PDA

View Full Version : NFL analyst 'dead wrong' on Steelers

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 11:02 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/12/11/nfl-analyst-dead-wrong-on-steelers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

NFL analyst 'dead wrong' on Steelers
December 11th, 2009

To Steelers fans who are distraught following another mind-boggling loss, you are not the only ones taking the nosedive of an alleged Super Bowl contender personally.

“I’m frustrated because I take great pride in how I study and what I look for and trying to be ahead of the curve and I was dead wrong on them,” former NFL quarterback and ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer said today. “At 6-2, I thought they were going to be one of those 12-4 football teams and they lose a couple, no big deal. Even last week at 6-6, OK they’re going to be 10-6, they’re going to go into the playoffs hot and they’re going to be one of the teams we’re talking about later in January but obviously I was wrong.”

Welcome to the club, Trent.

It is unfathomable how far this team has fallen since a 28-10 win at Denver on Nov. 9.

I’d point out that when all seemed lost in 2006 following a 2-6 start, almost everything broke the Steelers’ way at the end of the season as far as other teams losing — and that the same thing could happen over the next month.

But the Steelers need to win out to have any hope of sneaking into the playoffs — and right now they probably couldn’t beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

“We can’t even worry about playoffs until we win a game,” veteran cornerback Deshea Townsend said.

For that to happen before the 2010 season, the Steelers need to show some of the fire that Casey Hampton displayed following their 13-6 loss in Cleveland Thursday night.

“I’m tired of this (expletive),” the veteran nose tackle said. “We’re too good to be losing these types of games, to these types of teams. You can say there’s parity and (expletive), that you can lose to anybody, man that’s ridiculous. It’s embarrassing.”

We should see in the coming weeks whether Hampton's teammates feel the same way.

Steelerfreak58
12-11-2009, 11:06 PM
RIGHT ON BIG SNACK! THAT IS THE WAY IT IS!:tt03:

GBMelBlount
12-11-2009, 11:14 PM
It's a shame players waited until we were out of the playoffs to get pissed off and fired up.....

When we lost yesterday I just shrugged. The loss did not surprise me.

If they weren't fired up and pissed off, why should I be?

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
It's a shame players waited until we were out of the playoffs to get pissed off and fired up.....

When we lost yesterday I just shrugged. The loss did not surprise me.

If they weren't fired up and pissed off, why should I be?
you are absolutely right.. where was this after the bengal loss or even the KC loss?

Steelerfreak58
12-11-2009, 11:20 PM
you are absolutely right.. where was this after the bengal loss or even the KC loss?

Definitely should have been said and showed up after the second loss to the Bungles. NO WAY should we have lost to them at home. The rest well I am getting sick of talking about...:mad:

johnnyribcage
12-11-2009, 11:26 PM

Exactly. I was madder than hell for awhile, but then I realized no one on the team really gave a damn, so I kind of sat back by the time Thursday rolled around. I figured the Steelers would win, I thought there was some pride, some passion left, but I tempered that thought with the idea that I hadn't seen anything to make me think they would win. After five or ten minutes, I knew we were finished.

As far as Dilfer and the rest of us are concerned, logic is out the window when a team fractures, gives up, and no longer believes in their coaches or themselves. As much as it pains me to say this (or maybe not, I can only be upset for so long before I find something else to fill the gap that usually takes up my December emotions), the Steelers are a team of losers, top to bottom, not champions. There are maybe three or four guys on that roster acting like champions. Ward knew what was at stake. He went out gimpy and tried.

Superbowl hangover times a thousand, and the team currently belongs to Ben and BA, not Tomlin. BA needs to go super-pronto, and Z needs to follow his incompetent ass right out the door and I hope it hits both of them on the way out.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Superbowl hangover times a thousand, and the team currently belongs to Ben and BA, not Tomlin. BA needs to go super-pronto, and Z needs to follow his incompetent ass right out the door and I hope it hits both of them on the way out.

i dont care what they say, i think this stupid lawsuit is weighing more on ben than he is letting on and its showing in his performancce on the field.

mesaSteeler
12-11-2009, 11:47 PM
i dont care what they say, i think this stupid lawsuit is weighing more on ben than he is letting on and its showing in his performancce on the field.

Maybe that Reno skank stole Ben's mojo.

TackleMeBen
12-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Maybe that Reno skank stole Ben's mojo.
absolutely believe that she screwed up this season.:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
12-11-2009, 11:58 PM
:blah: same shit...different week...different player....

johnnyribcage
12-12-2009, 12:03 AM

Good point, and I haven't been thinking about the gold-digger because she's been out of the news lately, but man, Reno ain't got a damn thing to do with shotgun empty set on 3rd-and-why-are-you-in-a-shotgun and Willie Gay leaving his man to buy a hotdog and a beer at the concession stand before stumbling back into the play to miss a tackle while everyone else on the team appears to hate each other.

TackleMeBen
12-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Willie Gay leaving his man to buy a hotdog and a beer at the concession stand
he was getting it for mark sanchez..lol

Steel-Bryan
12-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Man, the rest of the season is all about #s for me , rushing passing receiving yards. And SACKS ! :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

steelreserve
12-12-2009, 04:50 AM
But the Steelers need to win out to have any hope of sneaking into the playoffs — and right now they probably couldn’t beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Screw that -- we'd have a hard tiem beating the London Silly Nannies.

