PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need another " Joey Porter " type

Venom
12-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Steelers need that mouth again . Before every game , Porter looked for a fight verbally . On the sidelines , he would get the Defense up and ready to go . We don't have that now. Farrior is not that type. After seeing the Browns game , Porter came to my mind. How many 3rd and long are you guys going to give up ? Mind you , we are talking bout the Browns !!!!!!!!!! :banging:

Steelers>NFL
12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Farrior is the leader of this defense. Maybe he needs to open his mouth a bit.
Even if it is not his style. At least then he would get people's attention.

fansince'76
12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
We need a guy who shoots his mouth off all week about an opponent and then does absolutely nothing during the actual game (see Miami vs. New England earlier this year), for about $6-$8 mil per season? OK.

simonsfs30
12-15-2009, 11:02 AM
We need a guy who shoots his mouth off all week about an opponent and then does absolutely nothing during the actual game (see Miami vs. New England earlier this year), for about $6-$8 mil per season? OK.

lol, i think he meant someone who pumps up our team before and during a game not exacty a joey porter,

and yes i think we need a leader

fansince'76
12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
lol, i think he meant someone who pumps up our team before and during a game not exacty a joey porter,

and yes i think we need a leader

Seems to me they did just fine last year.

BlastFurnace
12-15-2009, 11:25 AM

LOL...exactly. He did the same thing when he was with us his last season here.

Dodt
12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
don't you mean greg Lloyd

Steeldude
12-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Steelers need that mouth again . Before every game , Porter looked for a fight verbally . On the sidelines , he would get the Defense up and ready to go . We don't have that now. Farrior is not that type. After seeing the Browns game , Porter came to my mind. How many 3rd and long are you guys going to give up ? Mind you , we are talking bout the Browns !!!!!!!!!! :banging:

please no. i do not want another big mouth who fails to back it up. lead by example. i was elated when they finally got rid of porter.

vasteeler
12-15-2009, 11:58 AM
please no. i do not want another big mouth who fails to back it up. lead by example. i was elated when they finally got rid of porter.

me too , i have said this before and i stll beleive his mouth was very embarrassing

stlrtruck
12-15-2009, 01:37 PM
What the defense needs is to learn how to tackle. They did just fine last year without a loud mouth on the field. Their play has nothing to do with verbal assaults but more so on the lack of performance, execution, and technique.

CargoJon
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
What the defense needs is to learn how to tackle. They did just fine last year without a loud mouth on the field. Their play has nothing to do with verbal assaults but more so on the lack of performance, execution, and technique.
I'd take a kicker that knew how to tackle :coffee:

SteelerFanInStl
12-15-2009, 04:14 PM

:iagree:

harts
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM
what would another "Porter" do except rile up the opposition more who is already riled up to beat the defending champs...

Steelers cant cash checks right now so they shouldn't be opening their mouths

From what I am reading and seeing my conclusion is Tomlin kind of let up on them....
It wont happen again though
MT will return to the MT that he used to be before the start of the last year.

I also Believe the team does not believe in Ben as their leader....... Ben is not Tom Brady in terms of personality.... on this team Hines Ward is the person they respect..

What Hines said about Ben said a lot about how Ben is viewed on the team IMO

You live and learn but the Steelers will be better in the end

Steeldude
12-16-2009, 01:32 AM
the defense needs a cerebral player who leads by example ala jack lambert. lambert was vocal, but in a constructive way. he knew the defense and knew how to instruct.

augustashark
12-16-2009, 02:27 AM
LOL...exactly. He did the same thing when he was with us his last season here.

me too , i have said this before and i stll beleive his mouth was very embarrassing

I agree! Who would ever want the guy who when he retires will be the only 100 sack 10+ Int player in league history! (unless I missed something)

Guy never backed up anything! F him and they way he played in the run for XL!

:coffee::noidea::huh::rolleyes::jerkit::alcoholic

:coffee: and one for good measure for you FS.

SteelersMongol
12-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Those of U who R bashing Joey, give it a rest. When Joey was with us they guys loved him & backed him up. Now he's gone, & lost few games against the teams, like the Pats, all of a sudden he's a worthless? Wow. U guys R unbelievable.

V do need a loud mouth in that locker room. Somebody needs 2 bring the fire.

T.Richardson
12-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Yes, we need a guy who got shot in the butt.

Rick5895
12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Those of U who R bashing Joey, give it a rest. When Joey was with us they guys loved him & backed him up. Now he's gone, & lost few games against the teams, like the Pats, all of a sudden he's a worthless? Wow. U guys R unbelievable.

Right on!! I loved Porter with the Steelers, except for his last season here , here was a dominant player who backed up everything he said on the field. He was a leader, he played with passion and fire, something that has been missing the last few games, (since the defeat in KC actually)
Finding someone like him in the draft would be great for the future of the Steelers.
I can see Woodley evolving into that kind of player for us. He is beginning to take a leadership role in small steps now.

memphissteelergirl
12-16-2009, 11:28 AM

Agree 100 percent. :thumbsup:

Now did I agree with everything Peezy did? No
Was he a guy who brough a sense of "nastiness" to the D? Absolutely! I for one miss that about him. Sorry for ya if you don't agree.

And some of you guys are really quick to forget the crucial plays he made against Indy during the playoff run that got us to SB XL.

simonsfs30
12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Seems to me they did just fine last year.

they said foote was the big leader inside the locker room, farriors is a leader just in tackles, troy is a beast in the game but who is our peyton manning in our defense???? i saw last game ryan clark making adjustments, i would like to have someone like urlacher (to read defenses) and help his teamattes

RoethlisBURGHer
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM

Just like in 2006 when Porter ran his mouth and we went 8-8, and he only showed up against crap teams.

SteelersMongol
12-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Just like in 2006 when Porter ran his mouth and we went 8-8, and he only showed up against crap teams.

But then at least somebody showed up against the crappy teams. :chuckle: This last 5 games against the crappy teams, NOBODY showed up, remember? :wink02:

mesaSteeler
12-16-2009, 08:40 PM
We don't need another Joey Porter type.

What we need is another Jack Lambert type.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I think Woodley will evolve to be the leader on Defense. Thing is, that he has a lot of prominent vets in front of him still in Farrior, Hampton, Smith, etc. He leads by example and I believe will be the guy when Potsie retires.

SteelGhost
12-17-2009, 01:22 PM

+1 :applaudit: :tt03:

Indo
12-17-2009, 02:05 PM

Amen

Do you think he can be coaxed to come out of retirement? He could either play or just become the new MC ("Motivational Coordinator")

I miss Jack

markymarc
12-18-2009, 02:49 PM
We need a few things to turn this around and having a "Joey Porter" type player is definitely NOT one of them.