PDA

View Full Version : GET TOBY GERHART AND GET HIM NOW!!

memphissteelergirl
12-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Y'all...I'm serious! It may be a looongshot, considering how close he was to winning the Heisman. But we need this guy yesterday! Strong, big bruiser with good footwork and can block!

FO...do NOT let him get away!! PLEASE!

(rant over)

Nadroj 20
12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Y'all...I'm serious! It may be a looongshot, considering how close he was to winning the Heisman. But we need this guy yesterday! Strong, big bruiser with good footwork and can block!

(rant over)

Eh, idk about that, we have mendy and moore so to use him at RB seems a little dumb to me even more so if FWP should come back (not saying he is)

Can Gerhart play Full Back? Hed be one of the most versatile fullbacks in the league and he could be a good lead blocker im sure and also have run/catch ability....now that would be awesome imo and it is just a thought

With all that being said i think we need to go D with the first pick.

Aussie_steeler
12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Watch him fall to the middle of the 3rd round pretty much around where the steelers will be drafting.

He will have similar draft stock to Brian Leonard from a few drafts past. I would take a run at him in the 3rd round

memphissteelergirl
12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Eh, idk about that, we have mendy and moore so to use him at RB seems a little dumb to me even more so if FWP should come back (not saying he is)

Can Gerhart play Full Back? Hed be one of the most versatile fullbacks in the league and he could be a good lead blocker im sure and also have run/catch ability....now that would be awesome imo and it is just a thought

With all that being said i think we need to go D with the first pick.

I understand your point, but the reasoning behind my "pimping" Gerhart is his "old school" toughness. I don't think we've had that in our running game for some time. I just think he can serve a lot of purposes for us.

But I also agree we need some help in the D, especially the secondary....definitely time to clean house there!

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
I understand your point, but the reasoning behind my "pimping" Gerhart is his "old school" toughness. I don't think we've had that in our running game for some time. I just think he can serve a lot of purposes for us.

But I also agree we need some help in the D, especially the secondary....definitely time to clean house there!

Ahhhhhh...an "old-school" steelers-chick!!! You rock!! I still long for the days when we punished defenses...they KNEW we were going to run it up the gut..and we STILL did it!!!

That being said..I DO think we will draft a Rb...but I think we will wait until the later rounds to either take a small school project or a Rb that may need a year or two to learn a playbook and get some weight room work.

I am (at this time) projected a Tennessee product as our 1st round pick. NT Dan Williams is a high character...high motor prospect that would look great beside Ziggy for the next 4 years!!!!

memphissteelergirl
12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Ahhhhhh...an "old-school" steelers-chick!!! You rock!! Aww thank ya, darlin' :hug: I still long for the days when we punished defenses...they KNEW we were going to run it up the gut..and we STILL did it!!!

That being said..I DO think we will draft a Rb...but I think we will wait until the later rounds to either take a small school project or a Rb that may need a year or two to learn a playbook and get some weight room work.

I am (at this time) projected a Tennessee product as our 1st round pick. NT Dan Williams is a high character...high motor prospect that would look great beside Ziggy for the next 4 years!!!!

Yeah, I admit Williams is good (I hate to say about anybody from UT...ugh), but if we get a defensive player in the 1st round I say get a DB who can give Troy some help...who is not afraid to wrestle somebody for a ball to get a pick!

Texasteel
12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I admit Williams is good (I hate to say about anybody from UT...ugh), but if we get a defensive player in the 1st round I say get a DB who can give Troy some help...who is not afraid to wrestle somebody for a ball to get a pick!

You may get your wish if for some reason Haden or one of the top safety's are there. As far as Gerhart is concerned, I have not been able to watch him this year, but he does sound good. However I too think we go after a RB later on in the draft, much later than Gerhart will be going.

But you never know, there is alway hope till someone else takes him.

