PDA

View Full Version : Need Pittsburgh recipes for Super Bowl Party

paulska
01-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey All,
Greetings from Halifax, NS, Canada. Gotta say I'm loving your Steelers. I'm a Packers fan, but the Steelers are the team I root for in the AFC.

I was wondering if some proper Pittsburgh-dwellers could give me some ideas about what kind of food Pittsburgh is famous for or really loves.

Every year at our SUper Bowl party we do a main course and a dessert that hails from each of the cities of the two super bowl teams (last year it was New England Clam Chowder and Boston Cream Pie for the Pats and Philly Cheesesteak Hogies and Cheesecake for the Eagles).

This year, I have no idea what passes for the favourite foods of the two cities playing in the big game.

I have heard about the Roethlis-burger, but I'm not sure what exactly makes them any different from any other burger.

Are there better dishes that typify a favourite Pittsburgh nosh? If so, do you have recipe ideas?

What about desserts?

I want to do the Steelers proper at our party. You guys are awesome football fans, and I think you have one of the best run teams in all of football. I can't say how much I dig Hines Ward, Jerome Bettis, Polamalu and Big Ben- it's easy to root for your team.

Any help you can offer would be awesome- can't wait to hear what you guys suggest for quality, authentic Pittsburgh eats for the SB party.

Go steelers!

dmewalt
01-27-2006, 07:18 PM
I don't know if you can find a recipe on line for Perogies, but you could make them or you could buy Perogies. You could have Kielbasa and Perogies. (or as my mother-in-law calls them Kolbassa). I make homemade perogies, they are labor intensive and you need help. They are sort of like potatoe and cheese filled ravoli. You cant put em in butter and onions or the way I make mine, is with sourcream and butter. God! It makes me so homesick. I'm from Perryopolis, Pennsylvania and that's what I've made for my Superbowl parties. I so wish I was home in PA. Good luck, I hope it helps. Thank you for your support for the black and gold.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Here's a recipe for Ham Barbeques ; First you'll need some Chipped Ham, you should be able to get it at your local deli. It will be the sliced ham,boiled ,or baked even but it HAS to be sliced paper thin. Next get a bottle of Ketchup, preferably Heinz, and you'll need some relish and brown sugar.
Basically: 1 lb. chipped ham, very thin cut, thin as possible
1 bottle Heinz Ketchup
2 tablespoons Relish(hot dog), maybe a little more to taste.
2 tablespoons Brown sugar

Pull apart the ham and put into a pot,add rest of ingredients and heat. Serve on hamburger buns. Put on a slice of cheese if you like.yield about 10 sandwiches depending on size and type of buns.
If your having alot of people for your party, put it all in a Crock Pot and heat through!!
Nice and easy also tasty. Enjoy!!! :yummy: :yummy:

3 to be 4
01-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Uncle Bens Rice? Heath Bars

paulska
01-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Can anybody fill me in on the details of the Roethlisburger and what makes it unique?

Is the Ham BBQ actually good? I have never heard of that before...

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Can anybody fill me in on the details of the Roethlisburger and what makes it unique?

To quote Campbell's "H'mm H'mm Good"

Also the most popular roethlisburger is something like this:
1/2 pound burger
1/2 pounder Italian sausage
2 scrambled eggs
fried onions and peppers
2 slices American cheese
all for $7.77 at Pepi's in the Strip

Hammer67
01-28-2006, 12:02 AM

It isn't really a well known Pittsburgh food, per say. Mostly a recent marketing gimmick.

You could try to make a Primanti's style sandwich. They use Mancini's bread (pittsburgh bakery) and fresh cut potato fries. Plus top of the line meats.

Check out http://www.primantibros.com

This is the Pittsburgh equivalent of the cheese steak from Philly.

(Interesting note from my buddy who grew up in Philly but moved to Pittsburgh...he said whenever you hear the phrase "Philly cheese steak" it usually isn't and that only a handful of shops in Philly can make an actual cheese steak, Philly style.)

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 05:12 AM

first of all, its really big, and looks great. And everyone says its better than the other more established burgers before anyones even tasted it:bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
01-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Italian sausage, keilbasa, pierogies and beer. Your set.

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 07:38 AM

Note to self: NEVER sit behind 83-Steelers during a game.

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-28-2006, 07:53 AM
first of all, its really big, and looks great. And everyone says its better than the other more established burgers before anyones even tasted it:bouncy:And their right.

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 08:20 AM
And their right.

English Teacher? :bouncy:

IM SORRY IM SORRY IT WAS RIGHT THERE! JUST LAYING THERE! I HAD TO SAY IT!!!!!!!

*note to board. CCSH teaches at my old High School.

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-28-2006, 08:36 AM
English Teacher? :bouncy:

IM SORRY IM SORRY IT WAS RIGHT THERE! JUST LAYING THERE! I HAD TO SAY IT!!!!!!!

