PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: Playoffs? It could happen, maybe

mesaSteeler
12-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Steelers: Playoffs? It could happen, maybe
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2009/december/13/steelers-playoffs-it-could-happen-maybe.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Sunday December 13, 2009 12:05 AM

PITTSBURGH — Before losing in Cleveland, cornerback Ike Taylor described the Steelers’ playoff hopes as “slimmer than a dog on a diet.”

But this weekend as most NFL teams played enter the final quarter of the regular season, the Steelers’ hopes are virtually impossible.

“Playoffs are pretty much over with,” wide receiver Hines Ward said Thursday night after a shocking 13-6 loss to the Browns, who were 1-11 at the time. “Right now, we are just playing for pride.”

At 6-7, the Steelers are not yet officially eliminated. Yet.

Beside their overall record, their 4-6 record in conference play and 1-4 mark in AFC North games puts them at a disadvantage in most tie-breaking categories.

With six playoff spots available in the AFC, the Steelers are behind nine teams in the chase.

For them to miraculously get in as a wild card, several things have to happen. Foremost is the Steelers snapping a five-game losing skid and winning their last three games.

“Man, we haven’t won a game in five weeks,” coach Mike Tomlin said when asked about the Steelers’ flickering playoff hopes. “We’re just trying to win a football game.”
Advertisement Beaver Valley Federal Credit Union

The Steelers also need plenty of help. They need teams ahead of them to lose most of their remaining games. Most or all of the following have to happen:

The Chargers (9-3), who lead the AFC West by virtue of a seven-game winning streak, would have to lose their last four.

The Broncos (8-4) would have to lose at least three of their last four.

The Jaguars (7-5) would have to lose at least three of their last four.

The Dolphins (6-6) would have to lose at least two games, including their season finale against the Steelers.

The Ravens (6-6) would have to lose their last two games, at Pittsburgh and at Oakland.

The Jets (6-6) would have to lose their last game, at home against Cincinnati.

All that AND the Steelers winning out.

SteelBaller
12-13-2009, 12:05 AM
:rofl:

LamarrWoodleysFade
12-13-2009, 12:38 AM
It's over, I've excepted it and I'm ready for the off-season...

stb_steeler
12-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Better luck with lightning striking me twice......:cloud:

Bluedust
12-13-2009, 01:08 AM
No wait we're a fairweather fan for not "believing". k

Mags87
12-13-2009, 02:57 AM
i was on board with believing when we controlled our own destiny. then i was onboard b4 the browns game when it was "win and jags lose 2" and were in. but now? we lost to the browns which hasnt happened in 6 years. id rather a more worthy team made the playoffs. but i honestly wouldnt be surprised if they came out and beat the sh*t out of GB. it seems that we just dont know how to beat the bad teams but contend with the big dogs.

Mr. D™
12-13-2009, 03:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

desertsteel
12-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Sorry but what does the Chargers record have to do with the wildcard??? Someone has to win the west so how does the Chargers winning hurt the Steelers? I can see the Broncos collapsing easily, starting today against the Colts. Ravens are as bad as us. Jets? Puhleeeze. Jags and Dolphins.... play each other today so one gets another loss.

I live in Philly and last year the Eagles chances were more slim than the Steelers this year. They almost made it to the super bowl.

Again, someone explain the Chargers.

Shoes
12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
................I don't even believe that :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
12-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I just do not see it happening, this isnt our year.

SC Steeler Steve
12-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I obviously hope above all hope that we correct ourselves and get in..... But it is a very long shot. I an very disappointed in the season, especially after the start we had. And there are no excuses for the K.C, Oak, and Cle loses. We win those 3 and we are in.

With all that being said I hope that if we are not gonna get in we can at least get ourselves a good spot for our first draft pick. We do have a great history of making great draft pick choices and I expect the same following this season.

Next thing is, will polamalu play again this year? I have thought he would be back the last 2 weeks and obviously he hasnt. I am sorry but I cant help but believe we win at least the K.C, Balt, and Oak games if he is in there JMO.

Dino 6 Rings
12-13-2009, 10:50 AM
How about we just win a freaking game folks...

5 losses in a row...at this point...we don't even deserve to think playoffs...

Get me 1 Win so I can get this miserable feeling out of my guts that I've been holding onto for 5 mother effing weeks...

5 weeks in a row...losses to teams we are clearly more talented then...5...

get me one win...that's all I need at this point...math and what not aside, its all garbage til we get a win.

desertsteel
12-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks for that insight. We hadn't realized that we've lost 5 in a row.

StainlessStill
12-13-2009, 12:56 PM

5 losses in a row...at this point...we don't even deserve to think playoffs...

Get me 1 Win so I can get this miserable feeling out of my guts that I've been holding onto for 5 mother effing weeks...

5 weeks in a row...losses to teams we are clearly more talented then...5...

get me one win...that's all I need at this point...math and what not aside, its all garbage til we get a win.

Well said. Sad thing is, looking at today so far, EVERYTHING is happening that we needed. Denver's getting spanked, and Miami is taking it to Jaxy. The Steelers ****ED up big time and I'm getting pissed off right now, so I'm going to stop typing.

Jaquila
12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
i need to believe i guess, but at the same I highly doubt its gonna happen

VegasStlrFan
12-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I'd love to see a miracle, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a W the rest of the year. This team is showing some major disfunctional problems.

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I'd love to see a miracle, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a W the rest of the year. This team is showing some major disfunctional problems.

The night before the Oakland game, I had a dream that we lost the rest of our games.

:banging:

Edman
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Can you please stop with the damn playoff talk?

It's not happening, folks.

VegasStlrFan
12-13-2009, 02:24 PM
The night before the Oakland game, I had a dream that we lost the rest of our games.

:banging:

That qualifies as a Nightmare!

steel9guy
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
haha. it's over. After KC I believed. After Oak I believed. After brownies loss.....no it's over. Don't get me wrong I'm still watching 180 minutes of Steelers football and I am attending the rats game and I hope it all works out but I've seen enough to know that it won't.

steelreserve
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry but what does the Chargers record have to do with the wildcard??? Someone has to win the west so how does the Chargers winning hurt the Steelers? I can see the Broncos collapsing easily, starting today against the Colts. Ravens are as bad as us. Jets? Puhleeeze. Jags and Dolphins.... play each other today so one gets another loss.

I live in Philly and last year the Eagles chances were more slim than the Steelers this year. They almost made it to the super bowl.

Again, someone explain the Chargers.

Basically, it means that if Denver doesn't choke, San Diego could choke instead and we would win the tiebreaker because we beat them head-to-head.

Out of the Chargers, Broncos, Jaguars, Ravens, Dolphins and Jets, four of them have to choke for us to catch them, and either Denver or SD will take itself out of the mix by winning the AFC West.

Still not very good odds, but that's the math behind it.

Looked at another way, I think there are eight different games that would have to go our way for this to happen. If you look at every one as a 50-50 chance, we've got about a 1-in-256 shot of making it. And that's assuming we win out, which is a BIG if at this point.

I will not be holding my breath over this.