PDA

View Full Version : Here's why we should appreciate Tommy "Gun" Maddox

cjmace
01-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Alright, everyone jump on, first steeler post here, and Im watching these videos, showing the doom of Maddox, and all his TOs, and yes he player really really really bad this season. But hold on one second.........In 2002-2004 he through for 6200yds, and almost 40 TDs. Ok not great, but think about what he did for the QB position for those two years. Steelers did not have another starter on the team, nobody, st pierre, or batch at the time were not starters. So he is doing pretty well those years, making less than a special teamer. What would have happened if he left at the end of the 2003 season, or even 2004?????? Kordell??? No, We would have had to draft or trade for a starting QB. Now think about how often that happens......as far as Im concerned, its not that often. Heres my point, before everyone piles on and throws a brick through my front window. WE WOULD NEVER HAVE BIG BEN ON OUR ROSTER IF IT WERENT FOR MADDOX STICKING AROUND INSTEAD OF CHASING THE MONEY AFTER A GREAT YEAR. He did well for the few years we really needed him, he has to have help #7 in some capacity, and I that is why we should appreciate the Comeback Player of the Year, and not worry about the games hes played lately. GO STILLERS

Koopa
01-28-2006, 12:43 AM
also another good thing about that waste of life is him losing us to games, he forced to play are best down the stretch instead of taking it easy going into the playoffs

pitt
01-28-2006, 12:55 AM
I still like Tommy. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Everybody on this board almost was on the Tommy bandwagon heading into this year when we knew we needed a viable backup who played recently and batch hadnt taken a meaningful snap in 3 years...but after watching him completely self destruct this season for us and watching what batch did off the bench before he got hurt in cleveland was enough for me to say See ya Tommy after this season.

cjmace
01-28-2006, 01:07 AM
I have no problem with them letting him go, he may even get a SB ring. I dont know if he would even get picked up for a practice squad. I just cant get on here and rag him up and down. Bottom line Batch is a good enough qb, but we knew that in preseason.

Steelersfan
01-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Tommy's a good guy and all but a good QB he is not. I would still take him over Kordell any day! I think that is why everyone got caught up in him. We actually had someone throwing the ball that could (at times) hit our WR's in stride. If Kordell did that it was pure luck. The problem with Tommy was that he could hit the other's teams DB's in stride too!

Milkman
01-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Tommy's a good guy and all but a good QB he is not. I would still take him over Kordell any day! I think that is why everyone got caught up in him. We actually had someone throwing the ball that could (at times) hit our WR's in stride. If Kordell did that it was pure luck. The problem with Tommy was that he could hit the other's teams DB's in stride too!

'Nuff said!

plark
01-28-2006, 01:19 AM
besides if he didnt suck so bad, we wouldnt have been the only #6 seed to make it to the playoffs and win 3 road games in a row!

Brady12
01-28-2006, 02:07 AM
I remember one game, where Maddox threw like Nearly 500 yards, 4 TD, and 1 INT. He was a star in that game.

krussell
01-28-2006, 02:12 AM
while he hasnt played very well this year i think his experience/knowledge of the game has helped a certain young quaterback. that said i dont want to see him take another snap, but a mentor is a good role for him.

plark
01-28-2006, 02:31 AM
acutally, Batch helps him more than maddox does.. :\

Steelersfan
01-28-2006, 02:52 AM
I remember one game, where Maddox threw like Nearly 500 yards, 4 TD, and 1 INT. He was a star in that game.

I remember a certain Browns QB do that too (he lost....lol) but where is he now? One game doesn't make a great QB.

3 to be 4
01-28-2006, 06:06 AM
unless you're Doug Williams. haha

SteelerFanInATL
01-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Alright, everyone jump on, first steeler post here, and Im watching these videos, showing the doom of Maddox, and all his TOs, and yes he player really really really bad this season. But hold on one second.........In 2002-2004 he through for 6200yds, and almost 40 TDs. Ok not great, but think about what he did for the QB position for those two years. Steelers did not have another starter on the team, nobody, st pierre, or batch at the time were not starters. So he is doing pretty well those years, making less than a special teamer. What would have happened if he left at the end of the 2003 season, or even 2004?????? Kordell??? No, We would have had to draft or trade for a starting QB. Now think about how often that happens......as far as Im concerned, its not that often. Heres my point, before everyone piles on and throws a brick through my front window. WE WOULD NEVER HAVE BIG BEN ON OUR ROSTER IF IT WERENT FOR MADDOX STICKING AROUND INSTEAD OF CHASING THE MONEY AFTER A GREAT YEAR. He did well for the few years we really needed him, he has to have help #7 in some capacity, and I that is why we should appreciate the Comeback Player of the Year, and not worry about the games hes played lately. GO STILLERS