SteelMember
12-16-2009, 01:01 PM
You may get your wish if for some reason Haden or one of the top safety's are there. As far as Gerhart is concerned, I have not been able to watch him this year, but he does sound good. However I too think we go after a RB later on in the draft, much later than Gerhart will be going.

But you never know, there is alway hope till someone else takes him.

Think of a guy like Urlacker as a running back. That's almost close. :chuckle:

He is a bruiser, but is also an upright runner. I'd consider him depending on the others options in the 3rd, but a RB is almost a novelty pick for us. I agree with LLT that we will probably go with a late round, small school project.

revefsreleets
12-16-2009, 01:18 PM
I remember another highly touted white Stanford RB..."Touchdown" Tommy Vardell.

He sells annuities now, and collects oriental rugs.

St33lersguy
12-16-2009, 06:30 PM
We have pressing needs at DB and DL and a depth issue at ILB, RB is not our top priority. Plus teams can usually find a RB in the later rounds anyway. I would wait until addressing all our other needs 1st.

MasterOfPuppets
12-16-2009, 11:12 PM

so whats your point ? are you saying because he's "white" , he'll be a bust ? i'm sure if he was from OSU, you'd be claiming him to be the second coming of mike alstot ...:coffee:

jdthree
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM

So with that kind of thinking.... Edwards should've been the next Elway??? NO???:doh:

Steeldude
12-17-2009, 11:03 AM

(rant over)

RB is the least of this team's worries.

Steeldude
12-17-2009, 11:04 AM
i'm sure if he was from OSU, you'd be claiming him to be the second coming of mike alstot ...:coffee:

:toofunny: so true

revefsreleets
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Point is, we have about 10 other needs of higher priority...which is a fact. Why do we need a guy who will play H-back in the NFL?

But PLEASE don't let facts get in the way of bashing me for pointing them out to you...it's always fun to watch the same tired reactions from the same old posters to my comments...:popcorn:

jdthree
12-17-2009, 01:05 PM
But PLEASE don't let facts get in the way of bashing me for pointing them out to you...it's always fun to watch the same tired reactions from the same old posters to my comments...:popcorn:

I just started posting on this site....so that doesn't really apply to me. But thanks for the "heads-up".... I'll take all of your posts' now with a grain of salt. :blah::blah:

Though you are correct on one point..... We do have bigger needs as in a new starter at cb, nt, g, ilb, depth at safety, olb, and ot as well.

But to say that we couldn't use a stud at rb when our short yardage offense has gone from our strength to a weakness in the span of 3-4 years is simply foolish.

Aussie_steeler
12-17-2009, 01:07 PM
If FWP is not resigned I think we do have a need for another RB. Even Meweldes responsibilities have diminished as of late. I dont know if Vincent or Redman are in the future plans of the FO

IMO Gerhart would be a perfect complement to Mendenhall.

jdthree
12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Totally agree.... and an ancillary benefit would be that we might re-evolve back into a running team where Big Ben doesn't have to throw the ball 40+ times a game in order for us to win by a late field-goal..... in OT.

MasterOfPuppets
12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Point is, we have about 10 other needs of higher priority...which is a fact. Why do we need a guy who will play H-back in the NFL?

so pointing out a WHITE GUY from stanford that didn't cut it in the NFL translates to "we have 10 bigger needs" ? now how did i miss that one? here's the only FACTS i saw in your post...
1 tommy vardell was white
2 tommy vardell played for stanford
3 tommy vardell sells annuities and collects oriental rugs
( don't know that #3 is a fact...but i'll take your word on it )

..guess my reading comprehension is a lil off... ..:huh:

i guess picking up short yardage first downs isn't a need ? i mean when the coach uses the failures of the top back to consistently pick up short yardage 1st downs as the main excuse for throwing on 3rd and short, then maybe that suggest they need another back that can. apparently since they stood pat on the linemen they don't feel they're the problem... arians still runs the same formations and plays, so they must feel that's not the problem... so by process of elimination that only leaves backfield personel...

