PDA

View Full Version : Its nearly mock draft season

Aussie_steeler
12-15-2009, 03:59 AM
I am getting itchy feet so I have put together a couple of mock draft scenarios for consideration. I have given the steelers two comp picks in round 4

Mock One;

1. Rolondo McClain Bama ILB 6'4 256 - Levon Kirkland clone

2. Nate Allen Sth Florida FS 6'1 206 - Ballhawk to patrol the deep

3. Toby Gerhart Stanford RB / FB 6'1 235 - Runs, blocks and scores

4a. John Jerry Miss OG 6'5 350 - Run Blocking mauler

4b. Rennie Curran Georgia SS 5'11 225 - convert to SS to backup Troy

4c. Jerrell Powe Miss NT 6'2 340 - Monster NT for the future

5. Kade Weston DE Georgia 6'5 325 - Good Motor and strong against run

6. Nate Bynum TE Pitt 6'3 255 - solid TE / good team man

7. Kerry Meier WR Kansas 6'3 220 - just keeps catching balls (this years Austin Collie)

I know that I am short a OLB in this mock - address that in FA

Mock two

1. Dan Williams NT Tenn 6'2 327 - monster in the middle

2. Eric Norwood OLB Sth Carolina 6'0 252 - backup OLB with a pass rush

3. Kyle Calloway OT Iowa 6'7 315 - superceeds Tony Hills and future starter at RT

4a. Dunta Williams FS Nth Carolina 6'2 205 - true FS

4b. Myron Rolle SS FSU 6'2 223 - smart, mobile SS who is an upgrade over Carter

4c. Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky 6-2 258 - not mcclain but a true 3-4 ILB

5. Vladimir Ducasse OG Mass 6'5 330 - could handle OG and OT (real sleeper)

6. Leigh Tiffin K Bama 6'1 212 - Time to replace Reed. Solid Leg

7. Kerry Meier WR Kansas 6'3 220 - my pimp for 2010. I was big on Austin Collie. I like guys who just keep catching passes with minimal fuss,

Have fun with these two options.
Pick them to pieces.
But more importantly - lets get some of your mocks rolling. I can smell a LLT mock draft thread very soon ( it is only one loss away, but hopefully in a few more weeks)

Mr. Goosemahn
12-15-2009, 04:57 AM
I am getting itchy feet so I have put together a couple of mock draft scenarios for consideration. I have given the steelers two comp picks in round 4

Mock One;

7. Kerry Meier WR Kansas 6'3 220 - just keeps catching balls (this years Austin Collie)

Mock two

1. Dan Williams NT Tenn 6'2 327 - monster in the middle

2. Eric Norwood OLB Sth Carolina 6'0 252 - backup OLB with a pass rush

3. Kyle Calloway OT Iowa 6'7 315 - superceeds Tony Hills and future starter at RT

4a. Dunta Williams FS Nth Carolina 6'2 205 - true FS

4b. Myron Rolle SS FSU 6'2 223 - smart, mobile SS who is an upgrade over Carter

4c. Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky 6-2 258 - not mcclain but a true 3-4 ILB

6. Leigh Tiffin K Bama 6'1 212 - Time to replace Reed. Solid Leg

7. Kerry Meier WR Kansas 6'3 220 - my pimp for 2010. I was big on Austin Collie. I like guys who just keep catching passes with minimal fuss,

Have fun with these two options.
Pick them to pieces.
But more importantly - lets get some of your mocks rolling. I can smell a LLT mock draft thread very soon ( it is only one loss away, but hopefully in a few more weeks)

Hey, I don't post much here, but I do on another site, and overall pretty good mocks.

Quick pointers:

I seriously doubt we get 2 4th round Comp picks. I think that if we get lucky we get one for McFadden, and a 5th for Washington.

Are you having us as a top 10 pick?

McClain is a stud. If we land him, we get a vocal leader who's a devastating defensive force. Don't think he falls that much though.

Nate Allen is a great player, and am happy with this pick. I'd also look at Earl Thomas from UT, Chad Jones from LSU, or Reshad Jones from Georgia. Jones has the best physical abilities, but is still somewhat raw. Jones is a beast. Allen is also great.

Gerhart would be a great pick in the third.

Big Vlad is getting some 2nd round consideration right about now, don't think he's available in the 5th.

And now my mock, as you've asked us all to create some and I'll support the cause.

Assuming we wind up picking somewhere between 10-15.

1. Joe Haden - CB - Florida
Best corner in the draft brings talent to an area of need.

2. Brandon Spikes - ILB - Florida
Surprised to see him here? He's falling like Maualuga. Thumper ILB to compliment Timmons.

3. Ras-I Dowling - CB/S - Virginia
Not the fastest and some argue that he's limited to zone coverage, but he's got one thing that you can't teach: size. 6'2, 200 lbs. and brings position flexibility, something Tomlin loves to have. Could have a Sean Smith type of rise soon though.

4.a) Tyson Alualu - DT/DE - California
The amount of talent at the DT position for this draft is ridiculous, and that's the reason why Alualu might fall. A long guy who plays with incredible leverage, he's played a 3-4 DE in college, which would make his transition easier.

4.b) Freddie Barnes - WR - Bowling Green
The guy tore it up this year with 138 catches, 1551 yards, and 16 TD's. We need WR depth, as Sweed has yet to prove himself and Ward won't play forever.

5.a) Torrell Troup - NT - Central Florida
Big NT who gives the D-Line a much needed infusion of youth.

5.b) Austen Lane - DE/OLB - Murray State
6'6 and 260 lbs, guy who's a pass-rushing demon. Could elevate his stock even higher.

6.) Rusty Smith - QB - Florida Atlantic
Batch has gotten injured in two consecutive seasons and his body will not take the punishment it used to. Could retire this season, and we need someone who can fill the #3 QB spot. Dixon showed he can be the #2, so we start looking for a replacement. Smith is a big QB with good upside.

7.) Leigh Tiffin - K - Alabama
Reed's usually on target, but he missed three costly FG's that wound up being two losses. Who knows what winds up happening, but in case he doesn't come back, here's Tiffin!

Aussie_steeler
12-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Hey, I don't post much here, but I do on another site, and overall pretty good mocks.

Quick pointers:

I seriously doubt we get 2 4th round Comp picks. I think that if we get lucky we get one for McFadden, and a 5th for Washington.

Are you having us as a top 10 pick?

McClain is a stud. If we land him, we get a vocal leader who's a devastating defensive force. Don't think he falls that much though.

Nate Allen is a great player, and am happy with this pick. I'd also look at Earl Thomas from UT, Chad Jones from LSU, or Reshad Jones from Georgia. Jones has the best physical abilities, but is still somewhat raw. Jones is a beast. Allen is also great.

Gerhart would be a great pick in the third.

Big Vlad is getting some 2nd round consideration right about now, don't think he's available in the 5th.

And now my mock, as you've asked us all to create some and I'll support the cause.

Assuming we wind up picking somewhere between 10-15.

1. Joe Haden - CB - Florida
Best corner in the draft brings talent to an area of need.

Surprised to see him here? He's falling like Maualuga. Thumper ILB to compliment Timmons.

3. Ras-I Dowling - CB/S - Virginia
Not the fastest and some argue that he's limited to zone coverage, but he's got one thing that you can't teach: size. 6'2, 200 lbs. and brings position flexibility, something Tomlin loves to have. Could have a Sean Smith type of rise soon though.

4.a) Tyson Alualu - DT/DE - California
The amount of talent at the DT position for this draft is ridiculous, and that's the reason why Alualu might fall. A long guy who plays with incredible leverage, he's played a 3-4 DE in college, which would make his transition easier.

4.b) Freddie Barnes - WR - Bowling Green
The guy tore it up this year with 138 catches, 1551 yards, and 16 TD's. We need WR depth, as Sweed has yet to prove himself and Ward won't play forever.

5.a) Torrell Troup - NT - Central Florida
Big NT who gives the D-Line a much needed infusion of youth.

5.b) Austen Lane - DE/OLB - Murray State
6'6 and 260 lbs, guy who's a pass-rushing demon. Could elevate his stock even higher.

6.) Rusty Smith - QB - Florida Atlantic
Batch has gotten injured in two consecutive seasons and his body will not take the punishment it used to. Could retire this season, and we need someone who can fill the #3 QB spot. Dixon showed he can be the #2, so we start looking for a replacement. Smith is a big QB with good upside.

7.) Leigh Tiffin - K - Alabama
Reed's usually on target, but he missed three costly FG's that wound up being two losses. Who knows what winds up happening, but in case he doesn't come back, here's Tiffin!

Thanks for the feedback.:drink:

I have Haden ranked in front of McClain ( but its very close). I would actually prefer to go with Haden. I think he is a true shutdown corner. EIther of the two would be unbelievable.

Love Spikes and Dowling in 2 & 3 (although I think Dowling moves into the 2nd. He will be converted to FS IMO)

THe middle rounds are all solid picks. Alualu, Troup and Lane fill needs. I am a big fan of possession accumulaters at WR in college. Not sure about Rusty Smith. I had an eye on him early but his stock seems to be slipping. I guess he gets taken on physical attributes. I am guessing you fill SS and O line via Free agency.

Good balance to the mock. The hardest position to find for me this year in the mid rounds is OLB.

SteelMember
12-15-2009, 07:52 AM

I have heard rumblings of him slipping also. It will have a lot to do with his 40 time. If he gets between a 4.8/5.0, he could fall to the 2nd.

NIce looking mock. :thmbup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2009, 11:33 AM
lets get some of your mocks rolling. I can smell a LLT mock draft thread very soon ( it is only one loss away, but hopefully in a few more weeks)

Yesterday I posted an updated full mock in the "NFL Draft " forum. :chuckle:
(also have itchy feet).

Here is the latest versions of a possible steelers draft. based on us picking in the 15-20 range. I also went with compensatory picks in the 3rd and 5th.

Version A
1) Dan Williams, NT, Tennesee
2) Jason Fox, OT, Miami
3a) Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
3b) Robert Johnson,FS, Utah
4) Barry Church, SS, Toledo
5a) Leigh Tiffin, K, Alabama
5b) Joe Webb, QB, UAB
6) Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh
7) Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State

Version B
1) Joe Haden, CB, Florida
2) Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
3a) Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa
3b) Robert Johnson, FS, Utah
4) Torrell Troup, NT, Central Florida
5a) Jeffrey Fitzgerald, DE, Kansas State
5b) Arthur Moats, OLB, James Madison
6) Aaron Pettrey, K, Ohio State
7) Michael Hoomanawanui,TE, Illinois

supa_fly_steeler
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
if we could land

mcclain/haden with spikes/cody and michah johnson i would jizz everywhere, a great draft.

is spikes going to drop with that incident, he didn't look too good in the SEC championship.

i think we need mcclain, we need a new leader with farrior going to be gone in a few years, sad i know but we dont have any other leaders, polamalu is too quite and clark will also be gone with retirement probably.

:(. we could get an awesome draft out of this.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2009, 12:45 PM
if we could land

mcclain/haden with spikes/cody and michah johnson i would jizz everywhere, a great draft.

is spikes going to drop with that incident, he didn't look too good in the SEC championship.

Spikes is showing up everywhere from last half of 1st round to the first half of the second round....

I think we could possibly get McClain/Cody/Spikes in the first...but not two of them. Johnson is climbing boards, but we could get him in the second..so I would eliminate McClaine/Spikes and look at NT/Safety in the first.

IF Haden is there...we take him, and shuffle our draft around a bit, but I still think we will go with either NT's Williams or Cody.

Aussie_steeler
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Version B
1) Joe Haden, CB, Florida
2) Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
3a) Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa
3b) Robert Johnson, FS, Utah
4) Torrell Troup, NT, Central Florida
5a) Jeffrey Fitzgerald, DE, Kansas State
5b) Arthur Moats, OLB, James Madison
6) Aaron Pettrey, K, Ohio State
7) Michael Hoomanawanui,TE, Illinois

Really like this one so far LLT. Those first four picks really hit the spot. I think Haden would be one of the best upgrades possible for the secondary.

Micah Johnson is a bit of a wildcard for me at the moment. I think he will probably wind up being an early 3rd round pick if McClain comes out. If McClain stays his value then dramatically increases. They appear to be the only two real thumpers at ILB for a 3-4 D.

LLT - I found myself getting involved in a wrestling thread just recently. I knew then that I needed to refocus and get back to important things in life ----- Mock drafts........:thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Really like this one so far LLT. Those first four picks really hit the spot. I think Haden would be one of the best upgrades possible for the secondary.

Micah Johnson is a bit of a wildcard for me at the moment. I think he will probably wind up being an early 3rd round pick if McClain comes out. If McClain stays his value then dramatically increases. They appear to be the only two real thumpers at ILB for a 3-4 D.

LLT - I found myself getting involved in a wrestling thread just recently. I knew then that I needed to refocus and get back to important things in life ----- Mock drafts........:thumbsup:

I have to reign myself in...I have about 300 scenerios going through my head....Do they eventually move Fox into Farriors slot...and if so will they pass on an ILB? Do they feel that they have a future starter in Burnett...and pass on a CB? ....Do they feel the sacks are the fault of the O-line or the fault of the QB?

I think we HAVE to get a NT and a Safety...we HAVE to get a OT and a Kicker....Tomlin has shown a wiingness to pick up the BPA at the expense of depth at a different position, which makes predicting his drafts VERY hard. How do you know who is going to be left on the board after the first two rounds? It becomes something of a tea leaves and crystal ball "science".

Texasteel
12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I have to reign myself in...I have about 300 scenerios going through my head....Do they eventually move Fox into Farriors slot...and if so will they pass on an ILB? Do they feel that they have a future starter in Burnett...and pass on a CB? ....Do they feel the sacks are the fault of the O-line or the fault of the QB?

I think we HAVE to get a NT and a Safety...we HAVE to get a OT and a Kicker....Tomlin has shown a wiingness to pick up the BPA at the expense of depth at a different position, which makes predicting his drafts VERY hard. How do you know who is going to be left on the board after the first two rounds? It becomes something of a tea leaves and crystal ball "science".

It's always a crap shoot this time of year bud, but as I remember by draft day last year we had a pretty good idea want was happening. I still think that if Wood was available he would be a Steeler now, and we had Hood coming into the picture the last 2 or 3 weeks before the draft. After we see just where we do pick and what underclassmen are coming out, I think things will start to come into focus. We have some pretty good football minds here.

Your right at least with the 1st round pick it's always a good idea to go with BAP, normally the 2nd round as well.

By the way, I like version B as well, but would like to see Church in there somehow.

Aussie_steeler
12-16-2009, 04:23 AM

Looks like Cinderella just awoke from his sleep.

Todd McShay has this guy listed as a first round pick in his latest Pay Per View Mock. Sorry no link as it is a pay site.

Interestingly McShay had the steelers taking OT Campbell at pick #12

SteelMember
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
It's always a crap shoot this time of year bud, but as I remember by draft day last year we had a pretty good idea want was happening. I still think that if Wood was available he would be a Steeler now, and we had Hood coming into the picture the last 2 or 3 weeks before the draft. After we see just where we do pick and what underclassmen are coming out, I think things will start to come into focus. We have some pretty good football minds here.

Your right at least with the 1st round pick it's always a good idea to go with BAP, normally the 2nd round as well.

When's the deadline for that... end of January sometime.

This will be crucial information before we can proceed with any hope of accuracy imho. Looking at the seniors is a great start, but there are always undercalssmen that shake up the pecking order from a talent level. Guess I'm just stating the obvious here. :chuckle:

Will a guy like O'dowd change all our minds if he's there for us this year. :tap:

If we are going to end up slotted as a mid-teen pick, we will undoubtably get an impact player in the 1st. As to what position... we have plenty of need. (NT,CB,ILB,FS,SS) I don't think we can be too disappointed with the players available.

Todd McShay has this guy listed as a first round pick in his latest Pay Per View Mock. Sorry no link as it is a pay site.

Yup. Tackles are always big movers.

You had him as a possible 5th, no? McShay has him as a 1st. There's got to be some middle ground. There can't be 3-5 1st rounders from every position. There's mathematically just not enough picks. Someone's got to fall at some point. Into our laps, I hope. :thumbsup:

At one point, I was seeing mocks with up to 6 safety's in the first. I just can't see that happening.

Sharkissle29
12-16-2009, 02:19 PM
isnt micah johnson projected to go within the first 2 rounds???

just curious...i thought i saw that somewhere.

i would love to have either mcclain, cody or haden as our first round pick!

Aussie_steeler
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM

He is moving up but not that fast. Currently still sitting in the middle rounds. If McClain returns he will definitely move up

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_ILB

MasterOfPuppets
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM

not impossible.... campbell will put up impressive #'s the combine and shoot up the boards the same way jason smith did last year. NOBODY was talking about smith last year during the season.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM

I have seen Micah Johnson in the 2nd as well. I think that is where he is going to end up eventually. (Anywhere from mid 2nd to mid 3rd).

I use nfldraftscout.com as a ruler, but try and do enough research to make an educated guess as to whether they will slide are rise after workouts and bowl games. Johnson is a beast and is going t get alot of attention if the post season, so even though they have him as a 3-4 rounder....I think he moves up a solid round by draft day.

St33lersguy
12-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Mock One;

Do we really need a RB? I know Willie Parker will not be retained but I feel there are bigger areas of need not addressed at this point

Steely McSmash
12-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Do we really need a RB? I know Willie Parker will not be retained but I feel there are bigger areas of need not addressed at this point

I don't think RB should be one of the top 3 picks.

Another piece of the puzzle will be what the FO does with Hampton. Last year they seemed to hedge a lot of bets before the draft so they weren't forced to draft out of need.

I think we need a new NT or else you have one of the end sized guys in the middle.

I would say my mock would go something like this:

1. NT Dan Williams(Tenn) or Cody (Bama)
2. S Stuckey (Kansas)
3. OLB Ricky Sapp (Clemson)
4. OT Kyle Calloway (Iowa)
4b ILB Micah Johnson (Kentucky)
4c OG
5 WR
6 RB
7 K

Aussie_steeler
12-17-2009, 02:33 AM

3rd down conversion and red zone scoring are a real issue IMO. You can afford to have a little swagger when you know you can run it down the throat of someone even when you telegraph it. Let Gerhart run it in behind a run blocking guard and a fullback.

I just dont think this team has the killer instinct in short yardage situations. This team has lost a helluva lot of close games and it comes down to the special teams not giving up big plays, converting 3rd downs and punching the ball into the endzone.

Gerhart can play a role in 2 of those areas. My reference point --- A healthy Marion Barber has shown his value to the cowboys ( 3rd round Rb supporting a 1st round starter)