Hold on, alot of people are not hating what he did in the past but how he played this year.
I can see having one bad game but Maddox really stunk up the place this year. I was cheering for Tommy all the way, but it got to the point where enough is enough. One of the most exciting games I ever watched was against Cleveland when Maddox brought the team back from fourteen or seventeen points. This year Maddox got exposed by not being\
a moble QB, which he has never been really, and the the good play of Batch. Trust me ,I really appreiceate what he has done for us. But we all know in sports its about What have you done for me lately. Thats just my $.02 worth.

TasmanianTroy271
01-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Maddox is the kind of QB who needs to start in order to keep in rhythm. He can't just come in and automatically start throwing passes. He'd be an OK starter, but he can't be a back up. Luckily, we have Batch, who is younger and better.

83-Steelers-43
01-28-2006, 08:56 AM
It's a what have you done for me lately league. And what he has done lately besides play horrible football and then call out his teammates?

Prosdo
01-28-2006, 09:08 AM
Not a Maddox fan. Would like to see him gone after this season.

83-Steelers-43
01-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Not a Maddox fan. Would like to see him gone after this season.

I don't think there is any doubt that he will be gone after this season.

Animal
01-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I like the depth that Batch and Maddox give the Steelers, but can they afford all three. Personally, I would not even bother picking up a QB for next year if they let Maddox go. Go with Big Ben and Batch, with Randle-El as an emergency QB.

Justin Otstott
01-28-2006, 09:37 AM
^ I agree with you on that one...but hey I cant lie I was a huge Kordell fan back in those days haha! I was tho.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Ed.B. of the Post-Gazette has reported Maddox was of no assistance to Ben since Ben was a threat to "take" Maddox's job & I also recall the stories that Maddox was "upset" after Ben was drafted. Combine that with Maddox not calling out his agent on the lies about garbage being tossed on his lawn & I have no use for Tommy Gun.

I guess we should be grateful Maddox kept the Steelers mediocre in 2003; if the Steelers had been truly horrible and drafted higher Cowher might have been able to achieve his alleged goal of getting Philip Rivers. On the other hand, if the Steelers had been a .500 team Ben would have been long gone by the time the Steelers drafted.

Instead, Steelers achieved a "Goldilocks" draft postion (not too hot/not too cold), got Ben, and hopefullly the rest will be history.

cjmace
01-28-2006, 02:52 PM
thats exactly what Im saying

TheButt
01-28-2006, 03:14 PM
You know its the off-week if you guys are talking about Tommy somebody or other..

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2006, 03:15 PM
thats exactly what Im saying

Well, if I am interpreted as having said "exactly" what you were saying I apologize for being misinterpreted.

I am not in exact agreement with your post, specifically with regard to your statement we should be grateful Maddox did not go for the big money after 2002 - he was under contract for several years after 2002 and had nowhere to go. Instead, he b****ed about the contract, which led to the Steelers altering their policy of not renegotiating contracts and giving him a nice additional bonus, which in turn prompted Hines Ward to ask that his contract be renegotiated, which planted the seeds of Hines holding out. But that is typical narcissistic Maddox behavior.

My point is that in a twisted way we should be grateful that a self-centered mediocrity such as Tommy Gun was QB in 2003 so the Steelers fortuitously could be just bad enough to draft #11 and get Ben. Until the Steelers solved their QB problems they were not a Super Bowl team; Maddox's 2 year reign as QB was a necessary means to that end, sort of like having to endure a mediocre President in order to lead to the election of great one (this is not a political board and I will not fill in the blanks as to an example of how that has worked in U.S. politics).

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2006, 03:17 PM
You know its the off-week if you guys are talking about Tommy somebody or other..

You are absolutely correct, but have to fill in the time until kick-off somehow :)

steelermaniac
01-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Anybody with a player on their team from the XFL is pathetic.... a matter of fact, if the trend continues the seahawks will win as they have agaist the only other teams with xfl players on them: Dallas Cowboys (Jose Cortez), Carolina Panthers (Rod 'He Hate Me' Smart) and now the Steelers (Tommy Maddox).

