PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Scenarios

Pages : [1] 2

KeiselPower99
12-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Ok I know alot of yall dont wanna hear it but Im gonna lay all this out here and that way we know where we stand.

Week 14
Miami over Jax
Indy over Denver

Week 15
We beat GB
Indy over Jax
Titans over Miami
Atlanta over Jets
Chicago over Baltimore

Week 16
Houston over Miami
Ne over Jax
We beat Baltimore

Week 17
We beat Miami

With this scenario we are in as a 6 seed. Its alot of fathom but there it is.

plenewken
12-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I hope for your wallet that you don't bet the farm on these results. <g>

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Miami over Jax
Indy over Denver

Check.

Week 15
We beat GB
Indy over Jax
Titans over Miami
Atlanta over Jets
Chicago over Baltimore

Miami doesn't have to lose anymore games (except to the Steelers of course). If they win the rest except to the Steelers, they'd both be 9-7 with the Steelers having the first tie-breaker.

Week 16
Houston over Miami
Ne over Jax
We beat Baltimore

Same as above.

Week 17
We beat Miami

Have to just close the deal at that point.

toughsticks87
12-13-2009, 03:20 PM
The Bears beating the Ratbirds? Idk about that...

Kemo Eat U
12-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Except for the Ravens versus the Bears everything else is possible

plenewken
12-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Except for the Ravens versus the Bears everything else is possible

But unlikely.

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Now that you think about it, wouldn't it be a hoot to lose to the 3 worst teams in the league....and then go on to win the Superbowl after everybody wrote us off?

Hey... a girl can dream. :chuckle:

Borski
12-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Ok I know alot of yall dont wanna hear it but Im gonna lay all this out here and that way we know where we stand.

Week 14
Miami over Jax
Indy over Denver

Week 15
We beat GB
Indy over Jax
Titans over Miami
Atlanta over Jets
Chicago over Baltimore

Week 16
Houston over Miami
Ne over Jax
We beat Baltimore

Week 17
We beat Miami

I can see those outcomes happening, but we need to show some heart on the field if we are gonna keep our end of the deal.

Preacher
12-13-2009, 04:23 PM
the saddest thing of all about this....

is that the most unlikely of scenarios, is that the Steelers actually win three straight.

I actually see everything else happening before I see that happening.

JCPsteelers
12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't see the Ravens losing to the Bears and the Falcons over the Jets is a stretch with all the players the Falcons have out..

For the ones who believe that we have a shot at the playoffs, you want to be rooting for Denver to come back to 9-7 and to have the Jaguars and Jets finish with 8 wins.. That's the case on how the Steelers can make the playoffs..

Jets I think have to play the Colts and Bengals in Week 16/17.. And if the Bengals have the 3rd or 4th seed locked up(totally plausible with a loss at the Chargers next week), they aren't going to help out the Steelers in Week 17 so they can see them in the 1st round.. Keep that in mind..

I'm going to wait until I see us win a game before I start believing any of this can happen..

Sharkissle29
12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
indy over jax could be tough....indy already has a #1 seed locked up

Preacher
12-13-2009, 04:32 PM
The funny thing is, I just can't stop watching and hoping.

And of course, I will be watching next week with just that slim chance of hope still.... :banging:

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 04:33 PM
The funny thing is, I just can't stop watching and hoping.

And of course, I will be watching next week with just that slim chance of hope still.... :banging:

Because we love our team. :drink:

Preacher
12-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Because we love our team. :drink:

Yes, but there is a thin line between love and self-abuse :wink02:

stillers4me
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
haha that's funny everything almost went right into place for us had we won. ouch.

I know I'm laughing my a$$ off.

KeiselPower99
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
We are still in this thing. I think the extra days to stew on the last 2 losses are gonna make us hungry and wanna go out on a winning streak.

headymessman86
12-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Sounds funny, but at least we're not playing teams with a losing record.
Say what you like about this team,but at least they play up to the good teams as well as the play down to the Chiefs, Raiders and Brownies of the world.

steelreserve
12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
After today, I honestly think it's about a 50-50 chance that we'll get the help we need. Most of the teams in front of us are not very good.

Winning our own final three is the toughest part. So I will still be watching, although not holding my breath.

Also, don't forget: It is still technically possible for us to catch the Patriots. AND for Miami to win the division even if they lose to us. Wouldn't it be an amazing twist of irony if beating the Dolphins in the last game got us into the playoffs AND knocked New England out? I would be laughing for a solid month.

Hotrodder07
12-13-2009, 06:46 PM

Week 14
Miami over Jax
Indy over Denver

Week 15
We beat GB
Indy over Jax
Titans over Miami
Atlanta over Jets
Chicago over Baltimore

Week 16
Houston over Miami
Ne over Jax
We beat Baltimore

Week 17
We beat Miami

Dang it! I had lost absolutely all hope until I read that post. Now I think it may be possible, and I'm going to be let down, AGAIN, after one of those games doesn't go the way we need it to. Why'd you have to go and post that...:flap:

Sharkissle29
12-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Dang it! I had lost absolutely all hope until I read that post. Now I think it may be possible, and I'm going to be let down, AGAIN, after one of those games doesn't go the way we need it to. Why'd you have to go and post that...:flap:

i know what you mean.......

i just CANNOT GIVE UP ALREADY!!!!! lol

mf8590
12-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I live in Baltimore and I can tell you that they are scared as hell having to go into pittsburgh on Dec 27 with their playoff hopes on the line despite the way we have been playing lately. It wont be as devastating if we can knock Baltimore out of it. In a season thats seemingly lost that would be consolation. I still hold out hope that in Miami on Jan 3, we will be playing for a playoff spot.

Shellshock
12-13-2009, 07:33 PM
It may be time to put this abortion of a season to bed.

KeiselPower99
12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
It may be time to put this abortion of a season to bed.

NEVER!!!!! We will fight until there is nothing to fight for!!!!

grinch111
12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I have awesome seats for the ravens game dec. 27th. I cant even describe how ive felt watching our steelers beat themselves these last couple of weeks. Was thinking of selling them but to hell with that, even if it means nothing to us hopefully we can ruin their season.

ricardisimo
12-14-2009, 03:21 AM

Perzactly... Any and all hopes of getting help to squeak in depend on Indy winning numerous times in the last three weeks. They've got nothing to play for, folks. They might even get lucky and win two of three, but all three ain't gonna happen.

The_WARDen
12-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Playoffs? This team? What a joke!

They should be fighting for a great draft pick to improve their chances next year.

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2009, 08:39 AM
I live in Baltimore and I can tell you that they are scared as hell having to go into pittsburgh on Dec 27 with their playoff hopes on the line despite the way we have been playing lately. It wont be as devastating if we can knock Baltimore out of it. In a season thats seemingly lost that would be consolation. I still hold out hope that in Miami on Jan 3, we will be playing for a playoff spot.

Really? I'm not scared and neither are most of the Ravens fan I know. Will it be a challenge? Certainly. But if KC, Cleveland and Oakland can beat Pittsburgh, so can Baltimore, with or without Roethlisberger at QB.

Your task to worry about right now is Green Bay and Baltimore's is Chicago.

steelpride12
12-14-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't care about what other teams could do. We must win out and with this lack of heart and effort. Im worried.

Carolina Steelers
12-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Really? I'm not scared and neither are most of the Ravens fan I know. Will it be a challenge? Certainly. But if KC, Cleveland and Oakland can beat Pittsburgh, so can Baltimore, with or without Roethlisberger at QB.

Your task to worry about right now is Green Bay and Baltimore's is Chicago.

You should be I know the Steelers are playing ugly and your chances are better that they used to be but last time it took OT to win vs Dennis Dixon is 1st start. Flacco needs to play alot better for you guys to win this time!

plenewken
12-14-2009, 09:44 AM
You should be I know the Steelers are playing ugly and your chances are better that they used to be but last time it took OT to win vs Dennis Dixon is 1st start. Flacco needs to play alot better for you guys to win this time!

Before we play Baltimore, we're going to play Green Bay and it's not going to be a cakewalk. They're a much better team than we are at this point.

arge5809
12-14-2009, 09:44 AM

Yes but you know that Manning wants that perfect season to rub in Brady's face!!

:tt03:

steelerchad
12-14-2009, 09:50 AM

I'm not sure about that. This team may be mailing it in at this point. I wish that weren't the case, but I think they are thinking about the holidays and spending the off season relaxing right now. Those kind of "soft thoughts" don't make for great football. There has been no fire in this team and if they were going to turn it around I think it would have happened the last 2 weeks against far inferior opponents.

I hope I'm wrong.

johnnyribcage
12-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Sorry, gotta do it...

Playoffs?! Playoffs?! Are you kidding me? Don't talk about -- Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game!

steelreserve
12-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes but you know that Manning wants that perfect season to rub in Brady's face!!

:tt03:

I don't think Indy will start half-assing it until the very last week, if even then.

Remember a couple years ago when they started resting their starters with 2-3 weeks to go, and then when playoff time came around, they hadn't played in a month and were rusty as hell, and they flamed out in their first game? They probably learned a lesson from that.

Well, maybe not. It may have been the same way we "learned" from 2006.

Crow-Magnon
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM

I said I was concerned, and I am. But scared? Nah.

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
its hilarious that all the math we needed happened this weekend, but we couldn't get our win over the Browns...

Hey its 3rd and 1 after 2 straight running plays got us 9 yards on the opening drive...lets go with a shotgun spread out formation and give up a sack and set a pathetic tone for the entire game!!! Effing Brilliant

StainlessStill
12-14-2009, 11:50 AM
its hilarious that all the math we needed happened this weekend, but we couldn't get our win over the Browns...

Hey its 3rd and 1 after 2 straight running plays got us 9 yards on the opening drive...lets go with a shotgun spread out formation and give up a sack and set a pathetic tone for the entire game!!! Effing Brilliant

And THEN they did it AGAIN on their next possession! They must of thought that it worked SO well the first time, that they just HAD to try it again. Brilliant!

Dino 6 Rings
12-14-2009, 11:53 AM
And THEN they did it AGAIN on their next possession! They must of thought that it worked SO well the first time, that they just HAD to try it again. Brilliant!

Holy crap you're right....they didn't just do it once, the did it again on the very next possession, because giving up a sack on 3rd down was a total fluke with our oline...I'm sure that's the mindset right...

