the head coach they really wanted.

There are dozens of fans on this very board who, according to them, could do a better job.

The plus? They'd probably work on the cheap.
The minus? We'll be 0-16 next year and average .15 points a game (Yes, that IS a decimal point)

Here's your money back. :twocents:

Your egotistical, pompous, smug posts add nothing to the conversation.

CargoJon
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Gruden WAS a 5mil a year coach. And while he's admitted he likes the booth, I'm sure he'd love to come back and coach again. Like other HCs that were not meant for the position, some moved back to coordinator positions and had success.

I believe Gruden could come back the NFL as a successful OC. And with the talent we've got on offense, he could inject this offense with a lot of passion and power.
If Gruden wanted to be on the sideline again he's have teams standing in line to make him a HC, not a coordinator.

Unsuccessful coaches come back to be coordinators - LeBeau, Mohrningwig, Cam Cameron, etc. Gruden has had too much success to be put in the same sentence as those guys - he's got a ring as HC for heaven's sake.

SteelMember
12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Gruden has had too much success to be put in the same sentence as those guys - he's got a ring as HC for heaven's sake.

But that was Dungy's ring...

Everybody can change their mind. See Farve.

CargoJon
12-15-2009, 02:31 PM
But that was Dungy's ring...
Yeah and he beat Callahan who brought Chucky's team to the show....

stlrtruck
12-15-2009, 02:34 PM
If Gruden wanted to be on the sideline again he's have teams standing in line to make him a HC, not a coordinator.

Unsuccessful coaches come back to be coordinators - LeBeau, Mohrningwig, Cam Cameron, etc. Gruden has had too much success to be put in the same sentence as those guys - he's got a ring as HC for heaven's sake.

Gruden chose to leave Oakland for Tampa. When his setup failed in Tampa, everyone got a good look at him. That made him less marketable as a head coach. His mantra worked for a few years then between he and the FO they couldn't put together a viable draft to save their arse and the wheels fell off.

I don't think people want chucky as a HC and that's why he went to commentating. But if he recognizes his true genius (being an OC), imo, he'd be welcomed back with arms wide open.

ricardisimo
12-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Whoosh!

There are some things that, no matter how ubiquitous and by this point painfully obvious, still amaze: The jealous spouse is always the one cheating... The most righteous puritanical evangelist is always the one dropping meth at omnisexual orgies... And the guy questioning the intelligence of everyone else on the BB is who?

Yeah, you guessed it... It's the guy who can't even wrap his brain around the general purpose for these forums. It never fails.

CargoJon
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Gruden chose to leave Oakland for Tampa. When his setup failed in Tampa, everyone got a good look at him. That made him less marketable as a head coach. His mantra worked for a few years then between he and the FO they couldn't put together a viable draft to save their arse and the wheels fell off.

I don't think people want chucky as a HC and that's why he went to commentating. But if he recognizes his true genius (being an OC), imo, he'd be welcomed back with arms wide open.
Hell no I don't want him as an OC. The one major drawback in Tampa was his inability to settle on a quarterback - he started "collecting" them...it was almost comical. Last thing I need is for Chucky to come over here and start toying with the QB position....:banging:

d2609j
12-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Ill take "the Wiz" back.

Preacher
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Hell no I don't want him as an OC. The one major drawback in Tampa was his inability to settle on a quarterback - he started "collecting" them...it was almost comical. Last thing I need is for Chucky to come over here and start toying with the QB position....:banging:

Toying with Ben? I don't think so.

Just the opposite. Because he has a good QB, his one weakness will be dealt with before he got here.

I don't know enough about him as an OC to care either way. Just pointing out that your argument against him really doesn't make sense here.

Shea
12-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Toying with Ben? I don't think so.

Just the opposite. Because he has a good QB, his one weakness will be dealt with before he got here.

I don't know enough about him as an OC to care either way. Just pointing out that your argument against him really doesn't make sense here.

Perhaps he was referring to Gruden's past relationships with QB's during his coaching tenure.

Ben in the past hasn't responded well to abrasive in your face coaches that yell and scream, and from what I've seen of Gruden that is exactly his style.

Kinda moot discussion though, because I don't see Gruden coming back unless it's for a HC position.

Shea
12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
And for the ten people that would like to see Weis as the OC probably aren't going to see that come to fruition either.

From my understanding he still has quite a bit of money coming from the contract he signed with Notre Dame. I see him sitting back and collecting some massive money. We might not see him back in football for awhile yet.

Preacher
12-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Perhaps he was referring to Gruden's past relationships with QB's during his coaching tenure.

Ben in the past hasn't responded well to abrasive in your face coaches that yell and scream, and from what I've seen of Gruden that is exactly his style.