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Gerhart isn't going to be a top-flight RB at the next level. He's faster than he looks, but that's about it. He's not a cut-back kind of guy, more just straight-ahead running. He has no second gear. He can catch, and he's okay in pass protect, but he's not much of a run blocker. He won't play FB because of THOSE factors. If you're looking for a change-of-pace back, OK, but why would we draft a guy who's only slightly bigger than Mendy, slower, and can't do most of the things an NFL back needs to do as well as Mendy or Moore?

And, again, it's fine if you don't like the message I'm delivering. It's cute to see you all bash the messenger, but it no way shape or form changes the validity of the message. We have no need for a player of this caliber, and we won't go after him.

Feel free to carry on, though....

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Oh, and one more thing...

I don't have any agenda here. No bias against this kid or The Cardinal or anything. I've watched him play, and while he looks like a nice college RB, I just don't think he's got what everyone seems to think he has for the next level, and I'm highly skeptical he's going to be a good fit, even if the fans get their wish and we go back to running the ball 75% of the time....

Aussie_steeler
12-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Gerhart isn't going to be a top-flight RB at the next level. He's faster than he looks, but that's about it. He's not a cut-back kind of guy, more just straight-ahead running. He has no second gear. He can catch, and he's okay in pass protect, but he's not much of a run blocker. He won't play FB because of THOSE factors. If you're looking for a change-of-pace back, OK, but why would we draft a guy who's only slightly bigger than Mendy, slower, and can't do most of the things an NFL back needs to do as well as Mendy or Moore?

And, again, it's fine if you don't like the message I'm delivering. It's cute to see you all bash the messenger, but it no way shape or form changes the validity of the message. We have no need for a player of this caliber, and we won't go after him.

Feel free to carry on, though....

Rev - my take on Gerhart

I dont see him playing FB - you are right there.
He most definitely would be a change of play back - yes
He might not have a second gear but that gear does have a hellavu lot of torque that gets a desired job done.

IMO we could use a player of this calibre if he is the BPA when picked. I was keen on Shonn Greene last year and I will admit that I will be placing Gerhart on my draft board. I think he is a footballer, not a guy with great measurables, but a guy that just regularly turns up and plays a helluva game. 4th round would be awesome value.

Many people will express the view that RB needs to be considered somewhere and at the moment I just dont see a whole lot of options out there. I am looking forward ,as always, to the bowl games to see the performance of many RB's in the upcoming bowl games. Why? because I think they present a better option than picking up somenone like LenDale White via free agency.

I dont ever want the steelers to be a team that runs 75% of the time. I just want to see the steelers as a team that is able to convert short yardage situations with a little more success than they currently do.

I totally see your message and i am fine with it. Just let me know if I am guilty of bashing the messenger.

I have been playing with some university specific mocks, but I will hold off on those as it may be interpreted that I am attacking individuals. QUESTION - how would you feel if I posted a set of serious OSU vs ALABAMA vs FLORIDA vs TEXAS (or any other big name schools) specific mocks??? I think it would be a fun challenge -- not a personal attack.

43Hitman
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
so whats your point ? are you saying because he's "white" , he'll be a bust ? i'm sure if he was from OSU, you'd be claiming him to be the second coming of mike alstot ...:coffee:

Yeah, I don't understand that comment either....What does him being "white" have anything to do with whether or not we need him. Me thinks Revs is going a bit looney lately. First Gin is going to be all world now this guy is gonna be a bust because he is white...Lay off the eggnog Revs.:coffee:

43Hitman
12-18-2009, 03:27 PM

If it was all about facts, then why would you bring up that he is white? I don't see you saying the kid from where ever who is "black" is going to tear it up next year.

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm not allowed to use a little levity any more? I must always be 100% serious in every post? In other words "Lighten up, Francis".