3rd and 3 from their own 13...shotgun formation...sack...

Freaking Brilliant.

Mr. Dô
12-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Week 14
Miami over Jax
Indy over Denver

Week 15
We beat GB
Indy over Jax
Titans over Miami
Atlanta over Jets
Chicago over Baltimore

Week 16
Houston over Miami
Ne over Jax
We beat Baltimore

Week 17
We beat Miami

I'm going over this with the nfl playoff Scenario Generator

you only need to beat Miami they can still beat Houston and Ten without messing up your playoff chances

I also checked on other games like Week 15 Jets game, they can win that game and steelers still be in

The only ones you really need to hope for is those Jacksonville losses and Baltimore Losses from what it looks like so far

here is the Scenario I had checked for you with the changes in those dolphin losses to wins

and the jets loss to a win

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&13=41505054&14=54404515&15=50040041&16=45145505

The_WARDen
12-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm going over this with the nfl playoff Scenario Generator

you only need to beat Miami they can still beat Houston and Ten without messing up your playoff chances

I also checked on other games like Week 15 Jets game, they can win that game and steelers still be in

The only ones you really need to hope for is those Jacksonville losses and Baltimore Losses from what it looks like so far

here is the Scenario I had checked for you with the changes in those dolphin losses to wins

and the jets loss to a win

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&13=41505054&14=54404515&15=50040041&16=45145505

This is like going back to a sadistic ex-girlfriend over and over again.

Mr. Dô
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry lol, I would love to see a round three between our two teams in the playoffs

HowBoutThemSteelers
12-14-2009, 07:05 PM
If the Steelers win this week and the Ravens lose.......... WE ARE IN THERE.

Mr. Dô
12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
of course if the Ravens beat the Steelers then the Ravens are the ones that are in there

Crow-Magnon
12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Of course, if Jacksonville and Denver win enough games, they are in there and we are both out.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-15-2009, 08:18 AM
I think you all need to be reminded of something

Bruce: Bring out yer dead!
[A man puts a body on the cart.]
Zerlin: Here's one.
Bruce: That'll be ninepence.
Steelers: I'm not dead!
Bruce: What?
Zerlin: Nothing. There's your ninepence.
Steelers: I'm not dead!
Bruce: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Zerlin: Yes he is.
Steelers: I'm not!
Bruce He isn't.
Zerlin: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
Steelers: I'm getting better!
Zerlin: No you're not, you'll be stone dead in a moment.
Bruce: Well, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
Steelers: I don't want to go on the cart!
Zerlin: Oh, don't be such a baby.
Bruce: I can't take him.
Steelers: I feel fine!
Zerlin: Oh, do me a favor.
Bruce: I can't!
Zerlin: Well, can you hang around for a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
Bruce: I promised I'd be at the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
Zerlin: Well, when's your next round?
Bruce: Thursday.
Steelers: I think I'll go for a walk!
Zerlin: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Isn't there anything you could do?
Steelers: I feel happy! I feel happy!
[Bruce glances up and down the street furtively, then silences the Steelers with his a whack of his club.]
Zierlin: Ah, thank you very much.
Bruce: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
Zerlin: Right.

HowBoutThemSteelers
12-15-2009, 12:38 PM
of course if the Ravens beat the Steelers then the Ravens are the ones that are in there

The only way we get in is if the ravens lose sunday against the bears (because I dont see the Raiders giving a shit the last game of the season), we will win our last three and jacksonville will lose to either the pats or the colts and denver will lose to the eagles. this is our destiny :noidea:
:tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03:

I refuse to give up on a team that has lost everyone of their games by 7 points or less had they pulled these games out noone would be bitchin (even though I said BA shouldve been fired after the SB win)

BigBen'sSwagger
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
The only way we get in is if the ravens lose sunday against the bears (because I dont see the Raiders giving a shit the last game of the season), we will win our last three and jacksonville will lose to either the pats or the colts and denver will lose to the eagles. this is our destiny :noidea:
:tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03:

I refuse to give up on a team that has lost everyone of their games by 7 points or less had they pulled these games out noone would be bitchin (even though I said BA shouldve been fired after the SB win)

The problem is not if they win these games it's how they play. They have not played a single complete game all year. They played a great 1st 1/2 against San Diego then almost gave that one away. They played a great 2nd 1/2 against the bronk ho's. Got some luck against the vikes but I'll take it we need luck.

If they win against the chefs raiders and clowns it will improve the record but if they only win by the slimmest of margins or in overtime it will still make us scratch our heads. This team needs complete games from here on out to show us fans they are for real otherwise it may turn out to be a longer off season than we expected.

7/39/43
12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
last game of the year decides who's in ,Pitt wins we're in ,Miami win they are in. Some gut feelin I have

Pentheon
12-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Until were mathematically out I'll never give up on our team.

So far so good from the first few games we needed.

shinoff2183
12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry lol, I would love to see a round three between our two teams in the playoffs

Whats up mr. D, Im not sure if you remember me from another football forum that was closed.

Mr. Dô
12-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Whats up mr. D, Im not sure if you remember me from another football forum that was closed.

yep I remember you

and btw steelers suck :hatsoff: lol

StainlessStill
12-18-2009, 08:00 AM
The Steelers single handily blew it.

Everything we needed, and THEN SOME happened for the Steelers if they only could of beat ONE of the worst teams in the league. If they would have just beat the Browns, Chiefs, or Raiders then we would hold the 6th spot right now.

I predicted that the Jags would lose at least 3 out of their last 4. So far they are 0-2 and will probably complete that prediction against the Pats. Denver will lose Atleast 1 more, maybe two.

For the Steelers to get in, they need to beat Green Bay, Baltimore and Miami and need the Ravens to lose to the Bears this weekend, and need the Jags to lose one more.

I could see all happening, but I HIGHLY doubt the Bears knock off the Ravens even though both teams are mediocre in my opinion. Also, winning out and winning 3 games at this point seems like a miracle. We will see.

Dino 6 Rings
12-18-2009, 09:11 AM
well the Jags lost...so like...that's good right?

StainlessStill
12-18-2009, 09:44 AM
well the Jags lost...so like...that's good right?

Anybody in front of us that loses is a good thing, so yes, the Steelers needed the Colts to win last night. Everyone was chasing Jacksonville for that 6th WC spot so the Jags losing is a good thing for us or any other team that's either 7-6, or 6-7.

The Jags need to lose one more and the Ravens need to lose 2 more (includes us, so 1 more if say, we beat the Ravens.)

steelerchad
12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Jags losing was a good thing. If the Steelers take care of business, I think it's probably 50%-50% they get in. The hard part is winning 3 in a row against 3 teams also fighting to get a spot.

If we assume we get the 3 wins, it's not all that hard for us to get the other help we need. It could be done several different ways.
With 2 wildcards one of the teams below us can finish ahead of us, so one of the scenarios doesn't have to happen for us to get in.

Den- needs to lose 2 of last 3 games.
Balt- needs to lose 1 of last 2 games in addtion to ours.
Jax- needs to lose 1 of last 2 games.
Jets- needs to lose 2 of last 3 games or lose 1 game and have Miami also finish 9-7. This will eliminate the Jets and give us a tiebreaker over the Dolphins.

A 5 way tie at 9-7 would look like this with tiebreakers.

Denver
Baltimore- In
Steelers- In
Dolphins
Jets

Dino 6 Rings
12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Guess we need to win a stinking game first though...

mwittman5
12-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Jags losing was a good thing. If the Steelers take care of business, I think it's probably 50%-50% they get in. The hard part is winning 3 in a row against 3 teams also fighting to get a spot.

If we assume we get the 3 wins, it's not all that hard for us to get the other help we need. It could be done several different ways.
With 2 wildcards one of the teams below us can finish ahead of us, so one of the scenarios doesn't have to happen for us to get in.

Den- needs to lose 2 of last 3 games.
Balt- needs to lose 1 of last 2 games in addtion to ours.
Jax- needs to lose 1 of last 2 games.
Jets- needs to lose 2 of last 3 games or lose 1 game and have Miami also finish 9-7. This will eliminate the Jets and give us a tiebreaker over the Dolphins.

A 5 way tie at 9-7 would look like this with tiebreakers.

Denver
Baltimore- In
Steelers- In
Dolphins
Jets

if im not mistaken in a 3 way tie the conference record is the tie breaker. Steelers can only be tied with the dolphins or broncos and get the head to head tie breaker

WH
12-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Go Steelers.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Until they are mathematically elimanted, I will keep the hope alive. Everybody wrote us off in 2005 too...I've seen what this team is capable of when they play up to their potential.

steelerchad
12-18-2009, 03:20 PM
if im not mistaken in a 3 way tie the conference record is the tie breaker. Steelers can only be tied with the dolphins or broncos and get the head to head tie breaker

I believe you are mistaken. The way they would do the 5 way tie is eliminate all but 1 team from each division first. The Dolphins would beat out the Jets, and the Ravens would beat out the Steelers. The Raven would then win the tie breaker between the Broncos and Dolphins putting them in.

Then the process would be repeated again.
The Jets again would lose out to the Dolphins, leaving the Broncos, Dolphins, and us. Head to head is the first tie breaker only if one team has beaten both of the others. And in this case we would have beaten both the Broncos and the Dolphins. Putting the Ravens and us as wildcards.

stb_steeler
12-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Now that you think about it, wouldn't it be a hoot to lose to the 3 worst teams in the league....and then go on to win the Superbowl after everybody wrote us off?

Hey... a girl can dream. :chuckle:

Yeah cant imagine what the title to that DVD set would be called....LoL
( On the Crooked Road to Super Bowl XLIIII) :rofl:

43Hitman
12-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah cant imagine what the title to that DVD set would be called....LoL
( On the Crooked Road to Super Bowl XLIIII) :rofl:

Lol, more like on the crooked dirt path to the Super Bowl XLIV.:chuckle:

StainlessStill
12-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Lol, more like on the crooked dirt path to the Super Bowl XLIV.:chuckle:

Me and my brother we actually talking about this today. No doubt, that it would be the biggest turnaround in ALL OF SPORTS and this Steelers team would defy the most vicious odds and actually be labeled the best team BY far of this decade.

Can you imagine? Us winning would LITERALLY mean we would get away with rape. SERIOUSLY! MAN that would be so amazing to even witness a playoff berth.

