PDA

View Full Version : Bus Stops: Three-step plan to fix Steelers; Moss needs some time

mesaSteeler
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Bus Stops: Three-step plan to fix Steelers; Moss needs some time
Jerome Bettis>INSIDE THE NFL

Throughout the 2009 season, SI.com's Adam Duerson will work with Jerome Bettis to get the six-time Pro Bowl running back's observations about the previous week's games. Bettis retired from the NFL in 2006 after a 13-year career.

The Steelers need to be fixed. Here's what I'd do this offseason if I were Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert:

1. Get depth. Coming off a Super Bowl win, this team got arrogant about its starting talent. It lost some starters -- Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu -- and couldn't sustain the integrity of the defense.

2. Spend some money on the offensive line. It might take a couple guys, and it'll cost a pretty penny, but that line needs work and it needs depth, too. Without a strong line, your whole offense changes. The running game disappears.

3. Make the running game a priority in training camp. The line play didn't help, but the running game really suffered most in training camp because it just wasn't made a priority. This team's mindset and philosophy has changed away from running, but you can't pass -- or win football games -- without a running game base, I believe. That lack of a running game accounts for all of the fourth-quarter losses.

(Rest of the article is not about the Steelers - mesa)

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/12/14/bus.stops/index.html#ixzz0ZhjWsML4
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm so surprised the ....."yeah, but the Colts win games without a running game..." fans havent responded to this yet. :jawdrop:

The funniest thing about this article is that the Steelers DID invest in the O line. They gave 4 of their 5 starters new contracts in the offseason(Starks-4year, Kemo-4yr, Hartwig-4yr, Essex-2yr) and arguably their best lineman is a free agent this offseason, in Colon.

I think they have the makings of an O line that can be effective, but they let them get beat on instead of letting the O line be aggressive by running the football. O linemen would rather take a step forward to hit the defender, than take a step back to get hit by the pass rusher!!!!

Angus Burgher
12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
The O-Line sucks at run blocking. Mendenhall can't even run against the worst defenses in the league half the time. Maybe he's the problem, but their inability to open up holes doesn't help things.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
The O-Line sucks at run blocking. Mendenhall can't even run against the worst defenses in the league half the time. Maybe he's the problem, but their inability to open up holes doesn't help things.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. They seemingly suck because they are rarely given the opportunity to establish the run and dont have a true blocking FB.

When the Steelers had to rely on the run against the Ravens in week 12, because Dennis Dixon was starting.....Mendenhall had 95 yards on 24 carries, Carey Davis 15 yards on 2 carries and Parker 14 yards on 5 carries.

So.....when the O line commits to the run they allow Mendenhall to average 4 YPC against the #6 rushing defense in the NFL....AND THEY SUCK AT RUN BLOCKING???? :doh:

tony hipchest
12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
Sorry, but you are incorrect. They seemingly suck because they are rarely given the opportunity to establish the run and dont have a true blocking FB.

When the Steelers had to rely on the run against the Ravens in week 12, because Dennis Dixon was starting.....Mendenhall had 95 yards on 24 carries, Carey Davis 15 yards on 2 carries and Parker 14 yards on 5 carries.

So.....when the O line commits to the run they allow Mendenhall to average 4 YPC against the #6 rushing defense in the NFL....AND THEY SUCK AT RUN BLOCKING???? :doh:

yeah but what do you know? youre just a fan. :wink02:

pat kirwan notes that during their 5 game winning streak the best they have looked offensively was against the ravens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814f6dc1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

d) The irony of the Steelers' five-game slide is that their best chance to win came in a Week 12 overtime loss to Baltimore, when Dennis Dixon started for an injured Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers ran the ball 38 times in that matchup and almost won. Against the Browns, they ran the ball just 22 times.

(i dont count the 2 busted pass plays that ben scrambled and a qb sneak as run plays.)

against denver (the #1 ranked defense at the time) we established the run. we saw some g-power and kemo pulling to blow people up. where has that been vs. teh sucky teams?

against the vikings (arguably the best rush defense not named pittsburgh the past 3 years, we established the run game and were able to win. mendenhall looked as good as peterson.

and we run the ball against the ravens, who before some inconsistant play this year, havent been that bad of a rush defense themselves.

its all about "want too", and that starts from the top.

the knock on willie was he couldnt succeed against a great defense. now that we got a back that can, we abandon him against the dregs of the league.