Kinda moot discussion though, because I don't see Gruden coming back unless it's for a HC position.

that however, is a very good point. He was discussing the gathering of various QB's.

But you're right, Ben doesn't do well with the yelling and screaming. Anderson would be a good intermediary for that though...hopefully.

And yeah. I agree. I don't see Gruden stepping back to being a OC.

rick723
12-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I voted other, I want me as OC. Run Run if less than 1 on my side of the 50 run again, if 3 or more screen pass to Mendy or Memo

vindrow
12-15-2009, 11:50 PM
I believe that Arians will either retire, be let go or demoted and when that happens I wouldn't mind them getting Mark Whipple.

Rockonsteel
12-16-2009, 12:00 AM
I would love to see Ben's old QB coach as the OC of the Steelers. I really think Mark Whipple would be a good choice. I wish he would've gotten the job instead of Air-Head, but I guess BA had that BS clause in his contract about getting promoted if Whiz left. but, I love the job Whipple has done with that U. of Miami offense. Every game I watch, they constantly keep defenses off balance with a nice mixture of playcalls. He utilizes the FB, utilizes the TE, and doesn't do the same predictable stuff over and over again. And maybe he can get Ben to actually learn to anticipate throws and stop living off pumps fakes and holding on to the ball,

Steeldude
12-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Here's your money back. :twocents:

Your egotistical, pompous, smug posts add nothing to the conversation.

yet another poster who picks up on revs ill posts. btw, you forgot to add hypocritical with the other adjectives you used.

ricksteelers55
12-16-2009, 12:46 AM
I would like to see Jeff Davidson

Coaching
Jeff Davidson's second season as Carolina's offensive coordinator proved to be one of the most productive in team history. The Panthers set or approached numerous team records while finishing seventh in the NFL in scoring and 10th in total offense.

Carolina's offensive accomplishments in 2008 included team records of 2,437 rushing yards, 30 rushing touchdowns, 118 rushing first downs and 5.96 yards average gain per play and gaining at least 400 yards in six games. Additionally, the Panthers amassed 5,595 yards, tallied 414 points and scored 47 touchdowns, all of which rank as the second-highest totals in team history.

Change was the constant for Davidson in his first season as Carolina's offensive coordinator in 2007. Four different starting quarterbacks never started more than three consecutive games, but Davidson still coaxed the third-best rushing season in team history with 1,824 yards while the Panthers became the first team in 10 years to win at least one game with four different starting quarterbacks.

Davidson joined the Panthers as offensive coordinator after two seasons in Cleveland that followed a successful eight-year stint with New England. With the Patriots, he contributed to five playoff appearances, four division titles, three conference championships and three Super Bowl wins as the tight ends/assistant offensive line coach from 1997-2004.

In those ten years, Davidson experienced challenges of every nature in preparation for a full season as an offensive coordinator. His units in Cleveland were decimated by injuries, while his time in New England was characterized by remarkable stability. Davidson met both with the same resolve.

Davidson joined Cleveland in 2005, and his impact was immediate as he molded a unit that helped the Browns end a 20-year drought without a 1,000-yard rusher. Reuben Droughns easily eclipsed that plateau with 1,232 yards behind an offensive line that included three new starters.

He was promoted to assistant head coach/offensive line coach in 2006, and Davidson's role was expanded after six games when he became Cleveland's offensive coordinator. Despite having to shuffle the offensive line throughout the year because of injuries, he oversaw an offense that featured tight end Kellen Winslow and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who produced breakthrough seasons with 89 and 61 catches, respectively.

With New England in 2004, Davidson and offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia worked with a unit that had only three lineup changes all season as the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXIX. The offensive line proved adept at run blocking and pass protection as Corey Dillon rushed for 1,635 yards and Tom Brady was sacked only 26 times, sixth fewest in the NFL. Meanwhile, New England's tight ends, under Davidson's tutelage, accounted for 11 touchdowns and nine pass plays of 20 yards or more.

His time with the Patriots was exemplified by such play from the tight ends as well as the offensive line. As tight ends coach in 1997, Davidson helped Ben Coates emerge as the team leader with 66 receptions and earn a Pro Bowl berth. In 1998, he moved to assist with New England's offensive line for four seasons before adding tight ends to his coaching duties in 2002. The results were immediate as the receiving production for the position more than tripled from the previous year. Then in 2003, the Patriots tight ends again improved their performance by combining for 66 catches and six touchdowns.

Davidson began his NFL coaching career in 1995 as a volunteer assistant with New Orleans. A year later, he was named offensive assistant, responsible for the breakdown of game tapes, opponent scouting and self scouting in addition to a number of on-field coaching responsibilities.