Steelboy84
12-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Chicago over Baltimore is the toughest one. All the rest are MORE than doable, but we have to WIN.

Of course, GB isn't a "weak" team, so we'll probably show up against them.

Crow-Magnon
12-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Chicago over Baltimore is the toughest one. All the rest are MORE than doable, but we have to WIN.

Of course, GB isn't a "weak" team, so we'll probably show up against them.

If the Ravens lose to da Bears Sunday, my tirade will make you guys and gals' bitching about the Steelers woes look like child's play. :chuckle:

Unfortunately (for me, that is) this year, anything's possible.

43Hitman
12-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Me and my brother we actually talking about this today. No doubt, that it would be the biggest turnaround in ALL OF SPORTS and this Steelers team would defy the most vicious odds and actually be labeled the best team BY far of this decade.

Can you imagine? Us winning would LITERALLY mean we would get away with rape. SERIOUSLY! MAN that would be so amazing to even witness a playoff berth.

That would be something for sure. I will remain hopeful until we are completely eliminated.:drink:

43Hitman
12-18-2009, 09:58 PM
If the Ravens lose to da Bears Sunday, my tirade will make you guys and gals' bitching about the Steelers woes look like child's play. :chuckle:

Unfortunately (for me, that is) this year, anything's possible.

That, I would like to see! :chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
12-18-2009, 10:10 PM
That, I would like to see! :chuckle:

It remains to be seen if the new 4:15 start time helps the Ravens or the Bears.

steelerchad
12-19-2009, 07:00 AM
It remains to be seen if the new 4:15 start time helps the Ravens or the Bears.

I would say any kind of changes, weather, or chaos would help the lesser team which would be the Bears. Whenever I feel my team is the better team I always want good, clean conditions with no drama. Let's just line up and play them game.

I think bad weather especially, tends to even out teams. My guess is since the game was moved to 4:15 the NFL is doing that because they think the weather will be better at that time or they will have more time to get the field back into decent condition, so if that's the case then I'd say advantage Ravens. Since I think good field conditions would help you and the start time doesn't mean much. Although, as the sun goes down shortly after kickoff it should be even colder.

Anyway, go Bears. I'm holding out for any hope at all for a playoff spot, which makes the game next week between us a little more meaningful.

Crow-Magnon
12-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Anyway, go Bears. I'm holding out for any hope at all for a playoff spot, which makes the game next week between us a little more meaningful.

Although I hope the Ravens-Steelers game isn't as meaningful as you hope it will be, I'm sure it will still be a battle, no matter what. They always are.

This has been a strange season for both our teams. Steelers and Ravens play in the AFCC and Pittsburgh wins the SB, and now both are scrambling for the #6 WC spot after 13 games featuring erratic play; especially from defenses every team in the league normally fears to suit up against. I'm more used to offensive let-downs than Steelers fans are (Boller-Grbac-Case-Redman-Mitchell.....need I go on?), but this year I thought the Ravens offense was going to be better, especially after the first three games of 30+ points each.

But one thing I will say: if either the Ravens or the Steelers make it into the post-season, they still will be teams others will not want to face. Just ask the Titans or the Chargers about that! :drink:

43Hitman
12-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I would say any kind of changes, weather, or chaos would help the lesser team which would be the Bears. Whenever I feel my team is the better team I always want good, clean conditions with no drama. Let's just line up and play them game.

I think bad weather especially, tends to even out teams. My guess is since the game was moved to 4:15 the NFL is doing that because they think the weather will be better at that time or they will have more time to get the field back into decent condition, so if that's the case then I'd say advantage Ravens. Since I think good field conditions would help you and the start time doesn't mean much. Although, as the sun goes down shortly after kickoff it should be even colder.

Unfortunately I think Ray Rice from Rutgers will be Running Rampant on the Bears. (My Rich Eisen impersonation..I think it's funny the way he calls Ray Rice's replays)

StainlessStill
12-19-2009, 09:04 AM
I don't see the Bears knocking off Baltimore IN Baltimore. Baltimore's run game is coming alive and the Bears are a team worse off at this point. They played GB tough but lets hope the Ravens falter as bad as we did! There's a chance, even if it's a tiny one.

7SteelGal43
12-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I looked at the most current standings on NFL.com and kinda drew up a "Steelers In" scenario. Please tell me if I'm mistaken 'bout any of it. Of course this is all based on us winning out.

Patriots: div leader
Dolphins 7-6 must lose 1, to Steelers
Jets 7-6 must lose 1

Bengals: div leader
Ravens 7-6 must lose 2, including 1 to Steelers
Steelers 6-7 must win out

Colts: div leader
Jags 7-7 must lose 1
Titans 6-7 must lose 1
Texans 6-7 must lose 1

Chargers: div leader
Broncos 8-5, well kinda doesn't matter, if they get 1st w.c. we get 2nd.

steelerchad
12-19-2009, 03:35 PM
I looked at the most current standings on NFL.com and kinda drew up a "Steelers In" scenario. Please tell me if I'm mistaken 'bout any of it. Of course this is all based on us winning out.

Patriots: div leader
Dolphins 7-6 must lose 1, to Steelers
Jets 7-6 must lose 1

Bengals: div leader
Ravens 7-6 must lose 2, including 1 to Steelers
Steelers 6-7 must win out

Colts: div leader
Jags 7-7 must lose 1
Titans 6-7 must lose 1
Texans 6-7 must lose 1

Chargers: div leader
Broncos 8-5, well kinda doesn't matter, if they get 1st w.c. we get 2nd.

I don't believe the Titans or Texans have to lose 1 for us to get in. Also, if the Broncos were to lose 2 or their last 3, then the Ravens wouldn't have to lose another game besides the Steelers game.

Below is a cool link that allows you to play around with different scenarios. I think if we win out we have a decent chance. At that point, I the only thing that really needs to happen is for either the Broncos to lose 2 out of 3 or the Ravens to lose 1 of their other 2 games + a Jets loss. Actually pretty possible. The hardest part again is to win 3 for us. It could all be for not tomorrow night if we don't show up again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=54114151&15=50000041&16=55145551

theplatypus
12-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Atlanta has a 1st and goal down by 4 with under 2 minutes to play.

WH
12-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Atlanta has a 1st and goal down by 4 with under 2 minutes to play.

Jets and Miami lost and New Englad won. yes yes yes

I SPOKE TO SOON FOR MIAMI!! SHIIT!

theplatypus
12-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Miami lost and New Englad won. yes yes yes

Touchdown Atlanta!

Freaking Jets fans throwing snowballs on the field just before the ball was snapped.

7SteelGal43
12-20-2009, 03:09 PM
OK, am I missing something here ? I'm watching the the FOX pregame and they are talking about the AFC playoff picture, and they do not mention the Steelers as "in the hunt". Granted, the majority of folks probably feel it's a long shot, but it COULD happen...so are we in the hunt or not, FOX ?????
I mean even NFL.com lists the Steelers as "in the hunt".

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO :tt03:

WH
12-20-2009, 03:19 PM
OK, am I missing something here ? I'm watching the the FOX pregame and they are talking about the AFC playoff picture, and they do not mention the Steelers as "in the hunt". Granted, the majority of folks probably feel it's a long shot, but it COULD happen...so are we in the hunt or not, FOX ?????

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO :tt03: with a win today, they'll be ''in the hunt'' on Fox next week. especially if Baltimore loses.

Crow-Magnon
12-20-2009, 03:45 PM

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO :tt03:

Because, prior to the 1:00 games, they were a long shot. Things got a little tighter with the Jets and Miami losing. And NE winning helped the Ravens.

WH
12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
And NE winning helped the Ravens.
how?

Crow-Magnon
12-20-2009, 04:04 PM
how?

Because if they crap out and Miami or the Jets win the division and NE is in line for a WC, they hold the tie-breaker over Baltimore.

tmacsteelerfan
12-20-2009, 04:30 PM
The thing I see tough is us winning out the rest of the season, but it is very possible. Not showing in that stat is other games week 17 that could help us if one of those teams wins.

Sharkissle29
12-20-2009, 06:59 PM
bump......

A lot of things went our way today, quick question.

If denver loses one more game, and the jets lost one more game, do we still get in if we win out?

Would this mean Balt and Steelers could have the a WC spot????

We have tiebreakers over Denver, Tennessee, and Miami (if we win)...but in what order would the tie breakers work?????

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:03 PM
If we beat the Ravens next week, we're both 8-7. The Ratbirds are 6th in the AFC playoffs right now. So what does this mean if we win?

Sharkissle29
12-20-2009, 07:04 PM
If we beat the Ravens next week, we're both 8-7. The Ratbirds are 6th in the AFC playoffs right now. So what does this mean if we win?

They have a better conference record so they will have the tie-breaker since we split (if we win that is)

Also assuming they beat oakland, who actually beat denver this week.....

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 07:05 PM
I think its great that the Raiders beat Denver...not only does it spell doom for the Broncos now going on to lose their next 2 games...but 4 of the remaining 7 people in my suicide pool had Denver LOL

7-7

now we see how it shakes out.

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:05 PM
They have a better conference record so they will have the tie-breaker since we split (if we win that is)

Damn. Well, that's a bit of a damper.

7SteelGal43
12-20-2009, 07:06 PM

As far as the Ravens go, they have to lose their next 2 and of course we have to win our next two. Plus, we still have our eye on a few other games, needing teams to lose.

SteelersinCA
12-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty sure if we win out and the jets, donkeys and jags lose we get in.

Sharkissle29
12-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Damn. Well, that's a bit of a damper.

I still think there is a way that both Balt and Pitt gets in...im not 100% on the tie-breaker rules, but we have (or will have if we win out) a lot of head to head tiebreakers of teams in the playoff picture....

jjpro11
12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
here's what we need.

win out
Jaguars lose 1
Jets lose 1
Denver lose 1

if you look at the matchups.. it's very possible. Jags go to Pats next week. Jets go to Colts next week. Broncos go to Eagles next week.

Sharkissle29
12-20-2009, 07:11 PM
JAX remaining teams.......New England , Cleveland
Jets remaining teams.......indy and cincy (prolly no help from cincy if u know what i mean)
Denver remaining teams...Philly, KC

Mags87
12-20-2009, 07:11 PM
here's what we need.

win out
Jaguars lose 1
Jets lose 1
Denver lose 1

if you look at the matchups.. it's very possible. Jags go to Pats next week. Jets go to Colts next week. Broncos go to Eagles next week.

if we win out and baltimore loses out, are we in?

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 07:14 PM
if denver, baltimore and us are all 9-7 then the ravens and steelers get in right?

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Denver has Phili and K.C. They win one, lose one, 9-7. Pittsburgh at 9-7 would have tie breaker over them.

Jacksonville at NE and at Cle.

NYJ at Indy and home vs Cincy.

Miami at home vs Houston and Pittsburgh.

Ravens at Pittsburgh and at Oakland.

Titans at home vs SD and at Seattle.

So it will be interesting.

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:17 PM
if we win out and baltimore loses out, are we in?

We win out, 9-7.

Ravens lose out, 8-8.

I think we're still looking up at Miami, the Jets, and Denver for that 6th spot, just assuming all win. If they lose, I think we're in.

We'll be at this all night trying to get Pittsburgh in. lol

Mags87
if denver, baltimore and us are all 9-7 then the ravens and steelers get in right?

i would think so since we did beat denver head2head. and with Oakland pulling off some big wins lately, not that big of a stretch. the colts arent playing for anything but perfection so that might play out to our disadvantage

bozz723
We need -

To win out.

Baltimore to lose their last game, Jets to lose one more game, Jacksonville to lose one more game.

or

Win out.

Denver to lose one more game, Jacksonville to lose one more game, and the Jets to lose one more game.

Schedules:

Denver vs Philly @ Philly next week. This HAS to be Denver's loss. I think it will be.

Jets play the Colts next week, and then Cincy. One of those two will more than likely be a loss.

Jacksonville plays the Patriots next week. The Pats win and they clinch. I think it is virtually a certainty the Jags lose next week.

The Ravens play the Raiders last week of season.

So.....

Scenario number two is LIKELY to happen. I think the Steelers will be in the playoffs...somehow.

Mags87
12-20-2009, 07:18 PM
We win out, 9-7.

Ravens lose out, 8-8.

I think we're still looking up at Miami, the Jets, and Denver for that 6th spot, just assuming all win. If they lose, I think we're in.

we win out, we get a tie breaker over mia cause they are on our schedule. i think we win out and bal loses, which means we beat them and oakland can as well we are good. a victory is so sweet though!

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 07:19 PM
i think people are forgetting miami

what if its:
steelers 9-7
miami 9-7
ravens 9-7
broncos 9-7

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:20 PM
We need -

To win out.

Baltimore to lose their last game, Jets to lose one more game, Jacksonville to lose one more game.

or

Win out.

Denver to lose one more game, Jacksonville to lose one more game, and the Jets to lose one more game.

Schedules:

Denver vs Philly @ Philly next week. This HAS to be Denver's loss. I think it will be.

Jets play the Colts next week, and then Cincy. One of those two will more than likely be a loss.

Jacksonville plays the Patriots next week. The Pats win and they clinch. I think it is virtually a certainty the Jags lose next week.

The Ravens play the Raiders last week of season.

So.....

Scenario number two is LIKELY to happen. I think the Steelers will be in the playoffs...somehow.

Now we're getting somewhere. Denver loses to Phili, Jags lose to NE, Jets lose to Indy or Cincy. Yes, this is very, very possible.

FacemeIke
12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
We win out, 9-7.

Ravens lose out, 8-8.

Ravens won't lose out. Their last game is against Oakland. We will have to hope Denver loses to Philly, Jax loses to NE, the Jets lose either the Indy or Cincy game, and Houston loses to either Miami or NE. Oh, and of course we win out. That would put us and Baltimore in at 5 and 6. Baltimore is in though unless they have a collapse against Oakland. There may be other scenerios in there, but I dont want to jinx things by looking into it too deeply.

Edit: I actually think we have Houston in a tie breaker even if they win out

WH
12-20-2009, 07:22 PM

what if its:
steelers 9-7
miami 9-7
ravens 9-7
broncos 9-7

can't be. Steeler and miami play each other and both are 7-7 right now.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Plus win out...then go on a tear and get Troy back and get our Safety back...this playing with one safety thing is killing us back there.

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
can't be. Steeler and miami play each other and both are 7-7 right now.

ya i forgot miami lost their 7th today, the victory made me forget the rest of todays games :applaudit:

WH
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
ya i forgot miami lost their 7th today, the victory made me forget the rest of todays games :applaudit:

just today? i think i forgot everything i've done for the last week!:tt02::tt02:

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=45015155&15=50001040&16=15145515
according to the yahoo playoff generator the steelers and ravens get in if the scenario is this:
Pit 9-7
Bal 9-7
Hou 9-7
Den 9-7
Ten 9-7

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:29 PM

what if its:
steelers 9-7
miami 9-7
ravens 9-7
broncos 9-7

If we can beat Miami, that gives them 8 losses.

Denver could lose to Phili and beat KC, assuming we win both of ours, we're both 9-7. Denver would be 6-5 in the conference going into that KC game. We're 4-6 right now in the AFC, so we'd have to beat Baltimore and Miami and we'd have the tie breaker over Denver.

Ravens would be 9-7 losing to us, but beating Oakland. Baltimore is 7-3 now in the AFC. The worst they could do in the AFC is 7-5.

So either the Denver scenario or Ravens could very well put us in, assuming we win both of our last games.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 07:31 PM
what's that????

actual hope?

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 07:33 PM
and all 3 teams we need to lose next week are on the road versus tough opponents
jags @ the patriots
Jets @ indy
Denver @ philly

xbroughneck
12-20-2009, 07:35 PM
and all 3 teams we need to lose next week are on the road versus tough opponents
jags @ the patriots
Jets @ indy
Denver @ philly

Oh....MY....Goodness.

I apologize to the Pittsburgh gods for writing off the season already.

Next weekend is going to be HUGE!!!:tt04:

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh....MY....Goodness.

I apologize to the Pittsburgh gods for writing off the season already.

Next weekend is going to be HUGE!!!:tt04:

agreed, this should be called the perfect storm 2009 :noidea:

steelerchad
12-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Yea. The chances got a lot better today. Almost everything went our way with the exception of the Baltimore game. One other thing that could get us is a 4 way tie with Denver, Baltimore and Houston at 9-7. This would put Baltimore and Denver in. If Tennessee would make it a 5 way tie at 9-7, Baltimore and the Steelers would get in. Next week is going to be real interesting. Regardless, I'm happy to be watching a meaningful game for us next week.

However, I'm afraid if our secondary doesn't get a lot better, we're in big trouble. Please come back Troy.

JCPsteelers
12-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Actually we can still get in with Jacksonville winning out (and the Broncos coming to 9-7 and the Jets losing a game) but only if the Ravens lose out (Ravens better division record than Steelers if both 9-7)..

But I agree, next week its all about winning against the Ravens, and rooting for the Jags, Jets and Broncos to lose.. :tt02:

Its nice to be rooting for things to happen when you got Brady, Manning and McNabb on your side against Garrard, Sanchez and Orton..

The_WARDen
12-20-2009, 07:42 PM
The hilarious thing would be for Pittsburgh to get in the playoffs and actually win this stupid thing...that would permanently cement the regular season as completely irrelevant.
:popcorn:

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Yea. The chances got a lot better today. Almost everything went our way with the exception of the Baltimore game. One other thing that could get us is a 4 way tie with Denver, Baltimore and Houston at 9-7. This would put Baltimore and Denver in. If Tennessee would make it a 5 way tie at 9-7, Baltimore and the Steelers would get in. Next week is going to be real interesting. Regardless, I'm happy to be watching a meaningful game for us next week.

However, I'm afraid if our secondary doesn't get a lot better, we're in big trouble. Please come back Troy.

"One other thing that could get us is a 4 way tie with Denver, Baltimore and Houston at 9-7. "

According to the yahoo generator we'd get in with that

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Actually we can still get in with Jacksonville winning out (and the Broncos coming to 9-7 and the Jets losing a game) but only if the Ravens lose out (Ravens better division record than Steelers if both 9-7)..

But I agree, next week its all about winning against the Ravens, and rooting for the Jags, Jets and Broncos to lose.. :tt02:

Its nice to be rooting for things to happen when you got Brady, Manning and McNabb on your side against Garrard, Sanchez and Orton..

Yea, but I don't see the Ravens losing out. The better scenario I believe is with Denver.

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 07:54 PM
The hilarious thing would be for Pittsburgh to get in the playoffs and actually win this stupid thing...that would permanently cement the regular season as completely irrelevant.

Yea, but then all the "but Pittsburgh won because of the refs" sh** would start.

stb_steeler
12-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Week 14
Miami over Jax
Indy over Denver

Week 15
We beat GB
Indy over Jax
Titans over Miami
Atlanta over Jets
Chicago over Baltimore

Week 16
Houston over Miami
Ne over Jax
We beat Baltimore

Week 17
We beat Miami

Well its not like the Steelers havent been there before...::wink02:

Godfather
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Here's a handy, updated reference sheet

Dolphins 7-7 4-2 5-5 (Texans, Steelers) (W-NYJ, JAX, L-SD, TEN)
Jets 7-7 2-4 5-5 (Colts, Bengals) (W-HOU, TEN, L-MIA, JAX)

Broncos 8-6 --- 6-4 (Eagles, Chiefs) (L-BAL, PIT)

Ratbirds 8-6 3-2 6-4 (Steelers, Raiders) (W-DEN)
Steelers 7-7 1-4 4-6 (Ratbirds, Fins) (W-DEN, TEN)

Jags 7-7 3-3 6-4 (Pats, Browns) (W-HOU, NYJ, S-TEN, L-MIA)
Titans 7-7 2-4 4-7 (Chargers, Seahawks) (W-MIA, L-PIT, L-NYJ, S-JAX, HOU)
Texans 7-7 1-5 4-6 (Dolphins, Pats) (L-NYJ, JAX, S-TEN)

It's team, division record (in a logjam they sort out divisions first), conference record, remaining opponents, tiebreakers.

We have to run the table. That takes care of the Dolphins.

Jets have conference record on us so we need them to lose to Indy or Cincy but that's a good possibility.

Jags also have conference record so we need to beat them outright...we'll need the Pats to help us because you don't want to count on the Browns.

We have head to head on the Titans, who have division record on the Texans so we don't care what they do. We just have to take care of business.