:wtf:

Mean Machine
12-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I consider OL also a top priority. I'd love to get a mauler at RT and let Colon and the rest battle it out at RG. Also, we need to get an OC that can take over.

DB is no surprise. Taylor, Gay, they all stink. Also, depth at ILB because Farrior isn't getting any younger.

Since we will likely not sign guys like Parker, Clark, and possibly others, let's take a look at our core players and build around them.

I like a lot of our players, but we need to retool by using the draft, signing a few of our own players, and FA. Don't want to get back into the situation when we signed Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington to those big deals and then we sucked.

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2009, 06:04 PM
well in all fairness ,everybody knows its difficult to run the ball in 35 mph winds ....:noidea:

mesaSteeler
12-14-2009, 06:06 PM
well in all fairness ,everybody knows its difficult to run the ball in 35 mph winds ....:noidea:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::applaudit::applaudit::rofl::rof l:

tony hipchest
12-14-2009, 06:18 PM
I consider OL also a top priority. I'd love to get a mauler at RT and let Colon and the rest battle it out at RG. Also, we need to get an OC that can take over.

see, and here i thought we drafted one of the top RG prospects in last years draft. is that dude not being coached up, or what? does he just suck? when will we find out?

good one, MOP. :chuckle:

JEFF4i
12-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Rashard hasn't done much? He'srushed superbly, averaging 5 a carry for a season is pretty good you know?

Our line isn't weak, they're big guys. That's why we need gut rushing, the big guys are great for getting a line pushed up more than out. More gutshots with Mendy, maybe a little trick plays with Dixon, Ward, and Holmes (all 3 can throw y'know), and then when you have 2 left and back by 4. Unleash Big Ben.

I may not be in the NFL, but something tells me if we did things conventionally or trick/run plays we'd be able to go at least 6-7 so far.

tony hipchest
12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I may not be in the NFL, but something tells me if we did things conventionally or trick/run plays we'd be able to go at least 6-7 so far.arians went conventional once, against the browns, in a tropical storm, and won the game. (willie- 28 carries, ben 20 pass).

he also went conventional again against the browns. willie had 200+ yards rushing and was yanked shortly after the end of the 3rd quarter.

strangely both games were won. the browns picked up that gameplan after arians flushed it down the toilet and used our winning formula against us.

"when its brown, flush it down" (arians is reeking of brown, right about now.)

devilsdancefloor
12-14-2009, 06:36 PM
urbik is a freakin road grader, legursky needs to have a nice long look at center IMHO. can foster play tackle that kid has really opened my eyes he can pull like kemo, but he gets a good push off the line. id like to see a line starks kemo legursky urbik hills the next 3 games and damn put K lewis & Burnett in at CB. It seems we draft these oline guys and poof they are inactive & no one hears how are they doing. If we arent gonna use the guys we have to "test" the waters with them at some point. Hell id love to see legursky in as a FB I dont know it is frustration on my part and stubborrness by the coachs. For the life of my i cant figure out WHY sonny harris hasnt been active on game day.:noidea::noidea:

JEFF4i
12-14-2009, 06:43 PM
arians went conventional once, against the browns, in a tropical storm, and won the game. (willie- 28 carries, ben 20 pass).

he also went conventional again against the browns. willie had 200+ yards rushing and was yanked shortly after the end of the 3rd quarter.

strangely both games were won. the browns picked up that gameplan after arians flushed it down the toilet and used our winning formula against us.

"when its brown, flush it down" (arians is reeking of brown, right about now.)

Exactly. Heck, one of the commenters after the Browns game said that if Rashard could get 130 every game, no one will beat the Steelers. But even when he's producing well (Raiders) he gets pulled?

Arians himself says the Wildcat is a gimmick. At one point I felt the same way, but I still stick that we give SOME carries to Dixon for an option. It teaches him, and gives Ben some breathing room. I love Big Ben, but he can't get sacked like this all the time is going to take its toll, if it hasn't already.