Anyway, I appreciate your post, Aussie...if the kid is there in the middle rounds, then he's definitely worth the pick. But he's NOT first or second round talent (although I've seen him rated as high as the 50th best player in the 2010 draft). We'll be picking in the middle of the first and second rounds and we cannot afford to waste those picks by reaching...

If I was too harsh, and I offended, my humble apologies...but the thread SEEMED to be all about picking this kid at any cost, and that's unfathomable at this point in time for the Steelers.

It is a TAD ironic though, that when I recommend waiting a few rounds for mid-round talent for a kid who put up awesome, first round STATS (i.e. Coleman), I'm mocked for confusing him WITH first round talent, but when I do the same exact thing with another player, I'm mocked for not RECOGNIZING the level of talent of the player.

So, um...which is it? Coleman IS first round talent and I was wrong, or Gerhart is and I was wrong? On a level playing field, I can't be wrong about both....

MasterOfPuppets
12-18-2009, 07:09 PM
revs there's nothing wrong wrong with being a homer and pimpin your guy. we're all guilty of it. but to try to discredit a 1st team All American with false claims just to push your OSU bias on others by claiming a Big 10 2nd teamer as a better "value" pick , and a more "rounded" player.reguardless of what round he's projected to go in is just a bit over the top. if he truley was a more rounded player than the best DB prospect in the class, then why in the hell is he NOT projected in the 1 st round ? apparently coleman has flaws in his game that berry doesn't.

Coleman has better stats, and is only a few pounds lighter. Berry is also weak against the run. Wait a round or two and you get a guy who's half a step slower but a more rounded player in Coleman.

revefsreleets
12-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I DO think Berry is weak against the run. He does tackle, so he's not another Deion, but he's no second coming of Ed Reed either.

My assertion is this: We re-sign Clark, keep the starting tandem of Clark and Troy, keep Mundy and Carter for depth, and sign a guy LIKE Coleman (if not Coleman himself) in the 3rd or so....

We will NOT draft Berry in the first, even if we're their...doesn't make sense...

Aussie_steeler
12-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I DO think Berry is weak against the run. He does tackle, so he's not another Deion, but he's no second coming of Ed Reed either.

My assertion is this: We re-sign Clark, keep the starting tandem of Clark and Troy, keep Mundy and Carter for depth, and sign a guy LIKE Coleman (if not Coleman himself) in the 3rd or so....

We will NOT draft Berry in the first, even if we're their...doesn't make sense...

We need a quality SS to sit behind Troy. He will get a couple of starts a year and when that happens he will need to be a TAD better than Tyrone Carter.

We also need a quality FS that can sit behind Clark for maybe a year and eventually be his replacement.

IF at all possible is their a man out their in the draft who could backup both FS and SS better than Mundy and Carter. ...............Morgan Burnett, Chad Jones, Darryl Stuckey and even Coleman dare I say it.

Still take Gerhart if he is available in the fourth. FWP picked up some good yards tonight but what will he cost next year. Too much for 5 - 7 carries a game

SteelMember
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm not allowed to use a little levity any more? I must always be 100% serious in every post? In other words "Lighten up, Francis"

Problem is, most people usually introduce levity with some light heartedness, while attempting to be funny... but your just not funny.

revefsreleets
12-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Anyway, I did some reading on this...he SOUNDS like the real deal, I guess:

He's being compared to big, workhorse type backs. He's surprisingly fast, clocking a surprising 4.48 40. He's mentally tough. He never fumbled at Stanford. He never had a PENALTY called against him at Stanford. In fact, one scout had this to say about him: "He is a very, very, very good football player," said Smith. "But more important, he's a fine person. If my daughter were going to marry a football player, I'd want her to bring him home." Smith stops, sighs and says, "Sounds too good to be true, doesn't he?".

He was instrumental in big wins for the Cardinal. He's big, and strong and fast. He can catch. He blocks with reckless abandon. He's smart (well, he HAS to be to go to Stanford), but he's even smart by their high standards. He's set all kinds of records. He came out of nowhere to gain national notoriety. He'll likely be a very high draft pick.

