PDA

View Full Version : Who will be let go at end of season?

steelers2685
12-12-2009, 03:37 AM
I know there are many, but here are a few I question off of the top of my head:

Willie - I truly like him and feel that he is a good back who can flourish in a system like Whiz set up for him compared to Arians pound up the middle setup that Wilie is not built for. With no contract extension, being demoted to second string, and Mendenhall shining this season, I don't see him returning.

Jeff Reed - Trouble off the field, and although reliable in the past, missed a few key kicks this year that should have been made. No contract, I see him going too.

Casey Hampton - Great lineman.... of the past few years. This year, in a contract year, hasnt' done much. Ziggy Hood will emerge next year and line shuffled to make up for Ham's departure.

Sweed - I wanted to see him succeed, especially after watching him in college. Unfortunately, I do not see him being with us this year and being given an umpteenth chance to make a statement ont he field. Since they aren't putting him into game situations to get experience, I do see him being dropped and picked up by someone else. I feel that in the future we'll be viewing him as a Antonio Bryant style of player who didn't make an impact immediately but took some time to become a name. Mike Wallace has taken any shot away that Sweed had of becoming an in game WR for the Steelers. He had his shot, and dropped it.

Other names along with thoughts>?

ricardisimo
12-12-2009, 03:54 AM
Most of the coaching staff, with the exception of Tomlin, Lebeau, Fichtner and a few others, from what I can see.

Gone: Parker, Reed, Batch, Carter, Logan, Townsend, maybe Spaeth, and of course a good number of the 2nd and 3rd stringers and ST-ers.

I don't see Sweed leaving, and I'm not convinced that Snack is gone, for some reason.

Hayeksheroes
12-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Townsend, Logan, Hampton, Sweed, Farrior, Reed, Carter, Batch, Parker, and RG who is on IR.

steelreserve
12-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Gone:

Parker -- useless
Spaeth -- useless
Carter -- too old, sucks now
C. Davis -- see: Marc Logan two years ago
Reed -- took a half-step backward, wants too much money
Batch -- Mr. Season-Ending Injury
Logan -- Did not live up to preseason spurt
Hampton -- maybe. could affect our whole defensive makeup. depends on whether LeBeau is ready for it

Stay:

Townsend -- old, but one of the few DBs we know for sure is not retarded
McHugh -- takes Speath's place
Summers -- hopefully has his shit together this year
Sweed -- Not ready to give up yet, and we WILL need a 3rd receiver when Ware retires. Not just a 2nd, remember?

steeltheone
12-12-2009, 05:36 AM
With the blocking Logan has had i think he has done just fine.

Rick5895
12-12-2009, 06:25 AM
I will throw one in nobody is saying right now, Farrior. He is one of my my favourites but man, the last couple of games he has just looked slow!

Galax Steeler
12-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I can see Clark being gone after this season he has not played up to his potential. Giving up some big plays down the field seems to be playing out of positon as well.

supa_fly_steeler
12-12-2009, 10:56 AM
farrior won't go unless we draft a 1st round linebacker or get a really good linebacker, he calls all the defensive calls on the field he would be a big loss even though he hasnt been playin well, if we dont draft mcclain, he could alternate with keyaron fox on coverage, losing both farrior and hampton would wave our run defence goodbye.

sweed is goin nowhere. Clark will stay, unless the FO draft Berry, Mays or a good saftey, or unless they want to start mundy then he is here to stay.

mopit55
12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
eric berry will be draft before us and mcclain is a possibility but we also need an interior lineman or an offensive tackle.we can take an another good player in the second round.i hope steelers take some good decisions.

Psyychoward86
12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Casey Hampton - Great lineman.... of the past few years. This year, in a contract year, hasnt' done much. Ziggy Hood will emerge next year and line shuffled to make up for Ham's departure.

:screwy:

do u watch our games at all

Burghfan58
12-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Gone:

Parker -- useless
Spaeth -- useless
Carter -- too old, sucks now
C. Davis -- see: Marc Logan two years ago
Reed -- took a half-step backward, wants too much money
Batch -- Mr. Season-Ending Injury
Logan -- Did not live up to preseason spurt
Hampton -- maybe. could affect our whole defensive makeup. depends on whether LeBeau is ready for it

Stay:

Townsend -- old, but one of the few DBs we know for sure is not retarded
McHugh -- takes Speath's place
Summers -- hopefully has his shit together this year
Sweed -- Not ready to give up yet, and we WILL need a 3rd receiver when Ware retires. Not just a 2nd, remember?

This one makes the most sense to me. Add too slow to Carter and cant get the ball past the 10 on kickoffs to Reed.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Can't argue with any of those cuts. There are some nice players coming out this year including some kickers with big legs.
The entire secondary has issues when Troy is not in. One weak link, makes them all that bad. so to determine which is the outright problem is the task at hand.

