PDA

View Full Version : Who might we see new next year?

Preacher
12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
IMO, I think there are some sweeping changes coming.

Furthermore, I think the only two coaches that are absolutely going to be her next year are Tomlin and LeBeau (If his defense fails next year like it did this year, he may not be here the year after, but that is a discussion to have after the next season).

So, what coach and it what position?

xfl2001fan
12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Cowher's coming back as the OC...he's gonna help FWP gain 50lbs of muscle in the offseason...and then you can get back to Steelersfootball!

Preacher
12-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Cowher's coming back as the OC...he's gonna help FWP gain 50lbs of muscle in the offseason...and then you can get back to Steelersfootball!

:buttkick:

:chuckle:

You know, Jim Zorn wasn't good as a head coach, but I wonder about him as an O coord.

steelreserve
12-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Gone: Arians, Ligashesky/Zeirlein (one or the other, but probably not both)

New coaches: I have no idea

Gone: Parker, Hampton, C. Davis, Carter, Reed, Batch, Stapleton, Hills, S. Logan, Spaeth

New/returning players: McHugh, Frank Summers, Piotr Czech (K), some random backup DB, some random LB from round 2-4 of the draft, Terrance Cody :hope:

Surprise returning player: Townsend

(yes, Townsend. He's the only DB besides Troy, Clark and Taylor that we know for sure isn't retarded.)

Preacher
12-11-2009, 04:26 PM

Gone: Parker, Hampton, C. Davis, Carter, Reed, Batch, Stapleton, Hills, S. Logan, Spaeth

New/returning players: McHugh, Frank Summers, Piotr Czech (K), some random backup DB, some random LB from round 2-4 of the draft, Terrance Cody :hope:

(yes, Townsend. He's the only DB besides Troy, Clark and Taylor that we know for sure isn't retarded.)

I think Carter stays, as does Reed and Townsend.

But I am more interested in coaches in this thread.

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Gone:

Arians
Ligashesky
Zerlein
Horton

I think you will see the team go for an influx of young talent and get rid of some of the older players on the team.

xfl2001fan
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM

You know, Jim Zorn wasn't good as a head coach, but I wonder about him as an O coord.

My bad...Mangini replaces Dick LeBeau as the D-coordinator. :rofl:

SteelGhost
12-11-2009, 04:28 PM

With all respect, IMHO Steelers Offense needs someone with a stronger character, I consider Zorn too soft :noidea:

BlastFurnace
12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I think Carter stays, as does Reed and Townsend.

But I am more interested in coaches in this thread.

Perhaps from the Front Office's position, I don't know about Reed any longer. If the Steelers really do have a locker room to straighten out, Reed and all his troubles with the law may not make it back if the FO don't want him around.

That being said...I hope we do keep Reed.

casteeler
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Bill Cower HELP!!!!! Mike Tomlin is a coordinator at best not a headcoach. If noone else sees this especially after he has failed miserably at salvaging the season.When things got ugly in the 'burgh he not only didn't have the answer he had no clue how to handle the pressure. GET LOST TOMLIN!!!

SteelGhost
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM

I agree for the most part, but IMHO we need to replace Deshea, he's lost a step....as well as Potsie, I love both guys but father time has knock on their doors.

solardave
12-11-2009, 04:41 PM

Willie Parker + 50lbs = Jerome Bettis.:chuckle: Oh wait. You said muscle. MY bad.

solardave
12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Perhaps from the Front Office's position, I don't know about Reed any longer. If the Steelers really do have a locker room to straighten out, Reed and all his troubles with the law may not make it back if the FO don't want him around.

That being said...I hope we do keep Reed.

I'm pretty sure Reed is the only one who doesn't realize that he has a drinking problem.
Only now it is affecting his game. Probably to much partying. We need a strong accurate kicker that is a team first guy. That's what he used to be.

SteelCityMom
12-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Bill Cower HELP!!!!! Mike Tomlin is a coordinator at best not a headcoach. If noone else sees this especially after he has failed miserably at salvaging the season.When things got ugly in the 'burgh he not only didn't have the answer he had no clue how to handle the pressure. GET LOST TOMLIN!!!

Ahahahaha! It's so ironic that you're calling for Tomlin's head and praying for Cowher to come back. If you don't understand the irony in it...then there is no hope for you.

stb_steeler
12-11-2009, 05:14 PM

So you say fire Tomlin? and what if the Steelers did and hired a coach that leads the team into a major landslide for the next 5-10 years? then what?....

SteelCityMom
12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
IMO, I think there are some sweeping changes coming.

Furthermore, I think the only two coaches that are absolutely going to be her next year are Tomlin and LeBeau (If his defense fails next year like it did this year, he may not be here the year after, but that is a discussion to have after the next season).

So, what coach and it what position?

There definitely are changes coming...and I agree that Tomlin and Lebeau might be the only main guys coming back.

It was brought up in the poll for the new OC, and I think that there's a strong chance for Anderson, Gailey or maybe even Gruden to come back (if he wants to come back as OC and not HC somewhere). I think you bring up a good point with Zorn too, he might not be a horrible choice (and he certainly couldn't do much worse). Yeah, he stinks as a HC, but so did Lebeau.

As for ST's coach...I'm not real familiar with who would be available, but I'd have to say darn near anyone would be an upgrade. DBs coach needs changed as well...but again, I'm not real familiar with who would be a good fit and who would be available.

SteelCityMom
12-11-2009, 05:16 PM
So you say fire Tomlin? and what if the Steelers did and hired a coach that leads the team into a major landslide for the next 5-10 years? then what?....