The XFL was a joke, and that is where your team belongs!

drizze99
01-28-2006, 03:34 PM
IMO, Tommy Maddox is useless. He is not the same QB that won "Come back player of the Year" anymore. That hit that he took from Bullock changed him. He crumbles now at the sight of pressure. I am tired of him curling up into a fetal position when a defender gets in his face. Add to that the hit he took from Baxter on his throwing arm and that nailed his NFL coffin. I don't want to see Tommy on the field with a Steeler uniform on again.

It is of the upmost importance that we re-sign Batch as Ben's back-up and see if we can find a late round gem in this years draft to be 3rd string.

Koopa
01-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Anybody with a player on their team from the XFL is pathetic.... a matter of fact, if the trend continues the seahawks will win as they have agaist the only other teams with xfl players on them: Dallas Cowboys (Jose Cortez), Carolina Panthers (Rod 'He Hate Me' Smart) and now the Steelers (Tommy Maddox).

dude just replace cowher with with a seahawk logo already you little fag, i better not see you runnning around on this forum if we win talking like you been with the team all this time cause i'll neg rep the **** out of you and i'll hound you till you leave you little bitch

steelermaniac
01-28-2006, 03:53 PM
http://www.geocities.com/jshmt/a_maddox_i.jpg

Koopa
01-28-2006, 03:56 PM
what's up with you and fags? i'm starting to think what i called you is true

Stlrs4Life
01-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I hear ya. Shame people only remember the bad things a player does. I told my brother the same thing after the Jags game. Everybody was on him then, like Stink on Sh--. But don't remember the drives he made during the "Comeback" vs the Shit Stains in the playoffs.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-28-2006, 04:08 PM
The only good thing he did for us was force us into drafting Big Ben Roethlisberger,because the team knew not only was Tommygun NOT the longterm answer at QB...neither was he the short-term 3 year QB after the 6-10 season.

Remember everyone,Tommy Maddox lead us to a 6-10 season his only full season as a starter for us.Last year,if not for Ben,he woulda led us to another 6-10 season or even worse.We knew he wasn't that good after 2003,so this year's total meltdown shouldn't be a surprise.

Koopa
01-28-2006, 04:11 PM
i also think that him being a total waste of life for us in two games was a blessing in disquise, because like i said in my first post in this thread we had to play hard all season not take a break like the colts and bengals. and if we win it all i'll be able to forgive maddox for being a waste of life. but i still hope he ain't on the roster next year

RoethlisBURGHer
01-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I hear ya. Shame people only remember the bad things a player does. I told my brother the same thing after the Jags game. Everybody was on him then, like Stink on Sh--. But don't remember the drives he made during the "Comeback" vs the Shit Stains in the playoffs.

I remember that,the only problem was he couldn't be good against a decent-good defense.Hell,mess up his timing a tiny bit and the pass was way off.He's less mobile than a huge boulder.

blitzburghXL
01-28-2006, 07:55 PM
I've never been a Maddox fan, I never will be a Maddox fan. After what he did to us this year, he should never be allowed to show his face in Pittsburgh ever again. I was extremely upset when he bumped Kordell out of the starting QB position, but i guess we can thank ****up for forcing us to draft Big Ben.

rgleason
01-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I dont know how not being a good QB makes someone a "waste of life." Thats a horrible comment.

The door has unfortunatley shut on Tommy and that was exposed this year. He wont be back next year, nor should he. Steelers might take someone late in the draft, might pick someone up, might have ARE as third string (if ARE is back).

Tommy did save a season for us and almost got us to an AFC championship game.

Koopa
01-28-2006, 08:23 PM
I dont know how not being a good QB makes someone a "waste of life." Thats a horrible comment.

The door has unfortunatley shut on Tommy and that was exposed this year. He wont be back next year, nor should he. Steelers might take someone late in the draft, might pick someone up, might have ARE as third string (if ARE is back).

Tommy did save a season for us and almost got us to an AFC championship game.

what that "waste of life" did in the past doesn't count. it's what have you done for me lately and he done nothing but cost us games

OX1947
01-28-2006, 08:42 PM
It wasnt the fact that Tommy messed up in the two loses this year, it was the fact of how he made the mistakes and when. Morgan goes 74 yards on the return in JAX, then that moron parker almost fumbles it. You would think that a QB like maddox would be extra cautions in his deliver on either a hand off or pass. Instead, he fumbles the ball walking and then tries and pick it up instead of just falling on the ball to give Reed a chance to seal the game. And then Baltimore, I mean come on. Reed gone, Lewis gone, just run the offense and dont be stupid.