Rick5895
12-14-2009, 07:12 PM
urbik is a freakin road grader, legursky needs to have a nice long look at center IMHO. can foster play tackle that kid has really opened my eyes he can pull like kemo, but he gets a good push off the line. id like to see a line starks kemo legursky urbik hills the next 3 games and damn put K lewis & Burnett in at CB. It seems we draft these oline guys and poof they are inactive & no one hears how are they doing. If we arent gonna use the guys we have to "test" the waters with them at some point. Hell id love to see legursky in as a FB I dont know it is frustration on my part and stubborrness by the coachs. For the life of my i cant figure out WHY sonny harris hasnt been active on game day.:noidea::noidea:

I was very excited when we drafted Urbik, If he's not good enough for game some coach isn't coaching him up because what I saw of him in College, HE WAS A BEAST. I coudln't agree more about Lewis and Burnett, let the kids play and start Urbik.

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Exactly. Heck, one of the commenters after the Browns game said that if Rashard could get 130 every game, no one will beat the Steelers. But even when he's producing well (Raiders) he gets pulled?

Arians himself says the Wildcat is a gimmick. At one point I felt the same way, but I still stick that we give SOME carries to Dixon for an option. It teaches him, and gives Ben some breathing room. I love Big Ben, but he can't get sacked like this all the time is going to take its toll, if it hasn't already.
actually here's what he said about the wildcat....

"I've seen what people are going to do to it," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. "Once our defense saw it enough times, they devised something to stop it. Defenses are catching on real quick."

here's what it boils down to.....
miami - wildcat offense....7-6.... 49% 3rd down conversion
steelers - arians offense...6-7....38% 3rd down conversion.

miami averages the same amount of 1st downs a game as the steelers WITH chad henne as the qb. and garbage receivers.

what bruce won't admit is that teams have caught on to HIS offense and playcalling.

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, wait a second...

We haven't lost by more than 7 all year and I'm pretty sure our defense and ST's has let us down in most of those.

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Well, wait a second...

We haven't lost by more than 7 all year and I'm pretty sure our defense and ST's has let us down in most of those.
Well, wait a second...
the steelers couldn't score a td on the WORST defense in the league ...but yet that offensive juggarnuat known as the lions put up 38 on them....so whats your point ? :noidea:

tony hipchest
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
We haven't lost by more than 7 all year and I'm pretty sure our defense and ST's has let us down in most of those.no troy. no smith.

whats the offenses excuse? last year the defense carried the offense that was down about 3 linemen, and its top 2 backs.

our defense only allowed the browns to score 13 points.

again, what is the offenses excuse for only scoring 6?

even the freaking detroit lions scored at will vs the browns. :doh:

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, wait a second...
the steelers couldn't score a td on the WORST defense in the league ...but yet that offensive juggarnuat known as the lions put up 38 on them....so whats your point ? :noidea:

Umm, how 'bout putting some of the blame on the execution by our players?

How 'bout the position our defense or ST's has left our offense in all year?

Do you honestly think a different OC would have made the difference? Again, we won the SB with this man and these players. What I'm seeing is Ben throwing bad passes, getting sacked and our WR's either dropping passes or not getting open to begin with.

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
no troy. no smith.

whats the offenses excuse? last year the defense carried the offense that was down about 3 linemen, and its top 2 backs.

our defense only allowed the browns to score 13 points.

again, what is the offenses excuse for only scoring 6?

even the freaking detroit lions scored at will vs the browns. :doh:

Okay, so you think it's the game plan instead of the our players? Based on what?

Because we ran twice and wanted to throw on 3rd and 1? Granted it's not conventional, but I would imagine that running on 3rd and 1 is more predictable than anything else Arians would have called. Remember, Arians' game plan is built around what his players do well.

Well, I'd say our players have been blowing it out of their asses this year.

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Umm, how 'bout putting some of the blame on the execution by our players?

How 'bout the position our defense or ST's has left our offense in all year?

Do you honestly think a different OC would have made the difference? Again, we won the SB with this man and these players. What I'm seeing is Ben throwing bad passes, getting sack and our WR's either dropping passes or not getting open to begin with. well...i bet a different offensive coordinator wouldn't have started the game going shotgun against the worst run defense in the league on 3rd and one. ....i bet a different coordinator wouldn't have tried 40 pass plays in 35 mph winds..:noidea:

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
well...i bet a different offensive coordinator wouldn't have started the game going shotgun against the worst run defense in the league on 3rd and one. ....i bet a different coordinator wouldn't have tried 40 pass plays in 35 mph winds..:noidea:

Even IF that was true, it's still only one game. And the Browns are 32nd against the pass too. I heard little to no mention of the wind in that game except the occasional update on it. It had no effect on kicks, throws or otherwise.

