PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin getting absolutely HAMMERED in the Pittsburgh media

TheMightyEx
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/show?showId=thedrive

Direct audio link:
http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/story?id=listenlive

Holy shit. People are comparing him to an abusive parent. Mike Logan (Troy's old backup at S.S.) says Tomlin has lost control of the team.

"They are not being coached well. What I'm hearing from the guys is that they don't believe anything the coaches say"

Aparrently there is an offensive mutiny brewing in the locker room and the Defense doesn't give a shit anymore because they don't think the Offense can back them up. There is also a rumor that Ben has been outright ignoring playcalls.

Edit: They just called him a clueless jagoff for calling 40 passes in the weather.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I guess we made the Drama Playoffs this year.

We haven't had a good one since Cowher vs. Donahoe.

It's going to get very interesting.

Who did they call a clueless jagoff?

What do they mean that the offense can't back them up?

Sharkissle29
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
i hope to god this is an indication that bruce is GONE....PLEASEEEE

The_WARDen
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
well, this will be Tomlin's first major test...up til this point it's been a pretty smooth ride with some minor bumpy patches along the way.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in the next month.

TheMightyEx
12-11-2009, 01:55 PM

The commentators are calling Tomlin clueless. The Defense has lost all faith in the offense and is checking out mentally. According to the rumors Ben and James Harrison are tyring to be vocal leaders, which has led to Ben's abandoning gameplans, but it hasn't worked out.

After Tomlin threatened to bench everyone and didn't follow through Logan says that the team doesn't respect Tomlin. Logan is good pals with the holdovers from the 05 team where, you may remember, he was the veteran DB presence similar to what Deshea Townsend is now so I trust his opinions.

4xSBChamps
12-11-2009, 01:58 PM

I take that to mean that, like in the early/mid 1970's, 'no-matter how-good we play, you guys {the Offense} won't score enough to win us the game'

I hope that's not the case, but that's my early take

TheMightyEx
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Logan is dropping HUGE bombs from in the locker room today.

According to an unnamed source, the 3rd and 1 shotgun call caused everyone to check out mentally. Ben didn't change formation cause he didn't have the right subs...

Tune into this show. Wow! The team is in utter disarray.

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Were the Steelers, we get it together and don't take this media stuff. We'll work things out but it takes time. I have full confidence in Tomlin.

JEFF4i
12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
We can be better because of this. I'm curious to see how Tomlin will handle this, it'll test his mettle.

jev7452
12-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Were the Steelers, we get it together and don't take this media stuff. We'll work things out but it takes time. I have full confidence in Tomlin.

100% agree with this... everyone has their off times, we'll get em next year!

Giovanni
12-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Tomlin will be fine. Arians has to go. Enough is enough. If he did not have Ben, the man would have been toast a while ago. If we have players on this team that are causing problems in that locker-room, then they will have to go.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Living in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, nearly all the radio shows are doing nothing but laughing at Tomlin right now and his "Unleash Hell" comment. Unfortunately, you just sit back and do nothing....because what they are saying has merit.

JEFF4i
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Let em do it. The Black and Gold don't make statements without meaning them. We didn't deliver, nothing they can say is more disappointing or irritating than our last 2 games.

msafford
12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
The commentators are calling Tomlin clueless. The Defense has lost all faith in the offense and is checking out mentally. According to the rumors Ben and James Harrison are tyring to be vocal leaders, which has led to Ben's abandoning gameplans, but it hasn't worked out.

After Tomlin threatened to bench everyone and didn't follow through Logan says that the team doesn't respect Tomlin. Logan is good pals with the holdovers from the 05 team where, you may remember, he was the veteran DB presence similar to what Deshea Townsend is now so I trust his opinions.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. I don't doubt that "someone" is bitching and moaning in the lockerroom, and has Logan's ear. I doubt it's the "team" as a whole. Rumors can be nasty buggers. I'm a music teacher and I've dealt with grown people in my profession who love to spread rumors like "everyone's quitting" or "ALL the parents are upset" when 99.9% of the time, it turns out to be 1 or 2 parents or kids doing all the pissing and moaning, and those people were gonna quit or bitch regardless. Let's see...who would Tomlin be pissing off with the "changes" he promised? the DB's. Who would be talking to Logan? the DB's. just my :twocents:

The_WARDen
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Living in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, nearly all the radio shows are doing nothing but laughing at Tomlin right now and his "Unleash Hell" comment. Unfortunately, you just sit back and do nothing....because what they are saying has merit.

Dallas? seriously? Their coach is a joke...and when did they last win a playoff game again? 1996?

Yeah, they can talk.

HometownGal
12-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Aparrently there is an offensive mutiny brewing in the locker room and the Defense doesn't give a shit anymore because they don't think the Offense can back them up.

That would be the epitome of hypocrisy. The D needs to take a good long look in the mirror if this rumor is indeed factual.

Shoes
12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Maybe we need a visit from the Ambassador To Ireland :wave:

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Maybe we need a visit from the Ambassador To Ireland :wave:

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tt04:

Steelerfreak58
12-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Tomlin will get the team together. It may have been a down year for us and teams may have figured out the Offense or Defensive game plans without Troy in there and things may need a bit of shaking up but in the end next year this team will be right back in the playoffs contending for ring number 7.

This year has been a complete let down but I still wore my Steelers jacket and a Steelers shirt to work today (Casual Friday is nice for a teacher).

Take heart folks I know it sucks and the team looks like a joke but no team has really BEATEN the Steelers down this year except for the Steelers themselves. This is a gut check and mentality check for the team, the front office, and the coaching staff.

Look on the bright side the team will have 6 extra weeks to heal up, repair, rest, re-tool, and we get a draft pick in the middle of the pack instead of dead last! The glass is half full kids. I know it hurts but the glass is half full!

This decade the Steelers have missed the playoffs what twice? They have won 2 Super Bowls and have been one of the premier teams in the league with the absolute best traveling and national fan base.

Buck up boys and girls of the Steeler Nation! Chicken Little says the sky is not falling its just raining on our parade this year a little.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Take heart folks I know it sucks and the team looks like a joke but no team has really BEATEN the Steelers down this year except for the Steelers themselves. .

Can we PLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE stop with this kind of comment.

We have lost to the 3 worst teams in the entire league....2 of which are in complete organizational disarray.

This year....this team stinks for some reason. It's that simple. The Steelers lost because they aren't good enough and...like it or not...if they don't fix things there will be more of the same next year.

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Tomlin will get the team together. It may have been a down year for us and teams may have figured out the Offense or Defensive game plans without Troy in there and things may need a bit of shaking up but in the end next year this team will be right back in the playoffs contending for ring number 7.

This year has been a complete let down but I still wore my Steelers jacket and a Steelers shirt to work today (Casual Friday is nice for a teacher).

Take heart folks I know it sucks and the team looks like a joke but no team has really BEATEN the Steelers down this year except for the Steelers themselves. This is a gut check and mentality check for the team, the front office, and the coaching staff.

Look on the bright side the team will have 6 extra weeks to heal up, repair, rest, re-tool, and we get a draft pick in the middle of the pack instead of dead last! The glass is half full kids. I know it hurts but the glass is half full!

This decade the Steelers have missed the playoffs what twice? They have won 2 Super Bowls and have been one of the premier teams in the league with the absolute best traveling and national fan base.

Buck up boys and girls of the Steeler Nation! Chicken Little says the sky is not falling its just raining on our parade this year a little.

Agreed. I still wore my Steelers shirt to college and got tortured by ravens fans but you know what. I'm proud of being a Steelers fan and getting beat on.

Glace
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
That would be the epitome of hypocrisy. The D needs to take a good long look in the mirror if this rumor is indeed factual.

Indeed...because it was the defense that let the offense down plenty of times this season. I really hope there is no bearing to this "rumor"...

zsheik22
Agreed. I still wore my Steelers shirt to college and got tortured by ravens fans but you know what. I'm proud of being a Steelers fan and getting beat on.

What comes around goes around. Next time look them in the face and say "See you Dec 27th at Heinz Field"

Hopefully we can brownie them and knock em out.

MJ5150
GOOD!

Let those jokers have it. They are embarassing the city of Pittsburgh and Steeler Nation right now.

-Mike

StainlessStill
12-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Believe it or not, I believe this is going on. I made multiple posts about just something not being right and it just HAS to be internally. There is no other way around it. We have melted down by every phase and this is all just mind boggling because say what you want about the Steelers, but we were always tight with each other and were a close group of friends in a business that never called for it.

Sadly, you could tell by the body language of the whole team that they are losing themselves in the midst of the locker room. It's easy to see. Not good and we must get it fixed before we become the Dallas Cowboys, and I prided myself of not ever having to go through this shit!

Steelerfreak58
12-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Can we PLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE stop with this kind of comment.

We have lost to the 3 worst teams in the entire league....2 of which are in complete organizational disarray.

This year....this team stinks for some reason. It's that simple. The Steelers lost because they aren't good enough and...like it or not...if they don't fix things there will be more of the same next year.

Can you PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEE tell us which team actually kicked the shit out of the Steelers this year then? Any blow outs? Any games they didn't hang themselves and were just tore up from the first quarter to the last second? Name a game that they lost that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot this year?

Sounds like you should try a little more analysis before getting all butt-hurt about them having an off year. I know it sucks man but like I said I just didn't seem a team actually kick the shit out of the Steelers this year except for themselves.

Just my 2cents on it though brother you are entitled to your own opinions and views on the matter.

msafford
12-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Amen, brother! I have my I.D. on a Steelers lanyard. (I'm a teacher) I was harassed by many, many students. I took it all, even though I wanted to tell a few of the little punks they were adopted when they gave me a hard time.:sofunny:

steelreserve
12-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. I don't doubt that "someone" is bitching and moaning in the lockerroom, and has Logan's ear. I doubt it's the "team" as a whole. Rumors can be nasty buggers. I'm a music teacher and I've dealt with grown people in my profession who love to spread rumors like "everyone's quitting" or "ALL the parents are upset" when 99.9% of the time, it turns out to be 1 or 2 parents or kids doing all the pissing and moaning, and those people were gonna quit or bitch regardless. Let's see...who would Tomlin be pissing off with the "changes" he promised? the DB's. Who would be talking to Logan? the DB's. just my :twocents:

Probably that. Ike Taylor probably got his panties in a bunch because of the finger-pointing after the Oakland game. Hampton is probably the only other guy it wouldn't surprise me to hear was mouthing off.

Shoes
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
The big problem I see is the vet's have their heads hung low with no answer as to what the problem is. Mike T. has to take the bull by the horns and give this team some very clear direction and vision. His comments of "Hell" and the" team player change" only made matters worse. This is a real test for him and I hope it goes well, for him and the team.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Can you PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEE tell us which team actually kicked the shit out of the Steelers this year then? Any blow outs? Any games they didn't hang themselves and were just tore up from the first quarter to the last second? Name a game that they lost that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot this year?

Sounds like you should try a little more analysis before getting all butt-hurt about them having an off year. I know it sucks man but like I said I just didn't seem a team actually kick the shit out of the Steelers this year except for themselves.

Just my 2cents on it though brother you are entitled to your own opinions and views on the matter.

I don't even know where to begin with this. Cleveland kicked the dog out of us last night on Defense and Special Teams.

We were not the better team on the field in 7 of our games this year. It's that simple. We have lost to teams who are a laughingtock of the league.

This team isn't what we thought they were.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Amen, brother! I have my I.D. on a Steelers lanyard. (I'm a teacher) I was harassed by many, many students. I took it all, even though I wanted to tell a few of the little punks they were adopted when they gave me a hard time.:sofunny:

Yep, I had my Steelers coat on the other day and heard it. I am getting it in facebook right now from a couple of friends.

Oh well. We are STILL the SB champions, and will be until the beginning of February.

AllD
12-11-2009, 03:31 PM
You can tell the team voluntarily took itself out of the playoff race by not actively participating in games. You can see they don't believe in the current system. It is obvious to me something is going on in the locker room. You don't have to be a sports psychologist to figure it out.

Speaking of media hype, Tiger Woods called in to Fox News and thanked the Steelers loss to the Blaucasians for taking him off the front page. The team meltdown is headlining on non-sports radio talk shows! I can't wait to hear what Letterman and Leno have to say.

On the NFL Network on Sirius a few choice comments have been made such as, "this team has not been balanced since Cowher", "best chance to win this season was with Dixon", "they played like garbage last night", "they will have to do some soul searching". Very entertaining stuff while the haters pile on. It is very ugly especially since it was the only game on last night.

The NFL Network was even playing clips of opponents scoring on the Steelers going from Oakland's winning TD last week to Ftizgerald's go ahead TD in Super Bowl XLIII. No doubt the NFL Network was referencing where things began to slide for the team. Fortunately we won the Super Bowl.

Time for Tomlin to make some phone calls. I would begin by lining up new coordinators and pick them from college coaches. I would also take the time and scout new CBs, safeties, and OL. Maybe even get lucky with a durable RB.

We look to have a 'teen' first round pick. Hopefully our first rounder won't demand extra incentive money to play for the Steelers.

msafford
12-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Probably that. Ike Taylor probably got his panties in a bunch because of the finger-pointing after the Oakland game. Hampton is probably the only other guy it wouldn't surprise me to hear was mouthing off.

Yeah, I could see Hampton going off as well.

X-Terminator
12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
If all of this is truly going on in the locker room - and I'm nowhere near convinced - then it may be time to put in a call to a certain Ambassador to Ireland to come back home and get his house in order.

SteelC7
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
i like tomlin i think hell get thru it, cant believe all this media crap is happening, well i believe it, but i dont, were sounding like the dallas cryboys for god sakes

steelpride12
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Is anyone really surprised at the attacks on Tomlin and the whole Steelers team? Im sure not we just won the Superbowl and everyone expects them to win out every season so what else is there for the media, but to jump all over them.
Tomlin and this team will be dealing with a lot this season and during the offseason if it ends early I am sure. It is the truth though Tomlin is not coaching correctly this season and needs to figure out whats going on.

At the same time he did lead them to the playoffs his first season, and a Super Bowl win his second so I would say he knows what he is doing and will fix this issue next season and get Our Steelers back on track.

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Can you PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEEEEEEE tell us which team actually kicked the shit out of the Steelers this year then? Any blow outs? cleveland last night. the game wasnt nearly as close as the score indicated.

i posted this in a congrats to cleve thread in the blast furnace. this was the first game where were were dominated in all 3 phases. there wasnt 1 play too look back on, one missed kick or assignment, or a late lead lost.

we just flat out got our asses kicked just as bad as we did last year vs philadelphia and the titans. of course last year the titans had the best record in the league, and the eagles were in the champ game.

the browns? not so much.

as far as the steelers defense feeling the offense cant pick up the slack and have there backs i kinda understand.

last year our offense lost multiple linemen, and at one point our top 3 backs (good thing moore was there as a 4th stringer). the defense cranked it up and turned in one of the finest defensive efforts since the 91 eagles, 2000 ravens and 85 bears.

this year it is the defense that is beat up and we have all the offensive talent in the world to be top 5 in all categories including scoring.

for the most part the defense has kept teams from scoring. they didnt allow 8 weeks in a row with return td's. the defense pressed to cover for smith and troy being out. lebeau changed the scheme. they did a decent job.

the offense has done a piss poor job scoring td's. sweed, catch the ball. wallace, and hines, please dont fumble after a long catch, and ben, quit throwing pick 6's.

when tomlin was getting stuffed going for it on 4th and goal vs. san diego, and dallas last year, it was the defense who bailed out the offense and scored a td to win games.

last year, james, ben, and santonio played like a band of brothers who had eachothers back.

where has that gone?

ricksteelers55
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I think Tomlin gave the players too much lattitude now it's time to take it back.No more easy camp,no more bitching against each others or all that crap ....he's the head coach so he better take this team and put it right where it belongs.