Playing and Personal
Davidson's coaching success is an extension of his playing career. A fifth-round draft choice by Denver in 1990, he moved into the starting lineup in his second season. Davidson started 16 games at left tackle in 1991 and every game at left guard the next year. After signing with New Orleans in 1994, a shoulder injury seven games into the season ended his career. Prior to the NFL, Davidson earned All-Big Ten honors as a senior and was a four-year letterman at Ohio State.

ricksteelers55
12-16-2009, 12:51 AM
that however, is a very good point. He was discussing the gathering of various QB's.

But you're right, Ben doesn't do well with the yelling and screaming. Anderson would be a good intermediary for that though...hopefully.

And yeah. I agree. I don't see Gruden stepping back to being a OC.

make no mistake i love ben....but now i think it's time for him to act like a grown man and a real pro.

We have to find the right man for the ORGANISATION...not Ben.

This is not the Pittsburgh Roethlisberger's ...This is the Pittsburgh Steelers !!!

SteelMember
12-16-2009, 06:50 AM
I believe that Arians will either retire, be let go or demoted and when that happens I wouldn't mind them getting Mark Whipple.

Mark Whipple was very influential in Ben's development. He could be a viable choice... if Ben still likes him. :chuckle:

Rick5895
12-16-2009, 06:50 AM
had this conversation with another member....through pm.

Here was my response:

In a perfect world...I would take Chan Gailey or Kevin Gilbride, with the edge to Kevin Gilbride. (Because he likes big linemen and a strong running game)

From the college ranks, I would throw Michigan Coach Rich Rodriguez into the mix...(Go ahead and beat me up over this one!!!) He was a solid O-coordinator and when he went to West Virginia as a Head Coach...he turned them into a Big East power, winning the conference championship 4 times in five seasons.

Rodriquez comes with some criticisms... but he implements a no huddle run-oriented version of the spread offense out of the shotgun that might fit Ben and Mendy's strengths perfectly!!!!

Rich Rod are you kidding me. I am a Michigan fan (and a pitt fan) Rodriguez has destroyed the Maize and Blue. We complain that Bruce doesn't call plays to the strengths of his players, Rodriguez is just like that. He came to Michigan , banking on getting Pryor to run his O, didn't get him, Lost a future 1st round QB in Mallot because he was adamant on running the spread option,. At Michigan he is not doing it very well.
YOu want more of the same crap we are complaining of now, Rich Rod would bring it, and btw, he would also, IMO be trying "backstab" Tomlin. Rodriguez, IMO does not represent what the Rooneys and Steelers are about.

Unless SD collapses and they fire Norv Turner, our best bet would be Ken Anderson. IMO

stlrtruck
12-16-2009, 09:46 AM

Yes that was his problem as the HC. As an OC, he doesn't have as much pull on who gets signed and/or drafted. I also believe that with the talent we have at QB it wouldn't be a problem.

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
There are some things that, no matter how ubiquitous and by this point painfully obvious, still amaze: The jealous spouse is always the one cheating... The most righteous puritanical evangelist is always the one dropping meth at omnisexual orgies... And the guy questioning the intelligence of everyone else on the BB is who?

Yeah, you guessed it... It's the guy who can't even wrap his brain around the general purpose for these forums. It never fails.

Yes, you are perfectly within your rights to post whatever garbage you'd like on these forums.

HOWEVER, I am also perfectly within my rights to properly categorize it as such...and to laugh while your head explodes in anger at having your infinite wisdom questioned. The purpose of these boards is not in question at all...the veracity of nonsensical posts most certainly is....

atlsteelers
12-16-2009, 11:40 AM

Mark Whipple is who i want running the offense.

steelerdave1969
12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Here is one for ya, how about Mike Shanahan? He liked to keep other teams guessing on run or pass in Denver. Ken Anderson wouldnt be a bad idea with me either since he has been helping Ben out the last few seasons

SteelerEmpire
12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Mark Whipple is who i want running the offense.

I would like if he gave Kevin Wilson, O-Coordinator for the OU Sooners, a look also:
Quote:
Coaching Accomplishments
• In 2008, he coordinated the most prolific offense in the history of college football and was rewarded with the 2008 Broyles Award. It was the first in the modern era to record more than 700 points and 60 or more points in five straight games, and the first ever to include a 4,000-yard passer and two 1,000-yard rushers. The unit was led by Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford.

stlrtruck
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Here is one for ya, how about Mike Shanahan? He liked to keep other teams guessing on run or pass in Denver. Ken Anderson wouldnt be a bad idea with me either since he has been helping Ben out the last few seasons

Sounds good to me too. :tt03: :thumbsup:

How about just anyone that can recognize the offensive talent on the team, and utilize to the utmost of it's potential?