As I said, our defense and special teams have put us in some crappy positions. Even when our Arians coached/Ben led offense got the lead, our defense has given it up again with little to no time left on the clock. So, does Lebeau have to go too? Of course not.

tony hipchest
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Okay, so you think it's the game plan instead of the our players? Based on what?

Because we ran twice and wanted to throw on 3rd and 1? Granted it's not conventional, but I would imagine that running on 3rd and 1 is more predictable than anything else Arians would have called. Remember, Arians' game plan is built around what his players do well.

Well, I'd say our players have been blowing it out of their asses this year.ben and miller were both on pace for career years. holmes and hines were on pace for 1000+ yds each (hines was looking at a career year. mendenhall was looking at a 1000 yd year and 10th in the league in rushing and 3rd in YPC before the brown abortion. :poop: we actually had offensive linemen being talked about as pro bowl worthy. mike wallace loked like the finest rookie and 3rd wr we have had in years.

then arians had to get cute against the bungles, chiefs, raiders, and browns. :doh:

i think our players can do fine if put into the position to succeed.

"fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me...."

oh and as far as ST's go, ligashitthebedsky needs to go as well.

theres nothing wrong with firing coaches. miami fired cameron and went from 1-15 to 11-5. ravens hired the same dude to run their offense and finally put together an offense and made it to the champ game. :noidea:

arians is no sacred cow.

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 09:50 PM
ben and miller were both on pace for career years. holmes and hines were on pace for 1000+ yds each (hines was looking at a career year. mendenhall was looking at a 1000 yd year and 10th in the league in rushing and 3rd in YPC before the brown abortion. :poop: we actually had offensive linemen being talked about as pro bowl worthy. mike wallace loked like the finest rookie and 3rd wr we have had in years.

then arians had to get cute against the bungles, chiefs, raiders, and browns. :doh:

i think our players can do fine if put into the position to succeed.

"fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me...."

oh and as far as ST's go, ligashitthebedsky needs to go as well.

theres nothing wrong with firing coaches. miami fired cameron and went from 1-15 to 11-5. ravens hired the same dude to run their offense and finally put together an offense and made it to the champ game. :noidea:

arians is no sacred cow.

No he's not and I'm all for a firing if it's deserved. But again, we did win a SB with him and he got the crap-ass Browns to the playoffs. His resume is probably better than what may be available to us.

There are just too many other things to consider before pinning our crap season on just one guy.

And the Bungles games were lost mostly on defense and ST's. Plus in the first of those meetings (as with the Lions) Ben does not have to throw the ball to the defender for a pick six.

The Raiders game? C'mon Tone, that was a defensive failure.

Chiefs? Total team failure.

MACH1
12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Even IF that was true, it's still only one game. And the Browns are 32nd against the pass too. I heard little to no mention of the wind in that game except the occasional update on it. It had no effect on kicks, throws or otherwise.

As I said, our defense and special teams have put us in some crappy positions. Even when our Arians coached/Ben led offense got the lead, our defense has given it up again with little to no time left on the clock. So, does Lebeau have to go too? Of course not.

Third and 1, lets just telegraph what were doing. five wide, shotgun with empty backfield. At least let them guess if its a run or a pass, but nooooo.

tony hipchest
12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
No he's not and I'm all for a firing if it's deserved. But again, we did win a SB with him and he got the crap-ass Browns to the playoffs. His resume is probably better than what may be available to us.

There are just too many other things to consider before pinning our crap season on just one guy.

And the Bungles games were lost mostly on defense and ST's. Plus in the first of those meetings (as with the Lions) Ben does not have to throw the ball to the defender for a pick six.

The Raiders game? C'mon Tone, that was a defensive failure.

Chiefs? Total team failure.losing nate washington and darnell stapelton isnt the same as losing polamalu and smith. i can see why our defense is allowing 20 points a game w/o them.

what i cant see is why our offense isnt scoring 30+ points a game vs raiders, chiefs, and browns.

defense last year was spectacular. special teams were pretty damn good. but bruce arians failures at goal to go situations or third and short are failing at epic proportions.

think back last year vs. san diego, dallas, and arizona in the super bowl. we were inches away from missing the playoffs (good thing the healthy defense bailed us out) or losing the superbowl.

did anyone really wanna see the steelers forced to go for it on 4th and inches if the refs didnt decide santonio crossed the plane vs the ravens?