When he first came in Tomlin said he believes in running the football well put your money where your mouth is and make some changes....no more Arians is free to do what he wants,you're the boss and you get the heat when something's going wrong so everything that Arians chooses has to be approved by you until he does what you like on a regular basis.(either that or you get rid of him)

I always been a pro-Tomlin but now it's time for him to run his ship.We won the super bowl last year but now it doesnt mean anything it's all behind us....let's play football Tomlin's way !!!

HometownGal
12-11-2009, 03:48 PM

What a WOW of a post freak! Rep coming your way! :applaudit::drink::thumbsup:

SteelBaller
12-11-2009, 03:48 PM
It's one thing to lose to the Bears. It's another thing to lose to the Chiefs. But to lose to the Chiefs, the Raiders and the Browns in one month? What you saw was a major collapse, the confidence of the players in the coaching staff and in themselves has been shattered. The team is in disarray, it may take years to recover.

steelpride12
12-11-2009, 03:50 PM
It's one thing to lose to the Bears. It's another thing to lose to the Chiefs. But to lose to the Chiefs, the Raiders and the Browns in one month? What you saw was a major collapse, the confidence of the players in the coaching staff and in themselves has been shattered. The team is in disarray, it may take years to recover.

We went from and 8-8 season in 06 and two years last won the Super Bowl, we can rebound next season not in "years."

AllD
12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Right now everybody is pointing their finger at the team. The real story will come when they start pointing fingers at individuals.

The Rooney's will do what needs to be done and do it with class. Tomlin is secure as he should be. Everybody else is on notice. If you don't prepare properly or do not show up on the field, you are risking your job. There are very few locks such as Ward, Troy, BB, Holmes & Harrison.

LamarrWoodleysFade
12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Eh, whatever. They deserve all the criticism they get, quite frankly. I, for one, don't give a shit because, apparently, neither does this team. All of this can be solved by *gasp* WINNING. That's all. Do that, all this bullshit disappears.

I'll be honest, the only reason why people are goin' in on the team right now, is because they know this is rare. This isn't how things are run here in Pittsburgh, we're better than this.

So let the media do what they want and run their mouths with the gossip and garbage. Tomlin will learn from this and be a better coach because of it...

Christian Snyder
12-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Direct audio link:

Holy shit. People are comparing him to an abusive parent. Mike Logan (Troy's old backup at S.S.) says Tomlin has lost control of the team.He has... He let's Ward say whatever he wants and appears to just let Ward go without disciplining him.:banging: I only wish we would've signed Ken Whisenhunt instead of Mike Tomlin... Look at how Ken turned the terrible Arzona Cardinals into a good team... I can only imagine what he could've done with the Steelers.:noidea: The only reason why we have Tomlin is because of the Rooney rule.:headbutt:

Not saying that Tomlin is the worst coach in the NFL... I'm just saying he doesn't appear to discipline the team.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 04:05 PM

:doh:

Congratulations, you are the third winner of the coveted preacher award. Others have passed it around now and then. But here is official presentation number 3. WINNER NUMBER 3 IS TEELBALLER

http://therealbarackobama.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sky-is-falling.jpg

MT83
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
That radio show is ridiculous. It's just Jerome and Logan, who are friends with a bunch of the guys that are still playing but never played under Mike Tomlin, and they just want to put all of the blame on him. Who do you think Bus is going to place the blame on? The guy he's hardly even knows or the QB who brought him a Super Bowl title in his final season?

SteelCityMom
12-11-2009, 04:42 PM
He has... He let's Ward say whatever he wants and appears to just let Ward go without disciplining him.:banging: I only wish we would've signed Ken Whisenhunt instead of Mike Tomlin... Look at how Ken turned the terrible Arzona Cardinals into a good team... I can only imagine what he could've done with the Steelers.:noidea: The only reason why we have Tomlin is because of the Rooney rule.:headbutt:

Not saying that Tomlin is the worst coach in the NFL... I'm just saying he doesn't appear to discipline the team.

I don't think this is a fair assessment at all. Yes, Wiz has done a good job in AZ, but remind me again who beat him last year for the SB title? So far Tomlin has taken 2 seasons to do what it took Cowher over a decade to accomplish...I think we can all cut him a little slack and see how he handles a down season.

Psyychoward86
12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
i hope to god this is an indication that bruce is GONE....PLEASEEEE

I actually still want Arians on our team somewhere, just not at OC. But i hope one thing we get out of this season is a coaching staff clean up. Starting with Ligasheky

Christian Snyder
12-11-2009, 04:48 PM
but remind me again who beat him last year with Cowher's team for the SB title? Fixed.

43Hitman
12-11-2009, 04:52 PM
He has... He let's Ward say whatever he wants and appears to just let Ward go without disciplining him.:banging: I only wish we would've signed Ken Whisenhunt instead of Mike Tomlin... Look at how Ken turned the terrible Arzona Cardinals into a good team... I can only imagine what he could've done with the Steelers.:noidea: The only reason why we have Tomlin is because of the Rooney rule.:headbutt:

This is a horrible comment, and I hope you re-think what you're saying here. If I am off base, then please let me know. I understand that you are frustrated, but that's hatred you're talking about. To somehow suggest we only have Tomlin because he is black is inappropriate.

Peace

SteelBaller
12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
:doh:

Congratulations, you are the third winner of the coveted preacher award. Others have passed it around now and then. But here is official presentation number 3. WINNER NUMBER 3 IS TEELBALLER

http://therealbarackobama.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sky-is-falling.jpg

I won? I WON!!!!!:yeehaw:

I would like to thank the Pittsburgh Steelers for this award; for engineering perhaps the biggest single season decline in NFL history, from Super Bowl champion to dud of the decade.

:peace:

mf8590
12-11-2009, 04:59 PM
you would have thought BA would have learned his lesson after the horrible call in KC on 3rd and 2(lateral to Moore), but then he goes and out does himself by callin a empty backfield pass play on 3rd and 1 in frigid weather after Rashard gains a total of 9 yards on the first 2 carries. This guy is clueless and Must go. I wont rest until BA is gone.

casteeler
12-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Mike Tomlin was handed a team with everything so you can't say he took them there (S.B ) So finally his character was tested, the team started strong then stumbled needed guidance and found none! Against the clev browns he needed to walk into the locker room and make necessary adjustments and save the season. The steelers needed ONE touchdown against the f*#@ing browns but failed.If he comes back next year maybe we can go 8-8!

stb_steeler
12-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Believe it or not, I believe this is going on. I made multiple posts about just something not being right and it just HAS to be internally. There is no other way around it. We have melted down by every phase and this is all just mind boggling because say what you want about the Steelers, but we were always tight with each other and were a close group of friends in a business that never called for it.

Sadly, you could tell by the body language of the whole team that they are losing themselves in the midst of the locker room. It's easy to see. Not good and we must get it fixed before we become the Dallas Cowboys, and I prided myself of not ever having to go through this shit!

Yeah you can tell that theres a problem with the team in the locker room. They kinda stated that on NFL net today. What ever it is, its surely a cancer. Check on NFL net tonight at 7.00 pm. as they try to break it down.........LoL

brick
12-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Mike Tomlin was handed a team with everything so you can't say he took them there (S.B ) So finally his character was tested, the team started strong then stumbled needed guidance and found none! Against the clev browns he needed to walk into the locker room and make necessary adjustments and save the season. The steelers needed ONE touchdown against the f*#@ing browns but failed.If he comes back next year maybe we can go 8-8!
actually yea, yea you can. if that team really had 'everything' why didn't cowher win back-to-back SBs in 2005/6? and why did tomlin not win it in his first season?

St33lersguy
12-11-2009, 05:03 PM
As he should be.... he couldn't motivate the team enough to beat a 1-11 sorry ass excuse of team in a frickin must win game???

Edman
12-11-2009, 05:05 PM
They lost to the Kansas City Chiefs despite outgaining them 2 to 1.

They lost to the Oakland Raiders at home. Practically handing Bruce Gradkowski an AFC OPOW award.

And last night they just got manhandled by then 1-11 Cleveland Browns. Gaining less than 200 yards and allowing eight sacks to the 32nd ranked defense in the league.

The Steelers are a laughingstock. A Joke. If they checked out after the 3rd and 1 shotgun call, then I'm glad. It's a sign of Bruce Arians' incompetance and it's time for the fat bastard to go.

St33lersguy
12-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Do you mean you can't say he helped build a team that won the superbowl.

Dino 6 Rings
12-11-2009, 05:12 PM
According to an unnamed source, the 3rd and 1 shotgun call caused everyone to check out mentally. Ben didn't change formation cause he didn't have the right subs....

You know what...this was a bad effing call. It just was. A bad effing call.

opening drive, you have 9 yards on 2 carries and you put in a Shotgun 3 wide receiver set and call a pass play?

Really?

3 and outs kill an offense and build a defense's confidence. And that is exactly what happened.

I watched that play...turned...looked at my wife and said "If they keep this nonsense up...we are going to lose to the fking Browns."

And sure as shiiiit if they didn't go ahead and keep the nonsense up.

8 Effing Sacks. Really?

3-14 on 3rd down? Really?

22 Rushing Calls and 40 passing calls in a game being played in Frigid Winter Evening Conditions? Really?

Ben should have checked out and just took the QB Sneak himself.

Seriously...at least...at least they did one time run a Draw out of the Shotgun...and it actually worked to get a first down.

6 points by our offense. on what? 2 visits to the Redzone. That's it. Two Times in the Redzone with a 30:45 minute time of possession? Really? 2 Effing Visits to the Redzone?

Dino 6 Rings
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I mean come on already....just come on...

You know what I want....what I really really want...

The Next Game...I want the first 30 plays to be run plays...I don't give a flying fck if we go 3 and out every stinking drive...I want to punish our Oline for the mess of letting up 8 sacks...punish Ben for his multiple interceptions this year, punish the WRs for not getting open against man coverage and dropping balls and Punish the other team by running at them 30 straight effing times...Hell, Put 2 Fullback/TEs in the Backfield and just run the godddamn ball right at whoever the fck we are playing.

That would be Unleashing HELL

That would be Shutting up the Critics about everyone.

"what happened to Steelers football" You want it? You Fcking Got it. 30 Straight Running Plays right down your mother effing Throat!!!

That is what I want. Then...on play 31...throw the ball to Santinio Holmes because he's the best weapon we got on the offense, bottom line.

Burghfan58
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM

opening drive, you have 9 yards on 2 carries and you put in a Shotgun 3 wide receiver set and call a pass play?

Really?

3 and outs kill an offense and build a defense's confidence. And that is exactly what happened.

I watched that play...turned...looked at my wife and said "If they keep this nonsense up...we are going to lose to the fking Browns."

8 Effing Sacks. Really?

22 Rushing Calls and 40 passing calls in a game being played in Frigid Winter Evening Conditions? Really?

Seriously...at least...at least they did one time run a Draw out of the Shotgun...and it actually worked to get a first down.

6 points by our offense. on what? 2 visits to the Redzone. That's it. Two Times in the Redzone with a 30:45 minute time of possession? Really? 2 Effing Visits to the Redzone?

Well stated Dino. I almost could'nt beleive what I was watching. It had a similarly eerie feeling to the Eagle 8 sack game only it was the 1 and 11 Browns!!!:banging:

Dino 6 Rings
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Do that...Do that...why Not? Got NOTHING TO LOSE NOW

Just Run The GD Ball RIGHT DOWN THEIR THROATS on 30 Straight Fcking Plays...

God Dammmmit...just when I think I'm relaxed...I read this freaking board again and am reminded of how freaking painful this season as really been....

43Hitman
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Really?

8 Effing Sacks. Really?

I knew right then we were in trouble, and had the wrong approach to the game. Apparently the first two run plays were only a decoy to their real intentions. It's been almost 24 hours and I am still pissed that they just threw this game away, literally.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Really?

8 Effing Sacks. Really?

What I don't get, is if we RAN the ball twice successfully, in THAT kind of weather... IF Arians REALLY wanted to throw the ball, why not call a play action? We were PERFECTLY set up for it. Matter of fact, it would probably have been a BIG GAIN. I would almost guarantee that we would have seen 9 in the box. SO line up up in a two wide fullback-tailback set with a TE, and hit a streaking Holmes, or Ward on a cross, or Heath on a post. If the Browns come out and don't load up the box, then give it to Mendy.

I have defended Arians a number of times not because I liked him, but because I understood with all the injuries, with all the changes, etc., he had to work with what was given to him. I thought he did a very good job of that. Last night however, shows that he simply does not care about the flow of the game.

It is time for a new OC.

gameface75
12-11-2009, 05:31 PM
BlastFurnace is 100% correct ,its time to get rid of the dead weight ,or next year will be the same bullshit .

xbroughneck
12-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Since Troy's injury, I agree.

I still want Arians gone and a more balanced OC hired. Someone who likes to call plays not to just set up the pass, but to actually get good yardage.

Arians was better this year, but I still think this would be an ideal time to change some things up. Even though the defense let us down I have no doubt the issues will be addressed in the off season.

xbroughneck
12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
This is a horrible comment, and I hope you re-think what you're saying here. If I am off base, then please let me know. I understand that you are frustrated, but that's hatred you're talking about.
Peace

Oh, I was waitin for the "Tomlin only got the job because he's black" card to come up. :doh:

pepsyman1
12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
What I don't get, is if we RAN the ball twice successfully, in THAT kind of weather... IF Arians REALLY wanted to throw the ball, why not call a play action? We were PERFECTLY set up for it. Matter of fact, it would probably have been a BIG GAIN. I would almost guarantee that we would have seen 9 in the box. SO line up up in a two wide fullback-tailback set with a TE, and hit a streaking Holmes, or Ward on a cross, or Heath on a post. If the Browns come out and don't load up the box, then give it to Mendy.

I have defended Arians a number of times not because I liked him, but because I understood with all the injuries, with all the changes, etc., he had to work with what was given to him. I thought he did a very good job of that. Last night however, shows that he simply does not care about the flow of the game.

It is time for a new OC.

:thumbsup:
You pegged that one DEAD ON Preacher. I'm more than content to run WHATEVER kind of offensive will work in this league...whether that be pass oriented, run oriented or balanced, BUT the OC has to be able to see and analyze what's working and what's not and adjust properly. Ben is like 35 out of 39 completions on play action for the season and you're 100% right, THAT would have been the perfect call on that play and then leave it in Ben's hand to read the defense and decide if the defense is buying it or hand it to Mendi if they are dropping into coverage.

