PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Cowher discourages his players from watching TV?

klick81
01-27-2006, 08:14 PM
I really don't like all the attention that the Steelers are getting. I've felt much more comfortable when these so called experts expected us to lose games. Now that we are everyone's "favorites", do you think Cowher tells his players to ignore the media in an effort to prevent them from getting over-confident? I sure hope so....I just want our team to be as focused as they've been the past weeks.

clevestinks
01-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I`m sure that they have seen everything, but this team seems determined! This is the year!

Stlrs4Life
01-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I agree, they will learn from past mistakes. Cowher will not allow it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2006, 09:50 PM
This team knows it took 10 years to get back to this game, and before that, since 1979-80 from the previous one. They will be as focused as they need to be. I wouldnt be surprised to see cowher call a media blackout as the game gets closer to make sure the team is focused.

3 to be 4
01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Do you think Cowher discourages his players from watching TV?

absolutely. "Desperate Housewives" weakens legs.

Suitanim
01-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Before the 2001 AFC Championship Game, the Steelers had to (by NFL mandate) spend the Monday before the game going over travel arrangements (family and friends and whatnot) for the Super Bowl. It was a shortened season due to 9/11, and there weren't 2 weeks after the AFCCG in which to work, so the NFL chose to do it early.

The Patriots also were mandated to do the same. However, the Pats were devious enough to pick up on this and manipulate it...the story by the end of that week was that the Steelers were taking the Pats lightly because they were already planning their Super Bowl arrangements before they actually even played the AFCCG.

Did this affect the outcome of the game? I don't know. I do know that Cowher has been around the big game before, and, more importantly, a lot of his players have been in championship games before, and they lost.

I also read an article this week talking about how players who have both won and lost Super Bowls have just fuzzy, pleasant memories of the wins, but really vivid, play-by-play memories of the losses. I think the coaching staff of the Steelers has a ton of championship experience, and I trust that they will do a good job of imparting that knowledge upon the players...

tony hipchest
01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Before the 2001 AFC Championship Game, the Steelers had to (by NFL mandate) spend the Monday before the game going over travel arrangements (family and friends and whatnot) for the Super Bowl. It was a shortened season due to 9/11, and there weren't 2 weeks after the AFCCG in which to work, so the NFL chose to do it early.

The Patriots also were mandated to do the same. However, the Pats were devious enough to pick up on this and manipulate it...the story by the end of that week was that the Steelers were taking the Pats lightly because they were already planning their Super Bowl arrangements before they actually even played the AFCCG.

Did this affect the outcome of the game? I don't know. I do know that Cowher has been around the big game before, and, more importantly, a lot of his players have been in championship games before, and they lost.

I also read an article this week talking about how players who have both won and lost Super Bowls have just fuzzy, pleasant memories of the wins, but really vivid, play-by-play memories of the losses. I think the coaching staff of the Steelers has a ton of championship experience, and I trust that they will do a good job of imparting that knowledge upon the players...

no way the patriots would ever do such a thing and shame on you for even bringing up their hallowed name. :sofunny:

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 10:39 PM
no way the patriots would ever do such a thing and shame on you for even bringing up their hallowed name. :sofunny:

of course the Patriots would do such a thing and it shows great savvy by a winner.
but it wasnt just the travel arrangement thing. Steelers players WERE flapping their gums about New Orleans, most notably Kordell.

Suits point is an interesting twist. The Steelers coaching staff have an advantage because they LOST the Super Bowl and the Seahawks are at a disadvantage because Holmgren has WON it?

ok.

football loser
01-30-2006, 12:36 AM
I have been thinking the same thing about the media hype.

think about the Cinncinati "Who Dey" Bengals. Do you think they would still have made a music video if they could see how their playoff fortunes turned out.

How about the Indianapolis " Best team of all time" Colts? Do you think that all the media hype they recieved did them any good?

Last but not leat the Denver, " 9-0 at home---- high altitude" Broncos. They were media favorites as well.

I too, am deeply concerned with how well the young, impressionbable players on the Steelers will handle being the favorites for two media-crazed weeks of circus like news coverage. Already they have become the favorites and the media friendly team. We need to stick with our "Road Warrior- Us against them- Underdog-" Mentality if you ask me.

I am tired of hearing about how Jerome Bettis is "going home" and Ben Roethlesberger is the "youngest Qb in Superbowl history". This is not good media coverage in my opinion. Lets just play the game already and hope that we don't lose our incredible "against-all-odds-edge- over our competitors!!!!

3 to be 4
01-30-2006, 07:24 PM
ironically, it has turned into a given around the country that the Steelers will win this game.

unfortunatly its putting more pressure on the Steelers and giving tons of bulletin board material for the Seahawks. I still think the Steelers are going to win but ive never seen anything like this, where a 11-5 #6 seed is being seen as a slam dunk over a 13-3 #1.

tony hipchest
01-30-2006, 08:08 PM
unfortunatly its putting more pressure on the Steelers and giving tons of bulletin board material for the Seahawks

more pressure for the steelers? :sofunny: they have, and have had the most. nothing new.

bulletin board material? are the seahawks so unsure of themselves manning up that they need to use such feeble minded tactics? so the media hasnt covered them for the past 30 years?

3 to be 4
01-30-2006, 08:14 PM
why is it that "motivation" is a valid topic of discussion for the Steelers, as in "lets win it for the Bus" etc.., but for other teams its silly?

arent the Steelers able to man it up for this game without all the DO IT FOR THE ROONEYS and DO IT FOR BUS and DO IT FOR COWHER?