PDA

View Full Version : When do we start thinking about the future?

truesteelerfan
12-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree, we'll have some subtle changes, but nothing dramatic. Some ppl here suggest a fire sale, getting rid of our core of older players while they're still good for trade value, that's not our style. I agree with some suggestiions here that we'll make a few minor changes. Maybe a new coach here or there such as OL (and IMO hopefully a new OC) and the usual plan of signing our own FA, but we won't do a complete overhaul....Heck we didn't even do a complete overhaul on our coaching staff once Cowher left , do you think we would now? We're NOT a bad team, we're a good team who is playing poorly....very poorly. However IF we lose another game, if I were in Tomlin's shoes, shut down our vets, and give our young guys such as CB Lewis and Burnet all of the snaps....they always say practice can't simulate real game time speed....the team's we'll be playing are playing for their playoff lives, so it will be as real game speed as they'll get.....Play Mundy, as I said, Lewis and Burnet, Ziggy, Hills, Dixon, Sweed, that 3rd round pick at RG who's name I can't remember, try Logan at WR or RB to see if he's worth of brining back, etc....What you think? I'm not saying throw in the towel, just play the game and make the same calls the coaches would as if the starters were in, some of these guys are our future and when we're 6-7, its not the worst thing to do when to say we should think about the future.

:thumbsup:

stlrtruck
12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I start thinking about the future when the Steelers are officially out of the playoffs or the last game of the season - which ever comes later!

Tomlin still needs to put the team in the best possible position to win, regardless of the players' performance. However, it would be nice to see the younger players get some playing time and if they do well leave them out there. Otherwise, maintain the best possible position to win!

steelreserve
12-15-2009, 02:47 PM
If we get eliminated, I'm all in favor of giving some of the younger guys a look. No better way to find out if they're any good.

I don't believe in all this nonsense about half the team being gone next year. We've got three or four key guys who are on the bubble for one reason or another (Farrior, Hampton, Clark, Reed) and a few decisions to make about backups. I bet we probably fire a coach or two to send a message that things need to change, but for the most part the team will be back together and they'll be good. We'll try to draft three or four guys to replace other guys who will eventually retire. But aside from a couple of aberrations this year that remind me of CD skips, I expect pretty much business as usual.