43Hitman
12-11-2009, 05:37 PM

It is time for a new OC.

I completely agree with you Preacher, and literally just finished a post saying the same thing in another thread. His arrogance probably just cost him his job, and for good reason. Asta la vista Bruce.

xbroughneck
12-11-2009, 05:39 PM

It is time for a new OC.

Wait....did I read that correctly?

See, we BOTH want balance. Problem is, Arians doesn't. He never has.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Since Troy's injury, I agree.

I still want Arians gone and a more balanced OC hired. Someone who likes to call plays not to just set up the pass, but to actually get good yardage.

:thumbsup:
I'm more than content to run WHATEVER kind of offensive will work in this league...whether that be pass oriented, run oriented or balanced, BUT the OC has to be able to see and analyze what's working and what's not and adjust properly.

Bingo and Bingo.

I don't want "Steelers Football" or "Smashmouth football" or "Pass happy football". I WANT WINNING FOOTBALL.

And the Statistics show, WINNING FOOTBALL IS BALANCED FOOTBALL.

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Wait....did I read that correctly?

See, we BOTH want balance. Problem is, Arians doesn't. He never has.

Arians tends to panic and go pass happy. We need an OC with more sangfroid.

rich4eagle
12-11-2009, 05:55 PM

Direct audio link:

Holy shit. People are comparing him to an abusive parent. Mike Logan (Troy's old backup at S.S.) says Tomlin has lost control of the team.

"They are not being coached well. What I'm hearing from the guys is that they don't believe anything the coaches say"

Aparrently there is an offensive mutiny brewing in the locker room and the Defense doesn't give a shit anymore because they don't think the Offense can back them up. There is also a rumor that Ben has been outright ignoring playcalls.

Edit: They just called him a clueless jagoff for calling 40 passes in the weather.

Tomlin did an awful job of game day coaching again this year. The media should be all over him. His denial as to the issues which continued right onto last night are HIS FAULT. The defense played soft at so many end games......either Lebeau has lost it or Tomlin made it happen

Bottom line this team was managed to lose in every game this year.............and the players are NOT TO BLAME:tt::drink:

steelwalls
12-11-2009, 06:17 PM
If all this is true I just cannot see how firing Arians is going to gain Tomlin any respect?

Christian Snyder
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
This is a horrible comment, and I hope you re-think what you're saying here. If I am off base, then please let me know. I understand that you are frustrated, but that's hatred you're talking about. To somehow suggest we only have Tomlin because he is black is inappropriate.

Peace
Dude, I got a little carried away.. I'm not rascist or anything I was just letting off some steam.... Trust me, I have a lot of steam to let off.:chuckle:

Preacher
12-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Tomlin did an awful job of game day coaching again this year. The media should be all over him. His denial as to the issues which continued right onto last night are HIS FAULT. The defense played soft at so many end games......either Lebeau has lost it or Tomlin made it happen

Bottom line this team was managed to lose in every game this year.............and the players are NOT TO BLAME:tt::drink:

Sorry, but that is completely wrong.

Dropping passes, throwing INT's, dropping INTS, missing tackles, bad penalties, those are ALL player mistakes, and the players are COMPLETELY TO BLAME for that.

Vincent
12-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I only wish we would've signed Ken Whisenhunt instead of Mike Tomlin... Look at how Ken turned the terrible Arizona Cardinals into a good team..

My sentiments at the time, and now, exactly. What a waste.

Whiz turned the Cards from a perennial waste of space into a contender. They came within an uncomfortable margin of beating us.

Tomlin has turned a perennial contender into dysfunction in all three phases. The dysfunction isn't going to end anytime soon.

I'm proud of Whiz and what he's done in Arizona. I'd like to see a pair of 18-0s meet in Miami, but if not, the Cards to win it all.

If all this is true I just cannot see how firing Arians is going to gain Tomlin any respect?

It won't. He's lost the team. He won't recover. Only one solution to restore the team's respect.

Sorry, but that is completely wrong.

Dropping passes, throwing INT's, dropping INTS, missing tackles, bad penalties, those are ALL player mistakes, and the players are COMPLETELY TO BLAME for that.

In a game, possibly. Doing it week after week against the dregs of the league falls to coaching.

Regardless of perspective, this team returned 19 Super Bowl starters, added the talents of Wallace and Mendy, and faced a cake schedule. We are witnessing the melt down of the ages. It falls to the feet of a single young man that is overwhelmed, and who's responses are underwhelming, when not ridiculous.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Fixed.

Fixed? I doubt it. The entire O line was different. We had only 1 running back that was the same. Ike was benched under Cowher that last year. Timmons and Woodley were picks after Cowher left. Harrison was put into the starting position under Tomlin (Peezy was cut after Cowher left).

All this talk about "Cowher's Team" is a bit far-fetched. Cowher's team went 8 and 8 his last year, and 6 and 10 three years before that.

Please people. PERSPECTIVE

stillers4me
12-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Perspective is in the eye of the beholder.

Wishing we had signed Whiz instead of Tomin? Funny, I didn't hear anyone day that last year while Tomlin was holding a Lombardi and Whiz was headed for the locker room.

Dodt
12-11-2009, 07:08 PM
if this continues into next year then i might be a little concerned.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Wishing we had signed Whiz instead of Tomin? Funny, I didn't hear anyone day that last year while Tomlin was holding a Lombardi and Whiz was headed for the locker room.

That is exactly my point.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
yeah i heard them rip the steelers today..i loved the part where someone said that someone must have put super glue on ben's gloves b/c he couldnt throw the ball away and he must have had molass in his veins b/c he was so slow last night...

Steelerfreak58
12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
yeah i heard them rip the steelers today..i loved the part where someone said that someone must have put super glue on ben's gloves b/c he couldnt throw the ball away and he must have had molass in his veins b/c he was so slow last night...

The last play on 4th down I was screaming RUN FOR THE FIRST DOWN and I thought he was going to then he passed it he had a spot to run off the right side and pick up the first and he didn't. Don't know why but I was just shocked he needed the 1st down and he didn't need that many yards to pick it up from what I saw.

But oh well still will take Big Ben with 2 rings then 99% of the other guys out there.

Sharkissle29
12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
The last play on 4th down I was screaming RUN FOR THE FIRST DOWN and I thought he was going to then he passed it he had a spot to run off the right side and pick up the first and he didn't. Don't know why but I was just shocked he needed the 1st down and he didn't need that many yards to pick it up from what I saw.

But oh well still will take Big Ben with 2 rings then 99% of the other guys out there.

i noticed that too, looked like he had plenty of room to get the first and made a terrible throw

Christian Snyder
12-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Fixed? I doubt it. The entire O line was different. We had only 1 running back that was the same. Ike was benched under Cowher that last year. Timmons and Woodley were picks after Cowher left. Harrison was put into the starting position under Tomlin (Peezy was cut after Cowher left).

All this talk about "Cowher's Team" is a bit far-fetched. Cowher's team went 8 and 8 his last year, and 6 and 10 three years before that.

Please people. PERSPECTIVE Here is some star players that played for Cowher before Tomlin. Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Max Starks, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, and Troy Polamalu. I know I'm forgetting A LOT of players but these are the ones I can think of.:chuckle:

BTW, I'm not even going to get into the 2nd stringers.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Here is some star players that played for Cowher before Tomlin. Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker, Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Max Starks, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, James Farrior, and Troy Polamalu. I know I'm forgetting A LOT of players but these are the ones I can think of.:chuckle:

BTW, I'm not even going to get into the 2nd stringers.

Yes, and those star players had a 8-8 season before Tomlin came in.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM

maybe he is scared to run again.... i dont know.. ben has been off since training camp... and we all know why:banging:

Steel Warrior
12-11-2009, 08:22 PM
This season was one of the saddest I've witnessed watching my Steelers for over 40 years. The bottom line is Tomlin is the coach. This team went from a SB Champ to a bottom dweller under his watch in one season, the biggest colapse EVER by a SB team. Every team has injuries and adjust, I'm tired of those excuses. If Tomlin was an honorable man he would resign.

stillers4me
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
If Tomlin was an honorable man he would resign.

:smoker:

X-Terminator
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM

"Cowher's Team" missed the playoffs 4 out of 6 seasons, as a matter of fact, from 1998-2003. Did that get him fired? No. So anyone here who thinks Tomlin should be fired after this season...well, let's just say they're being incredibly short-sighted and narrow-minded, not to mention do not realize who owns the team.

Nope, he was the greatest coach in the world then. Remember, we live in a "what have you done for me lately" society now, and anyone can go from the penthouse to the outhouse in a very short period of time. It's no different with The Nation.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Really?

Dino....I love your passion!

I didn't type it in the game day thread because I knew I would be ripped, but after that first series...when we passed on 3rd and 1....I lost any kind of faith that we were going to win. Arians is absolutely clueless.

stillers4me
12-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Dino....I love your passion!

I didn't type it in the game day thread because I knew I would be ripped, but after that first series...when we passed on 3rd and 1....I lost any kind of faith that we were going to win. Arians is absolutely clueless.

You should have been at the Steelers bar for those first two drives. Nothing surprised us after that.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 08:53 PM
The only person I ever wanted fired more than Zerlein, Ligashesky, and Arians was Tom Donahoe...but these 3 stooges are gaining ground very rapidly.

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I actually still want Arians on our team somewhere, just not at OC.you mean like laundering bens jock straps?

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 09:09 PM
The only reason why we have Tomlin is because of the Rooney rule.:headbutt:

ultimate dumb.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 09:16 PM
you mean like laundering bens jock straps?
he might try and throw them instead of run them into the laundry room :chuckle:

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Arians tends to panic and go pass happy. We need an OC with more sangfroid.the problem is he seems to panic after the first 2 plays on an opening drive where he potential pro bowl running back has averages 4.5 yds a carry and set the team up and 3rd and 1.

and when that fails, he does the exact same thing that has failed the previous series (and countless times before, all year).

arians checked out this season and was coaching for a huge raise and a psychotic pipe dream that he may actually be considered for a HC position elsewhere in the nfl.

it seems as if tomlin let him run his scheme with the anticipation that he may go on to greener pastures, and with the security of knowing his job was safe.

recipe for disaster.

tomlin was too trusting in his assistants doing what was right for the team. arians seemed to be desperately trying to coach his qb into the pro-bowl. :thumbsup: (minus the sacks, ben still has numbers 75% of the leages qb's would be yearning for)

AllD
12-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Don't forget the Tyrone Carter autograpgh signing on Dec. 15th!!! You may see people come from as far as Exit 6 to get his signature!

Steelerfreak58
12-11-2009, 09:39 PM
the problem is he seems to panic after the first 2 plays on an opening drive where he potential pro bowl running back has averages 4.5 yds a carry and set the team up and 3rd and 1.

and when that fails, he does the exact same thing that has failed the previous series (and countless times before, all year).

arians checked out this season and was coaching for a huge raise and a psychotic pipe dream that he may actually be considered for a HC position elsewhere in the nfl.

it seems as if tomlin let him run his scheme with the anticipation that he may go on to greener pastures, and with the security of knowing his job was safe.

recipe for disaster.

tomlin was too trusting in his assistants doing what was right for the team. arians seemed to be desperately trying to coach his qb into the pro-bowl. :thumbsup: (minus the sacks, ben still has numbers 75% of the leages qb's would be yearning for)

Just can't argue with that assessment.:thumbsup:

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 09:52 PM
the problem is he seems to panic after the first 2 plays on an opening drive where he potential pro bowl running back has averages 4.5 yds a carry and set the team up and 3rd and 1.

recipe for disaster.

I completely agree with your assessment.

X-Terminator
12-11-2009, 09:59 PM

recipe for disaster.

Agreed, especially on Tomlin being too trusting of his assistants. He tried to stay out of it and let them run the show, and they let him down. I think you will see him have more of a say in the game plans from now on, without being too much of a meddler.

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Just can't argue with that assessment.:thumbsup:
i said it about 4 weeks ago...

arians was calling plays that seemed more focused on keeping bens numbers up there with brady, manning, and schaub for a qb pro bowl appearance, as opposed to just winning games.

arians convinced tomlin his formula would work. if anyone remembers tomlins first year on the job, he repeatedly said his philosophy was the same as the rooneys and steelers tradition- "smashmouth, pound the ball, contol the clock football.

arians snookered tomlin. since tomlin threw all caution into the wind and let arians run his own show, with the hopeful anticipation that he would repeat a championship, and advance his career, his firing will be no bigger of a loss than losing mularkey or whiz.

arians has been auditioning moreso than coaching for a win.

easy come, easy go.

has anyone ever heard of a team saying we will run mendenhall for the first 2 series and parker for the third? and actually sticking to it game after freaking game ?!?!?!?

how retarded is that? :banging: thats almost as brilliant as saying we will go into shotgun and pass on every down shorter than 3rd and 4. :doh:

i hope arians enjoys college football. (i also hope he isnt expecting a notre dame head coaching job or anything).

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 10:06 PM
i think BA didnt want to piss off Ben, so that is why he was doing all this passing. we all know that Ben has been wanting to pass the ball more than running the ball. and BA figured he would let Ben have his way. well it didnt work, so now its time for tomlin to take the keys from both of them to the porche and return them to the safe.

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 10:19 PM
BA seems to lose sight that the goal is to win the game. He's not happy unless we win by passing and by using the long ball. The idea of using the run game to control the clock seems completely foreign to him.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 10:26 PM
BA seems to lose sight that the goal is to win the game. He's not happy unless we win by passing and by using the long ball. The idea of using the run game to control the clock seems completely foreign to him.
that is when tomlin should have told him that his play calling isnt working, and that passing the ball is hurting the team.

tony hipchest
12-11-2009, 10:30 PM
we all know that Ben has been wanting to pass the ball more than running the ball. and BA figured he would let Ben have his way. well it didnt work, so now its time for tomlin to take the keys from both of them to the porche and return them to the safe.

this just isnt true. all ben wanted was to know that he was trusted to run a balanced offense and not be sheltered with a 65% run/35% passing attack. it has been proven true that ben can win while throwing for more than 20 times a game and relied upon for more than just being a game manager.

the ONLY thing ben cares about is winning atleast 3 more championships and going down as the winningest champion of all time (stats be damned).

ben has made his money. he is not playing for a "next contract" or pro bowl appearances.

all he cares about are the rings.

arians, on the other hand, doesnt have 100 mil in the bank and his ring wont sell for a 10th of the amount as bens would on e-bay.

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
that is when tomlin should have told him that his play calling isnt working, and that passing the ball is hurting the team.