*note to board. CCSH teaches at my old High School.Just woke up and feeling lazy. I knew something didn't look right. Late night at Harry's.

83-Steelers-43
01-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Note to self: NEVER sit behind 83-Steelers during a game.

:fart:

paulska
01-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the 411 on the roethlisburger y'all. What kind of bread do you serve it on- is it in a wrap (sounds like it's loose instead of formed into a patty) or a sub bun or a regular burger bun?

Any ideas for dessert?

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 12:18 PM
Just woke up and feeling lazy. I knew something didn't look right. Late night at Harry's.

man, the years fade. where Harry's?

remember the Wursthaus?

dibdeb2
01-28-2006, 12:30 PM

sounds right to me-also- Mud Pie for dessert-

Brownie, Chocolate pudding, Cool whip-
all layered in large glass bowl-
very sweet treat!!!

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 12:43 PM
sounds right to me-also- Mud Pie for dessert-

Brownie, Chocolate pudding, Cool whip-
all layered in large glass bowl-
very sweet treat!!!

so much for my colon

83-Steelers-43
01-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Dessert? I would go with cannoli's personally.

Hammer67
01-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Roethlisburgers are pretty much jsut hamburgers with a few extra toppings...go for Primantis for actual Pittsburgh!

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the 411 on the roethlisburger y'all. What kind of bread do you serve it on- is it in a wrap (sounds like it's loose instead of formed into a patty) or a sub bun or a regular burger bun?

Any ideas for dessert?
Hot sausage bun, hoagie bun and the meats are formed in to rectangular patties

3 to be 4
01-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Hot sausage bun, hoagie bun and the meats are formed in to rectangular patties

then if you're lucky the digestive process allows you to dispose of them in rectangular patties.:bouncy:

clevestinks
01-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Well you seen all the RoethlisBURGER stuff! How about some Pittsburgh style Kielbasa and kraut, and Pierogis! YUMMMMMMY

paulska
01-29-2006, 06:13 PM
I wanted to ask about sausage and kielbasa.

Some towns have a particular sausage they're particular to. Is there a truly Pittsburghian sausage or something unique about Pittsburgh kielbasa?

clevestinks
01-29-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't know if you can find a recipe on line for Perogies, but you could make them or you could buy Perogies. You could have Kielbasa and Perogies. (or as my mother-in-law calls them Kolbassa). I make homemade perogies, they are labor intensive and you need help. They are sort of like potatoe and cheese filled ravoli. You cant put em in butter and onions or the way I make mine, is with sourcream and butter. God! It makes me so homesick. I'm from Perryopolis, Pennsylvania and that's what I've made for my Superbowl parties. I so wish I was home in PA. Good luck, I hope it helps. Thank you for your support for the black and gold.
Perryopolis? Damn I buy alot of my old Steelers collectables from the flea market there whenever I get back that way

SteelerzGirl
01-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Any ideas for dessert?

A shot of Crown Royal, JD, or something with a beer chaser. You're gonna need to get that buzz back after you eat...(lol).

Go w/something simple for dessert. Nobody wants a lot of fuss. Cheesecake or a Steelers' cake decorated in Black 'n Gold!

83-Steelers-43
01-29-2006, 07:12 PM
I wanted to ask about sausage and kielbasa.

Some towns have a particular sausage they're particular to. Is there a truly Pittsburghian sausage or something unique about Pittsburgh kielbasa?

The only place I go to is Ricci's in McKees Rocks for Italian sausage.

melroseplace
01-30-2006, 03:59 PM
sounds like you've got it covered for the main dish...I'm not sure what to suggest for dessert. how about a cake shaped like a bus? lol the food lady on the Jerome Bettis show (gah, i can't remember her name) has been making those lately

dmtgp
02-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Kielbassi and sauerkraut sandwiches on hard rolls. :party: And don't forget your terrible towel!

dmtgp
02-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Silver Star Kielbassa is from Pgh. and the best!

Ambridge
02-02-2006, 03:44 PM
I like my Lager Recipe!!
A few Yuengling's and/or Iron City's(Only in the aluminum bottles)served chilled after marinating in a cooler of cubed ice after 3-4 hours.

It's Delicious.:chug:

Burg Babe
02-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi: Here's what's on our menu:

--Isaly's ham BBQ (chip chopped Isaly's ham w/bbq relish sauce) on small buns
--Pierogi's
--Mini polska sausages drenched in heinz chili sauce, iron city beer and crushed pineapple
--Clark bar brownies
--Iron City & Yuengling

Go Steelers!

El Nino
02-01-2011, 09:26 PM
To quote Campbell's "H'mm H'mm Good"

Also the most popular roethlisburger is something like this:
1/2 pound burger
1/2 pounder Italian sausage
2 scrambled eggs
fried onions and peppers
2 slices American cheese