arians has ben, miller, holmes, and mendenhall to work with. they make some pretty decent money and represent 4 of the 5 last #1 draft picks.

its his JOB to get them in the endzone. (or atleast convert a 3rd down and put together a freaking drive). :dang:

MasterOfPuppets
12-14-2009, 10:45 PM

As I said, our defense and special teams have put us in some crappy positions. Even when our Arians coached/Ben led offense got the lead, our defense has given it up again with little to no time left on the clock. So, does Lebeau have to go too? Of course not. so now ask yourself WHY the receivers couldn't get open . is it because thier db's who get eatin alive by every other receiving corp was just better than our receivers ? or was it because they anticipated the play and the routes that were being run ?

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 11:05 PM
so now ask yourself WHY the receivers couldn't get open . is it because thier db's who get eatin alive by every other receiving corp was just better than our receivers ? or was it because they anticipated the play and the routes that were being run ?

:doh: Really man?

Preacher
12-14-2009, 11:07 PM
so now ask yourself WHY the receivers couldn't get open . is it because thier db's who get eatin alive by every other receiving corp was just better than our receivers ? or was it because they anticipated the play and the routes that were being run ?

A little bit of A, a little bit of B.

Our offense, under Arians, was very good two years ago. Last year, we were ate up by injuries and a horrid front line that had to gel. yet, we still played decently enough to make the SB.

This year, parts of our O line, WR's and QB were in line for the Probowl and our team looked ready for a deep run into the playoffs.

Now, 6 weeks later, we are horrid. Did Arians get that bad that fast? Or was there other problems as well?

My thoughts are that we have a series of problems... and Arians play-calling over the last 6 weeks has unfortunately highlighted them instead of hidden them. Part of that is because his scheme has been deciphered. He telecasts runs and passes by the placement of Hines Ward-not to mention the open set. But we don't nose dive that fast, without there being a lot more problems then just Arians.

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 11:07 PM
losing nate washington and darnell stapelton isnt the same as losing polamalu and smith. i can see why our defense is allowing 20 points a game w/o them.

what i cant see is why our offense isnt scoring 30+ points a game vs raiders, chiefs, and browns.

defense last year was spectacular. special teams were pretty damn good. but bruce arians failures at goal to go situations or third and short are failing at epic proportions.

think back last year vs. san diego, dallas, and arizona in the super bowl. we were inches away from missing the playoffs (good thing the healthy defense bailed us out) or losing the superbowl.

did anyone really wanna see the steelers forced to go for it on 4th and inches if the refs didnt decide santonio crossed the plane vs the ravens?

arians has ben, miller, holmes, and mendenhall to work with. they make some pretty decent money and represent 4 of the 5 last #1 draft picks.

its his JOB to get them in the endzone. (or atleast convert a 3rd down and put together a freaking drive). :dang:

So again I ask: The players, in your opinion, bear no responsibility for our offensive failures this season?

SH-Rock
12-14-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm so surprised the ....."yeah, but the Colts win games without a running game..." fans havent responded to this yet. :jawdrop:

The funniest thing about this article is that the Steelers DID invest in the O line. They gave 4 of their 5 starters new contracts in the offseason(Starks-4year, Kemo-4yr, Hartwig-4yr, Essex-2yr) and arguably their best lineman is a free agent this offseason, in Colon.

I think they have the makings of an O line that can be effective, but they let them get beat on instead of letting the O line be aggressive by running the football. O linemen would rather take a step forward to hit the defender, than take a step back to get hit by the pass rusher!!!!

The steelers had enough potential of going undefeated as the Colts and Saints at the beginning of the season

tony hipchest
12-14-2009, 11:51 PM
A little bit of A, a little bit of B.

Our offense, under Arians, was very good two years ago. Last year, we were ate up by injuries and a horrid front line that had to gel. yet, we still played decently enough to make the SB.

This year, parts of our O line, WR's and QB were in line for the Probowl and our team looked ready for a deep run into the playoffs.

Now, 6 weeks later, we are horrid. Did Arians get that bad that fast? Or was there other problems as well?