That is one of the reasons I'm disappointed in Tomlin for not reining in Arians.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
i see your point, and get where you are coming friend.

steelers2685
12-12-2009, 02:30 AM
I haven't logged on here since February and am no needs here to hate. But here are my observations being a concerned Steelers fan:

1) I said since last year that BA has to go. He is predictable, and in the case this year, especially last night, does not make sense with his play calls. The screen pass to a receiver, the shotguns on 3rd down, the inability to call plays that allow for receivers to get open, all despicable and unbecoming of a NFL O.C. I don't care if Ben likes him or not. BA must go. I was frustrated with some of his playcalls during the playoffs last year, and have been very displeased with his playcalls this season from week 1.I disagree that he is trying to pad Ben's stats, but I instead feel that he simply does not have a grasp on what he is doing. We have enough talent on offense that we should be blowing teams out of the water point wise and should be unstoppable, like the Saints, or (makes me sick to say) Patriots pre-week 10. Arians is not calling effective plays.

i.e. Baltimore Ravens MNF game - He did NOT trust Dennis Dixon whatsoever. He did not provide Dennis Dixon with plays of confidence. On that series in OT, IIRC, he called run, run,a nd then forced Dennis to pass leading to the INT. Previously, when play calls were keeping the D on the edge of their seats, he was able to do some play action which led to a 30+ yard scramble (called back of course) but regardless, the offensive makeup on this team can make things happen, and a change needs to start at the top.

2) I am sorry, but Ben is not the same Ben who became the icon of the team after his record setting 15 or so straight wins back in 04-05. Think about it people. The number of sacks he has taken over his career is unfathomable. He was also sacked by a 2,500 pound vehicle and now has at least two concussions under his belt. For some reason, as much as he scrambles, has not yet learned to roll out of the pocket and throw the b all away like every other QB in the NFL knows how to do.By no means am I calling for a benching of him, but to be honest, he is rusty in many regards, and if I'm paying someone $102 million, I'd be on his ass ensuring that the basics are covered with this guy.

3) Defense - If I recall, our secondary has never been acceptionally good (maybe the Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake days from when I was a kid) but that's it. This secondary now is completely awful. William Gay cannot tackle, all he can do is beatbox. Ike Taylor has dropped the ball, both figuratively and literally, over the last few years and this season showed how vulnerable he is for someone of veteran status. He gets burned in coverage, cannot make up for it, and cannot judge correct yardage gaps when covering. Do I think bringing two rookies in to take their place is going to do anything? No. Do I think that Troy makes that big of a difference in this secondary? No. ALl of these guys are accountable for themselves, and they are not pulling their weight. Troy or no Troy, the secondary needs revamped through a free agent pickup of sorts and a draft pick or two to build for the future.

4) D-Line: First and foremost, something I have not seen brought up here yet is the fact that James Harrison gets manhandled on nearly every play. It is ludicrous that the referees allow him to be held on eveyr play. It happened last year, and its continuing to happen this year. It's sad to say that considering he received a huge contract and most think that he is taking it easy nowt hat he earned that. But the fact is that he is a dominant player who was the Defensive MVP last year and teams are being told to protect their QB at any and all cost from him.

5) Tomlin - I believe in Tomlin. I feel he is very knowledgeable, and unlike many of you calling for the Sheriff to receive desk duty, I must remind you of how much support you had for him back in February. I do not feel as if the Steelers are a bandwagon style of team, but noticing how some of you are calling out the coach is absurd and maybe you should go cheer for the Browns or Seahawks or somebody, for real. Tomlin I feel is a motivator, is a well-spoken individual, and a good coach who will be here for many years. His players let him down this year. They did not back up his fire, his passion to defend their title, in one of the best years that they have the chance to do it (Pats faltering, Denver being able to be beat, etc.) These players are to be held accountable. Against the Packers, being 10 days after this loss, they better come out and score a game like 42-17 to shut the media up, shut any of you wanna-be-diehards up, and redefine Steeler football. I know I'll be going ot the Ravens game :tt04: and will be cheering my heart out for them no matter what the playoff hopes are. I will also be supporting Tomlin no matter what.

6) Whisenhunt - I'm glad he went to the Cardinals. I'm not going to sit here and think what if's. I do think though that we need to find an OC with Whiz's kind of mentality. I remember Steeler games actually being exciting offensively when he was with us. The only reason they could be considered (notice I didn't say are) exciting within the lsat two years is because our Defense kept us in close games because the O can't close in on the red zone and come out with points.

OVERALL, BRUCE GOTS TO GO! Come on, say it with me, BRUCE GOTS TO GO! :applaudit:

Vincent
12-12-2009, 05:44 AM
This season was one of the saddest I've witnessed watching my Steelers for over 40 years. The bottom line is Tomlin is the coach. This team went from a SB Champ to a bottom dweller under his watch in one season, the biggest colapse EVER by a SB team. Every team has injuries and adjust, I'm tired of those excuses. If Tomlin was an honorable man he would resign.

Coming from the same perspective, I couldn't agree more.

Tomlin I feel is a motivator, is a well-spoken individual, and a good coach who will be here for many years.

I disagree. The reason this team has melted down is because MT hasn't prepared them to face these teams. He has said as much. I don't understand why people think he's a good coach. What can you point to that says "MT is a good coach"? I'm looking for it and I don't see it. Well spoken? Puh-leeze. Nothing but coach-speak, clichés, and of late, regrettable statements.

This coach has lost the team in a remarkably short period of time. With the talent we have, the cake schedule, and league standings, this team had an opportunity to repeat which has been allowed to vaporize in 5 short weeks. There is no excuse. When one dons the mantle of Head Coach, one takes responsibility for the program. The program is an epic failure. The Head Coach bears the responsibility.

steelerdave1969
12-12-2009, 06:06 AM
well, this will be Tomlin's first major test...up til this point it's been a pretty smooth ride with some minor bumpy patches along the way.

It's gonna be interesting to see what happens in the next month.

I like Tomlin and have since he got here, but right now I think the players need to get their heads on straight and let the offseason take care of things. But I also think that Tomlin has been winning with Not His Players.. but with Bill Cowher's players, I have thought and said this from the beginning.
But I do think that they will get it done. With all the injuries that we have had to endure especially on defense, it was a surprise to me that we were even 6-2 at the midway point. Troy's return will help but we miss Aaron Smith very much on that D Line and I really think that Lawrence Timmons is far from being what Larry Foote meant to our team.

plenewken
12-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Bingo and Bingo.

I don't want "Steelers Football" or "Smashmouth football" or "Pass happy football". I WANT WINNING FOOTBALL.

And the Statistics show, WINNING FOOTBALL IS BALANCED FOOTBALL.

Like the Colts being 2nd in passing and 32nd in running?

redst3
12-12-2009, 06:43 AM

I coach and teach and just laugh it off. the kids are good natured about it and when they see you can have a smile with them it forms a bond.

As for the rumors and topic at hand, any person who didnt see this team has lost its heart after watching that Browns game is in full denial. Something somewhere is badly wrong with this football team. The last three losses are against poorly coached and pretty much talentless teams.

revefsreleets
12-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Ben is "ignoring play calls"?

Does that mean this is all HIS fault then?

TackleMeBen
12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Ben is "ignoring play calls"?

Does that mean this is all HIS fault then?
no its willie parkers fault :chuckle:

markymarc
12-12-2009, 12:20 PM
There is no doubt this will be Mike Tomlin's first major test as HC. IMO how he responds to this horrible season will ultimately determine what kind of legacy he builds as the Steelers HC. The entire team needs to be held accountable. The coaches and players have let the Steeler Nation down as fans. While I truly believe changes are needed the remaining coaches and players really need to look in the mirror and get this turned around so we can witness another great season in 2010!

Busforever
12-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I don't know what really happens between players and Tomlin (maybe crisis, maybe Logan is just talking), but as a fan I can't say "ok Tomlin is a shit". We won Superbowl last year with him, we were in the playoffs two years ago... We are crossing a bad moment, but I don't know if we can isolate the problem like that.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-12-2009, 03:39 PM
I disagree. The reason this team has melted down is because MT hasn't prepared them to face these teams.

Hey, everyone!! We have a Kevin Colbert sighting!! Err...nope, just an angry fan.
I don't understand why people think he's a good coach. What can you point to that says "MT is a good coach"? I'm looking for it and I don't see it. Well spoken? Puh-leeze. Nothing but coach-speak, clichés, and of late, regrettable statements.
We won the Superbowl last year....that speaks for itself. Just "having Bill Cowher's team" isn't enough, as we are finding out this year. Just having talented players isn't enough, as we are finding out this year. They have to be coached....otherwise it is just a collection of 53 highly talented guys with no purpose and no plan. Whatever he did last year-- WORKED.

Seriously, the insanity levels around here are deafening. One bad season, and we are ready to throw Tomlin under the bus? REALLY?

Good thing we didn't give up on Cowher so easily during some of his rough patches, or we wouldn't have #5.... Does anybody remember our last few years in the AFC Central? I sure do... from (I think it was 1997 - 1999) we went 7-9, 6-10, and 8-8. Pretty ugly....

Have some patience and realize we can't win it all every frigging year. Tomlin has some adversity to face right now, but the Rooneys picked him for a reason. Give the guy a break and lets see how things play out.

revefsreleets
12-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Players win games.

Coaches lose them.

That's how fans see things. So the focus is now heavily tuned in the coaches direction right now. Just par for the course, really...

harts
12-13-2009, 11:43 AM

sarcasm?
I can only hope...

because this post is totally illogical....

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
sarcasm?
I can only hope...

because this post is totally illogical....

Another candidate for the top 10 dumbest posts of the year. The competition is mighty stiff this year.

Seriously, someone with some time on their hands should do a Letterman style list of the top 10 for this season.

harts
12-13-2009, 11:57 AM
some of these comments against Tomlin are people who really dont believe that a black man should be coaching this team...

That sentiment is Sooooooooo Obvious

3 years
2 winning seasons / 2 playoff teams
1 SUPER BOWL WIN

he gets AT LEAST A 3 year pass off the above and he gets the opportunity to fix it..

I do agree that whatever is going wrong ..... it ultimately falls upon MT ...
BUT
I am in NO WAY saying that MT should not be the coach -- MT just needs to do what he needs to do to fix it

harts
12-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Another candidate for the top 10 dumbest posts of the year. The competition is mighty stiff this year.

Seriously, someone with some time on their hands should do a Letterman style list of the top 10 for this season.

7619 posts?
you make the list..........
top 10 reasons why I have no life outside the internet
better yet seems like you have the time to make the list yourself

Nadroj 20
12-13-2009, 12:00 PM
7619 posts?
Im pretty sure she wasnt talking about your post but about the post you quoted about tomlin :thumbsup:

zulater
12-13-2009, 12:46 PM
some of these comments against Tomlin are people who really dont believe that a black man should be coaching this team...

3 years
1 SUPER BOWL WIN

he gets AT LEAST A 3 year pass off the above and he gets the opportunity to fix it..

BUT
I am in NO WAY saying that MT should not be the coach -- MT just needs to do what he needs to do to fix it

A year removed from winning the Super Bowl there were many Steelers fans who voiced their discontent with Cowher too. Maybe they didn't think people with big jaws should be coaching this team? :chuckle:

I hate when people try to infer race into every conversation. :banging: The Steelers just lost to 3 of the 4 worst teams in the league in a four week stretch. People are understandably frustrated. The head coach is an obvious target. He's a grown man getting a big check to do an important job. I'm sure he can deal with it. Why can't you? :coffee:

mesaSteeler
12-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Logan is dropping HUGE bombs from in the locker room today.

According to an unnamed source, the 3rd and 1 shotgun call caused everyone to check out mentally. Ben didn't change formation cause he didn't have the right subs...

Tune into this show. Wow! The team is in utter disarray.

Which show? If you have link to it please post it. It would be worth listening to.

Vincent
12-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Blow it out yer @$$ with that bull@#$%. Everybody in Steeler Nation would go giddy if a great man named Dungy woke up some morning and asked Art if he had an opening. "Black man" has no place in this discussion. The young man in question is in the pickle he is in because of his inexperience that has manifested itself in a glaring lack of resolve. The players, many black themselves, have responded.

Your sniveling race baiting is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pre-"post-partisan". :blah:

HometownGal
12-13-2009, 01:32 PM
7619 posts?
better yet seems like you have the time to make the list yourself

And I have over 19,000 posts - doesn't mean I live here day and night.

See the difference here is that stillers has 7,626 posts of which the majority are posts which greatly contribute to and enhance the discussions on the board.

You, on the other hand, have 25 posts - the majority of which are race-baiting and/or jibberish which you'd find on a techie geek board or an NAACP site.

BlastFurnace
12-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Which show? If you have link to it please post it. It would be worth listening to.

It's on ESPN Pittsburgh in the afternoon. That show, and the Savran show in the AM on the same station always gives a lot of great information.

HometownGal
12-13-2009, 01:34 PM
It's on ESPN Pittsburgh in the afternoon. That show, and the Savran show in the AM on the same station always gives a lot of great information.

I can almost guarantee you that if the Steelers FO gets wind of Logan blabbering (or exaggerating) what is going on inside of the Steelers LR, he's going to be in some deep poo poo and rightfully so.

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
And I have over 19,000 posts - doesn't mean I live here day and night.

See the difference here is that stillers has 7,626 posts of which the majority are posts which greatly contribute to and enhance the discussions on the board.

You, on the other hand, have 25 posts - the majority of which are race-baiting and/or jibberish which you'd find on a techie geek board or an NAACP site.

The majority? :chuckle:

mesaSteeler
12-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Thank you. :hatsoff:

BlastFurnace
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Thank you. :hatsoff:

Of course...with all the articles you post on the board, you are becoming my newspaper man.

Thanks for all the digging you do.

Tone's Toes
12-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Logan is full of it. He's just doing his job to get ESPN ratings. He's claiming a bunch of controversial things that will get all of you fired up, listening to his show and talking/posting about it on message boards etc. The 3rd & 1 play call sucked, but BA has gone shotgun a 1000 times before in the same situation. The players are in a bad mood and so are the coaches because of losing. Could be a few guys that are on the way out that are blabbing to Logan, but I'm not 100% sure of that either. I think he's just using this to help boost ratings.

BlastFurnace
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I think Logan is full of it. He's just doing his job to get ESPN ratings. He's claiming a bunch of controversial things that will get all of you fired up, listening to his show and talking/posting about it on message boards etc. The 3rd & 1 play call sucked, but BA has gone shotgun a 1000 times before in the same situation. The players are in a bad mood and so are the coaches because of losing. Could be a few guys that are on the way out that are blabbing to Logan, but I'm not 100% sure of that either. I think he's just using this to help boost ratings.

So I guess the posters on message boards are correct, but everyone who follows this team on a daily basis....Bouchette, Wexell, Savran, Lolley, Logan, etc are wrong.

I think it's fairly obvious that there is a disconnect on this team. Unless they want a repeat in 2010, they need to get whatever is wrong fixed.

zulater
12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I can almost guarantee you that if the Steelers FO gets wind of Logan blabbering (or exaggerating) what is going on inside of the Steelers LR, he's going to be in some deep poo poo and rightfully so.

I would hope that the FO has better things to do with their time than to stifle the local press.Killing the mesenger has never been an effective way of dealing with problems. Granted he could be exaggerating. But if he is he'll soon find his sources going silent on him, so I'm inclined to believe he's mostly on target with his comments.