Does anyone, based on this information, know what the one problem with him is?

taztroy43
01-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing this guy in black and gold....if he's there in the 3rd or 4th.....I think we should take a chance on him....the Steelers can develop him...

BlackNGold88
01-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Id rather have CJ Spiller or Javhid Best. Both are homerun hitters we need at RB. Unless Parker comes back which I dont see happening.

taztroy43
01-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I agree on CJ Spiller....but he's a 1st round pick....and Best...he's a great athlete....but i think he'll have injury problems in the NFL....he's no Maurice Jones-Drew!!!

tony hipchest
02-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Anyway, I did some reading on this...he SOUNDS like the real deal, I guess:

He's being compared to big, workhorse type backs. He's surprisingly fast, clocking a surprising 4.48 40. He's mentally tough. He never fumbled at Stanford. He never had a PENALTY called against him at Stanford. In fact, one scout had this to say about him: "He is a very, very, very good football player," said Smith. "But more important, he's a fine person. If my daughter were going to marry a football player, I'd want her to bring him home." Smith stops, sighs and says, "Sounds too good to be true, doesn't he?".

He was instrumental in big wins for the Cardinal. He's big, and strong and fast. He can catch. He blocks with reckless abandon. He's smart (well, he HAS to be to go to Stanford), but he's even smart by their high standards. He's set all kinds of records. He came out of nowhere to gain national notoriety. He'll likely be a very high draft pick.

Does anyone, based on this information, know what the one problem with him is?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/chirpingcrickets.jpg

that he is white? :hunch:

are you gonna tell us, or do we gotta keep guessing?

mulldog24
02-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I was able to watch a few Stanford games last year and was impressed with Gerheart. He showed more burst and speed than I thought he had. If he is a high character tough RB/FB type I say we grab him, a guy like that can only help our team. He reminds me of a faster John Riggins.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I wouldnt take gerhart unless he is there in the fifth round.

Vincent
02-18-2010, 09:03 AM

That would be the sensible pick. While its a need pick, it might play out to be a BPA pick as well. Regardless, Danno looks like a 10 year fixture to me.

D'ya think Monty Kiffin has spoken to MT about this young man?

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2010, 11:24 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/chirpingcrickets.jpg

that he is white? :hunch:

are you gonna tell us, or do we gotta keep guessing?

:doh: whenever you you say it it just comes off as racist instead of enlightend intelligence....:shake01: anywho the CORRECT answer is he didn't play for OSU, thus making him an inferior athlete destined to be a salesman. :toofunny:

Aussie_steeler
02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Gerhart kind of reminds me of Ron Dayne.

He has bullied the college ranks this year but I have my concerns whether he can do it in the pros.

Its just that time of year where our gut talks starts to talk to us a little more.

If FWP goes I think a burner type RB needs to be taken. Isnt Redman meant to be the endzone man??

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Anthony Dixon, Ben Tate, LeGarrett Blount , Joique Bell.......there are all kinds of kids in the draft that can be a #2 RB. I think somebody is gonna spend a 2nd on Gerhardt and we dont need to.

Steeldude
02-19-2010, 04:40 AM
He never fumbled at Stanford

didn't he fumble 5 times in his senior year?

Nadroj 20
02-19-2010, 09:55 AM
didn't he fumble 5 times in his senior year?

Nope he never fumbled

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188524

mulldog24
02-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Anthony Dixon, Ben Tate, LeGarrett Blount , Joique Bell.......there are all kinds of kids in the draft that can be a #2 RB. I think somebody is gonna spend a 2nd on Gerhardt and we dont need to.

I agree with you, while I like Gerhardt alot I also think that we have other needs we have to address early on in the draft.

jollyrob68
02-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Toby Gerhart in the 4th or 5th.