My thoughts are that we have a series of problems... and Arians play-calling over the last 6 weeks has unfortunately highlighted them instead of hidden them. Part of that is because his scheme has been deciphered. He telecasts runs and passes by the placement of Hines Ward-not to mention the open set. But we don't nose dive that fast, without there being a lot more problems then just Arians.

nobody is denying the loss of troy and smith as a problem, (or our horrid special teams) but arians is electing to NOT run a balanced offense, and tomlin has allowed it because "we won the sb with it last year".

arians was more focused on his resume for a head coaching job as opposed to a steelers repeat. he thought his silly schemes would trump even the weakest of opponents, but unfortunately for our team, all the opponents saw through his weak schemes.

even the patriots and colts atleast maintain some threat of a run.

balance is key. arians has yet to find(and hold onto) the key.

steelwalls
12-15-2009, 12:07 AM
I've been one of the Arian defenders, and I still believe there is plenty of blame to go around. The way I see it the players did not performe well at all in some games, like they just tuned out. Perhaps it was because of the play calls....I dunno.

However now I wonder if we don't do something to make a change (i.e. fire some coaches, can't really see them letting starters go at this point) will the players decide to tune out again next year?

MACH1
12-15-2009, 01:01 AM
I've been one of the Arian defenders, and I still believe there is plenty of blame to go around. The way I see it the players did not performe well at all in some games, like they just tuned out. Perhaps it was because of the play calls....I dunno.

However now I wonder if we don't do something to make a change (i.e. fire some coaches, can't really see them letting starters go at this point) will the players decide to tune out again next year?

They will if it's the same sorry crap ass play calling as this year. I still think there's more going on in the locker room than we know about.

solardave
12-15-2009, 03:17 AM

The line did open up holes this year when the right plays were called. You say Mendy can't run that he is the problem. What games were you watching? He not only finds the hole but hits it hard. Remember, this is his first starting season and you're ready to cut him. Pathetic.

Galax Steeler
12-15-2009, 03:47 AM

Mendenhall has 940 yards rushing and a 4.8 yards per carry. Also 158 yards receiving at 9.3 yards per recept. How do you figure he can't run or catch the ball.I think you need to point your blame somewhere else. 940 yards rushing with three games to play is not to bad.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
nobody is denying the loss of troy and smith as a problem, (or our horrid special teams) but arians is electing to NOT run a balanced offense, and tomlin has allowed it because "we won the sb with it last year".

arians was more focused on his resume for a head coaching job as opposed to a steelers repeat. he thought his silly schemes would trump even the weakest of opponents, but unfortunately for our team, all the opponents saw through his weak schemes.

And again, execution has absolutely nothing to do with it right? No OC can make a WR catch a ball or an OL block or Ben complete a pass to OUR GUY or stop Joshua Cribbs (and a host of other KR's) from running a kick back for six, or make Jeff Reed make two FG's in Chicago and so on and so on.

Our crap season cannot be blamed on anyone man or even any one aspect for that matter. The 2009 Steelers are just not getting it done PERIOD.

Dick Lebeau's staff has been more of a liability than anyone this year for crying out loud. Is anyone calling for his head? Of course not. Nor should they be.

I'm no Arians fan; I'd love to see us pound the ball down anyone's/everyone's throat. But I'm also not foolish enough to believe that he's to blame for 7 losses. IF he deserves the blame for one of them, then who is to blame for the rest and why aren't they being targeted for the spewing of the venom??

The "Arians has to go" argument is beyond ridiculous.

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
But we won a SB with Arians ... blah, blah, blah ...

Fact:
Last year we were beat up on offense and last year I was still upset with BA's play calling. Our offense was ranked 22nd with Arians at the helm and some injuries. Our D carried us and got us to the SB. Our talented players made a great play to win

This year our D is missing the best Safety to play the game and Smith. Guess what folks... we are still ranked #4 in total D.

just sayin'

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
But we won a SB with Arians ... blah, blah, blah ...

Fact:
Last year we were beat up on offense and last year I was still upset with BA's play calling. Our offense was ranked 22nd with Arians at the helm and some injuries. Our D carried us and got us to the SB. Our talented players made a great play to win

This year our D is missing the best Safety to play the game and Smith. Guess what folks... we are still ranked #4 in total D.

just sayin'

"Replace Arians and everything is fixed blah, blah, blah." :rolleyes:

FACT: WE DID WIN THE EFFING SB WITH ARIANS. Of course when plays fail, it's all his fault, but when they succeed it's "our talented players." :doh:

Gimme a break. :coffee:

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
"Replace Arians and everything is fixed blah, blah, blah." :rolleyes:

FACT: WE DID WIN THE EFFING SB WITH ARIANS. Of course when plays fail, it's all his fault, but when they succeed it's "our talented players." :doh:

Gimme a break. :coffee:

succeed??? Did you read the stats? 22nd isn't exactly what I call success. :noidea:

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM
succeed??? Did you read the stats? 22nd isn't exactly what I call success. :noidea:

:doh:

Listen to me carefully:

WE WON THE F**KING SUPER BOWL!!!!