We have head to head on the Broncos and so do the Ratbirds, so we just need Denver to lose once. Philly is our best bet because they close against the Chiefs.

The Ratbirds are the biggest obstacle. They have division record on us so we'd have to beat them outright. Running the table would give them their 7th loss but we'd need Oakland to hang #8 on them.

So the quickest path for us is:

- Run the table
- Colts OR Bengals beat Jets
- Pats OR Browns beat Jaguars
- Eagles OR Chiefs beat Broncos, OR Raiders beat Ratbirds

This reminds me a bit of 1989 where we needed a ton of help and got it.

Steelers
12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
On a positive note, the Steelers are only going to play good teams from here on out. So, we should be seeing the Steelers that are 5-2 against teams .500 and better. Not the Steelers that are 2-4 against teams below .500.

Preacher
12-20-2009, 09:49 PM
On a positive note, the Steelers are only going to play good teams from here on out. So, we should be seeing the Steelers that are 5-2 against teams .500 and better. Not the Steelers that are 2-4 against teams below .500.

:chuckle:

Too true.

Stick around and post more often

steelreserve
12-20-2009, 09:56 PM

- Run the table

I would be shocked if the Jets and Broncos didn't both lose at least one more game. Jaguars seem about 50-50, maybe a little better than that in our favor, actually. IF we don't lose another game, I bet this actually happens.

Preacher
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Actually,

it is really simple.

All teams with better records have to beat the teams with the not as good records,

except for Pittsburgh, who has to beat the Ravens.

So basically, from this point. NO SURPRISES!!

Go here... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=currentStandings

Set wins by winning percentage.

hten change the steelers game to win against the Ravens.

We are in... playing the Pats. Ravens play Cinci.

mwittman5
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

these standings show you the right order of how the teams stack up

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow...in the NFC, only the Giants are outside looking in as the 7th team. Everyone else is already eliminated...that's pretty interesting.

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
AFC has 6 teams fighting against the 2 wild card teams....NFC has just the one.

Steelboy84
12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's a handy, updated reference sheet

Dolphins 7-7 4-2 5-5 (Texans, Steelers) (W-NYJ, JAX, L-SD, TEN)
Jets 7-7 2-4 5-5 (Colts, Bengals) (W-HOU, TEN, L-MIA, JAX)

Broncos 8-6 --- 6-4 (Eagles, Chiefs) (L-BAL, PIT)

Ratbirds 8-6 3-2 6-4 (Steelers, Raiders) (W-DEN)
Steelers 7-7 1-4 4-6 (Ratbirds, Fins) (W-DEN, TEN)

Jags 7-7 3-3 6-4 (Pats, Browns) (W-HOU, NYJ, S-TEN, L-MIA)
Titans 7-7 2-4 4-7 (Chargers, Seahawks) (W-MIA, L-PIT, L-NYJ, S-JAX, HOU)
Texans 7-7 1-5 4-6 (Dolphins, Pats) (L-NYJ, JAX, S-TEN)

It's team, division record (in a logjam they sort out divisions first), conference record, remaining opponents, tiebreakers.

We have to run the table. That takes care of the Dolphins.

Jets have conference record on us so we need them to lose to Indy or Cincy but that's a good possibility.

Jags also have conference record so we need to beat them outright...we'll need the Pats to help us because you don't want to count on the Browns.

We have head to head on the Titans, who have division record on the Texans so we don't care what they do. We just have to take care of business.

We have head to head on the Broncos and so do the Ratbirds, so we just need Denver to lose once. Philly is our best bet because they close against the Chiefs.

The Ratbirds are the biggest obstacle. They have division record on us so we'd have to beat them outright. Running the table would give them their 7th loss but we'd need Oakland to hang #8 on them.

- Run the table

This reminds me a bit of 1989 where we needed a ton of help and got it.

Colts/Bengals both beat Jets.

Pats beat Jags.

Eagles beat Broncos.

Oh yes, I can see all of that happening. :drink: :thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
12-20-2009, 10:46 PM
never thought I'd be this excited about 7-7...seriously...if we just beat those stinking Browns...

Nadroj 20
12-20-2009, 10:51 PM
never thought I'd be this excited about 7-7...seriously...if we just beat those stinking Browns...

and chiefs, raiders, and bears lol

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 12:56 AM
We got LOTS of help this week. We still need help, but nothing crazy anymore. Just division leaders doing there jobs and us winning out will probably put us and the Ravens in as wildcards.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 12:58 AM
We got LOTS of help this week. We still need help, but nothing crazy anymore. Just division leaders doing there jobs and us winning out will probably put us and the Ravens in as wildcards.

Exactly. Here is the link that shows how that happens

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=41015155&15=50001041&16=55145515

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Man, wildcard tiebreakers give me a headache!

The way I figure it we still need a little help, but (as pepsy said) nothing too outrageous.

If we win the next 2 games,
PHI *must* beat Denver or we're pretty much screwed.
If any other 7-7 team manages to sweep, then (as I understand it) BAL will eliminate us by division, then DEN will eliminate us by conference.

Possible spoilers:
JAX must beat both NE and CLE
NYJ must beat both IND and CIN
TEN must beat both SD and SEA
HOU must beat both MIA and NE

So long as the favored teams win, we're in provided PHI beats DEN.

*Thunk* I 've got that right... anywho...
Here's my scenario with no miracles:

Next week:
We beat BAL (otherwise we may as well break out the golf clubs) Line: PIT by 2.5
PHI defeats DEN (this is critical) line: PHI by 7
NE defeats JAX, eliminating JAX (critical) Line: NE by 8
MIA HOU not critical, but we'd prefer a MIA win Line: MIA by 3
IND beats NYJ, eliminating NYJ (not critical) Line unavailable, but indy's gotta be favored, right?
SD beats TEN, eliminating TEN ( not critical) Line:TEN by 3

all lines from Sportsbook.Com

That leaves the following teams in contention for the last week:

BAL
DEN
PIT
either MIA or HOU
*NYJ if Indy somehow manages to fail to put them away
*TEN if SD fails to put them away.

BAL defeats OAK (doesn't matter)
DEN defeats KC (doesn't matter)
PIT defeats MIA. If they were in contention, we've just eliminated them.
NE defeats HOU. If they were in contention, this eliminates them. (critical)
CIN defeats NYJ If they somehow managed to get this far, NYJ is eliminated. (critical)
TEN defeats SEA (doesn't matter) If they've gotten this far, it creates a 4 way scenario.
That leaves 3 teams in contention for the 2 WC spots.
BAL
DEN
PIT

BAL eliminates PIT (division) and beats DEN (head-to-head) for #5
PIT eliminates DEN (head-to-head) for #6

In the event of a TEN sweep, it's a 4 way tie for 2 spots.
BAL eliminates PIT (division) and beats TEN (conference) and DEN (head to head) for spot #5
PIT eliminates both DEN and TEN (head-to-head) for spot #6.

This is completely doable.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Man, wildcard tiebreakers give me a headache!

The way I figure it we still need a little help, but (as pepsy said) nothing too outrageous.

If we win the next 2 games,
PHI *must* beat Denver or we're pretty much screwed.
If any other 7-7 team manages to sweep, then (as I understand it) BAL will eliminate us by division, then DEN will eliminate us by conference.

Possible spoilers:
JAX must beat both NE and CLE
NYJ must beat both IND and CIN
TEN must beat both SD and SEA
HOU must beat both MIA and NE

So long as the favored teams win, we're in provided PHI beats DEN.

*Thunk* I 've got that right... anywho...
Next week:
We beat BAL (otherwise we may as well break out the golf clubs)
PHI defeats DEN (this is critical)
NE defeats JAX, eliminating JAX (best chance)
MIA HOU not critical, but we'd prefer a MIA win
IND beats NYJ, eliminating NYJ (not critical)
SD beats TEN, eliminating TEN (best chance)

That leaves the following teams in contention for the last week:

BAL
DEN
PIT
either MIA or HOU
*NYJ if Indy somehow manages to fail to put them away

BAL defeats OAK (doesn't matter)
DEN defeats KC (doesn't matter)
PIT defeats MIA. If they were in contention, we've just eliminated them.
NE defeats HOU. If they were in contention, this eliminates them. (critical)
CIN defeats NYJ If they somehow managed to get this far, NYJ is eliminated. (critical)

That leaves 3 teams in contention for the 2 WC spots.
BAL
DEN
PIT

BAL eliminates PIT (division) and beats DEN (head-to-head) for #5
PIT eliminates DEN (head-to-head) for #6

This is completely doable.

Titans beating SD would be a better option. We may need them in the mix.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Titans beating SD would be a better option. We may need them in the mix.
How so? Unless I'm mistaken, if TEN gets past SD, they probably beat SEA as well.
that sets up a 3 way tie for #6.
If that happens, we lose #6 to DEN by conference, don't we?

fansince'76
12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
How so? Unless I'm mistaken, if TEN gets past SD, they probably beat SEA as well.
that sets up a 3 way tie for #6.
If that happens, we lose #6 to DEN by conference, don't we?

We have the advantage over Denver due to head-to-head, I believe.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh, wait! That'd set up a head to head sweep, wouldn't it? :doh:
Only because the 3 way tie involves 2 teams we've beaten.
I'll go back and modify it...

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 12:05 PM
If there is a 3 way with the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos the Broncos are the odd man out....They've been swept by the Steelers and Ravens. We DON'T want the Titans in the mix if we can help it...although we've beaten them the more teams tied at 9-7 the less chance of us winning tiebreaks. Root for the Chargers on Christmas and the division leaders to win their remaining games.

Preacher has a link on his earlier post on this thread that shows potential play off rundowns...check it out.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:11 PM
The key factor is that if the Titans are in the mix with Houston - we'll never have to face a tiebreaker vs HOU. Titans will knock the Texans out of the mix and we'll only have to beat the Titans (which we will head-to-head).

Only 1 team from each division goes into the long list of tiebreakers - division tiebreakers are applied first. If the Titans are not there, we'd lose the tiebreaker (Conf. record) to the Texans.

Baltimore eliminates us before any other tiebreakers are applied. We want them to snag the #5 so when they look at #6, we are the AFC North representative for the tiebreakers.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 12:20 PM
The key factor is that if the Titans are in the mix with Houston - we'll never have to face a tiebreaker vs HOU. Titans will knock the Texans out of the mix and we'll only have to beat the Titans (which we will head-to-head).