Of course 95% of the locker room problems would clear up with a season ending winning streak. winning will always be the greatest deodorant. :tt04:

Tone's Toes
12-13-2009, 04:54 PM
So I guess the posters on message boards are correct, but everyone who follows this team on a daily basis....Bouchette, Wexell, Savran, Lolley, Logan, etc are wrong.

I think it's fairly obvious that there is a disconnect on this team. Unless they want a repeat in 2010, they need to get whatever is wrong fixed.

Yeah, I guess you have a higher opinion of the Pittsburgh media than me. Bouchette, Wexell, Savran, Lolley, Logan either don't play on the team anymore or have never played on the team at all. I don't think they know much more than the fans to be honest, especially Savran, Wexell, Lolley & Bouchette. They have no real relationships with these players. I guess Logan could call on former teammates, but I still think those guys know that controversy sells in times like this. They've been around long enough to know that. They all have radio shows or articles that they want to get people to read or listen to etc. They can't get ratings and they can't get people interested in articles and radio shows about how much this teams sucks right now, so they talk & write about controversies. I just don't see the team being that fired up about a 3rd & 1 call. BA usually goes out of the shotgun in 3 & 1 situations anyway. He's been doing it the majority of the time since he took over as OC 3 years ago. All of the sudden Logan etc. are claiming Tomlin has lost the locker room because of that call. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Preacher
12-13-2009, 05:02 PM

3 years
1 SUPER BOWL WIN

BUT

That is the stupidest thing I have read on this board in a long time. Amazing that I have now typed that line about 3 times in the last week and a half. This board is descending into the depths with ignorance like this.

One person...ONE PERSON said that it was the Rooney Rule which got MT hired. That person realized he was wrong, and apologized.

To state that ANYONE thinks MT should be coach or not be coach cause of his race is absolutely stupid. That is about the equivalent of me saying you said that cause you hate all white people (even though you may white).

I DO think it is quite dumb to call for Tomlin's head. But that stupidity is outmatched by yours in this thread.

HometownGal
12-13-2009, 05:38 PM
The majority? :chuckle:

Well - if I would have said "all" - I would have been accused (again) of "favortism" and the infamous parable "I know how it is around here". :chuckle:

HometownGal
12-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Granted he could be exaggerating.

I believe he is grossly exaggerating but that's just how I see it. Drama sells. It would surprise me beyond reason if the guys are pointing their fingers at each other or the coaching staff. Our guys are professionals first and foremost and I don't believe Art II would put up with that and neither would his father, who I am sure is being kept apprised of every minute detail.

Of course 95% of the locker room problems would clear up with a season ending winning streak. winning will always be the greatest deodorant. :tt04:

See - we agree on something, zu. :drink:

zulater
12-13-2009, 05:59 PM
That is the stupidest thing I have read on this board in a long time. Amazing that I have now typed that line about 3 times in the last week and a half. This board is descending into the depths with ignorance like this.

One person...ONE PERSON said that it was the Rooney Rule which got MT hired. That person realized he was wrong, and apologized.

To state that ANYONE thinks MT should be coach cause of his raise is absolutely stupid. That is about the equivalent of me saying you said that cause you hate all white people (even though you may white).

I DO think it is quite dumb to call for Tomlin's head. But that stupidity is outmatched by yours in this thread.

I don't consider myself stupid, but I do beleive the Rooney rule played a part in Tomlin's hiring. The Steelers had a very strong in- house candidate in Whisenhunt and in normal circumstances he probably would have been rubber stamped through. But because of that rule being in place Tomlin was given an interview despite what at the time was a limited resume in respect to that position. But all that did was get him in the door. The reason he was hired was because he blew away the Rooney's in the interview proccess.

Now all we need is for that guy to reemerge. And I think there's a good chance that he will, I think Tomlin will take this team by the throat starting with the first OTA in the spring and lay down a new set of rules. :tt02:

harts
12-13-2009, 06:00 PM

To state that ANYONE thinks MT should be coach cause of his raise is absolutely stupid. That is about the equivalent of me saying you said that cause you hate all white people (even though you may white).

Reading these posts.... it's pretty obvious... what I said is true... people calling for Whiz over Tomlin is ludicrous......

I just read - comprehend - and disseminate my beliefs....

If MT goes through multiple losing or mediocore seasons like Cowher did the "patience" wont be there...

Right or wrong MT is responsible....but MT doesnt deserve this treatment from everyone else

Pretty soon the Rooneys will need to put on one of those "We support our Coach Conference":coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Ty Willingham anybody?

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I don't consider myself stupid, but I do beleive the Rooney rule played a part in Tomlin's hiring. The Steelers had a very strong in- house candidate in Whisenhunt and in normal circumstances he probably would have been rubber stamped through. But because of that rule being in place Tomlin was given an interview despite what at the time was a limited resume in respect to that position. But all that did was get him in the door. The reason he was hired was because he blew away the Rooney's in the interview proccess.

Now all we need is for that guy to reemerge. And I think there's a good chance that he will, I think Tomlin will take this team by the throat starting with the first OTA in the spring and lay down a new set of rules. :tt02:

:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

The Rooney Rule had already been met. The Rooneys had already interviewed Ron Rivera before they interviewed Mike Tomlin.

It was a recommendation by Tony Dungy that got him through the door.

zulater
12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Reading these posts.... it's pretty obvious... what I said is true... people calling for Whiz over Tomlin is ludicrous......

I just read - comprehend - and disseminate my beliefs....

If MT goes through multiple losing or mediocore seasons like Cowher did the "patience" wont be there...

Right or wrong MT is responsible....but MT doesnt deserve this treatment from everyone else

Pretty soon the Rooneys will need to put on one of those "We support our Coach Conference":coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Ty Willingham anybody?

First off Whisenhunt vs. Tomlin debates are fair and logical, not ludicrous, as you suggest.. Like it or not the two will be forever linked due to the circumstanses of their hiring, just as Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger will be forever linked due to the events that took place in the 2004 draft. So is a Giant fan racist if he laments the fact that his team chose Eli over Ben or Rivers? Of course not because they're all white. But if one of them was black you would no doubt interject race into the equation. :coffee:

Now as to Cowher. He had 6 winning seasons before he posted his first losing season.Then he had two losing seasons followed up by 5 winning seasons in the next 6 years. That gets you a lot of equity in these parts. And Cowher never had a run of games comparable to these last 5 this team has had. He didn't lose games when his team took leads into the 4th quarter. And he sure as hell didn't lose games to teams as bad as the ones we have lately.

Now that's not to say I put this on Tmlin. But damn if you can't figure out why people are going off the deep end a little at the moment, well. there's not much to be said then I guess. :doh:

zulater
12-13-2009, 06:26 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

The Rooney Rule had already been met. The Rooneys had already interviewed Ron Rivera before they interviewed Mike Tomlin.

It was a recommendation by Tony Dungy that got him through the door.

Well the Rooney's have always been overacheivers haven't they? :chuckle: And again I'm not saying he got hired because of the Rooney rule, but I think it played a part in getting him into the room. Even if just a small one. Oh and last thing, I'm in favor of the Rooney rule. You look at the paucity of black head coaches in Divsion 1 football and there's no question that if you don't force administrators to look at a diverse field of candidates they usually wont.

harts
12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
First off Whisenhunt vs. Tomlin debates are fair and logical, not ludicrous, as you suggest..

Now as to Cowher. He had 6 winning seasons before he posted his first losing season.Then he had two losing seasons followed up by 5 winning seasons in the next 6 years. That gets you a lot of equity in these parts. And Cowher never had a run of games comparable to these last 5 this team has had. He didn't lose games when his team took leads into the 4th quarter. And he sure as hell didn't lose games to teams as bad as the ones we have lately.

Now that's not to say I put this on Tmlin. But damn if you can't figure out why people are going off the deep end a little at the moment, well. there's not much to be said then I guess. :doh:
I understand the anger this season has been a HUGE disaster.
BUT
BUT
BUT
You dont call for a head coach's head less than a Year after that coach won a Super Bowl....
You just dont .. You dont compare him to anyone ... you cant really........ he was the youngest coach to EVER win a Super Bowl. and he did it in his second year!

The hell with what Cowher accomplished compared to Tomlin... the name of the game is winning Super Bowls thats it......

MT is responsible he is the captain of the ship ...this is his fault his responsibility....

But calling for his head at this point is illogical and asinine and is rooted in things much deeper than people are really saying because they are afraid of the backlash that may come as a result of them saying what they really feel

People are sugarcoating things.... it's very apparent to me ......... Whiz vs Tomlin is not relevant here... Sorry

The better man is coaching the Steelers .. Last Years Super Bowl proves that

Stevie Wonder can see what's going on in these threads

beSteelmyheart
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM

Really?

We had to watch on the computer & I couldn't friggin believe it, either. Not only that but the way they were playing in general.
I can't remember the last time I walked away from a Steelers game & I went to bed around 9:30 that night-I never go to bed that early unless I'm sick. The last thing I said was "Enjoy your victory" to my Browns fan fiancee.
I have no problem with Tomlin & think that some of the comparisons to Cowher & Whiz are unfair. Tomlin is obviously his own man-the Rooneys hired him for a damned good reason & wh am I to argue with that? He'll get it straightened out.

ricardisimo
12-13-2009, 06:55 PM

3 years
1 SUPER BOWL WIN

BUT

While I have no illusions about our so-called "colorblind, post-race" society. that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious: Obama is a shameless, worthless, rightwing corporate stoolie and a bloodthirsty warmonger, and Tomlin has a whole lotta on-the-job learning to do . Sparing them from deserved criticism is not "colorblind".

Rick5895
12-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Tomlin is a great coach, IMO. When Cowher retired from the Steelers, I wanted Russ Grimm to be coach, I still think Grimm will be an outstanding HC. When Noll left, I hoped the Steelers would have hired Joe Greene, who was up for the job at the time.
Mike has done a great job, we have had a down year, he is responsible, to a larger degree yes hi is, But to throw him out with the bathwater now would be bordering on insane.
I , for one, am expecting a great season in 2010, 11 or 12 wins and a serious threat ant SB # 7.

harts
12-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Obama is a shameless, worthless, rightwing corporate stoolie and a bloodthirsty warmonger, and Tomlin has a whole lotta on-the-job learning to do . Sparing them from deserved criticism is not "colorblind".

Obama?
Why here?

Agreed ..............it's obvious that MT has some on the job learning to do.......but from that same "lack of experience" came a Super Bowl win

He's a young coach who is gonna make mistakes....what boils down to is can he work through these mistakes and be better as a result

That is what you evaluate and make decisions on when you hire people who lack experience....

There will be ups and downs...but through those ups and downs the question is "are you getting the best production based on your hire" ?

Would I trade a MT 10-6, Super Bowl Win, and 6-7 season for a Whiz 8-8, 9-7 (super Bowl Loss), 8-4

I wouldnt and any sensible person wouldnt either ... I dont care what "talent" was inherited you still have to coach -- this season proves that

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
The Rooney Rule really tied up ownerships hands. They had to hire Tomlin or they would have looked like hypocrites.

SteelCityMom
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM

I see you have totally erased the 2003 season from your memory banks lol. Does losing to the expansion Texans ring a bell? The Steelers went 6-10 and had a horrid 5 game losing streak in the middle of the season (after going 13-3 and losing to the Pats in the AFCCG in '01 and going 10-5 and losing in the divisionals in '02). Man, talk about letting a season get away from you! I bet if this message board was around it would sound eerily familiar.

Let's just not act like Cowher was a god or anything. His second year was far from spectacular (9-7 and sneaking into the playoffs as a WC...which is still an attainable record for the Steelers this year). Remind me again what Tomlin did in his second year?

SteelCityMom
12-13-2009, 07:33 PM
The Rooney Rule really tied up ownerships hands. They had to hire Tomlin or they would have looked like hypocrites.

Pathetic. Just pathetic.

T&B fan
12-13-2009, 08:18 PM

WOW relly your kidding me with that one .. :screwy:

Time for you to put the sheet and hood away ... :nono:

beSteelmyheart
12-13-2009, 08:23 PM
While I have no illusions about our so-called "colorblind, post-race" society. that doesn't mean we can't point out the obvious: Obama is a shameless, worthless, rightwing corporate stoolie and a bloodthirsty warmonger, and Tomlin has a whole lotta on-the-job learning to do . Sparing them from deserved criticism is not "colorblind".
Oh for crying out loud, what in the hell does Obama have to do with the Pittsburgh Steelers??????? Let's keep the political crap in the Locker Room where it belongs.

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Pathetic. Just pathetic.

Go ask people who work at the Yonkers Raceway, how the Rooney's run a business and ask them how pathetic that stateent is.

CargoJon
12-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Agreed ..............it's obvious that MT has some on the job learning to do.......but from that same "lack of experience" came a Super Bowl win

He's a young coach who is gonna make mistakes....what boils down to is can he work through these mistakes and be better as a result

That is what you evaluate and make decisions on when you hire people who lack experience....

There will be ups and downs...but through those ups and downs the question is "are you getting the best production based on your hire" ?

Would I trade a MT 10-6, Super Bowl Win, and 6-7 season for a Whiz 8-8, 9-7 (super Bowl Loss), 8-4

I wouldnt and any sensible person wouldnt either ... I dont care what "talent" was inherited you still have to coach -- this season proves that
Bravo. :applaudit:

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 08:28 PM
WOW relly your kidding me with that one .. :screwy:

Time for you to put the sheet and hood away ... :nono:

Time for you to go down to Wegman's get POP and get some craaaack.

pepsyman1
12-13-2009, 08:31 PM

That's a pretty clueless statement.

zulater
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
:I see you have totally erased the 2003 season from your memory banks lol. Does losing to the expansion Texans ring a bell? The Steelers went 6-10 and had a horrid 5 game losing streak in the middle of the season (after going 13-3 and losing to the Pats in the AFCCG in '01 and going 10-5 and losing in the divisionals in '02). Man, talk about letting a season get away from you! I bet if this message board was around it would sound eerily familiar.

Let's just not act like Cowher was a god or anything. His second year was far from spectacular (9-7 and sneaking into the playoffs as a WC...which is still an attainable record for the Steelers this year). Remind me again what Tomlin did in his second year?

Yeah losing 5 straight with Tommy Maddox as your qb is the same as losing 5 straight with Ben Roethlsiberger and a defending Super Bowl champion. :doh:

Talk about a master of distortion.:blah: To compare that losing steak to this one is absurd. In 03 a mediocre Steeler team lost 5 straight you're right. But 4 of those losses were against playoff teams. The 12-4 Titans, the 10-6 Broncos, the 12-4 Rams, and the 10-6 Seahawks. Yeah that's just the same as losing to the 1-11 Browns, the 3-11 Chiefs,and the 4-9 Raiders, at home. :noidea:

And I know all about what Tomlin did his second year and appreciate it. ( btw find the post where I've called for his job, you wont because I haven't) But guess what Brian Billick won a Super Bowl with the Ravens his second year, where is he now? Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl his first year with the Bucs, who's he coaching today? Same with Barry Switzer, George Seifert... do I need to go on? One Super Bowl win doesn't make you for life. Nor does one poor season. The jury's still out on Tomlin. To say otherwise is foolhardy. I don't fault or look down upon those that express doubts about him as a result.