I think Sweed needs to be given the extra year, and I'm not sold on Hampton being done, he is still anchoring that line in the middle, but needs to come at a fair discounted price. This weeks rushing was on the outside with Cribbs. How the LB's didnt see him running the same freaking way, making the same cuts every time is beyond me. Everyone know in the world its run, doesn't that increase your chances of stopping them? I do not believe this was big Snacks fault or task to stop.

markymarc
12-12-2009, 02:10 PM
The players I would like to see gone are:

Deshea Townsend
Ryan Clark
Tyronne Carter
Casey Hampton
Travis Kirschke
Nick Eason
Matt Spaeth
Charlie Batch (but I bring him back in a coaching capacity)
Willie Parker

The coaches I want gone are:

Bruce Arians
Larry Zierlien
Bob Ligashesky
Amos Jones
Ray Horton

SH-Rock
12-12-2009, 02:24 PM
We really need another defensive star someone like mel blount or jack lambert that has a lot of heart and never gives up. When troy went he took the team's morale

Heinz Hitman
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm sure not everybody who should be let go WILL be let go, but if I was running the team, these guys would be looking for employment elsewhere next year:

Casey Hampton (will want too much $, plus not getting any younger)
Travis Kirschke (time to retire)
Nick Eason (unimpressive)
Matt Spaeth (ditto)
Charlie Batch (time to retire. Would like to see as QB coach since Anderson sux)
Willie Parker (best days are far behind him)
Jeff Reed (too much of an off-the-field problem and he scares the paper towel dispensers in the locker room)
Limas Sweed (duh! His number one priority is to catch the ball and he cannot do it.)
James Farrior (been a great ride, but he is about out of gas)

Coaches who are sending out their resumes:

Bruce Arians
Larry Zierlien
Bob Ligashesky
oh hell...the only ones I would keep are Tomlin and Lebeau. Maybe Darren Perry also.

Steel-Bryan
12-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Casey and clark should be #1 priority, we should draft clarks replacement tho

steelers2685
12-13-2009, 06:57 PM
I forgot to mention Batch. I don't see him returning as a player either. I TRULY want to see him as part of our coaching staff though. Hopefully he's built up enough of a repertoire with Tomlin to be used in that capacity.

markymarc
12-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Can we add Steely McBeam to that list :chuckle: Also, it would be very nice to get Dan Rooney back here in Pittsburgh. I do believe Art will be fine running this organization, but Dan would get this thing fixed quickly.

SteelGhost
12-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Parker (no longer "FWP"/ injury prone, and Rushard is a rising star )
Reed ( Mr. Low & Short KOs )
Townsend ( time to retire )
Farrior ( this season he has lot a step, and his tackling skills look bad lately )
Batch ( time to retire )
Taylor ( don't jump on me for this guy, he's been toasted all season long )
Sweed ( roster spot, we have another needs )
Stapleton ( Essex has done a decent job IMHO and we have another needs )
Kirschke ( time to retire )
Spaeth ( hope McHugh returns fron IR nex year)
Davis ( Johnson has done a decent job and if McHught returns from IR, we don't need Carrey )

Stay one/two more years waiting for replacements

Big Snack
Aaron Smith (age and injuries)
Ty Carter (he's doing well when plays for Clark)

Coaches may get the boot:

Brucey
Zierlin
Ligashesky
Horton

FacemeIke
12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Whose contracts are coming up? We are not going to get rid of Farrior or Clark if their contracts are not up!

Parker is being pushed out of town
Hampton will want too much money and is getting up there in age.
Reed was asking for 3 mil/yr. If he accepts 1.5 he will stay otherwise he will be gone.
Townsend will retire
Batch will retire (and maybe get the QB coaching job if Anderson gets the OC job?)
Speath is gone
Patrick Bailey has been a no show on special teams and I'd like to see his roster spot open up.
Logan is on the bubble and will have to fight for a roster spot again next preseason
I think Foster will have to fight for his spot too.
There is no way we give up Essex or Stapleton, we need depth on the OLine.
Ty Carter will stick around and add depth to the secondary.

Besides that I dont see many changes, although I'm not entirely sure who is in contract years. You have to be crazy (and that is being nice) if you think we are going to give up Clark, Farrior, Ike, Smith or any other starters before their contracts are up. Sweed I'm almost positive has another year on his contract and he will stick around as the #4 WR.

supa_fly_steeler
12-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Clark will be resigned, as will they try to Hamtpon, if not they will tag him.

For Jeff Reeds leg, 3 million can be spent elsewhere, ex. on hamptons contract,

william gay and daniel sepulveda will come back, for starters one was payed 400k, 500k. so they can be resigned.

SteelGhost
12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Whose contracts are coming up? We are not going to get rid of Farrior or Clark if their contracts are not up!

Parker is being pushed out of town
Hampton will want too much money and is getting up there in age.
Reed was asking for 3 mil/yr. If he accepts 1.5 he will stay otherwise he will be gone.
Townsend will retire
Batch will retire (and maybe get the QB coaching job if Anderson gets the OC job?)
Speath is gone
Patrick Bailey has been a no show on special teams and I'd like to see his roster spot open up.
Logan is on the bubble and will have to fight for a roster spot again next preseason
I think Foster will have to fight for his spot too.
There is no way we give up Essex or Stapleton, we need depth on the OLine.
Ty Carter will stick around and add depth to the secondary.

Besides that I dont see many changes, although I'm not entirely sure who is in contract years. You have to be crazy (and that is being nice) if you think we are going to give up Clark, Farrior, Ike, Smith or any other starters before their contracts are up. Sweed I'm almost positive has another year on his contract and he will stick around as the #4 WR.

I donīt see how calling someone crazy would be nice :noidea:

We are here to share opinions, and as human beings we all have ours and we all Steeler Nation Citizens want our beloved team to perform better next year.

That being said I respect all opinions even if I don't agree, so I ask some respect for mine as well :wink02:

Peace