Only 1 team from each division goes into the long list of tiebreakers - division tiebreakers are applied first. If the Titans are not there, we'd lose the tiebreaker (Conf. record) to the Texans.

Baltimore eliminates us before any other tiebreakers are applied. We want them to snag the #5 so when they look at #6, we are the AFC North representative for the tiebreakers.

Man, that's confusing :confused:
So if HOU runs the table against both NE and MIA (no small feat in itself), then they would get us eliminated against DEN (conf)... unless TEN wins out too, in which case they defeat HOU by division and leaves us in a 3-way with DEN and TEN, which we win due to the sweep.

So having TEN in there may help us, and can't hurt us.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Man, that's confusing :confused:
So if HOU runs the table against both NE and MIA (no small feat in itself), then they would get us eliminated against DEN (conf)... unless TEN wins out too, in which case they defeat HOU by division and leaves us in a 3-way with DEN and TEN, which we win due to the sweep.

Bingo.

That's why Baltimore is sitting pretty. Their better division record than us means that they keep us out of the mix and they advance to the tiebreaker. If they lost out for the #5, they'd get a second shot at the tiebreaker with the #5 winner removed.

With HOU and TEN both at 9-7, Houston has zero chance until Tennessee leaves with a Wild Card spot - regardless of how they might match up vs the other contenders.

We're just fortunate that the likely 9-7 teams that have the best division records (DEN, MIA, TEN) are teams that we have (or will have beat head-to-head).

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 12:32 PM
That's why Baltimore is sitting pretty. Their better division record than us means that they keep us out of the mix and they advance to the tiebreaker. If they lost out for the #5, they'd get a second shot at the tiebreaker with the #5 winner removed.
Yeah, I got that much. That's why DEN/ PHI is so critical to this scenario. We don't want DEN in the #5 seed or we're screwed.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 12:36 PM

No...that's wrong. How can only 1 team from each division go into the list if there are multiple teams from that division with the same record? With 3 teams they start with head to head and work their way down to find the first team in. After that they start the same process over again with the remaining teams. Raven, Us and Broncos tied at 9-7 puts the Broncos on the golf course. Check this link to it (thanks again to Preacher)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=41015155&15=50001041&16=55145515

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Pepsy,
As I understand the rules, he's correct.

For 3-way or more tie for wildcard slot
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

For 2-way tie for wildcard slot:
1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Ravens, us, and Broncos tied puts *us* on the golf course first. In fact, Ravens, us, and anybody else puts us on the golf course. That's why we want them in #5 slot.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, we need both wild cards in the mix for 9-7 teams or Baltimore will snag the last one before us (or we'd need BAL at 8-8). That means getting DEN to 9-7 and into the tiebreakers.

Since JAX will beat us in the tiebreaker, we need them at 8-8.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
No...that's wrong. How can only 1 team from each division go into the list if there are multiple teams from that division with the same record? With 3 teams they start with head to head and work their way down to find the first team in. After that they start the same process over again with the remaining teams. Raven, Us and Broncos tied at 9-7 puts the Broncos on the golf course. Check this link to it (thanks again to Preacher)

In that scenario, BAL eliminated us, won the tiebreaker vs. DEN and got the #5 spot.

THEN - we entered a tiebreaker vs DEN and won the tiebreaker and got #6.

You'll never have more than 4 teams in the Conference tiebreakers - 1 from each division.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Since JAX will beat us in the tiebreaker, we need them at 8-8.
Not implausible, considering they face NE this week.
I don't think it's possible for TEN to eliminate them, so we definitely need NE to beat them.

It's not so much that JAX beats us, as that their presence changes the tiebreaker from a sweep to a conference record.
We beat DEN in head to head, but lose in conference.

So if we're in a 4-way tie with DEN and, HOU, and TEN, we win (Hth comes first)
but if we're in a 3-or-more-way tie with anyone else (possibly NYJ or JAX, or HOU without TEN)
we lose to DEN at least, due to conference record.

The spoilers each have to pull out an upset for this to occur. NYJ would need 2.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
If you want to see it visually check this out and just change it so TEN beats SD in Week 16. The way it is, DEN gets the #6 (HOU/DEN/PIT favors DEN). After you change the TEN/SD game, Pittsburgh gets the #6 (DEN/TEN/PIT - Pitt gets the head-to-head).

Houston is still 9-7, but it isn't relevant because of the Titans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=41015155&15=50001041&16=15145515

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Pepsy,
As I understand the rules, he's correct.

For 3-way or more tie for wildcard slot

For 2-way tie for wildcard slot:

Ravens, us, and Broncos tied puts *us* on the golf course first. In fact, Ravens, us, and anybody else puts us on the golf course. That's why we want them in #5 slot.

If you follow the logic you have there....The Ravens get the first spot (based on head to head with the Broncos) and then they start over with the remaining teams...(again we win based on head to head)....Head to head is the first tiebreaker and it applies because the teams have all played each other. Again, check out the link that Preacher post and I copied. 3 way tie with Denver and Baltimore puts us in

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 01:22 PM
If you follow the logic you have there....The Ravens get the first spot (based on head to head with the Broncos) and then they start over with the remaining teams...(again we win based on head to head)....Head to head is the first tiebreaker and it applies because the teams have all played each other. Again, check out the link that Preacher post and I copied. 3 way tie with Denver and Baltimore puts us in

See above.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
CPanther
I just went to your link which showed Denver getting in with the Ravens...BUT that was with Houston going 9-7 also. If you change one of Houston's remaining games to a loss the system inserts the Steelers into the playoff grid. 3 way tie with us, ravens and broncos and it says we are in.

Houston still has to play Miami and NE

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Not quite according to the info I've linked above from NFL.
#1 order of business, above all else in a 3 or more way tie for a wildcard slot is to eliminate all but 1 representative from each division. That eliminates us.

The source I've quoted is from NFL.Com. That's gotta be the straight dope, doesn't it?

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 01:36 PM
I just went to your link which showed Denver getting in with the Ravens...BUT that was with Houston going 9-7 also. If you change one of Houston's remaining games to a loss the system inserts the Steelers into the playoff grid. 3 way tie with us, ravens and broncos and it says we are in.
As expected, because the 3 way tie is for 2 seeds.
BAL takes #5 and we take #6.
Now try setting JAX at 9-7 and see what happens.
Then fix that and set NYJ at 9-7.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Not quite according to the info I've linked above from NFL.
#1 order of business, above all else in a 3 or more way tie for a wildcard slot is to eliminate all but 1 representative from each division. That eliminates us.

The source I've quoted is from NFL.Com. That's gotta be the straight dope, doesn't it?

That elimination is only to determine the first Wild Card berth...then the tiebreaks start over. Based on what you are assuming...2 teams in the same division with the same record can't both be wild card teams...and that's not true because we've seen that happen before.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 01:40 PM
CPanther

Houston still has to play Miami and NE

You're missing the point. The point is that the Titans winning out knocks out the Texans even though the Texans would beat us in a tiebreaker. That shows the importance of the division records being applied first and eliminating all but the top team from each division before each tiebreaking round.

That's why we should be pulling for the Titans to win out. They can only help us.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
As expected, because the 3 way tie is for 2 seeds.
BAL takes #5 and we take #6.
Now try setting JAX at 9-7 and see what happens.
Then fix that and set NYJ at 9-7.

I don't want to put Jacksonville at 9-7...they play NE this week. I'm looking for the division leaders to just win their games and us win out. If THAT happens there will be a 3 way tie with the ravens broncos and steelers...that puts us in.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Once BAL is in at #5, it's immaterial for #6. It is eliminated from influence on #6 because it's got #5.
When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 01:45 PM
You're missing the point. The point is that the Titans winning out knocks out the Texans even though the Texans would beat us in a tiebreaker. That shows the importance of the division records being applied first and eliminating all but the top team from each division before each tiebreaking round.

That's why we should be pulling for the Titans to win out. They can only help us.

But in your scenario with 4 teams tied at 9-7 including the Texans, that DOESN'T put us in the playoffs...it puts Denver in the playoffs. (that's the link you've got posted) I think we are saying the same thing...You're lookiing for the Titans to win out because if there is a 4 way including the Titans...we still get in. I'm just looking for the 3 way tie I stated with everyone else picking up their 8th loss

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 01:46 PM
That elimination is only to determine the first Wild Card berth...then the tiebreaks start over. Based on what you are assuming...2 teams in the same division with the same record can't both be wild card teams...and that's not true because we've seen that happen before.

The tiebreaks start over, but they still eliminate all but one team from each division. If BAL eliminates us and earns the #5 - then they won't be there to eliminate us for the #6. If we get in, then you get two wild cards from the same division.

But if PIT and BAL end up at 9-7 with other teams, we can never earn a spot unless BAL first earns a spot. Same thing with HOU/TEN or NYJ/MIA.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't want to put Jacksonville at 9-7...they play NE this week. I'm looking for the division leaders to just win their games and us win out. If THAT happens there will be a 3 way tie with the ravens broncos and steelers...that puts us in.

The reason I'm saying try that is in order to show you what happens when we are in a 3 way tie for a single slot rather than 2 slots.
We are considered to be in a 3 way tie for the #5 seed. BAL wins that one because we are divisionally eliminated and DEN loses HTH.
BAL (having already secured it's #5 berth is *not considered* for #6 at that point, which puts us HTH with DEN, which we then win.
See?

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

Once BAL is in at #5, it's immaterial for #6. It is eliminated from influence on #6 because it's got #5.

LOL Then you've lost me Slash....lol All I'm looking for right now is a fairly do able 3 way tie with denver and baltimore....The big thing is obviously us winning out, but the other help we need to make that happen is simply favored teams winning their games

What you just said makes plenty of sense, but you just stated what I said I wanted to see happen 8 posts back....so you confused me. I understand how the divisional tiebreaks work...that's exaclty what I'm banking on in the 3 way tie I'm looking for

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 01:51 PM
LOL Then you've lost me Slash....lol All I'm looking for right now is a fairly do able 3 way tie with denver and baltimore....The big thing is obviously us winning out, but the other help we need to make that happen is simply favored teams winning their games

So you aren't saying this any longer? Because this is what we were addressing.