Give it another year of so and we'll all have a better idea of how good coach Tomlin is. My optimistic viewpoint is that he's going through some growing pains. Sometimes managing success can be the hardest task of all. He's a smart man, I think he'll learn from where he went wrong, fix the coaching staff and with a little luck and health we should be right in the mix again next year.

rich4eagle
12-13-2009, 08:36 PM
:tt03::thumbsup:http://stations.espn.go.com/stations/espnradio1250/show?showId=thedrive

Direct audio link:

I think there is a lot of merit to the criticism of Tomlin. I questioned his game day play calling two years ago when the missed the playoffs. This year it seemed to me he played soft when he needed to attack and too often got too conservatvie at crunch time. Further he never addressed a lousy special teams play ALL YEAR. No excuse for that.

He lost three games himself at crunch time by not being aggressive. The worst was against KC when he allowed special teams to fail again at end game and then after winning the coin toss..............elected to punt inside the KC 40 on fourth and two. Lousy decision and he has made many lousy decisions this year.

He should have found someone who could kick off and not be a liability on the kicking team.

He should have not allowed the defense or directed the defense to play soft end game so many times

He should not have allowed Brady Quinn last week to never have pressure at QB. He should never have allowed Ben to be sacked eight times against a makeshift defense.

Right now, I think Mike Tomlin is the most overrated coach in professional football.

I hope I am wrong:tt::tt03::tt::tt04::tt02:

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 08:42 PM
That's a pretty clueless statement.

Oh, talk about clueless you come from dump of Philly. suburb.

HometownGal
12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Time for you to go down to Wegman's get POP and get some craaaack.

Time for you to shut your yap before you get tossed back into cyberspace pal. Your statement above is about as pathetic a statement that I've seen on this board.

zulater
12-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Obama?
Why here?

Whisenhunt inherited a culture of losing, a franchise that had been to the playoffs one time since 1983, the Bidwells, and what was considered a broken down has been for a quarterback.

Tomlin inherited a team with the best winning tradition in the NFL, a team a year removed from a Super Bowl win, the Rooneys, and a 25 year old franchise quarterback.

Not exactly the same is it?

Right now the Cardinals play better special teams, commit less penalties, turn over the ball less. and are better along both lines. As a long term commodity I'd say Whiz's stock is probably selling a little higher today than Tomlin's is.

I'm not saying I don't have hope that Tomlin will get the ship righted soon. But ripping on Whisenhunt is ridiculous. Hell Id' bet Tomlin would be the first one to say that Whiz is doing a great job with the Cardinals.

harts
12-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm not saying I don't have hope that Tomlin will get the ship righted soon. But ripping on Whisenhunt is ridiculous. Hell Id' bet Tomlin would be the first one to say that Whiz is doing a great job with the Cardinals.

Whiz does what whiz does I wish him the best
I am a Steeler Fan though
People are saying that Whiz should have been the coach and MT should not be the coach...
Bottom line
MT vs Whiz = 1-1
But MT has the Super Bowl win Whiz doesnt

the result dictates that MT was the better hire

those saying Whiz should be the coach have different agendas
regardless
NO one should be calling for MT's head
MT is a proven winner
A Super Bowl winner without a losing season "yet" - 3 years of coaching experience total

MT having to deal with "replace the coach posts" is ludicrous

That's really my only point -- MT is responsible for this season as he was responsible for the Super Bowl win last year people are so quick to forget.............

He got us to the promised land and made good.......this year it seems he has done the exact opposite
ok
he messed up if you want to take it there
let him fix it he is only 36 years old... not perfect

NO way should people be questioning him as to if he should be replaced or was he the best hire for the Steelers

it's to early for replacement talk proven his track record and who hired him

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Time for you to shut your yap before you get tossed back into cyberspace pal. Your statement above is about as pathetic a statement that I've seen on this board.

IT takes someone from Western New York to get that joke.

madtowndrunkard
12-13-2009, 09:46 PM
First off Whisenhunt vs. Tomlin debates are fair and logical, not ludicrous, as you suggest.. Like it or not the two will be forever linked due to the circumstanses of their hiring, just as Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger will be forever linked due to the events that took place in the 2004 draft. So is a Giant fan racist if he laments the fact that his team chose Eli over Ben or Rivers? Of course not because they're all white. But if one of them was black you would no doubt interject race into the equation. :coffee:

Good post. Almost makes too much sense. I'm sure you'll get blasted for speaking the truth.

madtowndrunkard
12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I see you have totally erased the 2003 season from your memory banks lol. Does losing to the expansion Texans ring a bell? The Steelers went 6-10 and had a horrid 5 game losing streak in the middle of the season (after going 13-3 and losing to the Pats in the AFCCG in '01 and going 10-5 and losing in the divisionals in '02). Man, talk about letting a season get away from you! I bet if this message board was around it would sound eerily familiar.

Losing to the Texans was embarrassing but if you watched the game you would know that was a one man show. Not even close to as bad as losing to the Cheifs, Browns, and Raiders all in a month. I've been watching the steelers since the mid 70's and this is the worst stretch I've ever seen....you'd be lying to your self if you thought otherwise.

zulater
12-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Whiz does what whiz does I wish him the best
I am a Steeler Fan though
People are saying that Whiz should have been the coach and MT should not be the coach...
Bottom line
MT vs Whiz = 1-1
But MT has the Super Bowl win Whiz doesnt

the result dictates that MT was the better hire

those saying Whiz should be the coach have different agendas
regardless
NO one should be calling for MT's head
MT is a proven winner
A Super Bowl winner without a losing season "yet" - 3 years of coaching experience total

MT having to deal with "replace the coach posts" is ludicrous

That's really my only point -- MT is responsible for this season as he was responsible for the Super Bowl win last year people are so quick to forget.............

He got us to the promised land and made good.......this year it seems he has done the exact opposite
ok
he messed up if you want to take it there
let him fix it he is only 36 years old... not perfect

NO way should people be questioning him as to if he should be replaced or was he the best hire for the Steelers

it's to early for replacement talk proven his track record and who hired him

People have short memories, sports fans in particuliar. It's human nature to question those in position of authority when things don't go as expected or planned. Patricularly when they stray as far of the path as this year's team has done. There's no reason to make it something it's not, to attach racial overtones to the normal over reaction of fans. :tt:

As far as the whisenhunt vs Tomlin question, I'l admit I have my doubts about whether Whiz would have been the better hire and it has nothing to do with race.My major problem with Tomlin is Bruce Arains. I just don't think he ( Arains) pushes Ben hard enough to be all that he can be. I don't want my qb dictating the offensive game plan to my OC ( that's my perception of the Arians- Roethlisberger dynamic) I want my OC giving Ben hell when he misreads a defense, takes needless sacks or senselessy throws away a red zone possession. The present system of Ben will be Ben just isn't working right now. I liked the fact that Ben didn't care much for Whiz. I think quite often the bosses we like the least are the ones that get the most out of us. Particuarly someone who has maturity issues.

So it comes down to this for me. Get us an OC that makes Ben grow as a qb and a man, even if it's despite himself, and I think you'll see this offense drag us right back to the top of the heap even allowing for a few defensive shortcomings. Do that and then I'm all about Tomlin! :tt02:

madtowndrunkard
12-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Some people keep bringing up our 8-8 season in 06. Why don't you tell the whole story?

What happened after winning the SB in 05? Anyone recall Ben bouncing his head off a wind shield? Anyone recall Ben playing like absolute CRAP the first half of that season? Anyone recall what the steelers did in the final 8 games of that 8-8 year?

You cannot compare this season to that 8-8 season. Unless you aren't a steeler fan and you have no clue what happened in 06 then sure this year looks like 06. Fact of the matter is in 08 Ben's play killed us in the first half of the season. Cowher and his staff quickly adjusted things, rallied his players, and went on to win 6 or 7 of the last 8 games that year. Cowher took a bad situation and made it respectable...then called it quits.

This year we have a healthy QB playing the best ball of his career. Coach Tomlin completely ignored the ST's and it blew up in his face. Cracks started to appear all over this team and the damn burst. We are in the midst of the worst run the steelers have had in the last 30 years. The only similarity between this season and 06 is the fact we were coming off a SB win.

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Tomlin has won the big one, so he is set for life in Pittsburgh and will leave when he wants.

madtowndrunkard
12-13-2009, 10:12 PM
To compare Whiz to Tomlin is a slap in the face to Whiz. If you honestly think Tomlin is a better coach then Whiz then you are just being a homer.

Ask any football expert, NFL coach, or analyst who the better coach is and not one of them would say Tomlin. Just look at Whiz's success since taking over as the OC...then look at what he has done for the Cardinals. Yea we beat Whiz in the SB....but don't forget who the under dog was.....he nearly pulled off one of the biggest SB upsets ever. Not to mention we clearly had more talent then the Cards....plus SB experience.

Is Tomlin a good coach? Maybe. We don't know yet. To even suggest he's better then Cowher is ridiculous. Tomlin was in cruise control his first two seasons. His staff and players ran that team...we played the same style of ball in 08 as we played during Cowhers last few years. That SB trophy last year is as much Bill Cowher's as it is Mike Tomlin's.

This season we made a philosophical change to the offense. It has proven to be a total disaster. Injuries, poor play by certain players, and an offensive collapse have lead to our defense falling apart.

None of this crap ever occurred under Cowher. Sure he had bad seasons. He also had half the talent. He also built a resume that granted him a pass when those bad times happened. His players never quit on him and he managed to put a team in the playoffs year after year lead by the likes of Kordel Stewart, Neil Odonell, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, etc. Rarely did a Bill Cowher team under achieve.

zulater
12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Losing to the Texans was embarrassing but if you watched the game you would know that was a one man show. Not even close to as bad as losing to the Cheifs, Browns, and Raiders all in a month. I've been watching the steelers since the mid 70's and this is the worst stretch I've ever seen....you'd be lying to your self if you thought otherwise.

Yeah I forgot that loss to the Texans was in 2002 not 03. :doh: Anyway if anything highlighting that loss goes totally against the point she was trying to make. Because the Steelers bounced back from that loss and won their final 3 regular season games, including a road trouncing of eventual Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay.

They then went on and won a playoff game and then took the Titans to the final gun in the divional playoff game. Yeah great example of a tailspin there. :flap:

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 10:22 PM
This season, Tomlin was a friend to the players and thus broke employer employee bond. Once you have lost the fear factor from your boss your production goes down.

GodfatherofSoul
12-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Some people keep bringing up our 8-8 season in 06. Why don't you tell the whole story?

What happened after winning the SB in 05? Anyone recall Ben bouncing his head off a wind shield? Anyone recall Ben playing like absolute CRAP the first half of that season? Anyone recall what the steelers did in the final 8 games of that 8-8 year?

You cannot compare this season to that 8-8 season. Unless you aren't a steeler fan and you have no clue what happened in 06 then sure this year looks like 06. Fact of the matter is in 08 Ben's play killed us in the first half of the season. Cowher and his staff quickly adjusted things, rallied his players, and went on to win 6 or 7 of the last 8 games that year. Cowher took a bad situation and made it respectable...then called it quits.

This year we have a healthy QB playing the best ball of his career. Coach Tomlin completely ignored the ST's and it blew up in his face. Cracks started to appear all over this team and the damn burst. We are in the midst of the worst run the steelers have had in the last 30 years. The only similarity between this season and 06 is the fact we were coming off a SB win.

But, in the 2005 season, Cowher kept Ben in about 3 games that he had no business starting, including the last time the craptacular Raiders embarrassed us (didn't they win only a couple games that season?).

Rockonsteel
12-14-2009, 12:21 AM
Like the Colts being 2nd in passing and 32nd in running?

The Colts, like the Pats, are exceptions to the 'balance' rule. There is no Peyton Manning on the Steelers. Nor is there a Tom Brady. Ben is not that kind of QB. QBs who read defenses quickly and get the ball out of their hands. STOP trying to force him into that kind of system. Just like John Elway needed balance added to his offense, so does Ben. Because that's the way the Colts do things, you wanna see the Steelers do it? What works in one place, isn't necessarily what's going to work someplace else.

OX1947
12-14-2009, 01:08 AM
I think the media, Steelers fans and everyone in general are looking way too deep into this. One major fault in all of this was Tomlin's stubbornness not to run the ball in the 4th. I cant figure out what the deal is with his running back rotation. He takes Mendenhall out when he is hot, puts Moore in to do god knows what. And then in between that he puts Parker in who cant run.

if Tomlin uses the Cowher rules on a 10 point leads in the fourth, the Steelers win 4 more games. I'm trying to figure out why he didnt do it? Has there been anyone to ask him this?

SteelCityMom
12-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Yeah I forgot that loss to the Texans was in 2002 not 03. :doh: Anyway if anything highlighting that loss goes totally against the point she was trying to make. Because the Steelers bounced back from that loss and won their final 3 regular season games, including a road trouncing of eventual Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay.

They then went on and won a playoff game and then took the Titans to the final gun in the divional playoff game. Yeah great example of a tailspin there. :flap:

You're right, the loss to the Texans was in '02, that's my bad. I just equated one of the most embarrassing Steelers performances with one of their worst seasons under Cowher, which is the one I was commenting on, 2003.

And very little talent on that team in '03? You do realize a lot of players we have now were playing then right? That was a team coming off of two very good seasons and just broke. I know, I know, you're going to say "but it was Maddox and not Ben"...the same Tommy Maddox who was the comeback player of the year in '02. The only reason that Maddox played like crap in '03 was because he got gun shy after nearly breaking his neck against the Titans in the playoffs.

My whole point here though is, you're basically saying that Cowher got a pass for a few bad seasons because he won a lot of seasons (even though it took damn near his entire tenure with Pitt to win a SB). I'm saying (and not necessarily towards you, b/c I understand that you're willing to give Tomlin the benefit of the doubt for pretty much the same reasons I am), that some of these knee-jerk reactions from people need to stop. Tomlin has had one bad season out of 3...I think we can wait to see how he fixes things before calling for his head.

SteelCityMom
12-14-2009, 02:30 AM
:tt03::thumbsup:

I think there is a lot of merit to the criticism of Tomlin. I questioned his game day play calling two years ago when the missed the playoffs.

This is the first year under Tomlin that the Steelers won't make the playoffs.

He lost three games himself at crunch time by not being aggressive. The worst was against KC when he allowed special teams to fail again at end game and then after winning the coin toss..............elected to punt inside the KC 40 on fourth and two. Lousy decision and he has made many lousy decisions this year.

He should have found someone who could kick off and not be a liability on the kicking team.

He should have not allowed the defense or directed the defense to play soft end game so many times

He should not have allowed Brady Quinn last week to never have pressure at QB. He should never have allowed Ben to be sacked eight times against a makeshift defense.

Right now, I think Mike Tomlin is the most overrated coach in professional football.

Gosh, I know the coaches have faltered this year, Tomlin included, but I didn't realize that he was out there on the field too allowing the D to get burnt and special teams to break down lol.

Seriously, most overrated coach in football? Just wow.

