PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: 'We are a good team, this is embarrassing'

mesaSteeler
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Roethlisberger: 'We are a good team, this is embarrassing'
December 14, 7:49 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_657709.html

PITTSBURGH - The year 2009 was supposed to be the year of change. We heard it during the election and we heard it during the past two weeks when it comes to the Steelers.

Thus far we have seen much of the above. The only thing that has been a reality is a number of bailouts, which at this juncture the Steelers severely need.

A month ago, the Steelers had wins over Minnesota, San Diego and Denver sat at 6-2 and were still being picked as a potential Super Bowl team.

Those thoughts are gone. The chances of making the playoffs are pretty much too, and with a veteran laden team now questions abound. Have the Steelers finally hit the wall like they did in the mid 80's?

"I like the “fight” in the group and I trust they will continue to do that. It is a close-knit group and I trust that they’ll stick together," Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said. "But fighting and sticking together are not going to win football games. Performance and preparation will. We have an extended week here in preparation for our next performance so we better make moves to get that done."

The question is what moves will be made as players seem baffled by the current five game losing streak, with an even bigger question being what needs to be done.

Inside the lockers, there has been no finger pointing. But it’s evident; the defending Super Bowl Champs are not playing as a team.

If quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's words are any indication, players will have to dig deep to avoid the worst losing streak since the magical Steel Curtain days arrived in 1969.

Roethlisberger’s answers were short, much like the yardage gained against the Browns.

“I think we are a good team.” he said when asked if the Steelers were any good.

Then when asked if the team was missing anything, again the answer was short with frustrating standing out.

“Obviously, we’re not winning football games and like I said, it’s frustrating.”

He also added the fact it is embarrassing.

"Good word used by Hines Ward," Roethlisberger said. “Embarrassing and its disappointing."

While he did take some responsibility saying he didn't play his best game, the lack of answers was telltale.

There are none.

This is with the exception of losing Nate Washington and Bryant McFadden to free-agency the same football team that was on the field last year. While one can point to the loss of safety Troy Polamalu as being a big factor, it’s more than just that and it’s something the team has yet to pinpoint.

"We're too good to be losing these types of games, to these types of teams," Casey Hampton said. "You can say there's parity where you can lose to anybody, man that's ridiculous. It's embarrassing."

SteelerEmpire
12-14-2009, 07:48 PM
The word of the year.... EMBARRASSING

HowBoutThemSteelers
12-14-2009, 07:51 PM
The word of the year.... EMBARRASSING

I say Uneceptable

SteelyMan
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I say Uneceptable

Unfortunately that's not a word...

T.Richardson
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Unacceptable?

StainlessStill
12-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Hahahahaaha.:rofl:

devilsdancefloor
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM

http://i47.tinypic.com/ws1jmc.jpg

stillers4me
12-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Yes, I do believe this is still a very good team. With something terribly wrong.

steelpride12
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Injuries here and there and some coaching problems can really tear down a team. Embarrassing is the correct word.

LVSteelersfan
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Anybody want some used Steeler gear? I am going out to buy some Saints gear. Keep your shirt on. JUST KIDDING !!!!!!!!!!! If I never lost faith during the Kordell, Brister, Malone, Stoudt years, I can handle a down year once in awhile. I don't know what happened but it has been a very disappointing and frustrating season. I don't think it is all due to Troy being out but it sure hasn't helped much. And Aaron Smith is a huge loss. Not many teams can lose two perennial Pro Bowlers and still hit on all cylinders. The offense has been offensive. No scoring in the red zone EVER is pretty pathetic and totally on Arians.

zulater
12-14-2009, 10:40 PM
"I like the “fight” in the group and I trust they will continue to do that. Mike Tomlin.

Did he really say that? Wow!

GBMelBlount
12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Roethlisberger: 'We are a good team, this is embarrassing'.

Ummm, thanks Ben.

I feel so much better knowing you feel this way. :thumbsup: