PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bracing for Colbert departure

supa_fly_steeler
12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/13/steelers-bracing-for-colbert-departure/

Long before a certain late-night faux news anchor made the surname "Colbert" famous via a fancy pronunciation that renders the "T" silent, Kevin Colbert (kol'-bert) was grinding away in the bowels of the Steelers organization.

Colbert became the top guy in the Pittsburgh front office after former coach Bill Cowher won a stare down with Tom Donahoe, and Colbert has been responsible for putting together a team that has won two Super Bowls in four seasons.

But it has been assumed since Cowher left the team that if/when he returns as a coach he'll make a run at a reunion with Colbert. Indeed, on a couple of occasions over the past two years, we've caught wind of rumors that Cowher has placed Colbert and cap-and-contracts guy Omar Khan on stand by, in the event Cowher emerges from semi-retirement.

This year, with Cowher's return looking more and more inevitable, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that the Steelers already are discussing potential G.M. candidates, in the event Colbert leaves.

But Mort points out that it's not a done deal that Colbert will depart and that, in the end, his loyalty to the Rooneys could supersede his loyalty to Cowher.

If Colbert chooses to leave -- and if the Steelers let him walk away despite the terms of this contract -- we applaud the Steelers for adopting the right attitude toward its employees. If they don't want to be there, don't force them to be there. Instead, let them leave and hire someone who's happy and motivated to be part of the team.

Given the Steelers' history and tradition, the Steelers will have a few options for replacing Colbert, we think.

On another website link, i heard according to league sources he has more royalty to the rooneys than colbert.

SteelCityMom
12-14-2009, 09:03 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/13/steelers-bracing-for-colbert-departure/

On another website link, i heard according to league sources he has more royalty to the rooneys than colbert.

I hope it doesn't happen...that would be a rough day for sure.

And did you mean to say "he has more loyalty to the Rooney's than to Cowher"? I just didn't understand that last line there...but I'm blonde and that sometimes gets in the way of things lol.

stillers4me
12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
I hope it doesn't happen...that would be a rough day for sure.

And did you mean to say "he has more loyalty to the Rooney's than to Cowher"? I just didn't understand that last line there...but I'm blonde and that sometimes gets in the way of things lol.

I thiught the Rooney's were royalty.

Now I'm really confused.

vindrow
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I would believe this article before I would believe anything Florio has to say:

Check the bolded part.

Breaking News: Coaching Changes Coming For Pittsburgh Steelers!
Nick Signorelli
http://bleacherreport.com/arti....burgh-steelers

How does a team that wins the Super Bowl, and returns 20 of 22 starters, fall to 6-7? The players on the field have already proven they have the ability to win it all, so in my opinion, it has to come down to coaching.

Apparently, the Steelers think the same way that I do.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reported today that there are changes coming to the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Special Team coach Bob Ligashesky will be released at the end of the season. The Steelers special teams have been anything BUT special this season, allowing huge kick off returns against the Browns, Vikings, Chiefs, and numerous times, the special teams have allowed players to get close on punts as well.

Bruce Arians is also in a good deal of trouble, according to Schefter. The Steelers will be either demoting or firing him at the end of the season.

Arians has become one of the most predictable coordinators in the NFL, failing more than he succeeds. Too many times the Steelers are unable to punch the ball into the end zone once they reach the red zone.

With all the weapons on offense, this Steelers team should be one of the most high scoring units in the history of the Steelers.

In addition, offensive line coach Larry Zierlein will also be released at the end of the season.

The good news, per Schefter, is that Steelers Director of Player Personnel Kevin Colbert will not be leaving the Steelers, even if Bill Cowher returns to the side lines of another team.

It has been long rumored that once Cowher comes back to the NFL, Colbert would be the first person to join him with his new club. Speaking with people close to Colbert, they say that it is not so.

According to sources, Colbert has more loyalty to the Rooney family and the Steelers than he does to Cowher, and that even if Cowher comes back, Colbert plans on staying with the Steelers.

mesaSteeler
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Guys I hate to tell you this but this has already been posted.

Check the thread.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=44339

supa_fly_steeler
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
yea i meant cowher**** sorry llol my bad

madtowndrunkard
12-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I'd love to see Colbert and Cowher reunited.....right here in Pittsburgh.

KeiselPower99
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Colbert aint going anywhere.

stillers4me
12-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Colbert aint going anywhere.

And Cowher ain't coming back.

NJarhead
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:doh:

Psyychoward86
12-14-2009, 11:07 PM
oh.....boy

Galax Steeler
12-15-2009, 04:55 AM
I would hate to see Colbert leave but if he decides to that is his choice and he has done one hell of a job in Pittsburgh.