That's basically who we lost to on Thursday.

steel striker
12-12-2009, 06:42 AM
It's sad we lost to three of the worst teams in the league and, there is no excuse for that. Losses were a combination of things and, we all know what they are. We failed in every aspect of the basics of football. Poor tackling, bad pass coverage, poor blocking, worst special teams in steelers history and bad play calling. Not to mention a few key injuries but, this is th nfl injuries are part of life. We need to finish strong and, with pride I just hope we can win again. I love this team and, I will always be a steeler fan for life.

plenewken
12-12-2009, 07:58 AM

That plus the fact that he looks completely out of shape. He doesn't move as fast as he used to. How much weight has he put on since last year? Seriously.

stillers4me
12-12-2009, 08:04 AM
That plus the fact that he looks completely out of shape. He doesn't move as fast as he used to. How much weight has he put on since last year? Seriously.

Statistically, Ben is having a great year. (or was until Thursday night). Our problems have nothing to do with Ben's waistline.

T&B fan
12-12-2009, 08:09 AM

nether would you if you had been hit as many times as him .....bye 300lb linemen

Kittyfish
12-12-2009, 08:16 AM
My son made a comment out of the blue last night that Ben looked fat. Physical fitness would seem to be a requirement for an athlete - I'm wondering if perhaps his weight gain might be symptomatic of mental fatigue, stress, or other outside problems that may be affecting his play. Of course, the Steelers problems can't all be laid at Ben's feet (I personally thought he was one of the few who was playing pretty well, at least until Thursday) but his weight gain could possibly be a physical evidence of the troubles the team is experiencing as a whole. :noidea: Something ain't right, that's for sho'.

Or I could be talking out of my arse. Wouldn't be the first time. :whistle:

stillers4me
12-12-2009, 08:22 AM
You all do realize that it felt like about 18 degrees below zero on Thursday night and Ben looked fat because he had a bunch of layers on plus that protective gear he always wears around his middle?

:hunch:

plenewken
12-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Statistically, Ben is having a great year. (or was until Thursday night). Our problems have nothing to do with Ben's waistline.

I've seen a lot of sacks this year and last year that he could have avoided if he was as alert and mobile as he was before He's much bigger than he used to be and he's now one of the biggest QBs in the NFL.
I like Ben a lot but I'm not blind either.

stlrtruck
12-12-2009, 09:01 AM
IT'S ALL LIP SERVICE AND UNTIL THEY MAKE IT ON THE FIELD SERVICE - THEY'RE ALL FULL OF BS

TackleMeBen
12-12-2009, 09:02 AM
you know its pretty bad when his sister is in better shape than he is..lol....

Stlrs4Life
12-12-2009, 09:07 AM
IT'S ALL LIP SERVICE AND UNTIL THEY MAKE IT ON THE FIELD SERVICE - THEY'RE ALL FULL OF BS

Exactly, do it on the field!

xfl2001fan
12-12-2009, 10:09 AM
My son made a comment out of the blue last night that Ben looked fat. Physical fitness would seem to be a requirement for an athlete - I'm wondering if perhaps his weight gain might be symptomatic of mental fatigue, stress, or other outside problems that may be affecting his play. Of course, the Steelers problems can't all be laid at Ben's feet (I personally thought he was one of the few who was playing pretty well, at least until Thursday) but his weight gain could possibly be a physical evidence of the troubles the team is experiencing as a whole. :noidea: Something ain't right, that's for sho'.

Or I could be talking out of my arse. Wouldn't be the first time. :whistle:

Cold weather wasn't helping him any...and it was extremely cold on that night. That being said...there is no singular problem to explain why your team is playing so poorly...just like when it plays well, it's not one singular item you can point to. It's a lot of little things that add up (or don't add up) that make all the difference between going 6-2...and going 2-6.

markymarc
12-12-2009, 12:35 PM

You are absolutely correct. I am sick of this lip service. I want to see desire, intensity, focus and heart out on the football field and not after we lose to another bad NFL team. This shit is old and it's on the players and coaches to get it figured out instead of talking about it.

WH
12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
To quote former Penguins coach Therrien ''Our D is soff''

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Big Ben getting fat? I see some folks just started following the Steelers, huh?

Does 2005 ring a bell? Back when we were 7-5 and all the news outlets were joking about how our "losses were growing like the number of chins Ben had"? Ben was his fattest in 2005, and it didn't seem to affect him much....

Come on, folks, we're pulling at some pretty desperate strings here. Do you think the 5th concussion he suffered a couple weeks ago might have something to do with it?

WH
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Does 2005 ring a bell? Back when we were 7-5 and all the news outlets were joking about how our "losses were growing like the number of chins Ben had"? Ben was his fattest in 2005, and it didn't seem to affect him much....

Wasn't his face swollen from some sort of medication?

plenewken
12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
You all do realize that it felt like about 18 degrees below zero on Thursday night and Ben looked fat because he had a bunch of layers on plus that protective gear he always wears around his middle?

:hunch:

I'm also talking about his face, where his weight gain is the most apparent, and he had no layers over his cheeks.