PDA

View Full Version : The Walrus is meeting with Browns?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-15-2009, 12:22 PM
BEREA -- Not only is Mike Holmgren continuing a visit with the Browns today, but The Plain Dealer has learned that Bob LaMonte, Holmgren's long-time friend and agent, is with him.

That means the Browns likely are negotiating to wrap up a deal to make Holmgren the Browns' head of football operations.

LaMonte is known to get involved with his many coaching and executive clients only when a deal is near.

Holmgren was the No. 1 choice of Lerner to revamp his football operations a year ago, but Holmgren decided to take the 2009 season off after retiring as Seattle coach.

Browns spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz confirmed Holmgren's visit, which included a very public dinner with Lerner and others at a local restaurant.

"He is visiting the Browns," Bonsiewicz said. "He got here (Monday) and is here today. He was invited by Randy Lerner and accepted the invitation. That's all we've got to say at this time."

Bonsiewicz said he did not know how long Holmgren would be in town and whether a deal is being negotiated.

Holmgren coached in Seattle for 10 years and in Green Bay for seven, taking both teams to the Super Bowl and winning once with the Packers. He retired from coaching after the 2008 season and has decided he wants to run a club's front office rather than continue coaching.

Lerner has been mum on his plans other than to say he wants to hire a "serious, credible leader" to ravamp his team's beleaguered football operations.

Lerner recently added high-profile local lawyer Fred Nance to his organization as general counsel. In an interview with The Plain Dealer, Nance said, "I think there are good things to come in Berea."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/12/cleveland_browns_wining_and_di.html

Coo-coo-ka-chu.

xfl2001fan
12-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I think he'd be a good addition...not only would he be in to help turn the FO around (the biggest issue we've had since we came back) but Mangini will be gone. Might actually get a credible GM/Coach in.

Heard more rumors that if Holmgren does make it in, he'll try to bring Cowher into the mix. (Yeah, I expect that to go nowhere, but it's still interesting to me how that name continues to pop up...personally I think he's holding out for John Fox' job...but that's just me.)

I say bring back Marty!

revefsreleets
12-15-2009, 02:13 PM
No comment.

stlrtruck
12-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I think he'd be a good addition...not only would he be in to help turn the FO around (the biggest issue we've had since we came back) but Mangini will be gone. Might actually get a credible GM/Coach in.

Heard more rumors that if Holmgren does make it in, he'll try to bring Cowher into the mix. (Yeah, I expect that to go nowhere, but it's still interesting to me how that name continues to pop up...personally I think he's holding out for John Fox' job...but that's just me.)

I say bring back Marty!

Oh Marty Ball III

Really you would want that as a fan?

RoethlisBURGHer
12-15-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't think Cowher would want to work under Walrus. Not after walrus snubbed him after SB XL and then whined and whined about officiating after the game. I think Cowher lost a lot of respect for him after that.

As for him as a GM, he put together the Seattle team that went to SB XL, so I think he has an eye for talent and can be a good GM as long as that's his ONLY job.

Indo
12-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Oh good.

Now he can b*tch to the media about the bad officiating in favor of the Steelers TWICE a year...

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't think Cowher would want to work under Walrus. Not after walrus snubbed him after SB XL and then whined and whined about officiating after the game. I think Cowher lost a lot of respect for him after that.

As for him as a GM, he put together the Seattle team that went to SB XL, so I think he has an eye for talent and can be a good GM as long as that's his ONLY job.

Cowher is not coming to the Browns.

He's just not.

Defintly not after Holmgren is given the gig. that he probably would have wanted the most. He wants more power over things, not to share it with another coach like Holmgren.

Indo
12-15-2009, 04:39 PM

He's just not.

Defintly not after Holmgren is given the gig. that he probably would have wanted the most. He wants more power over things, not to share it with another coach like Holmgren.

:iagree:

Psyychoward86
12-15-2009, 04:42 PM
http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mik-holmgren.bmp

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Funny/walrus_mustache.jpg

xfl2001fan
12-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Oh Marty Ball III

Really you would want that as a fan?

Look at what we've got right now. Marty is a pretty good coach who knows how to use his talent...he's got a bad rep for being a terrible playoff coach...but let's face it...playoffs is not in most Browns fans vocabulary...except when used in Trivia Situations.

KeiselPower99
12-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Marty wants a GM job and dont wanna coach anymore.

tony hipchest
12-15-2009, 11:43 PM

He's just not.

"bu... bu... but used cars salesmen said so! :rolleyes:

No comment.

go figure. i thought as much, although that in itself is a (damning) comment.

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, the scuttlebutt around these parts is that this is going to happen.

That will spell the end of Mangini, I think...Steelers win or not.

stlrtruck
12-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Look at what we've got right now. Marty is a pretty good coach who knows how to use his talent...he's got a bad rep for being a terrible playoff coach...but let's face it...playoffs is not in most Browns fans vocabulary...except when used in Trivia Situations.

touche! :duel: