PDA

View Full Version : These aren't your father's Steelers

mesaSteeler
12-13-2009, 11:37 AM
These aren't your father's Steelers
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/12-13-Steigy
This article has been read 79 times.

How's that pass-happy offense working out for you?

Remember how much fun it was watching Big Ben throwing it all over the lot in September and October? Who needed a running game? Just let Ben be Ben and throw it 30 or 40 times a game.

What happened in Cleveland was bound to happen.

Weather happened.

The kind of weather that makes you wish you had a guy nicknamed "The Bus" who could start running when he got off the team bus and make those 185-pound defensive backs wish they were anywhere but on a frozen field trying to tackle 265 pounds of swiveling hips, lowered shoulders and churning knees.

The Steelers had third-and-one at their own 24-yard line on their first possession Thursday night. The 45 mph wind gusts had it feeling like six-below zero.

And this is a good time to pass?

Mike Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians obviously thought so.

Roethlisberger lined up in an empty set with five wide receivers.

Sack.

For a while, going back to last season, Roethlisberger was looking like the best quarterback in the league, especially late in games. So what happened?

After looking at tape after tape of the 2008 and 2009 Steelers, maybe opposing coaches finally figured it out.

They're not the Steelers anymore.

Not the Chuck Noll- Bill Cowher-Steelers, anyway. Instead of spending most of their week preparing for Noll or Cowher, they started preparing for Mike Tomlin's Steelers and Mike Tomlin's Steelers are pass-happy.

Opponents have stopped spending all week trying to find out how to stop the Steelers' running game. It seems pretty obvious that they've been spending time figuring out ways to get to Roethlisberger.

Tomlin has a lot of work to do this offseason and some of his assistants should be putting their feelers out for jobs in 2010.

The Steelers' defense is getting old and that may be why the fourth quarter seems to be a problem.

I watched Casey Hanpton going back to the huddle Thursday night and I tried to imagine myself at 32 trying to lug that gut around the cafeteria line, much less an NFL team's offensive line.

James Farrior will be 35 next year.

Aaron Smith will be 34 and coming off a serious injury.

Brett Keisel will be 32.

Hampton, if he's still here, will be 33. His backup, Chris Hoke, will be 34.

We're approaching Over The Hill Gang territory here and maybe you've noticed that Dick LeBeau's defense requires a lot of player movement. You can't be slow and play for LeBeau.

We know that Tomlin can coach good players. He coached some good ones to a Super Bowl win last year. What we don't know is whether he can mold a team in his image and make it a consistent winner.

Noll and Cowher did that.

Cowher inherited some great players from Noll. Tomlin inherited some great players from Cowher, but a lot of those great players are either already on the downside of their careers or headed there in a hurry.

In October, I thought the Steelers were still the best team in the NFL. Now I'm starting to think this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

(Rest of the article is about Pitt football if you are interested. - mesa)

(During a debate after the first Bungle loss I stated I was deeply concerned that passing attack does not work in bad weather. Unhappily I was correct and it just had to happen against the bloody Browns. I agree with this writer and I think we are in for some rebuilding.

For those of you who don't want to get rid of Arians my only question is this; Do you want what we have now on offense to continue next year? Please don't give me a statistical argument about where our offense ranks. Such an argument means nothing if you don't win.

As far getting rid of a coordinator it depends on more than the performance of the his unit. The question that has to be asked is does the OC, DC, or ST coach have the players to make his scheme work?

After all there is only so much a coordinator can do to with the players he has to fit his scheme. What players a coordinator has to work with is complex decision between the head coach the front office, and the coordinator. A coach may want to keep a player but may not be able to due to the salary cap. For example consider Anthony Madison.

In the case of Arians I don't believe in his scheme and I don't think it works. I think that Arians is an example of the Peter Principal; "In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence."

To beat the Steelers other teams know all have to do is keep the game close. Defending DCs know that if they can stop the run Arians will either panic or get greedy and start passing. When he does they bring the kitchen sink and Big Ben gets killed.

LeBeau schemes, unlike Arians, have a long track record of being effective if he has the right players for it. At the moment we are far to dependent on Troy. If we get the right players for LeBeau we will be fine on that side of the ball which is why I don't want him to be fired.

Switching schemes is not easy thing to do either. Fans forget that there are men out there and not robots. You can't just flip a switch and expect the players to go from knowing how to play a 3-4 to knowing how to play a 4-3. There is a pretty steep learning curve there.

As far the ST coach I think he should be gone. We changed players and our special teams are still not good enough.

I think Arians should be gone after this year. We were lucky to win the Super Bowl last year. We left points on the field when we could not score from the red zone and it damn near cost us the game. We had to win in a shoot out. Shootouts are what you get when you can't or won't run the ball.

Another reason for Arians to go is I don't think the team believes in him anymore.

As far Tomlin I don't want him to be fired. However the jury is still out on him. Can he rebuild this team? We will see.

Well I have review some plans today for a concrete pour tomorrow so I won't have time for any more analysis today. - mesa)

stb_steeler
12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Hopefully we dont pick up anymore Browns leftovers.....:wink02:

truesteelerfan
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Good article, thanks for sharing....I agree, our ST and OC must go, AND equally impotant, time for young blood on our D.

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Then, Ben's brain got smashed into his scull for the 15th time and he couldn't see or think straight.

Shoes
12-13-2009, 12:24 PM
As I said way back in another thread, the Ambassador To Ireland needs to return and get the ship steady. The Rooney's are not blind as to what is going on...... in that I have peace about the future of the team. I believe Mike T. has the stuff to be a great coach, he's young and learning and I'm sure intimidated at times. Everyone needs direction in life . A little time with the Ambassador and Mike T will be fine......and with that will come coaching/player changes and I trust, the Steeler football we all know and love. :tt02:

..............as for Casey , we just need to get him into therapy and convince him that the football is a giant twinkie :chuckle:

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
As I said way back in another thread, the Ambassador To Ireland needs to return and get the ship steady. The Rooney's are not blind as to what is going on...... in that I have peace about the future of the team. I believe Mike T. has the stuff to be a great coach, he's young and learning and I'm sure intimidated at times. Everyone needs direction in life . A little time with the Ambassador and Mike T will be fine......and with that will come coaching/player changes and I trust, the Steeler football we all know and love. :tt02:

..............as for Casey , we just need to get him into therapy and convince him that the football is a giant twinkie :chuckle:

I am very sad for Dan Rooney. He must have felt awful watching this happen after he left.

Vincent
12-13-2009, 02:07 PM
My father's Steelers included names like Shipkey, Stautner, Finks, Butler, Libscomb, Baker, Layne, Dial and Johnson, all football players. Those teams didn't win titles, but the other teams always knew they had just played the Steelers...

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/vinnyq/BakersackTittle.jpghttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/379947224_9c2f9fa2c1.jpg

...ain't that right YA?

And my grandfathers' Steelers had names like Blood and Bullet.