If there is a 3 way with the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos the Broncos are the odd man out....They've been swept by the Steelers and Ravens. We DON'T want the Titans in the mix if we can help it...although we've beaten them the more teams tied at 9-7 the less chance of us winning tiebreaks. Root for the Chargers on Christmas and the division leaders to win their remaining games.

Preacher has a link on his earlier post on this thread that shows potential play off rundowns...check it out.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Long-short...
*If* we win out the next 2 games, and *if* PHI beats DEN (as expected), then we are in so long as nothing unexpected happens. In fact, there are a few upsets that can occur and we will still get #6 anyway.
The next two weeks would have to be a freakshow to eliminate us... provided we do our job and PHI beats DEN.

pepsyman1
12-21-2009, 01:55 PM
So you aren't saying this any longer? Because this is what we were addressing.

CPanther95....I'll take back what I said about the Titans...because it makes no difference if they are in the mix too. My ONLY real point is that a 3 way tie with the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos at 9-7 put us in the playoffs and Denver out. IF other teams BEYOND that finish 9-7 as well (other than the Titans)...then we are screwed.

Oh wait...I've just played with the scenarios and I THINK I understand what you are getting at...if the Titans win out and Houston gets 9-7 as well we would get in because of the Titans. I'm not looking for Houston to make it to 9-7 though. i think I get what you were saying....I wasn't looking that deep into it.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 02:01 PM

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
CPanther95....I'll take back what I said about the Titans...because it makes no difference if they are in the mix too. My ONLY real point is that a 3 way tie with the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos at 9-7 put us in the playoffs and Denver out. IF other teams BEYOND that finish 9-7 as well (other than the Titans)...then we are screwed.
Actually, he's right there as well by my read. Their presence can help us in at least the one case where HOU goes 9-7.

PIT
BAL
DEN
HOU
TEN

BAL gets #5 and we get #6.

But without TEN, we lose this scenario, and it's BAL/ DEN.

Steel_12
12-21-2009, 02:30 PM
lol I feel like I'm in Trigonometry class

Dino 6 Rings
12-21-2009, 02:36 PM
holy crap people...who am I supposed to root for this weekend besides the Steelers?

StainlessStill
12-21-2009, 02:49 PM
holy crap people...who am I supposed to root for this weekend besides the Steelers?

haha, in a nutshell:

New England
Miami
Indianapolis
Tennessee
Philadelphia

43Hitman
12-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Tennessee on Friday is the first one to root for.

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Philly. Root for Philly.
That is the single most critical game.
After that (in order of importance)
Root for New England
Root for Indy
Root for Miami
Root for Tennessee

GoSlash27
12-21-2009, 03:12 PM
I'll make it even simpler for you:
Root for whichever teams are favored to win.

CPanther95
12-21-2009, 04:48 PM
First, root for the Giants tonight.

Gotta shut up the Cowboys fans who are already talking "Dynasty".

Preacher
12-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I'll make it even simpler for you:
Root for whichever teams are favored to win.

Exactly.

What we need... is simple. NO UPSETS.

WH
12-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Gotta shut up the Cowboys fans who are already talking "Dynasty".
link?

Bubby_Brister82
12-21-2009, 08:56 PM
So, is a playoff trip still a possibility, even if the Bears didn't beat the Ravens?

If the Steelers beat Baltimore, won't that help? They'd have the same record, and Oakland might be able to handle them in week 17.

Dunno, but seems plausible.

JoeCool5
12-21-2009, 10:37 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that even if Pitt beats the Ravens, they'll still need a Baltimore loss in Oakland to make the playoffs. No?

Nadroj 20
12-21-2009, 10:43 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that even if Pitt beats the Ravens, they'll still need a Baltimore loss in Oakland to make the playoffs. No?

Not really the biggest thing we need is denver losing to the eagles this week and of course us winning.

So if the Steelers beat the Ravens and the Broncos lose and pending there are no upsets meaning all the favorite teams win this week....then we wont need the ravens to lose to the raiders we'll simply need a W against miami and were in.

The ravens would take the 5 seed, steelers 6 and denver would be on the outside looking in.

So next to cheering for the Steelers WE ARE ALL HUGE EAGLES FANS :chuckle:

Stang909
12-21-2009, 10:45 PM

Unless Denver loses, then we have the same record and go in over them and Steelers and Ravens are in.

Dang it nadroj beat me to it.

Preacher
12-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Ravens Oakland has nothing to do with us.

Basically, there simply cannot be any upsets except for Houston. Houston winning doesn't bother us.

We have to beat the Ravens and the Dolphins.

We are in then.

Nadroj 20
12-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Unless Denver loses, then we have the same record and go in over them and Steelers and Ravens are in.

Dang it nadroj beat me to it.

lol sorry man, but your right :thumbsup:

Itll be an interesting weekend, cant wait

steelpride12
12-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Wouldn't a whole load of people on these forums crap the bed and dissapear if our Steelers sneak into the playoffs!

CPanther95
12-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Ravens Oakland has nothing to do with us.

Basically, there simply cannot be any upsets except for Houston. Houston winning doesn't bother us.

I think you mean Tennessee winning doesn't hurt us. We don't want Houston at 9-7 (unless TEN is also).

StainlessStill
12-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I have a strange, STRANGE feeling that we are going to be playing for a spot against Miami.

I have the feeling that it's going to be a 3 way tie between Baltimore, Denver, and Pittsburgh at 9-7. If this indeed happens, then The Ravens knock out both the Steelers and Broncos, and claim the 5th. That leaves Pittsburgh/Denver and we win the tiebreaker since we beat them head to head to claim #6.

Watch it, it could very well happen.:tt04:

markymarc
12-22-2009, 01:11 PM
I have a headache now trying to understand the playoff picture :chuckle: Just beat the damn Ravens and Dolphins!

Bobino
12-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, please give me a link or tell me if I'm right ?

It's 5:01 pm right now and the Eagles are beating the Broncos by a TD, and the Colts are winning by against the Jets.

IF the Broncos and the Jets lose today, and we win next week, we're in the playoffs ? right ?

stillers4me
Your guess is as good as mine. :chuckle:

CargoJon
We need New England to beat Houston.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 04:06 PM
or the raiders and chiefs to win next week against the Ravens and Broncos respectively

Nadroj 20
12-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Ok, please give me a link or tell me if I'm right ?

It's 5:01 pm right now and the Eagles are beating the Broncos by a TD, and the Colts are winning by against the Jets.

IF the Broncos and the Jets lose today, and we win next week, we're in the playoffs ? right ?

yea we need a texan loss, if denver loses they arent a problem for us anymore (if we win of course) that leaves the ravens and the texans and if either of those teams lose next week after a win by us....we get in

With the ravens playing oakland and the texans playing the pats...the most logical choice of course would be the texans losing.

Glace
12-27-2009, 04:07 PM

My prediction?

New England rests EVERYBODY and gives the Texans the win

Then, all of SteelersNation focuses on how much we hate the Patriots rather than our poor season.

Nadroj 20
12-27-2009, 04:07 PM
or the raiders and chiefs to win next week against the Ravens and Broncos respectively

wed only need the broncos to lose next week if they should win today.

CPanther95
12-27-2009, 04:09 PM
We win and NE has to beat Houston. (I hope Miami lays down for us like they did for Houston)

Thank God Cincy didn't blow it this week, or NE would have nothing to play for next week.

Even so, NE will still only be playing for the #3 seed instead of the #4. Belichick may sacrifice 1 seed in order to play Baltimore instead of the Steelers. If he does, we're screwed.

Bobino
12-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Ok, thanks, so there was and error on the post-gazette web site when they said the Steelers would win tiebreakers over both Tenessee and Houston: "We have to assume the Steelers finish the season 9-7 or there would be no reason to do this. That would eliminate Miami and reduce Baltimore to 9-7 at best. The Jets must play both the Colts and Bengals; New York is likely to lose one and miss out. Jacksonville has to finish at New England and at Cleveland and the Jaguars also are likely to lose at least one and be done.

That would leave Tennessee, Houston, Baltimore and Denver. The Steelers would win tiebreakers over both Tennessee and Houston."http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022748-66.stm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022748-66.stm#ixzz0avhQyYN6

CPanther95
12-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Ok, thanks, so there was and error on the post-gazette web site when they said the Steelers would win tiebreakers over both Tenessee and Houston: "We have to assume the Steelers finish the season 9-7 or there would be no reason to do this. That would eliminate Miami and reduce Baltimore to 9-7 at best. The Jets must play both the Colts and Bengals; New York is likely to lose one and miss out. Jacksonville has to finish at New England and at Cleveland and the Jaguars also are likely to lose at least one and be done.

That would leave Tennessee, Houston, Baltimore and Denver. The Steelers would win tiebreakers over both Tennessee and Houston."http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022748-66.stm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09356/1022748-66.stm#ixzz0avhQyYN6

Poorly worded.

We would win a tiebreaker against both Houston and Tennessee - but not against only Houston.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
We win and NE has to beat Houston. (I hope Miami lays down for us like they did for Houston)

Thank God Cincy didn't blow it this week, or NE would have nothing to play for next week.

Even so, NE will still only be playing for the #3 seed instead of the #4. Belichick may sacrifice 1 seed in order to play Baltimore instead of the Steelers. If he does, we're screwed.

Seriously...Bellicheck would never decide to play the Ravens over the Steelers. That makes no sense. He's much rather have to play the Steelers, a team that apparently isn't very good at running the ball and who's free safety may not be ready to play over a team with the Running Attack like the Ravens and their Safety most likely playing.

Anyone who thinks the Pats would tank a game just to avoid the Steelers does not understand our Nemesis at all. They would never "avoid" us and in fact, would probably rather play us than another other team besides the Chargers at this point. They also seem to beat the Chargers everytime in the playoffs.

The team they do not want is the Broncos. Historically, the Broncos beat the Patriots in the playoffs.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Jets not quitting today and the Broncos making it a game as well...ugh...

CPanther95
12-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Seriously...Bellicheck would never decide to play the Ravens over the Steelers. That makes no sense. He's much rather have to play the Steelers, a team that apparently isn't very good at running the ball and who's free safety may not be ready to play over a team with the Running Attack like the Ravens and their Safety most likely playing.

Anyone who thinks the Pats would tank a game just to avoid the Steelers does not understand our Nemesis at all. They would never "avoid" us and in fact, would probably rather play us than another other team besides the Chargers at this point. They also seem to beat the Chargers everytime in the playoffs.