Is that not good enough? We have to be #1 in offense for it to count??? :rofl:

Anyway, winning the super bowl is EXACTLY what I call success. Not sure what you call success.

Preacher
12-15-2009, 06:15 PM

SB is what I call success :noidea:

Being able to make comebacks to win games is what I call success. :noidea:

Being able to overcome devastating injuries to our O line and top two running backs to win the SB is what I call GREAT SUCCESS. :noidea:

Preacher
12-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Well, you have seen me state that very same thing all over the boards. Balance.

Let me ask you this question though, why is it that the defense gets a pass just because Troy and Aaron are out.. but the offense doesn't get a pass when our key lineman for the run has been injured? Kemo is the ignition for that run game. His pulls are brutal. Could it be that we didn't run because Arians knew that Kemo couldn't pull properly.. even when he did play?

We don't blitz the same when Troy and Aaron aren't playing. So why is Arians playcalling suspect and LeBeau's isn't?

I have my thoughts as to why, but am interested in your thoughts, since I do see some comparison here.

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 06:39 PM
:doh:

Listen to me carefully:

WE WON THE F**KING SUPER BOWL!!!!

Is that not good enough? We have to be #1 in offense for it to count??? :rofl:

Anyway, winning the super bowl is EXACTLY what I call success. Not sure what you call success.

Listen to me carefully:

We won the SB despite BA not because of him. Do you remember how bad the line was all season and BA refused to call quick slants and screens? Do you remember us having one of the best D's EVER??? Let's look at the Steelers scoring Offense in the super bowl.

Jeff Reed kicked a 18-yard field goal 3 - 0 (field goal in red zone)

Gary Russell rushed to the right for 1 yard gain (Jeff Reed made PAT) 10 - 0

James Harrison intercepted Kurt Warner for 100 yards (Jeff Reed made PAT) 17 - 7 (D scored)

Jeff Reed kicked a 21-yard field goal 20 - 7 (red zone filed goal)

ARI SY Safety 20 - 16

Ben Roethlisberger passed to Santonio Holmes to the right for 6 yard gain (most of that drive was no huddle)

You were saying? :coffee:

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Listen to me carefully:

We won the SB despite BA not because of him. Do you remember how bad the line was all season and BA refused to call quick slants and screens? Do you remember us having one of the best D's EVER??? Let's look at the Steelers scoring Offense in the super bowl.

Jeff Reed kicked a 18-yard field goal 3 - 0 (field goal in red zone)

Gary Russell rushed to the right for 1 yard gain (Jeff Reed made PAT) 10 - 0

James Harrison intercepted Kurt Warner for 100 yards (Jeff Reed made PAT) 17 - 7 (D scored)

Jeff Reed kicked a 21-yard field goal 20 - 7 (red zone filed goal)

ARI SY Safety 20 - 16

Ben Roethlisberger passed to Santonio Holmes to the right for 6 yard gain (Jeff Reed made PAT)

You were saying? :coffee:

I remember that Arizona's TE was WIDE OPEN in the endzone for their first TD.
I remember that they were about to score again when James Harrison made an outstanding play (wasn't coached, wasn't anyone but him until the run back). You might say he executed to perfection.
I remember shitting bricks though because all of a sudden Larry Fitzgerald was getting behind our #1 defense (he was being covered...and I use the term loosely, by Ike Tayor).

Whose playbook do think those plays came from on the game winning drive? Just curious.

:coffee:

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 06:52 PM
I remember that Arizona's TE was WIDE OPEN in the endzone for their first TD.
I remember that they were about to score again when James Harrison made an outstanding play (wasn't coached, wasn't anyone but him until the run back). You might say he executed to perfection.
I remember shitting bricks though because all of a sudden Larry Fitzgerald was getting behind our #1 defense (he was being covered...and I use the term loosely, by Ike Tayor).

Whose playbook do think those plays came from on the game winning drive? Just curious.

