PDA

View Full Version : How did Joe Burnett look to y'all?

Merchant
12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
From what I saw of him he looked good. He was with the receiver every step of the way each play I saw him. And even though he dropped that pick in the oakland game atleast he was in perfect position to make it.

On the other hand Ike looked terrible once again. Do not know what has happened to him.

Seems like a lot of people are looking forward to the draft and thinking our top priority should be drafting a CB like Eric Berry with our 1st round pick. Well we drafted Burnett and Lewis, so I think first we should see what we have in them, and perhaps these final 3 games will be a good opportunity.

stillers4me
12-11-2009, 08:07 PM
It's hard to say. My forehead was against the table most of the night.

NEPAsteeler
12-11-2009, 08:31 PM
From what I have seem from him, he seems to doing pretty decently. I guess only time will tell how good he truly is.

devilsdancefloor
12-11-2009, 08:38 PM
i thnk he played well last night i would have loved to also seen lewis play as well

StainlessStill
12-11-2009, 09:58 PM
From the very few plays he was in, he actually showed awesome mechanics and did what NONE of out starters have done... PLAYED THE BALL! He also was in great position every time the ball was thrown his way. Hard to judge, but from the little we've seen, he did fairly well and seemed confident in his body language.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 10:11 PM

:sofunny:

That is a funny retort.

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2009, 10:18 PM
From what I saw of him he looked good. He was with the receiver every step of the way each play I saw him. And even though he dropped that pick in the oakland game atleast he was in perfect position to make it.

On the other hand Ike looked terrible once again. Do not know what has happened to him.

Seems like a lot of people are looking forward to the draft and thinking our top priority should be drafting a CB like Eric Berry with our 1st round pick. Well we drafted Burnett and Lewis, so I think first we should see what we have in them, and perhaps these final 3 games will be a good opportunity.
eric berry is a safety.... i for one think a free safety should be on the short list for 1st rd consideration. ryan clark makes nice highlight hits, but his coverage is average at best, and he's getting old.

jjpro11
12-11-2009, 10:41 PM
i want to see him play Green Bay in better passing conditions before i start making any kind of judgment.

Galax Steeler
12-12-2009, 06:51 AM
eric berry is a safety.... i for one think a free safety should be on the short list for 1st rd consideration. ryan clark makes nice highlight hits, but his coverage is average at best, and he's getting old.

That is what I am thinking as well I would love to see us get a safety to play with Troy.

7/39/43
12-12-2009, 07:18 AM
he played better than Taylor just my opinion

stillers4me
12-12-2009, 07:30 AM
It's been so long since we've seen Clark and Troy on the field together, that you are forgetting what happens. They have developed a silent communication and Ryan is a huge reason why Troy can do what he does. WE do need someone good backup in this area, but if we let Ryan go, you may not like the consequences. Troy's production will slip if Ryan is not resigned.

solardave
12-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Now that our PO hopes are dashed maybe Burnett,Lewis and Ziggy might get some time in real games for evaluation. That's what I hope.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-12-2009, 08:07 AM

Agreed.

Main concern for me will be in drafting one of the two blue chip NT's in the first round, otherwise we will have to write a HUGE check to Hampton...and I dont see hat happening. If both NT'swere gone, Safety and OT are still concerns and have to be a high priority.

I think CB is a concern but I also take into consideration that our CB's look like they are getting burnt when they drop off the route and the safety who was supposed to have the WR deep, fails to pick up the backfield coverage. Not to say that they haven't made mistakes...they have, but not everthing that is being laid on their shoulders is entirely their fault.

Someone stated that Deshea and Carter need to go...and I couldnt agree more. I thought Desheas last three years are a shadow of what he once was able to do. I think both he is expendable and perhaps Lewis can upgrade the nickel package with a little more experience. Carter and Mundy are both wave players. They might "shine" momentarily but we cant rely on either of them to be a starter on a regular basis. Mundy is still young and gets the benifit of the doubt, Carter needs to go and make room for a player that can step in when Troy or Ryan go down.

supa_fly_steeler
12-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Judging Burnett is an unfair assessment just on the Browns game, we need to see him against A-Rod... Im begginin to want McClain in the draft rather then a saftey, Eric Berry does not tackle too well, his coverage is awesome... i need to see farriors production in the last few games to assess my assessment.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Judging Burnett is an unfair assessment just on the Browns game, we need to see him against A-Rod... Im begginin to want McClain in the draft rather then a saftey, Eric Berry does not tackle too well, his coverage is awesome... i need to see farriors production in the last few games to assess my assessment.

I like McClain...but I would be happy with Micah Johnson. He is an animal!!!

Some people are scared off of him becase he is 256 lbs....but take a look at this dude.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/draftdogimages/2010%20prospects/Micah-Johnson.jpg

Bluedust
12-12-2009, 11:23 AM

:rofl:

Well played sir.

Merchant
12-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Kyle Wilson from Boise is dope too

markymarc
12-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I thought Joe Burnett did good against the Browns. I'd like to see what he can do against a top tier WR.

Steeldude
12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
how many plays was he in? 4? 5? not much to go on at all.

do you people really think he is the answer? or is this more wishful thinking?

Positives: Confident and a leader on the field. ... Stronger than you'd expect for his size. ... Good vertical, able to make a play on jump balls. ... Solid hands for the interception and is elusive enough to make yardage after the catch. ... Good recovery and closing speed -- is never out of a play. ... Nice hand-eye coordination to break up passes. ... Quality kickoff and punt returner because he has solid hands, good vision and patience, hits the open lane hard, makes the first man miss and runs through arm tackles.

Negatives: A bit small and light to handle larger NFL receivers, although he has a good lower-body build. ... Lacks elite top-end speed. ... Not particularly strong on the line and struggles to get off blocks. ... Brings pressure as a blitzer but does not finish off the quarterback. ... Usually plays off the receiver in order to get cushion on deep routes. ... More of a cut tackler, does not wrap up often enough. ... Probably best in a zone system with help over the top. ... Is not a typical pro punt returner with great speed and quickness.

wasn't everyone very upset with the steelers' CBs giving 8 to 12 yard cushions?

all remains to be seen.

feuerstarta
12-13-2009, 10:16 PM
He was actually in on 5 series, 3 times for Gay, and 2 times for Ike. On 3 series it was a 3 and out and the other were 5 plays. Basically Burnett and the other CB's were rotated, 1 2 and 3 so every 3rd series burnett was not in. Quinn tried to pick on him and Burnett was in play for the ball. Yes he played 10 yards off the line like IKE and GAY did, but the key difference he did not let the guy get past him.

Now when Burnett was in for gay, there were a few things I saw better.
1.) burnett was more fluid, did not turn around as fast as Gay, meaning he stayed in his back peddle longer allowing him to break on the ball.
2.) kept the WR in view so when it looked like the WR was making a play, he made a play on the ball.
3.) Unlike Gay when the RB ran into the pile or away Burnett ran in for run support. Gay stood and let himself be blocked. Burnett shed the block and did not stop until the whistle. GAY quit.
4.) Burnett PLAYED THE BALL.

The one play that was a long ball out of bounds against burnett, Burnett was in perfect coverage and only allowed the ball be placed in a specific spot, a payton manning type pass only. And He looked back for the ball better than the WR.

I know it does not mean much but on all series burnett was in no first downs were scored through the air and no points were scored either. The part I liked is when thrown towards burnett, ball was incomplete. But still an improvement.

CanadianSteel
12-14-2009, 12:30 PM
He tried something I have not seen for a while - he actually looked back for the ball when covering a deep route.. too early to tell at this point but let em play....