The team they do not want is the Broncos. Historically, the Broncos beat the Patriots in the playoffs.

Logically, I believe the same, but my anxiety forces me to consider the worse case scenario.

I'll relax when the final scores are in.

Glace
12-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Anyone who thinks the Pats would tank a game just to avoid the Steelers does not understand our Nemesis at all.

Does anybody understand Belicheat anymore? The dude single-handedly lost a game by going for it on 4th and 2 on his own 28 when the Pats were ahead.

That guy is as unpredictable as rednecks with beer and fireworks.

LamarrWoodleysFade
12-27-2009, 04:28 PM
So confusing :lol

I've prepared myself for if we do or don't make the playoffs so...

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Belichick will play to win next week. Just my guess.

steelpride12
12-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Sighh...what!? Im just hoping the Eagles and Colts win. So all we would need is for us to beat Miami and Cheaters to beat the Texans.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Does anybody understand Belicheat anymore? The dude single-handedly lost a game by going for it on 4th and 2 on his own 28 when the Pats were ahead.

That guy is as unpredictable as rednecks with beer and fireworks.

actually, rednecks with beer and fireworks are very predictable...shiiit is going to get blowed the ef up so just be far away when they start saying "hey ya'll, check this out" Trust me...been there seen that...saw the hole in the ground afterwards...

Bellicheck might sit players, but the backups will be playing for their job and playing to win, and that defense, they can't rest anyone, they are so young already they need the experience. So if Brady doesn't finish out the game, and Moss does "rest" I seriously doubt they'll play to lose the game.

So hope for a snow squall in NE next week and a Houston Choke job.

Nadroj 20
12-27-2009, 04:34 PM
actually, rednecks with beer and fireworks are very predictable...shiiit is going to get blowed the ef up so just be far away when they start saying "hey ya'll, check this out" Trust me...been there seen that...saw the hole in the ground afterwards...

Bellicheck might sit players, but the backups will be playing for their job and playing to win, and that defense, they can't rest anyone, they are so young already they need the experience. So if Brady doesn't finish out the game, and Moss does "rest" I seriously doubt they'll play to lose the game.

So hope for a snow squall in NE next week and a Houston Choke job.

Snow in new england wouldnt matter since the games in Houston :chuckle:

steelerchad
12-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Yea. Just looked at the tiebreakers and unfortunately Houston losing to NE is a must now. Even if the Ravens chokes to Oakland, it puts Denver and Houston in. Unless Denver loses today and next week to the Chiefs. Us winning and Houston losing is the key for our playoff spot.

redst3
12-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Dang man, after that last Bud I cant seem to find my firecrackers....

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Snow in new england wouldnt matter since the games in Houston :chuckle:

LMAO at myself! Didn't realize that...stupid me...:sofunny:

redst3
12-27-2009, 05:00 PM
So what happens if the J E T S Jets win the game. What does that do to the scenario???

CPanther95
12-27-2009, 05:01 PM
So what happens if the J E T S Jets win the game. What does that do to the scenario???

As long as Cincy beats them next week, no harm, no foul.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
Two Clubs
Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss.
Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in conference games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss
When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Indo
12-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Absolutely nothing----Steelers must beat dolphins and Pats* must beat Texans next week provided that the Birds beat the Donkeys this week

Check it out

Preacher
12-27-2009, 05:04 PM

As long as Cincy beats them next week, no harm, no foul.

I prefer to not trust Cincy for ANYTHING! :wink02:

Indo
12-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Actually, according to the yahoo generator, even if the Pats* TIE the Texans, we get in
provided that the Jets lose one game

redst3
12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks Bros and Sisters for the 411. Looks like Denver is laying an egg!

As JK Simmons said in "Burn After Reading," "What a Clusterf***!"

CPanther95
Absolutely nothing----Steelers must beat dolphins and Pats* must beat Texans next week provided that the Birds beat the Donkeys this week

Check it out

Jets win out and they're in. We'd need OAK to beat BAL to get the #6 spot.

Dino 6 Rings
I have no idea what that all means for us...but there it is.

Preacher
Stupid Miami Dolphins.

We could have had control of OUR DESTINY THIS WEEK had they won that game....

of course, that is assuming both of these games keep going our way.

redst3
12-27-2009, 05:07 PM
I prefer to not trust Cincy for ANYTHING! :wink02:

Oh Yeah man, they are one of the teams that seems to be choking...

CPanther95
12-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Actually, according to the yahoo generator, even if the Pats* TIE the Texans, we get in

True, but if all Week 17 games end in a tie, we're out.

Nadroj 20
12-27-2009, 05:10 PM
LMAO at myself! Didn't realize that...stupid me...:sofunny:

Lol we can still hope for snow in houston :sofunny:

It just sucks NE isnt the best on the road.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 05:15 PM
if its meant to be, it'll work out...we need to be 9-7. If we get lucky enough to make it, great, if not, well then we waste one of the best offensive passing outputs in our team's history...imagine...those stats and no playoff game...hmmmmmmmm

Bluedust
12-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Colts put in their backup QB, not playing to go perfect. Hopefully he's good.

Busforever
12-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Stupid Miami Dolphins.

We could have had control of OUR DESTINY THIS WEEK had they won that game....

We had control of our destiny vs Chiefs, Raiders and Browns. If we had won one of those games (and we should have won all three!), it would be a complete different story.

Now, we just can hope for a true american story of a "never-give-up" team pushing until the last minute, and finaly winning another title when no one believed they could be in the playoffs. Great, isn't it?:tt02:

CPanther95
12-27-2009, 05:29 PM
All things considered, we had a great week. Even if every team we needed was favored, rarely do all favorites win each week.

theplatypus
12-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Crap! I leave the house for 10 minutes and the jets score 11 points.

Venom
12-27-2009, 06:03 PM
We need the Pats to beat the Texans in Houston . Thats the game to watch. But don't forget , we still have to beat the Dolphins .

steelerchad
12-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Crap! I leave the house for 10 minutes and the jets score 11 points.

Exactly. And the Broncos scored 14.
Looks like we'll need a win and multiple things to help next week. I hope the G.D. Colts gets smoked again in the 1st round because they come out flat again by resting starters. Pus****.

redst3
12-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Stupid Colts! Stupid Jets! Stupid Texans! Stupid Broncos!

Man, it really sucks that we lost all those games. Even the Bears game would have changed everything....

cubanstogie
12-27-2009, 06:17 PM
there are a lot of things to be pissed about today. I can't stop yelling at the tv, and I despise Colts, Miami, and about to hate Philly if they blow this. But what pisses me off the most is the Jamarcus Russel didn't play against us.

Mags87
12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
and broncos tie... :banging::banging::banging:

jjpro11
12-27-2009, 06:27 PM
unbelievable how everything went so bad after the game.. Colts sit Manning and Eagles blow a 17 pt lead.

SteelersHoss
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
they said something about the Jets making the playoffs if they win next week, so confused

WH
12-27-2009, 06:29 PM
If the Steelers don't get in....I'm a Philly fan. Mcnabb and Westbrook deserve to be champions

casteeler
12-27-2009, 06:33 PM
i wanna see the colts get beat by 30 points in their first playoff game.

Pentheon
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
they said something about the Jets making the playoffs if they win next week, so confused

The jets are in control of their own destiny now...Meaning if they beat the Bengals next week they are in. We need the Bengals to win. They may be playing their starters for a shot at the 3rd seed if NE loses of course.

still got a shot but right now we need the eagles to lose which is making me nervous.:doh:

SH-Rock
12-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Eagles finish em off

cubanstogie
12-27-2009, 06:45 PM
come on green akers

SH-Rock
12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
EAGLES WINN!!!!!!

Pentheon
12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Thank you eagles!!!!

redst3
12-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok, so now.....whats the scoop???

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Denver 8-7 vs Kansas City
Balitmore 8-7 at Oakland
Houston 8-7 vs New Enlgand
NY Jets 8-7 vs Cincinnati
Steelers 8-7 at Miami

So we need 3 of those teams to lose next week and we must win.

StainlessStill
12-27-2009, 06:55 PM
All we need is to beat Miami, and hope for N.E and Bungles win.

If Cincy and N.E wins, and we beat the Phins, then we're in.

So, we are Bengals and Patriots fans.

LukesDad88
Denver 9-7 vs Kansas City
Balitmore 9-7 at Oakland
Houston 9-7 vs New Enlgand
NY Jets 9-7 vs Cincinnati
Steelers 9-7 at Miami

Or just 2 if it's the Jets and Houston.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but GO Bengals and Pats!

WindyCitySteelerFan
I'm pretty sure it comes down to this...

If Baltimore beats Oakland, they get #5 seed,
If we beat Miami, and Jets lose to Cincy, we get #6 since our conf record is better than Houston.
We have tie breakers with everyone else

steelerchad
12-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Denver 9-7 vs Kansas City
Balitmore 9-7 at Oakland
Houston 9-7 vs New Enlgand
NY Jets 9-7 vs Cincinnati
Steelers 9-7 at Miami

Not correct.

We need a win + a Texans loss and a Jets or Ravens loss. So 2 teams must lose and one of them has to be the Texans.
If the Texans win it would take a miracle but still possible. In that case, we would need a win + a Broncos, Jets, and Ravens loss.

Nadroj 20
12-27-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it comes down to this...

If Baltimore beats Oakland, they get #5 seed,
If we beat Miami, and Jets lose to Cincy, we get #6 since our conf record is better than Houston.
We have tie breakers with everyone else

We need houston to lose....other then that the rest is correct.

pepsyman1
All we need is to beat Miami, and hope for N.E and Bungles win.

If Cincy and N.E wins, and we beat the Phins, then we're in.

So, we are Bengals and Patriots fans.

Yep...we need losses to Houston and NY...if three of those teams lose great, but if we have those particular two losses and we win, we are in.

DaronQB
we need texas and jets to lose of course steelers must win then we are IN

Dino 6 Rings
actually I think we just need the Bengals and Patriots to win next week, and we have to win. But if the Ravens, Steelers and Broncos all end up tied at 9-7...then the Steelers and Ravens go to the playoffs because they both beat Denver head to head...so really, Go Bengals and Go Patriots...and of coarse, GO STEELERS!!!