PDA

View Full Version : Carter's problem: he's just not Troy?

Acerinox
12-14-2009, 06:29 AM
Hello. My name's Acerinox and I have a problem. I can't stop self-harming, by watching the Steelers' every play, every week, even though I know exactly what's going to happen. I can't do this alone any more. So - here I am - long time lurker, first post.

I thought I wouldn't start off my posting here with an "Arians suxxx00rz" post. They will come later! :wink02:

I've noticed a lot of folks here seem to be very down on Carter, saying he's not a playmaker, he's too lightweight, misses assignments, or getting old.
But I *like* him - as a backup FREE SAFETY. When he's come in for Ryan Clark this season I think he's done great - a few interceptions, being disruptive, making the backfield hard to penetrate.
But filling in for Troy - not his strong point (pun intended).
We see Carter's dreds flying about and bouncing off players at the LOS, or arriving 5 yards too late as the runner gets to the second level and think "Damn this guy sucks".
Is one of the big problems with our secondary - the fact we've been playing with two Free Safeties - and no Strong Safety?

truesteelerfan
12-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Its totally unfair to rip on Carter for not being 100% able to replace Troy. Troy is the BEST safety in the game! If Carter, or anybody else for that matter was capable of backing up Troy to an equal level, they would be a starter on another team, and the 2nd best safety in the game. I know it's Tomlin's philosophy that when a man goes down, his backup is held to the same level of expectation, but with that senario, who would you rather be a backup for....Troy or Colon?

steelreserve
12-14-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree he's been a much better backup at FS than he has for Troy. Heck, we haven't even missed a beat for the last two years in any game where Carter has had to replace Clark.

But as a backup for Troy, he sucks. Then again, most backups would look pretty bad by comparison. I sure hope Mundy shows some progress, or we draft another safety sometimes soon, because besides being limited, Carter is also getting pretty old.

casteeler
12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
i think carter is playing good he is no troy but the problem is the whole secondary.

Angus Burgher
12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't know... I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but his play in the Oakland game led me to believe they should cut him altogether. I think it was the second TD Gradkowski threw, it looked like Carter didn't even move as the receiver standing right next to him caught it.

markymarc
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
While I do agree that TC has played pretty well when filling in for Ryan Clark, I think it's time to end this experiment. TC is a backup at best and it's time to find a younger and more capable FS and SS backup!

steelpride12
12-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Thats exactly what Carter is, a back up SS! Why does everyone expect him to play like Troy and pretty much be Troy. He is a back up for a reason and in that role he fits in just right and gets the job done.

AllD
12-14-2009, 04:19 PM
TC is signing autographs tomorrow. You might have to wait almost 3 or 4 minutes to get one. Watch out for flying garbage.

Preacher
12-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Thats exactly what Carter is, a back up SS! Why does everyone expect him to play like Troy and pretty much be Troy. He is a back up for a reason and in that role he fits in just right and gets the job done.

EXACTLY.

Tyrone Carter is a career Backup FS that has had to step up and be a starting strong safety for us...

Someone please name for me ONE backup safety that could play better than Tyrone Carter in OUR system. I don't think there is one.

That isn't to say he is the best backup out there. Its just that he plays well enough in OUR SYSTEM.

To say "Troy would have got that" is very unfair. Its the same as saying, "Why couldn't Ward catch that, Jerry Rice would have."

stillers4me
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Carter did very well as Ryan's back up during the Denver game.

Preacher
12-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Carter did very well as Ryan's back up during the Denver game.

Not to mention he was actually the best DB playing football in a Steeler uniform last Thursday.

steel9guy
12-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Carter is still above average. He's made some great plays but not what troy could. and I agree he's a good backup for Free Safety for Clark.