Wash, rinse, repeat...and voila! We're the Browns!

I can only assume that's what he wants here...

casteeler
12-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Wash, rinse, repeat...and voila! We're the Browns!

I can only assume that's what he wants here...

the team needs leadership not some assistant of an assistant running the show . we have the talent but noone to show the talent where to lineup.

Burghfan58
12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
My bad...Mangini replaces Dick LeBeau as the D-coordinator. :rofl:

Glad that can't happen. We helped Mangini solidify his job with that win. That may be the best thing that comes out of this game.

casteeler
12-11-2009, 05:35 PM

so you say cower comes back and the team crumbles? Tomlin can't coach a very good team though the chiefs raiders or browns and you say stick with him? Cower is a great coach who set tomlin up with sucsess then things go south and tomlin can't cope when players get sidelined w/ injuries . You want 5-10 keep tomlin who can't put out a fire with a fire extinguisher and directions on how to use it!

SteelCityMom
12-11-2009, 05:36 PM
the team needs leadership not some assistant of an assistant running the show . we have the talent but noone to show the talent where to lineup.

You do realize that they won the SB last year right? And you do realize that Cowher had some bad seasons, and sometimes bad season upon bad season and that he didn't get fired over it, right? RIGHT?

These are nothing but complete and utter knee-jerk reactions from you.

SteelCityMom
12-11-2009, 05:37 PM
so you say cower comes back and the team crumbles? Tomlin can't coach a very good team though the chiefs raiders or browns and you say stick with him? Cower is a great coach who set tomlin up with sucsess then things go south and tomlin can't cope when players get sidelined w/ injuries . You want 5-10 keep tomlin who can't put out a fire with a fire extinguisher and directions on how to use it!

You have to be a teenager or didn't follow the Steelers in the late 90's...that's the only explanation here. Do a quick search of Cowhers coaching history and you might know what we're talking about.

43Hitman
12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
You have to be a teenager or didn't follow the Steelers in the late 90's...that's the only explanation here. Do a quick search of Cowhers coaching history and you might know what we're talking about.

Not to mention that Cowher had the exact same kind of season after his SB victory.

pepsyman1
12-11-2009, 05:53 PM

EXACTLY right. I love Cowher too, but some people forget how frustrated we were with HIM sometimes because he played so conservatively at times and how many AFC CG's we lost when we had home field advantage. We still have the core of a great football team that just needs some new leadership in the right spots. I think Tomlin is still the right guy, but I want to see him broom most of the coaching staff other than Dick Lebeau...and since Tomlin was a secondary coach, I'd like to see him assert himself a little bit there and see what kind of evil scientist adjustments he and Lebeau can put together for the D for next year. As for the offense, I say get Chucky and let him bring in a new O line coach.

casteeler
12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
that's fine everyone can love tomlin! I have been a die- hard steeler fanatic since the early 90s' and saw cower go through very rough seasons and better seasons than this with less talent i'm just saying that he has not shown alot of leadership or managing skills through these last few weeks i really hate to see a team i love so much be this bad when i know they can be a heck of alot better.

steel9guy
12-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I honestly don't think any coach is going to leave. The Rooney's are very patient people and look at their teams success over the past years. Chill, it's a bad season and as much as I don't like Bruce he's here for at least another year along with the other coaches. Tomlin is a good coach but having a bad year.

43Hitman
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
EXACTLY right. I love Cowher too, but some people forget how frustrated we were with HIM sometimes because he played so conservatively at times and how many AFC CG's we lost when we had home field advantage. We still have the core of a great football team that just needs some new leadership in the right spots. I think Tomlin is still the right guy, but I want to see him broom most of the coaching staff other than Dick Lebeau...and since Tomlin was a secondary coach, I'd like to see him assert himself a little bit there and see what kind of evil scientist adjustments he and Lebeau can put together for the D for next year. As for the offense, I say get Chucky and let him bring in a new O line coach.

I like the Chucky idea also, his offense is pretty difficult though, and there would be an adjustment period. Which would require some patience from us.

devilsdancefloor
12-11-2009, 06:26 PM
James Daniel Tight Ends Coach
Randy Fichtner Wide Receivers Coach
Ray Horton Defensive Backs Coach
Amos Jones Asst. Special Teams Coach
Bob Ligashesky Special Teams Coach
Larry Zierlein Offensive Line Coach
Harold Goodwin Quality Control - Offense
Lou Spanos Quality Control - Defense
Garrett Giemont Conditioning Coordinator

all the above are gone. No one really talks about the conditioning of the players, but i really think that has A LOT to do with us not playing that physical & our injuries. I really for the life of me understand why we have 2 ST guys.

stillers4me
12-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Its time for Lebeau schemes to retire.. The league is copying his stuff already.

:doh:

The league has been copy Dick Lebeau's schemes for years.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I like the Chucky idea also, his offense is pretty difficult though, and there would be an adjustment period. Which would require some patience from us.

Patience.. from Steelernation? Good luck.

steeltheone
12-11-2009, 07:25 PM
C'mon guys this Gruden talk is silly. He is a head Coach not an OC.

AllD
12-11-2009, 07:27 PM
C'mon guys this Gruden talk is silly. He is a head Coach not an OC.

Exactly, he can hold out for a HC job anywhere he wants and can wait behind a microphone.

Vincent
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
I'd like to see them bring in Harrison's sister Shovonne on special teams.

http://i44.tinypic.com/35n51xi.jpg

She gave a good account of herself in Akron last night and she could spell Snack at NT.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_657390.html#