Sharkissle29
12-14-2009, 02:36 AM
This is the first year under Tomlin that the Steelers won't make the playoffs.

Gosh, I know the coaches have faltered this year, Tomlin included, but I didn't realize that he was out there on the field too allowing the D to get burnt and special teams to break down lol.

Seriously, most overrated coach in football? Just wow.

haha i wouldnt pay much attention to him....he lacks some knowledge, as you've already pointed out

it was 4th and 5 on the 38 when tomlin decided to punt for what its worth....

most overrated poster on steelersfever

ricardisimo
12-14-2009, 02:42 AM
Obama?
Why here?

My assumption was that you lived in the U.S. and were privy to all of the idiocy on "both sides" of the discussion about Obama's race; both the racism and the race-baiting. Part of that was certainly meant to silence dissent against the new president by raising the specter of racism, whether it was there or not. Your comment (you raised the race issue, not me) sounded a whole lot like that. My point was that I'm not a racist for pointing out Obama's worthlessness, any more than some schmo in Bloomfield is for demanding Tomlin's head.

Fans everywhere tend to be overblown, and even blowhards. Pittsburgh's no different from New York in that regard. People everywhere get a whole lot of free psychotherapy by talking sports with their friends and co-workers and people they don't even know, and by pouring their joy and rage into this little part of their world. There's no reason to knock that.

Mind you, I'm also noticing the comment from this Shellshock person right after your reply, and I am in no way deluded about how his brain works. Pathetic, indeed.

Preacher
12-14-2009, 04:10 AM
That is another idiotic post.

Just about as bad as saying that Whiz should have been rubber stamped through.

When was the last time the Steelers hired from the inside for a head coach position?

Anyone? ANYONE?

Thank you. That is what I thought.

Tomlin is getting ripped on because he is new, he is young, and people in Steelers nation hate change. Most of them think we should still play football like it is 1960... with very little to no throwing the ball.

However, how dare you "Hartz" or anyone else come in here and ASSUME to know that EVERY person here, or a great MAJORITY of them here, are all doing it because of race. Talk about being racist.

I guess people calling for Ben's head and Arian's head are racist too right? Oops, their white. I guess not. It must just be their perceived performance there.

scsteeler
12-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Its the Media's job to go the extreme of things while reporting what is supposed to be truth. Of course they will be calling for Tomlin's head but the thing to do now is to ride this thing out and realize you are going to have some years where the team just does not look good like now.

Vincent
12-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Is Tomlin a good coach? Maybe. We don't know yet. To even suggest he's better then Cowher is ridiculous. Tomlin was in cruise control his first two seasons. His staff and players ran that team...we played the same style of ball in 08 as we played during Cowhers last few years. That SB trophy last year is as much Bill Cowher's as it is Mike Tomlin's.

This season we made a philosophical change to the offense. It has proven to be a total disaster. Injuries, poor play by certain players, and an offensive collapse have lead to our defense falling apart.

None of this crap ever occurred under Cowher. Sure he had bad seasons. He also had half the talent. He also built a resume that granted him a pass when those bad times happened. His players never quit on him and he managed to put a team in the playoffs year after year lead by the likes of Kordel Stewart, Neil Odonell, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, etc. Rarely did a Bill Cowher team under achieve.

One major fault in all of this was Tomlin's stubbornness not to run the ball in the 4th. I cant figure out what the deal is with his running back rotation. He takes Mendenhall out when he is hot, puts Moore in to do god knows what. And then in between that he puts Parker in who cant run.

if Tomlin uses the Cowher rules on a 10 point leads in the fourth, the Steelers win 4 more games. I'm trying to figure out why he didnt do it? Has there been anyone to ask him this?

This, ironically, from Cleveland.com... http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/10/theres_no_hangover_for_the_pit.html

In 15 seasons under former coach Bill Cowher, the Steelers were an incredible 111-1-1 when holding a lead of more than 10 points.

Acerinox
12-14-2009, 09:40 AM
I guess the questions we need answered on Tomlin are:
WHY did he promise to unleash hell - and clearly did nothing of the sort?
WHY did he promise to shake up the team - and then, at best, rotated the CBs for a few series?
and WHY does he keep on talking about the players' "fight", when for the first time I can remember, they have none?

I find these things extremely WEIRD and difficult to explain.
Is he being overawed by player power here? Is he too young to really rule the locker-room? Or is he finding it impossible to get out of the "softly, softly, I'm here for you" style that worked so well the first few years?
I would love to know what Coach LeBeau is thinking right now.

The_WARDen
12-14-2009, 10:11 AM
yes, I can't recall any bad times under Cowher.

Man, talk about revisionist's history????

:banging:

Bluedust
12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I dunno, I find all this hysteria pretty damn funny.

zulater
12-14-2009, 11:39 AM
yes, I can't recall any bad times under Cowher.

Man, talk about revisionist's history????

:banging:

I don't recall a 5 game losing streak to rival the one they're currently mired in happening in the past 40 years.

We lost to the then1-11 Browns, the 3-8 Raiders, the 2- 8 Chiefs. For a team this talented those should be automatic wins. Did we catch them at the wrong time? Don't think so. The Raiders had no trouble resuming their losing ways at home against the mediocre Skins this week. The Chiefs are 0-3 since doing us, including crushing defeats against the Broncos and Chargers, not to mention a home loss to the Bills.

There's no revisionist history required, this is the worst it's been in 40 years. It's inexcusable, and unexplainable that a team with this much talent can be this bad over that period of time.

Name me one coach in the league that has done a poorer job than Tomlin and staff has this season?:tap:

Again I'm not advocating firing coach Sound bite er Tomlin. For one it's an exercise in futility, it's not the Steelers way of doing things. And I'm glad it's not, the Dan Snyder's of the league will always be also rans' in this league. Tomlin certainly deserves at least another season to get things moving in the right direction.

But I'll tell you this, I'm far from convinced that Tomlin is part of the solution.Two- three years from now we all very well may be wishing that the Steelers would have listened to the most reactionary faction of our fan base.

And nothing any of you kool aid drinkers say is going to convince me otherwise. The only one capable of convincing me that Tomlin is a guy who can fix this mess is Tomlin himself.

I'm a man with an open mind. Start convincing me coach. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Name me one coach in the league that has done a poorer job than Tomlin and staff has this season?:tap:

Ok, I accept this challenge...

Based upon Expectations going into the year and results:

Jim Zorn and the Washington Redskins. Pathetic Job
Jim Mora and the Seattle Seahawks, Pathetic.
Gary Kubiak and the Houston Texans. Horrible Job
Lovie Smith and the Chicago Bears. Pathetic Job.
Wade Phillips and the Dallas Cowboys. Losing his Job at the end of the year.
John Fox and the Carolina Panthers. Cowher will be coaching Carolina next year.

This is based upon expectations. We knew the Rams, Browns, Lions and Bucs were all in rebuilding years. We thought, at the begining of the year the above teams would be better and have positive seasons at least.

You could also throw the Bills, Jaguars, Titans and 49ers into the mix of teams that are not living up to their pre-season expectations.

But there you go. We are now amongst those teams.

pepsyman1
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't recall a 5 game losing streak to rival the one they're currently mired in happening in the past 40 years.

We lost to the then1-11 Browns, the 3-8 Raiders, the 2- 8 Chiefs. For a team this talented those should be automatic wins. Did we catch them at the wrong time? Don't think so. The Raiders had no trouble resuming their losing ways at home against the mediocre Skins this week. The Chiefs are 0-3 since doing us, including crushing defeats against the Broncos and Chargers, not to mention a home loss to the Bills.

There's no revisionist history required, this is the worst it's been in 40 years. It's inexcusable, and unexplainable that a team with this much talent can be this bad over that period of time.

Again I'm not advocating firing coach Sound bite er Tomlin. For one it's an exercise in futility, it's not the Steelers way of doing things. And I'm glad it's not, the Dan Snyder's of the league will always be also rans' in this league. Tomlin certainly deserves at least another season to get things moving in the right direction.

But I'll tell you this, I'm far from convinced that Tomlin is part of the solution.Two- three years from now we all very well may be wishing that the Steelers would have listened to the most reactionary faction of our fan base.

And nothing any of you kool aid drinkers say is going to convince me otherwise. The only one capable of convincing me that Tomlin is a guy who can fix this mess is Tomlin himself.

I'm a man with an open mind. Start convincing me coach. :coffee:

Um....does the year 2003 come to mind???? We lost 5 in a row early in the season on the way to a 6-10 record, missing the playoffs. We split all three AFC North series and basically couldn't be depended on to do anything consistent at any point.

zulater
12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Um....does the year 2003 come to mind???? We lost 5 in a row early in the season on the way to a 6-10 record, missing the playoffs. We split all three AFC North series and basically couldn't be depended on to do anything consistent at any point.

4 of the 5 teams we lost to during that losing streak in 03 ended up winning 10 games or more for the season. And Tommy Maddox was your quarterback

Next.... :coffee:

zulater
12-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Beat the Raiders in Oakland this past week. His qb is Jason Cambell. Randle El is one of his starting wideouts.

You really had expectations for the Seahawks? Based on what?

His kicker cost him two games. Give him those two games he's in the playoffs.

Has the most overrated qb in the league.

Great argument for Tomlin when you have to play the Wade Phillips card. :chuckle: But even so I disagree, the Cowboys are at least losing to good teams and taking them down to the wire.

Two words Jake Delhomme. How many games you think tomlin's winning with Jake?

This is based upon expectations. We knew the Rams, Browns, Lions and Bucs were all in rebuilding years. We thought, at the begining of the year the above teams would be better and have positive seasons at least.

You could also throw the Bills, Jaguars, Titans and 49ers into the mix of teams that are not living up to their pre-season expectations.

We go from SB champions to losing to the likes of the Bears, Chiefs,Raiders, and Browns. I still say Tomlin wears the crown.

The_WARDen
12-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Reading GARBAGE like this almost makes me wish that the Steelers would go 0-16 next year to really clear out the bandwagoners.

:blah::banging::blah:

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
We go from SB champions to losing to the likes of the Bears, Chiefs,Raiders, and Browns. I still say Tomlin wears the crown.

The Redskins had Higher Expecations hence the reason they signed the idiot from Tennessee to a billion dollar contract.

the Seahawks had higher expectations based upon the fact they brought in Whosyamma, Hassellbeck was coming back healthy and they had brought in talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Texans...Our kicker cost us games too...so there you go...

the Bears went for a new QB, and even if he is over rated, he is better than what they had and the Fans and Coaches had higher expectations.

my point is that Wade Phillips has a ton of talent on his team as well and is not living up to expectations.

I'm not saying we aren't doing bad, I'm just saying so are other teams who came into the season with Higher Expectations.

Sure we are the "defending champs" and should be a playoff team and shouldn't be losing to the dredges of the league, that's common knowledge. I am however pointing out, that other coaches, and teams, with higher expectations than just going 8-8 and missing the playoffs are also Failing to meet their goals.

FacemeIke
12-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Wow some people around here have lost it. I guess a loss to the 1-11 Browns will do that to you. But, come on some of these comments are way off base. The team has had a rough season, but there is no way anyone can rightfully call for Tomlin's head. He was hired because when you hear him speak the fire and passion he brings to the game reminds me of Cowher. Remember before the game Deion Sanders interviewed him and he said "after hearing Tomlin speak he had me so fired up I wanted to go back onto the field and play again." I remember some other announcer saying that about Cowher once years ago. If these players are not playing for Tomlin then thats shows a lack of heart from the players. I don't really think thats the case though. We've lost a lot of close games. The Cleveland game was the first time we've been down by more then 7 points in a game. We've shot ourselves in the foot in a lot of the losses, either through a special teams miscue or a redzone interception or fumble or a blown coverage. We've dominated games only to give away the win to the other teams (see especially the Bears game, the first cincy game and KC game). Its just gotten to the point where its a mental thing for this team and staff. No matter what the score is it just seems like something bad is going to happen. They've just forgotten how to win. The sky isnt falling on this team though, they are not years away from making noise again. A few bounces go our way this year and we would be sitting as division leaders right now. This organization will be fine whether that be a strong finish to this year or after an offseason we will have to see.

As for Arians he has to go. In fact, I think he has improved this year over his previous two, but there have been games where after watching the game I've felt we were just out coached on the offensive side of the ball. What really bothers me on offense is how so many times we will start out a game on the first drive or in the first quarter looking very strong, and then just look awful in the 2nd half. Arians, just can not adjust during a game. The other side's defense adjusts to him, but he fails to make his own adjustments. Its obvious that he can not get the most out of the talent that he has to work with. I'm not sure why he was hired in the first place, he's always been a pass happy coordinator and we have always been a run first organization, the hire made no sense.

T.Richardson
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
4 of the 5 teams we lost to during that losing streak in 03 ended up winning 10 games or more for the season. And Tommy Maddox was your quarterback

Next.... :coffee:

Why does everybody keep baggin on Maddox. He lead the team to the playoffs, and orchestrated a comeback win against the Browns, and if it wasnt for the Titans phantom call, he would have lead the team to the AFC championship game. He was not a bad QB at all.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I really liked the idea of Tomlin coming to us when it all started. I thought then and still do now that if we didn't get Whiz (and he left quickly) that we were fortunate to get Mike. That being said look at what Bill Cowher did for us. When he took over the team we were not that good but he made us a playoff contender in very short order. He took us to championship after championship but no trophy until the very end.

My hat is off to Cowher he was able to field a competitive team year after year even though we had a revolving door of talent. How many greats did we lose and still we were always in the mix. Now comes Tomlin...he picks up the pieces after Cowher ditches us and whips this team hard his 1st year, by the end of the year they are out of steam and get booted in the 1st round. The next year he wins the Superbowl and all is right in da' Burgh we are exstatic over what he has done in such a short time.

Now it is time to see how Mike Tomlin faces adversity. For Bill it was not winning a Championship for Mike it will be who needs to go and who do you replace them with. I am looking forward to him replacing B.A. it will be interesting to see wha kind of results we get. Either way it is time for Tomlin to get his own coaching staff and form this team into his team.

zulater
12-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Reading GARBAGE like this almost makes me wish that the Steelers would go 0-16 next year to really clear out the bandwagoners.

:blah::banging::blah:

If that's directed at me I've got news for ya pal. I've been a Steeler fan for 49 years and counting. I didn't jump ship at 1-13 in 69 ( yeah I'm that old) so I'm certainly not going anywhere now.

If watching the games with your Steelers underoos on and blinding yourself to the reality of whats going on makes you happy good for you. But it's not for me. This team is not playing up to the level of it's talent and it bothers me. In fact I'd say this team has underachieved to a level never approached before in Steelers annals. How much of that falls on the Head Coach is debatable. But he's certainly not above critisism.

And again I'm not calling for his job, in fact I really haven't seen much of that at all here or elsewhere. But in my opinion he's done a poor job this year and I'm going to comment on it whether you like it or not.

Winning a Super Bowl in his second year was impressive, but it doesn't buy you a lifetime free pass. Just ask Brian Billick who also won a Super Bowl his second year as a head coach. :coffee:

zulater
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Why does everybody keep baggin on Maddox. He lead the team to the playoffs, and orchestrated a comeback win against the Browns, and if it wasnt for the Titans phantom call, he would have lead the team to the AFC championship game. He was not a bad QB at all.