:coffee:

And do you think our outstanding OC is the reason we made it to the big game? Just curious.

edit: Not saying that BA doesn't have some nice passing plays, just saying he doesn't know when put the brakes on and how to use his players talent to the fullest.

Do you not think that Ben should have been coached up/mandated to get rid of the ball? Do you not think some shorter routes should have been called instead of bombs away all the damn time? If not I guess we really have nothing more to discuss.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
And do you think our outstanding OC is the reason we made it to the big game? Just curious.

Do I think he IS the reason? Of course not. Which highlights my point actually:
No one man is responsible for all our successes, just like no one man can be responsible for all our failures.

...Kordell notwithstanding.

You obviously think that despite running our offense into the playoffs 2 out of 3 years including one SB victory, all the blame for our 6-7 season belongs to him. You've even gone as far as highlighting our failures in a Super Bowl victory. So what would you have done differently Mr. Monday Morning QB? After Heath Miller catches that pass at the 6 (I believe), take over and tell me how easily we should have scored a TD against the NFC champion (and red hot at the time) Arizona Cardinals?

:popcorn:

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 07:09 PM
edit: Not saying that BA doesn't have some nice passing plays, just saying he doesn't know when put the brakes on and how to use his players talent to the fullest.

Do you not think that Ben should have been coached up/mandated to get rid of the ball? Do you not think some shorter routes should have been called instead of bombs away all the damn time? If not I guess we really have nothing more to discuss.

Not every WR runs a go route.

Ben should do what Ben is comfortable with PERIOD. Before him, we hadn't had a QB capable of winning it all since I was a kid. You seem to be more concerned with stupid ass stats than anything else.

"Stats are for losers." - Coach Will Muschamp

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm not saying that he is 100% responsible for our blunders, but what I am saying is that he shouldn't get any more passes -- not with all this talent that we have on the O side of the ball. I'm just sick of him wasting one of the most talented Offenses in the NFL by his lack of EXECUTION as a play caller. We do agree to some point. We have huge needs at the corner and depth at the safety position -- no doubt -- and that is huge. But Arians time has hopefully expired and we can move on.

And no, I don't care about stats at all, just making a point.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not saying that he is 100% responsible for our blunders, but what I am saying is that he shouldn't get any more passes -- not with all this talent that we have on the O side of the ball. I'm just sick of him wasting one of the most talented Offenses in the NFL by his lackof EXECUTION as a play caller. We do agree to some point. We have huge needs at the corner and depth at the safety position -- no doubt -- and that is huge. But Arians time has hopefully expired and we can move on.

And no, I don't care about stats at all, just making a point.

With all that "talent" what positions are the most talented?

QB, WR and TE perhaps? :noidea:

Lack of execution as a play caller makes no sense to me. But I understand that you are displeased with his play calling.

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 07:26 PM
With all that "talent" what positions are the most talented?

QB, WR and TE perhaps? :noidea:

Lack of execution as a play caller makes no sense to me. But I understand that you are displeased with his play calling.

Rashard Mendenhall isn't to shabby ya know? If he was given more of a chance I think you agree with me. Unfortunately, he didn't.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Rashard Mendenhall isn't to shabby ya know? If he was given more of a chance I think you agree with me. Unfortunately, he didn't.

Mendy should be a bad ass for us for years to come and yes, I think he should be running it up the gut more than he is. Where I dislike Arians is that we don't use a pure FB enough. But again, we've won with him and we're failing in all three aspects (offense, defense and ST's) and he's only partly to blame for the offensive aspect.

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Mendy should be a bad ass for us for years to come and yes, I think he should be running it up the gut more than he is. Where I dislike Arians is that we don't use a pure FB enough. But again, we've won with him and we're failing in all three aspects (offense, defense and ST's) and he's only partly to blame for the offensive aspect.

We can agree there. I remember WP speaking out on that last year as well.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
We can agree there. I remember WP speaking out on that last year as well.

That's correct. And do you remember what Tomlin told him?

"Each morning I walk past five Lombardi Trophies, not five rushing titles."

One of my favorite Tomlinisms.

SteelMusic
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
That's correct. And do you remember what Tomlin told him?

"Each morning I walk past five Lombardi Trophies, not five rushing titles."

One of my favorite Tomlinisms.

Yea, much better than the Unleashing hell bit.

Steelerfreak58
12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Krieder.... enough said.

NJarhead
12-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Krieder.... enough said.

*sniffle*

I DO miss that guy.