PDA

View Full Version : Post-Cleveland thoughts

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Post-Cleveland thoughts

Losing to Kansas City was bad. Losing to Oakland was worse. But losing to that Cleveland Browns team was definitely the lowest of the low points for the 2009 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cleveland entered that game dead last in the NFL in offense and defense. And the Browns were missing a number of starters, including Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers.

Not only could the Steelers not stop Cleveland's running game, they couldn't run the ball.

This was a total team effort against a team that should have been making the first selection in the NFL draft in a few months.

I'm sure usual whipping boy Bruce Arians is taking all the blame for that loss, but Ben Roethlisberger played like a rookie.

You can argue whether it was prudent for the Steelers to go to the shotgun with empty backfields on their first three third-and-shorts, but that's pretty much what everyone does in today's NFL.

But there's no way the quarterback should be taking sacks in those situations - three times in a row. And those sacks were his fault. He's got to see that Cleveland is bringing seven pass rushers and get the ball to his hot read - especially when you only need a yard or two.

Those defensive calls for Cleveland came right out of the Philadelphia playbook from 2008. And Roethlisberger froze on them.

Not all of the eight sacks were on Roethlisberger in this game, but the majority were.

To quote the big guy, "Who's laughing now o-line?"

I've heard from a number of players over the past few weeks that this team hasn't paid attention to the details or hasn't been on the same page.

To me, that's inexcusable. If you're a professional football player, you'd better play every game like it's the last one you'll ever see.

Not paying attention to the details is another way of saying that they took somebody lightly. That explains how the Steelers have beaten San Diego, Minnesota and Denver but lost to Kansas City, Oakland and Cleveland.

It explains it but it doesn't justify it.

Heads are going to roll after this season and a lot of that is going to depend on what happens in these last three games.

It will be interesting to see if the free agents to be mail it in the rest of the way or whether they go down fighting.

Santonio Holmes told me he got up following Mike Tomlin's post-game speech and told the team he'll be fighting the rest of the way. That's a good sign from a young player.

We'll see if anyone joins him.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 11:54 AM 21 comments Links to this post

Glace
12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Santonio Holmes told me he got up following Mike Tomlin's post-game speech and told the team he'll be fighting the rest of the way. That's a good sign from a young player.

We'll see if anyone joins him.

I haven't had the most kind words for Santonio lately with his constant flexing, etc.

But if this is true...my hat goes off to the kid.

We need more of it!

43Hitman
12-11-2009, 05:32 PM
You can argue whether it was prudent for the Steelers to go to the shotgun with empty backfields on their first three third-and-shorts, but that's pretty much what everyone does in today's NFL.

That is complete:bs: Does this guy even watch football. No way in hell do you go to that formation when you've just gained 9 yards on two carries. If you ARE going to throw, you should be in a running set, so you don't tip you hand to the defense. We basically said "hey Browns, were gonna throw here and we don't care if you know about it, in fact, now would be a great time to blitz us since we don't even have a protector in the back field. Okay, Merry X-Mas". :doh:

AllD
12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
That is complete:bs: Does this guy even watch football. No way in hell do you go to that formation when you've just gained 9 yards on two carries. If you ARE going to throw, you should be in a running set, so you don't tip you hand to the defense. We basically said "hey Browns, were gonna throw here and we don't care if you know about it, in fact, now would be a great time to blitz us since we don't even have a protector in the back field. Okay, Merry X-Mas". :doh:

So are you saying that BA doesn't call the right schemes or send in the right personnel to fit the situation? You saying without the most dominant defense in a decade exposed a hollow offense with some great skill players, but little talent in protection? You saying lack of leadership pretty much magnifeid all the shortcomings?