Tommy Maddox had a very impressive year in 2002. But he was awful in 03 and thereafter. ( remember when he went in in 05 and lost 2 starts :doh:.) He looked like a deer caught in headlights any time he saw anything resembling a rush.

BlastFurnace
12-14-2009, 09:01 PM

I always liked Tommy as well.

stillers4me
12-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Newsflash for all the re-writers of history on this board.........Whiz took the job in Arizona before any decision was made. It came down to Tomlin and Grimm....not Whiz.

zulater
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Newsflash for all the re-writers of history on this board.........Whiz took the job in Arizona before any decision was made. It came down to Tomlin and Grimm....not Whiz.

Whiz was a leading candidate for several jobs around the league and had other options You don't leave a good man hanging if you want him. They knew who he was and if they had strong interest in him they would have never let him walk out the door.

Now I'm not saying they were right or they were wrong in their thinking. That's a different discussion. But if your point is Whiz never gave them the chance to hire him, I call b.s. for the reasons mentioned above.

SteelCityMom
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Tommy Maddox had a very impressive year in 2002. But he was awful in 03 and thereafter. ( remember when he went in in 05 and lost 2 starts :doh:.) He looked like a deer caught in headlights any time he saw anything resembling a rush.

Yeah, and Cowher and the OC knew that after just a couple games in '03, but they said...go on out there and sling it around anyway Tommy Gun.

It's unfortunate that he nearly broke his neck against the Titans in the playoffs...but that made him pretty gun shy afterwards. He was never the same...and the coaches knew that and ignored it. Just like they ignored that Ben wasn't right in '06...they said, go get 'em anyway kid!

zulater
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah, and Cowher and the OC knew that after just a couple games in '03, but they said...go on out there and sling it around anyway Tommy Gun.

It's unfortunate that he nearly broke his neck against the Titans in the playoffs...but that made him pretty gun shy afterwards. He was never the same...and the coaches knew that and ignored it. Just like they ignored that Ben wasn't right in '06...they said, go get 'em anyway kid!

Maddox got a spinal concussion against the Titans in the 10th game of the 2002 season. He missed the next 2 games, and came back against the Texans in time for the 13th game and played poorly in that contest. But after that he played well for the final 3 regular season games and put on a respectable show in the playoffs.

He opened the 03 season with a great game against the Raiders, I think he was AFC player of the week. But after that the Steelers had a string of injuries along the o-line and Tommy Gun became Tommy turtle thereafter.

madtowndrunkard
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Yea and not to mention the great alternatives to Maddox they had sitting on the bench. :bs:

madtowndrunkard
12-14-2009, 09:44 PM

You are smoking crack. If you think any of those teams had any were the expectations the Steelers had then you my son don't have a clue. The talent level on those teams aren't even close to our steelers. No one expected any of those teams to post a better record then the steelers.

It's a fact this season goes down in history as one of the most disappointing choke jobs int he history of the game. If you told me 3 months ago that the Steelers would be in this position come mid December I'd think the only way that happens if Ben goes down for the year. Here we are and Ben is having one of his better seasons....it's in excusable.

pepsyman1
12-15-2009, 02:14 AM

Speaking of Tommy Maddox. I think the same thing happened to Tommy that happened for a few years with Kurt Warner. Both of those guys came out of the indoor league where they were forced to make very quick decisions...you simply couldn't hold the ball if you wanted to keep you head attached. They both had great success when they came back into the NFL, they made quicks scans of the field and threw the pass or threw it away. After they got comfortable, they both started holding onto the ball longer and longer and that's when they started having trouble. Tommy's career was done after that, Warner got another chance after being on the sidelines again. When Warner struggles to this day, it's usually because he's trying to make something happen when it isn't there. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

SteelCityMom
12-15-2009, 02:25 AM
Maddox got a spinal concussion against the Titans in the 10th game of the 2002 season. He missed the next 2 games, and came back against the Texans in time for the 13th game and played poorly in that contest. But after that he played well for the final 3 regular season games and put on a respectable show in the playoffs.

He opened the 03 season with a great game against the Raiders, I think he was AFC player of the week. But after that the Steelers had a string of injuries along the o-line and Tommy Gun became Tommy turtle thereafter.

Ahh, ok....I knew it was the Titans, I just thought it was in the playoffs (that was a busy couple of years for me, and I've had to go mostly off of news reports). He still wasn't right though in '03 and everyone knew it...except Cowher lol.

SteelCityMom
12-15-2009, 02:27 AM
Yea and not to mention the great alternatives to Maddox they had sitting on the bench. :bs:

It wasn't that they necessarily needed to replace him, they just needed to reel him back in a little. He had obviously lost any semblance of being a gunslinger like Cowher thought he should be that year lol. They just needed to simplify things for him cause he obviously couldn't handle the pressure.

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2009, 08:17 AM
You are smoking crack. If you think any of those teams had any were the expectations the Steelers had then you my son don't have a clue. The talent level on those teams aren't even close to our steelers. No one expected any of those teams to post a better record then the steelers.

It's a fact this season goes down in history as one of the most disappointing choke jobs int he history of the game. If you told me 3 months ago that the Steelers would be in this position come mid December I'd think the only way that happens if Ben goes down for the year. Here we are and Ben is having one of his better seasons....it's in excusable.

Really? The talent level isn't close huh?

So you're saying that the Texans don't have a dynamic running back, stud WR, great Dline and good linebackers?

you trying to tell me that Seattle wasn't supposed to compete for the AFC W this season after the changes they made in the offseason?

You going to try and tell me that the Dallas Cowboys are actually living up to their expectations? Or how about the Carolina Panthers, who last year won Home Field advantage in their conference?

You better get the clue. Our team is good, and we have a ton of talent, but so do other teams.

Or that Chicago wasn't trying to make a playoff push, 3 years removed from a Super Bowl by bringing in a new QB that was considered a Franchise type QB?

Or maybe the Redskins were happy to pay all that money to that Dlineman they brought in because they just love spending money on no talent assclowns.

Go back and read some Expectations from August and see who was supposed to be better then get back to me.

Peter King had the Seahawks winning the West, Bears winning the NFC North, Houston winning the AFC S, and Panthers at 9-7 and in the playoffs. In fact lots of people had Chicago actually playing in the Super bowl in the preseason, and had Seattle in the West.

So you go get a clue, I'll enjoy my "crack" and keep my discussion based in reality instead of revisionist history.

The_WARDen
12-15-2009, 08:35 AM

So you're saying that the Texans don't have a dynamic running back, stud WR, great Dline and good linebackers?

you trying to tell me that Seattle wasn't supposed to compete for the AFC W this season after the changes they made in the offseason?

You going to try and tell me that the Dallas Cowboys are actually living up to their expectations? Or how about the Carolina Panthers, who last year won Home Field advantage in their conference?

You better get the clue. Our team is good, and we have a ton of talent, but so do other teams.

Or that Chicago wasn't trying to make a playoff push, 3 years removed from a Super Bowl by bringing in a new QB that was considered a Franchise type QB?

Or maybe the Redskins were happy to pay all that money to that Dlineman they brought in because they just love spending money on no talent assclowns.

Go back and read some Expectations from August and see who was supposed to be better then get back to me.

Peter King had the Seahawks winning the West, Bears winning the NFC North, Houston winning the AFC S, and Panthers at 9-7 and in the playoffs. In fact lots of people had Chicago actually playing in the Super bowl in the preseason, and had Seattle in the West.

So you go get a clue, I'll enjoy my "crack" and keep my discussion based in reality instead of revisionist history.

One interesting little tidbit...all 4 teams that had a 1st round bye in 2008 are on the verge of missing the playoffs entirely this year.

Tennessee, Carolina and Pittsburgh are out...while NY Giants are fighting for their playoff lives.

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2009, 10:55 AM
One interesting little tidbit...all 4 teams that had a 1st round bye in 2008 are on the verge of missing the playoffs entirely this year.

Tennessee, Carolina and Pittsburgh are out...while NY Giants are fighting for their playoff lives.

Great point.

I'm not saying we are doing what was expected, far from it, but I only point out that we aren't the only ones Failing this year to meet the expectations we all had going into the year.

zulater
12-15-2009, 11:50 AM

What part of the Steelers losing to the Chiefs, the Raiders ( at home) and the Browns in a 4 week stretch aren't you getting dino?Yeah other teams have problems, yeah other teams have come up short of expectations, but that's still not losing to the freaking Browns, Raiders, and Chiefs when only 6 weeks earlaiar you looked like you belonged on the short list of Super Bowl contenders.

There's no distorting or revisionist history neccessary to make the picture the Steelers have painted the last 5 weeks look like an absolute train wreck! :shake01:

Dino 6 Rings
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
What part of the Steelers losing to the Chiefs, the Raiders ( at home) and the Browns in a 4 week stretch aren't you getting dino?Yeah other teams have problems, yeah other teams have come up short of expectations, but that's still not losing to the freaking Browns, Raiders, and Chiefs when only 6 weeks earlaiar you looked like you belonged on the short list of Super Bowl contenders.

There's no distorting or revisionist history neccessary to make the picture the Steelers have painted the last 5 weeks look like an absolute train wreck! :shake01:

Oh I get it, its disgusting that we lost to those teams, and also disgusting that we lost to the Bengals twice.

The quesiton was what other coaches and staff have done a worse job than the Steelers, I answered. And it wasn't just over the last 5 weeks, it was for the season. We were at 6-2. Then the total collapse of winning football. That's horrible. Its disgusting, it made me wanna puke at the Chiefs game watching that awful performance and having to leave the stadium listening to the pathetic KC Fans chanting their Florida State tomahawk chop chant.

The Raiders loss was putrid. the Loss the Browns was beyond embarrassing. I'm not defending our team or performance by any means.

I only pointed out other teams in the same boat as the Steelers are now. Teams that were supposed to get better, or be better than they were last season. Teams that made improvements in personnel (something I screamed at in the pre-season that we had to do, we had to ADD talent for depth among other reasons.)

I get it. I 100% get that we are sickening to watch right now. Down Right Brown Bag over the Head worthy as far as I'm concerned.

seven86
12-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Logan's radio show goes up against Mark Madden in the afternoon and Logan's show is getting pummeled in the ratings. Mike is stirring the pot for listeners. I call 100% BS.

BlastFurnace
12-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Logan's radio show goes up against Mark Madden in the afternoon and Logan's show is getting pummeled in the ratings. Mike is stirring the pot for listeners. I call 100% BS.

People thought Jerome was spreading false information about Cowher in at the beginning of 2006 too...

The only thing that Logan might be guilty of is telling inside information...the same way Jerome did....that he was told in confidence.

seven86
12-15-2009, 01:18 PM
People thought Jerome was spreading false information about Cowher in at the beginning of 2006 too...

The only thing that Logan might be guilty of is telling inside information...the same way Jerome did....that he was told in confidence.

Trust me, 100% BS, National Enquirer like.......

zulater
12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Just to keep the record straight. the title of this thread is "Mike Tomlin getting absolutely hammered in the Pittsburgh media." If this thread were titled "Fire Mike Tomlin now!" My attitutude towards it and my comments on it would be different.

Anyway I think it's entirely understandable and justifiable that Tomlin is getting "hammered" by the media and fans alike. Just like his team he's underperformed this season. I think Tomlin has done a poor job coaching this year for a number of reasons. For brevity's sake my main problems with him has been I think "Camp cupcake" set a bad tone that brought about a myriad of problems included but not limited to lax focus, too few willing to accept personal responsibitly for physical and mental errors, an overall tolerance of said errors by the coaching staff, particualry when big name vets were involved. Add in some poor game time decisions, i.e. starting an obviously limited Hines Ward, going for field goals outside his kickers comfort zone that led to momentum changing drives etc... and that's why I'm currently displeased with our coach.

Going foward my confidence that Coach Tomlin is capable of changing the negative tide of momentum that's overcome this team is waning by the week.

But I'm easily converted, just start showing me your best stuff again coach! :tt04:

BlastFurnace
12-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Trust me, 100% BS, National Enquirer like.......

Like I said...fans hammered Bettis for a very similar spill of information...and Jerome was 100% dead on correct.

Logan may have said stuff that was meant to remain private. Where there is smoke, there is fire and Logan is not the only one reporting that there are problems with the Steelers locker room right now. It has long been reported that Ben is not the most popular player in the locker room. If Batch had to approach him about the way he is perceived by his teammates, who is to say that some players just don't care for him.

It's wishful thinking to believe that the Steelers are "above" any kind of problems like this. People are people and sometimes issues arise...especially in a very disappointing season.

One thing is for sure, the play on the field tells us that something is wrong. This is not our Steelers on the field right now.

memphissteelergirl
12-15-2009, 01:28 PM
It's time to clean house...seriously. And a serious "revival meeting" needs to happen in that locker room.

It's been PAST time for Arians and Ligashesky (sp) to have been shown the door!

Tomlin....do what I have every confidence you can and get this team together!

FO....please convince MT that he needs to get rid of the "dead weight" on the coaching staff!

stlrtruck
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM

Well with good ole Danny Boy Snyder at the helm, this one might actually be true.

GodfatherofSoul
12-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Speaking of Tommy Maddox. I think the same thing happened to Tommy that happened for a few years with Kurt Warner. Both of those guys came out of the indoor league where they were forced to make very quick decisions...you simply couldn't hold the ball if you wanted to keep you head attached. They both had great success when they came back into the NFL, they made quicks scans of the field and threw the pass or threw it away. After they got comfortable, they both started holding onto the ball longer and longer and that's when they started having trouble. Tommy's career was done after that, Warner got another chance after being on the sidelines again. When Warner struggles to this day, it's usually because he's trying to make something happen when it isn't there. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

IMO it's more about getting "figured out." I appreciate Maddox for ending the Kordell era, but the guy was a marshmallow. He'd get bumped a couple times in the pocket and he'd start flinching like a crackhead, ESPECIALLY after that Titans game. He had the muscle tone of my 3 year old nephew on top of that. I think the guy had talent, I just think that he didn't have the physical assets to be a quality NFL QB...for long.

revefsreleets
12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
I remember sitting in Damon's watching the Jax game. I remember exactly where I sat. I remember what I was drinking. I remember everything.

When we went into OT and got the ball I cashed out. When Maddox dropped back and threw that ill-advised pass I was walking behind the barstools. When the DB picked the pass and ran it back for the Jax win, I was already at the door.

Maddox was a nice guy. He had a nice comeback. He played well for a short while. But he was never the true answer, and never a real NFL QB.

zulater
12-17-2009, 03:26 PM
IMO it's more about getting "figured out." I appreciate Maddox for ending the Kordell era, but the guy was a marshmallow. He'd get bumped a couple times in the pocket and he'd start flinching like a crackhead, ESPECIALLY after that Titans game. He had the muscle tone of my 3 year old nephew on top of that. I think the guy had talent, I just think that he didn't have the physical assets to be a quality NFL QB...for long.

Me too.