HburgXL06
01-29-2006, 12:46 AM

Someone please throw this ******* out of this forum. I have been readin all over this forum and every time I see this persons name on a post it is somethin bad bout da Steelers. This bitch ain't a Steelers fan but a wolf in fans clothin. GET HIM DA F**K OUT OF THIS FORUM! He does not deserve to be linked as a Steelers fan. MODERATORS GET HIM OUT PLEASE!!!!

BuFu

clevestinks
01-29-2006, 07:12 AM
We thought Tommy was our savior, because he replaced Kordell! Little did we know, Tommy was just descent, not great! We now know what great is " Big Ben"

SteelerFanInATL
01-29-2006, 07:20 AM
The only good thing he did for us was force us into drafting Big Ben Roethlisberger,because the team knew not only was Tommygun NOT the longterm answer at QB...neither was he the short-term 3 year QB after the 6-10 season.

Remember everyone,Tommy Maddox lead us to a 6-10 season his only full season as a starter for us.Last year,if not for Ben,he woulda led us to another 6-10 season or even worse.We knew he wasn't that good after 2003,so this year's total meltdown shouldn't be a surprise.

That 6-10 season was not his fault. That was the season the O Line was banged up really bad. The same year Famous Amous won the starting HB role and no holes to run through.
I can remember one game that season when the O Line changed every series because guys were hurt and more kept getting hurt during the game.
No Offensive Line = No Passing Game + No Running Game + 6-10 Regular Season. Don't let your hate for Maddox be outshined by The Facts.

noto45
01-29-2006, 10:32 AM
thanks for the memories tommy but your time has come and gone.

BlackNGold203
01-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Man...LOL...lest we forget.....

The Cleveland playoff game???
The way he rallied the team in the 2nd half???

The Atlanta game?...what was that?..480 yards?...4 TD's??

Granted...Tommy's time here is done...but he was a GREAT story...
and I agree with SteelerFanInATL...that 6-10 season was all about having no
OL....

I have Tommy's jersey...and I'll always have GREAT memories of him...lets not hate on Tommy...cmon guys...lets move on

TexaSteeler
01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
also another good thing about that waste of life is him losing us to games, he forced to play are best down the stretch instead of taking it easy going into the playoffs

Waste of life? Get over it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2006, 11:27 AM
The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league.. and lately Tommy has done zero for us. Gimme Ben to start, Batch to backup, and bring in a 3rd qb in FA or the draft.

blackgoldchamps
01-29-2006, 01:21 PM
Never a Maddox fan but I never hated him.Have to agree its time for him to go.FOR 06 Batch as the back up with ARE as 3rd string would be the best of all worlds.But it appears he may be on the way to Chicago.How much extra would it cost to get him in the back up qb role?Is it really worth it?If Quincy Morgan can come back healthy Im sure his price tag would be much less than ARE's.Cedrick seems to have started to become comfortable with the system.Draft the best available 6th or 7th round qb and save some$$$$$ on the cap.

43Hitman
01-29-2006, 01:26 PM

Was that the cleavlend playoff game? I can't remember for sure.:dang:

Prosdo
01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Sorry after Tommy said about people throwing stuff in his yard and bothering his kids. Then his wife denies it happened a few days later. I don't really care for the guy after that.

BlackNGold203
01-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Was that the cleavlend playoff game? I can't remember for sure.:dang:

That was the OT tie against Atlanta

SteelerzGirl
01-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I thank Maddox for the good years, but he was never the same QB after he was hurt. He's too chicken crap now. I personally hope the Ravens pick him up. Maddox could really help the Ravens... Help them lose! And that would be a good thing for the Steelers. :bouncy: Or maybe the Johnstown Riverhawks indoor football team can pick him up. :rofl:

I agree w/Prosdo, too, in that I no longer have any respect for Maddox the man after what he said about fans trashing his yard and bothering his kids, and then his wife denied it. That just wasn't cool.

steelermaniac
01-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Maddox is really good. He did a lot for Your team. After all HE DID WIN THE XFL MILLION DOLLAR GAME!

SteelCityMan786
01-29-2006, 08:40 PM
No The Only thing he did was get his a position to make history.